IMDb > Drive (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Drive More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 123: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

There is half of a good movie here...

Author: marijumanji from Canada
11 June 2012

To be sure, Drive has it's moments. The actors don't let the material down at all, this is a clear case of an editor not knowing when and where to trim. The movie contains a half dozen exceptional set-pieces, but mixed with this is some dialogue "so corny it would make the pope weep" and long boring stretches that make the viewer want to yell "step on it!".

The mortar holding the project together is a unique score by Cliff Martinez that adds an eerie 80's vibe to the entire thing. Bryan Cranston is decent but isn't given much to work with. By the time Albert Brooks waddles into frame for the 2nd or 3rd time I was thoroughly bored. Despite the hype and aspirations to be something greater than it is, Drive suffers from childish dialogue and bad pacing. The opening scene is truly awesome, it's too bad they can't follow it up at all.

There are plenty of interesting bits in "drive" but the whole is weaker than the sum of it's parts.

Stylized and beautiful !

Author: sylvainab7 from Canada
10 April 2012

I just watched this movie and wow , i was transported in the world of Nicolas Winding Refn . Did not know Nicolas Winding Refn before this movie , but boy does he have style and finesse , he must have been inspired by Michael Mann , especially the fluidity of the camera sequences , some dreamy like scenes , the colors and the musical score are all the ingredients for a very special art work film , and this movie shines !

It has a very mature look . The sure direction assures a sure acting , you actually have the feeling of something special behind this with the start credit . The very first scene feels almost like a video game , trance like (a la Need for speed) ... it's just a synchronized feel with the music and the movement blending with beautiful texture and colors , very 80's look with a modern touch ...i love it !

The angles and the camera shots are interesting . The actors game are very controlled and composed especially Ryan Gosling . Perfect !

I like the montage of this movie very much . The story is easy to follow and very well portrayed . The time line is well done . I actually re-watched it and boy it was a treat . When you want to re-watch a movie it's a good sign of the production and the coolness of it ,the last time i re-watched a movie was Thief by Michael Mann..loll.

It as the same kind of feel as Thief , very similar ?!

You feel the human side of the characters .It contains substance and has magic moments as if time stopped sometimes , it's a deep and profound picture . I find movies to be like paintings sometimes , some people like Picasso , some don't , some will love Dali , some wont but art is kind of touchy , anyways if you like realistic smooth cool mature looking with style pictures well this one is for you .

I personally loved it so I give it an 8/10 .

(for a good suggestion , watch Thief from Michael Mann , James Caan is absolutely perfect in it)

Author: Jack` Harding from United Kingdom
9 April 2012

"You don't need to know the route." states a mysterious figure down a phone while standing in the window of some trashy L.A motel room. "You give me a time and a place, I give you a five minute window. Anything happens in that five minutes and I'm yours. No matter what. Anything happens a minute either side of that and you're on your own. Do you understand?" What follows is a slick yet savvy getaway drive handled by the film's nameless and soon to be iconic hero (Ryan Gosling). This edgy prologue is rounded off by the word "Drive" scrawled across the screen in fluorescent pink to the thumping sound of some electro eighties throwback track. The opening credits role and so begins the coolest film of 2011.

Director Nicolas Winding Refn revs up the romance in this retro metro, neo noire reverie. Drive is an instant cult classic and a career defining film for both Refn and lead man Gosling: measured, memorable and ultra violent. A modern day Taxi Driver with shades of Memento and like a 1970's Scorsese, Winding Refn appears to be a cut above the current crop when it comes to producing compulsive indie pictures with a semi-mainstream lure. In the hands of a lesser director, Drive could've had the facade of a straightforward, pedal to the metal Hollywood action flick. Instead, it has the look, sound and feel of something familiar yet somehow different: the heart and soul of a esoteric European art-house film in the guise of a romantic, idyllic American b-movie. There's a guy, a girl, gangsters, guns, chase scenes, heroes and villains. And Ron Pearlman. And what can only be described as an "epic" soundtrack. "The studios wanted me to use more western, 'radio friendly' music with guys like Kayne West" snarled Refn in a recent BBC interview, "which proves they don't know what the hell they're talking about." Amen.

Make no mistake about it, Refn's unruly rendition of James Sallis' noire novel is his own kind of movie. It's not one for the low-brow, dumbed down Hollywood crowd. Nor the squeamish. He's done it his way. This is a character driven tale of good vs. evil and not necessarily the power of love, but the idea of love. The near inaudible relationship between Gosling's driver and the beautiful Irene (a radiant Carrey Mulligan) is more spiritual than physical. It forms the basis of the plot and is simple enough: Gosling's enigmatic mechanic (who's something of a beast behind the wheel) strikes up a bond with neighbour Irene and her young son Benicio. A surrogate dad appears to be on the cards but then jailbird bio-dad shows up and derails the dream. He owes money and favours to the wrong kind of people. They want him to handle a heist for them. Dad needs a driver. You can see where this is going. The job goes tits up and our driver goes to great and gory lengths to protect his new found loves. Escapism. Fantasy. True Romance. Take your pick.

