IMDb > Drive (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Drive More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 123: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

My First Review.

Author: Jacob Krag from Denmark
17 January 2015

So this is my first review on IMDb and have to say, all my others reviews is going be short written like this one, Okay so i was pretty much excited for this film because one of my friends told me that it was very good, but wow i was disappointed.

Just to say, I know this film was made to look like a 60 or 70 kind of a movie but still..

This movie has an okay start, but later into the movie its turning out to be really awkward, because the main person in this movie doesn't really speak that much, he always takes about 7 or 10 seconds to answer an simple question and it's going to be annoying as f"ck.. Later on in the movie I thought it was going to be better but still no..

And the rest of the Movie was decent, i pretty much laughed when the movie ended.

The plot is okay but really boring, The way the movie was captured is the only thing that is great, The movie seems to be a little bit unrealistic and the film itself is to much overrated.

4 out of 10 stars from me.

Unbelievable disappointment

Author: em-k-petkov from Bulgaria
16 December 2014

The film is unbelievably meaningless. Takes several directions and doesn't exploit and satisfy any of them. It ends nowhere and you don't understand why it began in the first place.

Very pretentious, some obvious and pathetic attempts at copying the style of other directors into a tasteless mishmash.

Shallow plot, if there is any intended, and dull screenplay which actually matches the whole idiocy. Really - zero happening on top of a stupid action story.

Ryan Gosling and Carey Mulligan stand up to their talents and act well, but that doesn't really help the movie. Matter of fact, it is quite bewildering to see two such actors starring in such a sheer nonsense. Doesn't really do them any justice. On the bright side, you are going to forget the movie, if you watch it that is, very very quickly.

A Waste of TIme.

Author: NOEL DALE (proof-films) from Durham, NC
21 January 2014

When it comes to film making, I'm all for innovation, and new trends to create a masterpiece or just a good piece of work! Drive is an attempt which tragically fails on all ends.

This film is just wrong on everything! The Character development is a piece of crap! Well there is none. Our protagonist, if you can call him that, had an undeveloped characterization which is used as an excuse for him being mysterious. I'm all for mystery, but not in a movie titled "Drive{ which opens with a car chase and robbery. The main character's emotions were all over the place? Maybe he was psychotic, but usually in a movie you can tell if someone is a psychotic character or not. The characterization contradicts himself by being compassionate at certain times. Is that a socio-path? Maybe. But not quite like any I've ever seen in a film!The development of this character is all over the place and I don't know if any one who viewed it received a clear cut answer on what type of guy the "Driver" is.

The next issue I had with the movie is the script. Now given, some films don't have a solid plot, but those films are usually followed up with pretty strong characterizations, point of views, and action which this film lacked at necessary times to be what I considered a good film. Certain scenes drag out too long not adding to the story of the film. We don't find out what this movie is about until after 45 minutes into it. That's too long to hook you audience. So in my opinion, this film lacked a strong plot, and strong character's. There was no sense or realism associated with the time period as well!

Bad Acting! The acting was shitty! It just wasn't good. Which I'm not saying the actors in the film can't act, I feel that the poorly developed characters led to no real dramatic performances or excitement, which is another contradiction because the film starts off as if it is going to be and action film and gets very melancholy and dramatic.

The Title of the film is misleading! There was not enough driving in this damn film to be called Drive!. It should've been called " Road to Nowhere" or some crap like that! I believe the Director was trying to create a new type of film making, and it just failed! The emotion was all of a certain points in the film!

Also how the hell is a Chrylser 400 supposed to keep up with a mustang 5.0! A major contradiction in this film! It just sucked! I gave it 2 stars because the cinematography was good!

This film made me very angry! I saw it for free! Thank goodness I don't go the movies anymore! I would've demanded my money back or a ticket to see something else.

Real hero

Author: guniko
26 August 2013

Driver(Ryan Gosling) is a mysterious protagonist. The movie takes place in present time and we don't know anything about his past or his future. He doesn't have a name. We know that he is a professional getaway driver and he seems to be living a low profile life before he meets his next-door neighbors. A mother and her son...

We don't know why he was driving around before but from that moment on, his actions are driven only by love. He embraces them as his own family and protects them instinctively. He becomes their 'hero' but can't protect them from getting hurt. The controlling idea of the movie is "A real human being' can be 'a real hero' only to the limit that his/her environment (destiny) allows." Director presents this complex character almost like a cowboy in a wild terrain. Extreme long shots of him in the middle of nowhere, driving his car to the close ups of the face that has little clues of emotion…

I have mixed feelings about this film.

Author: bg11215-366-263177 from Los Angeles, CA
7 April 2013

On the one hand, there is some directorial brilliance in it, and the cinematography is brilliant. It's beautifully stylized, the work of an auteur. However, it also contains some EXTREME violence, to the point that it was very disturbing to me and I wished I hadn't seen it (the motel scene, elevator scene to name but two of the five or six scenes containing extreme violence). Some people might be able to stomach it, but it was so gruesome & graphic that I really truly wish that I hadn't seen it. I am of the opinion that excessive violence is not needed to tell a story.

Moving on to the actual story, I found that it dragged in places, particularly around the 30-40 minute mark, where I began to wonder "is this going to go anywhere"? Then the story lines slowly developed, but remained however a bit under-developed. But for the kind of movie that it is, I don't think this is particularly a handicap; this type of violent action thriller doesn't need a deep story; some high speed car chases and shootouts apparently will do just fine.

Ryan Gossling's understated portrayal of his character was both a bit confusing and brilliant. He says so little during most of his scenes that it had me wondering, "is there any emotional depth to this character?" That question was soon answered in the way that Gossling proceeds to pick off his adversaries one by one, which was kind of bad-ass. Part of the main story line was a bit muddled (for me anyway), and again, I just wish that I had known about the violence ahead of time so that I could have looked away during certain scenes. Extreme violence is apparently this director's trademark.

To summarize: again there was some brilliance in this film, but I wish that they had focused more on developing the story and in finding alternate ways of portraying the story than resorting to the shock value of such extremely disturbing violence. That's why I only gave it 5 stars.

This is why I love films

Author: Jenny_4120 from United States
29 January 2013

This film is just one of those movies that wakes you up because of its uniqueness and makes you realize that not all movie scenes and plots you can expect. Almost every movie out there, are so predictable. You can judge a movie based on how many explosions there are, or if there's a love affair, how it'll turn out in the end. The fact is, however, the movie "Drive" follows more of an unconventional, yet more realistic plot. I won't say what happens, but just know that it's not what you think. In my viewing of the movie, I knew right off the bat that I couldn't expect a single thing to happen. I was sucked into the movie because I had to know what was going to happen. To my surprise, what actually happened was neither what I expected nor what I didn't expect. Up until the end of the movie, the movie itself was playing with my mind, telling me "this is how it is" not "this is how you would have wanted it". I enjoyed it immensely, and I hope other viewers will do the same, if they haven't already.

If David Lynch directed The Transporter

Author: Shawn Watson from The Penumbra
15 January 2013

Ryan Gosling overtakes Jason Statham as the stoic man behind the wheel. Like his bald-headed rival he gets into trouble when distracted by a woman and is hurled into a plot involving gangsters and hit men. While Louis Leterrier's French thriller tried so hard to be Hollywood, Danish director Nicolas Winding Refn's LA-based thriller tries very hard to be European, and takes the viewer on a ride down a lost highway.

At the same time it also comes across as a secret remake of Walter Hill's The Driver. All of these films are very, very similar, but Drive is the best of them. It's difficult to comprehensively review the movie as it is very minimalistic and focuses more on atmosphere and the quiet moments in between dialogue rather than action and twists. It's a wonderful movie to look at though, and I do want to complain about how problematic the morals and values of the unnamed 'Driver' are, but if it is the intention to make him morally ambiguous then I guess it is successful. It doesn't make for a great character regardless of how smooth Gosling plays him.

The violence is harrowing and brutal, as it is in real life. Nicolas Winding Refn seems to understand that there is no action in real life, there is only violence, and it's brutal and ugly and not something any sane person wants to happen to them. In this respect it is far more grown-up than The Transporter but cannot be praised as being a 'better' film as it is still sold on style and visuals. The substance takes a back seat and the movie apologetically delivers what it wants without feeling the need to scream for attention. I have to respect it for that.

Drove me the right way

Author: Maz Murdoch (asda-man) from United Kingdom
11 January 2013

I wasn't really too sure with what to expect with Drive. People were calling it an incredibly slow art-house movie, which I don't mind at all, I'm quite fond of the odd good art-house movie e.g. "We Need To Talk About Kevin" is a firm favourite of mine. I also had high expectations however, as a lot of people were raving about it like it was the greatest achievement of film ever! So I went in with an open mind and found myself being very fond of it. Drive is a film which I shall definitely give a second run around the block again.

Drive opens fantastically! It perfectly captures the dangers of being a get-away driver. It's a thrilling chase scene with Ryan Gosling trying to evade the police and is beautifully shot. It tries to rely more on realism than go for the cheap quick-cut and shaky-cam thrills which the Fast and the Furious franchise aims to deliver. Drive takes a slower pace and has much more of an interest in character than action, which is a good thing to me. The slow direction perfectly conveys the loneliness of Ryan Gosling, but also shows that he's in control. He's a severely calm and methodical person, who you wouldn't really like to get on the wrong side with.