Drive is a subtle yet savage masterstroke. A pure dream and Refn's most accomplished work to date and surely Gosling's signature role. He is to Drive what Eastwood is to Sergio Leone's Dollar westerns. A deep and ever present anti hero with a badass wardrobe who just has that look about him. He needn't say much. He needn't say anything. But when he does its compelling. Much like the film itself.

Bronson director Refn's recurring urge to explore complex characters with psychotic, ultra violent tendencies to the sound of some killer tunes invite comparisons to not just Scorsese but Tarrantino. Drive is, after all, a cool genre cocktail riddled with crime, revenge, suspense, death and love that's clearly inspired by styles and eras gone by.

Ryan Gosling's measured turn affirms his brewing reputation as one of the most gifted leading actors in modern cinema. Expect more from him. Expect more from Mulligan, Refn and expect to hear a lot more about this absolute gem of a film for many years to come. See it.

Not for everybody but I LOVED this movie

Author: Ankhenaten91 from Jacksonville, FL
1 February 2012

I am a movie geek and I have been my whole life. This movie represents what I love in movies. Well crafted story, great writing and great direction. I rented this movie yesterday at Redbox and found it to be so well crafted that I watched it again (I don't usually do that.

I grew up in Los Angeles and when I loved about this movie is that it gives you a real sense of the city and it's dirty underbelly that is usually missed in more common films.

Ryan Gosling is so good in this movie because he isn't the prototypical bad ass that you usually would see in a movie like this and that is what I loved about it. Here is a character who is equally quiet but nice guy who obviously has a lot of history but nothing is mentioned or anything acknowledged up front.

The tone is fantastic and I love that the director avoided the classic clichés that are so rampant in movies like this by giving us what is essentially a "B" movie and fills it with great actors and allows them to do what they do best. WOW!

Albert Brooks is the Oscar snub of the year by far and I don't know how. Here is a guy who is always good at what he does and is a brilliant comedian but here he is a former small time movie producer who has deep roots in the criminal underworld and is so convincing that you have a hard time believing that this is the same guy from Lost in America or Nemo's dad. Nuance is the best tool in the performance and I can tell you that this is an understated performance that is so layered you just can't help but feel for the guy even though he is a brutal killer. He wants to be a nice guy but his actions and his business don't allow him to be.

No movie was as cool and more riveting from start to finish than this one. It is my favorite movie of 2011, case closed.

I must have missed the boat, sorry "car" on this

Author: dcobbimdb
19 August 2012

On the one hand I can try to admire the semi originality of the look, feel and interaction between the actors during scenes, but sadly at best it just simply reminded me of many foreign films I've seen. Some of which have been good and yet while this film did have so many foreign aspects including lead characters not to mention the director I can't help but lump it in to that category even though it supposedly took place in LA (yet no LA like I ever knew and lived in for many years). Yet this film also borders on the artsy / indie aspect as well. So in that aspect you'll either probably really like or just not get this film.

In the end for me it didn't work. Yeah I like the whole idea of this James Dean lead character who played it cool through everything, but it just doesn't come off as realistic, least to me. The social scenes just seemed awkward and I couldn't help but think if any person or woman met this guy in real life would immediately think "what a freak..." I mean seriously when you ask somebody something and they just stare at you back you're either thinking mentally impaired or just plain stupid. So while the movie tries to ride this wave and maybe for others it worked, but for me it for the most part went over like a bad 'B' 80's horror flick.

That said, the character did start to grow on me after a while and there were a couple decent action and driving scenes, and a part of me can somewhat appreciate this whole artistic approach taken which is the only reason I gave it a 4/10 and I'm struggling at that and really thought the end just sucked and was so underdone. I certainly wouldn't give it a second watch and am pretty amazed at it getting nearly an 8/10 score here and maybe that was my mistake going in was the high expectation. Oh well to each their own and I guess in this one I'm the minority who just didn't get it

Author: gammerath-715-500161 from Denmark
18 June 2013

This movies tries so hard to be something different, something new, and it fails big time. While the build up is fairly intriguing, it doesn't really lead anywhere. The characters are totally numb. You wouldn't feel a thing if any of the main characters died, as you never get to know them. There's no moral to the story. There's no ending. There's no beginning. There's no point. This movie is very much like a dream. Something you can't explain very well and very vague and incoherent. The acting is good, but at same time non-existing. There's very little to identify your self with. The cinematography is the only good thing to mention about this movie.