The main show in Drive is the near-perfect directing, cinematography and lighting. Drive is a master-class in these elements as it's obvious that every shot was set up with great care and precision. There's not one piece of lighting out of place and the cinematography is quite astounding at times. It's incredibly easy on the eyes and carries a very cool charm with it. I loved the realism of the film and the shocking violence was used with reason, and almost reminiscent of a Haneke film, with short and shocking bursts of extreme violence. However, like Goodfellas, it is used to show the nasty and unglamourous side of the mob industry.

I also really liked the love story told. There's some chemistry between Ryan and Carey, and although they don't really say a lot to each other, the connection between them is definitely there. Things between to hot up when Carey's husband is released from jail and things take quite an unpredictable turn for the worst. The final half hour or so may be slow, but it is still undeniably thrilling and realistic. There a some beautifully shot sequences that will stay with me for a long time. The finale is also very gripping, and you care about the characters involved.

Overall, there's something about Drive that makes it unique and different to other films. It has certainly got under my skin and is an experience I shall look forward to again. The soundtrack perfectly engulfs the retro feel of the film and the directing is almost as stylish as Tarantino. Lovers of dialogue may be disappointed but there is certainly more dialogue than what some people say. I was expecting a film like "Hunger" where nothing's said for what feels like an hour, until a non-stop 15 minute talk-fest! Drive is nothing like that. It just takes a somewhat different and unconventional approach from the average Hollywood production. Drive's a film of quality and one I won't be forgetting in a hurry!

Have Action Films Really Deteriorated To This!!??

Author: Dalbert Pringle from New Zealand
24 June 2014

Unlike a typical Tarantino film where its characters just about talk you to death, Drive is a film whose characters, like speechless dummies, literally silenced you to death. I'm not kidding.

The complete absence of normal, everyday dialogue that should've taken place between its characters was so noticeably missing from Drive's story that it began to give me a serious case of brain-freeze. I mean, Drive took the meaning of being mind-numbingly dull to a whole new level of dreariness.

In particular - It was that absolutely stunned, goose-on-the-loose, Ryan Gosling, whose lapses into braindead silence were mind-boggling beyond belief. Gosling is truly one dead-charisma actor who puts the likes of Vin Diesel to absolute shame when it comes to projecting total hollowness on screen.

When it came to Gosling's character, Drive was not the sort of film where this person's silence represented someone who was deeply philosophical. No. It was actually quite the opposite here. Gosling's silence was not cool. It was not masculine. It was just a completely vacant nothingness.

I couldn't help noticing that whenever Gosling spoke any line of dialogue that exceeded more than 5 words it appeared like he was actually struggling to remember what to say.

In my opinion, this film never came to life. It's excessive violence and over-the-top gore (that came way too late in the show) couldn't save it. And the use of haunting soundtrack music and ariel views of L.A. at night only served as a distraction from the fact that Drive was nothing but a big, dull bore.

This film also lost itself some major points by the use of blatant product placement while the Gosling character went shopping at the Big 6 Market.

And, last, but not least - I think that actress Carey Mulligan is an absolute dog. (arf! arf!) This woman is so unattractively scrawny (almost like a young boy) and possesses absolutely no sexual allure, whatsoever, that it boggles the mind that any guy, even that drip Gosling, could get at all excited over a pathetic scrag like this one.

The "aw-shucks" romance that transpired between the Gosling and Mulligan characters was a literal joke and a half.

And - Drive's ending was a total empty-headed cop-out. It left the viewer suspended (along with the main character) in a void of pure nothingness.

And - The utterly sickening sight of that dirty, filthy, crud-encrusted, "scorpion" jacket that the Gosling character continually wore, day and night, throughout the entire duration of the story really began to make my skin crawl, big-time. (ick!) And I can't tell you how many times I wished that this nitwit had accidentally swallowed and choked on that toothpick that he had forever dangling out of his mouth! (Grrrr!)

And, finally (phew!) - I ask you - Have Action films really deteriorated to the likes of this?? Eh? Have they!!??... Sheesh!

'a guy that rarely speaks drives around for a living.. Chewing a toothpick (so what)'

Author: a-droushiotis
30 June 2013

The recipe did not work for me at all. All the ingredients where there, but the chef... was not. I tried really hard to stay awake. Such a shame. Slow and boring. Tried twice to watch it, and i had to give it a third try. Totally unbalanced with R. Gosling's talent absent throughout the movie. Dark, with loud music, no dialog and numerous pointless scenes, this film is certainly overrated by some reviewers. The director tried hard to push it as an artistic effort but failed in the process. The film had a fair opening (since when can somebody outsmart... a helicopter and half of the police force...chewing a toothpaste and driving around), a plot plot and a bad ending. I had to give it a 5 out of ten because i like Gosling.What a Yawn!!!