Author: Jonathan Burton from United States
14 April 2013

This film really had me expecting something action packed, dramatic, and intense. Instead it left me feeling dazed, tired ,and bored. This film had No plot, Very anti climactic action and violence scenes, and the dialogue was awkward and uncomfortable. The music was terrible, and it had almost no driving scenes at all. Really over rated, and misleading. I'm not one to judge another opinion, but i can't see how one can find this movie a masterpiece. It was very slow, and the story and characters developed very poorly. All in all, very boring film, and very disappointing. Only good thing about this movie was the very little violence. I wasted an hour and 37 minutes on this boring piece of crap, when i could have watched a good movie.

Overrated pretentious flick, that doesn't know what it wants to be...

Author: Osmosis Iron from Estonia
9 March 2012

This movie was one of the biggest dissappontments to me in years. It has been praised to death by critics and regular moviegoers alike, and has tons of fanboys ready to defend it to the grave. So no wonder I had high expectations. But I was expecting something different(better)than what I ended up getting.

It starts promisingly enough with a fairly good opening scene and a promising start to the movie. But don't get excited, it goes downhill fast. We soon find out that the main character is either retarded, or is just a sociopath, but not in a good way that would be entertaining to watch(Joker, Alex Delarge etc), but rather a boring version of Norman Bates. Silent, emotionless and brutally violent if needed. But only a few times during the movie, it's like the movie knows it's boring and has to throw something at us once in awhile...

Speaking of boring and emotionless, the movie is FULL of excessive slow-mo and "artsy" shots of people doing nothing. For a movie called DRIVE I sure expected more car chases, we got two quite short and not particularly jaw dropping ones.

Watching this movie I thought what were they thinking, who is the target audience? It was almost physically painful to sit through all the long scenes where nothing is even said. And the slow-mo got more and more comical till it just was WTF seriously again in slow mo? I guess the main character's brain also worked in slow mo! I feel that at least half of the people "liking" it, are doing so cause it's "hip" to like it! I have seen over 1500 movies, and this just might be the most baffling to me.. Maybe I just don't get it, but if so, I don't feel as if I have lost anything more than maybe the time watching this.

They even managed to make Christina Hendricks look unattractive for god's sake! Didn't think it was possible before I saw this...

The most over rated film in the history of man kind

Author: headbanginCJ from United Kingdom
15 June 2013

Now I'm no movie critic and don't claim to know anything about film making but this film just amazed me.

Picture the setting, I have just got Netflix and remember my friend telling me about this 'amazing' film. Sure enough it has 7.9 on IMDb, so I watch it.

THIS FILM IS SO SLOW. Seriously, I counted 43 seconds of when shot of his face near the end just to see him (Driver as he's called on IMDb) blink. His sorta weird relationship thingy girl asks him a question and it literally takes him 10+ seconds to answer. Don't try and tell me this is art, it's just garbage.

RYAN GOSLING PLAYS THE WORST TOUGH GUY I HAVE SEEN. What is up with the voice cracks? Could they not re-shoot? Did they not have enough time to get rid of two voice cracks in a minute dialogue. 'How 'bout this. You shut your mouth. Or I'll kick your teeth down your throat and I'll shut it for you.' - Yeah great delivery, I am so scared. Of course, every tough guy takes a bit longer to respond to questions to create tension, but these lengths of time are mind-numbing.

However, apart from the zero character development of our driver who happens to be a mechanic, a stunt driver, a get away driver and proficient with a shotgun and some completely unnecessary violence, the chase scenes were okay, mainly because it didn't involve any acting.

Maybe I'm just missing something, but this is just the view of an avid film watcher who isn't drawn into the 'brilliance' of emperors new clothes...

Brilliantely done!

Author: siminel from Switzerland
15 March 2012

This is my first review ever because I got annoyed by some nasty comments I've read here.

I think humankind has lost its perception about what's good and what's bad in movie industry. With all the Transporters, Transformers, all the Fast and Furious series and the look alike, they give bad reviews about Drive because it lacks all the clichés from the previous mentioned. I feel bad for them because they're blind in front of a masterpiece and cheerful and encouraging to blockbusters made only to appear in cinema just for the money and fame.

I admit, I wanted to see this movie because of Ryan Gosling. And once again, he did not disappoint me. I've seen most of his movies and I think this is his best role, yet. I rarely see a performance like his in Drive and when I see it, I know it will be stuck in my mind for a long time. If I wasn't already a fan, I would've become after Drive. The way he plays The Driver was worthy of an Oscar and it's a pity he was not put in the race for the award.

I loved everything about it. The director did an amazing job, making this movie. All of the actors were wonderful in their roles and there were some moments absolutely breathtaking. I give it 10/10.