IMDb > Drive (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Drive

Drive More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 118: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Best film of 2011

Author: caitlinteitelbaum from United States
20 February 2012

From the credit font to the sound editing, this film was a creative mash-up of everything I love about a good suspense/action film. Its minimalistic approach was beautiful. The use of dead silence in this film is simply deafening at times, such a great inverse way to build suspense. I am extremely impressed with Ryan Gosling's method acting ability. Sociopathic, heroic violence at its most primal level.

Totally agree with you blackmambamark, I thought of "Taxi Driver" too. Stanley Kubrick used silence in The Shining the same way, not many can pull it off with such a seamless cadence. And screw the Oscars, this film deserves at least three nods.

Drive

Author: junkielee from Cairo, Egypt
20 February 2012

This high-acclaimed black noir of our era has accumulated "best-of-the-year" momentum ever since it garnered a Best Director honor for the Denmark prodigy Nicolas Winding Refn (from PUSH trilogy and DRIVE is his Hollywood premier) in Cannes last year.

The film exudes a drastically visual flare almost in every scene, from its one-of-a-kind camera angle, an utterly mind-blowing hue (a mesmerizing contrast between warm orange and ruthless shadow dark). The whole script is as corny as any hacks could write with eyes shut, a point-of- no-return road for a lone hero to save his beloved woman from danger. So plot wise, the film could be a thorough disaster, and here comes our virtuoso director to rescue the film and without embellishing the content, fully showcasing his theatrical aesthetics to fend off the fatigue of the tedious characterization (a taciturn Ryan Gosling can only be beneficial to his staunchest followers, while a dainty Carey Mulligan has too little to display her faculty), among the cast, if one doesn't harbor a over-hyped expectation, Albert Brooks will be a fierily menacing discovery particularly it is creepily against his usual comedic strain.

Subtlety rules, several remarkable shots and tableaux (to wit: the hammer menace in the strip- club's dressing room, the man with a creepy musk in front of the pizzeria before the slaughter with its consequent beach hunt at night and so on) are jaw-droppingly staggering and the violence showcase is harrowingly stylistic, the elevator scene could be on a par with the Gaspar Noé's groundbreakingly grisly IRREVERSIBLE (2002). The film is going to be a classic cult not the least because of all the Oscar snubs it receives, which is confoundingly a congenial sign of its bright future both for the film itself and Mr. Refn's professional career (the latter is even more uncanny regarding the recent vicious curse upon non-American new directors' debut in Hollywood, Refn and Cary Fukunaga from JANE EYRE 2011 are the only jinx-breakers so far).

Ps. the hypnotic soundtrack is the ace, the ending-song COLLEGE'S A REAL HERO is the killing for me.

"Wa.. Wait a second. A REAL film... in 21st century cinema?"

Author: Joseph Stevenson from United Kingdom
19 February 2012

They were my exact words after getting a feel for this film.

I'll be honest; when I first read, "A mysterious Hollywood stuntman, mechanic and getaway driver lands himself in trouble when he helps out his neighbour." I had no interest in viewing this title. I just though it would be too much like Transporter (Jason Statham)and that film bored me to tears; but, boy, was I wrong! Drive is not a movie, it's a piece of art.

My friend convinced me to watch it and I've been thanking him ever since. The film is so stylish and has such a 'noir' feel to it. Definitely the coolest film of 2011.

One thing I can guarantee is you'll be after the soundtrack once you see this film. Absolutely perfect. It is so strange, yet it works for the movie so well. Nicolas Winding Refn ceases to hypnotise me with his fantastic direction and dedication to detail. Ryan Gosling truly shows his stuff in this movie. I was so shocked by some of his actions and equally shocked by his mental threshold. His character is stone face and so mysterious, it's great; and he is, of course, supported by some fantastic actors, one definitely being Bryan Cranston... that man is a God! This is a very unique film and it can't be missed, I'm glad I changed my mind about watching it. After so many tacky flicks, this has restored my faith in cinema.

Breathtaking

Author: Wade Dietzen from United States
21 November 2012

I honestly haven't a clue of where to even start with this film. It has the dark, yet heartwarming story of classic noir films with the modern bite and 80's synth soundtrack of tried-and-true action flicks. This is one of those movies that will literally give you goosebumps, and that allows you to connect with the characters on a tremendous level. The characters in this film do not have the two dimensional, dull delivery that is usually expected from a film of this genre. Every emotion, every word of dialogue, every gesture is delivered with a genuine authenticity that is nothing short of impressive, which is all credited to the exceptional acting displayed in Drive.

Ryan Gosling's role as the "Driver" is one that will be remembered for years to come. His often somber and often mute presence is very chilling albeit showing his courage and emotional strength. He delivers more emotion in his few lines than some actors can do in an entire movie. The taboo romance that brews between him and the "damsel in distress" character Irene (portrayed by Carey Mulligan) is both heartwarming as well as heartbreaking.

The traditional "bad guy" roles, played by Ron Perlman (Nino) and Albert Brooks (Bernie Rose) are those that you would expect in a mobster film such as The Godfather or Goodfellas. Their strong, but not too campy, portrayals of mobsters are a nod to the aforementioned films.

The score for this film, composed by Cliff Martinez (whose other works include Wicker Park and Gray's Anatomy), is a stirring, ambient work of art. With nods to 80's eurosynth pop and electronica, it fits well to the overall tone of the film, which is also accompanied by similar styled songs such as "Real Hero" by College and "Nightcall" by Kavinsky, the former of which being the "theme song" of the film in a way.

Drive, being an adaptation of James Sallis' novel of the same title, is a powerful, riveting, exceptional piece of art. It may seem far fetched to some to call a movie art, but believe you me, this is art. From the moment the end credits were rolling, it has been my absolute favorite movie. Truly impressive.

Did the other reviewers watch a different movie????

Author: talismb from United States
21 April 2012

Wow...lucky for me this only cost 1.20 Rental...I'd feel Really annoyed if I'd actually paid to get into a theater! I'm extremely confused as to how this terrible film could possibly be rated so high on IMDb. It sucks, was one of the worse films in recent memory, I suggest watching the trailer it is masterfully made to make this abortion appear to be a worthwhile film...but don't be fooled it's not. The soundtrack is bad and apparently is simply loud in the middle of a nearly silent film (I was convinced they had some sort of contractual agreement with the lead actor limiting him to 100 words or less.) So I guess there's no real spoiler here other than to say this was a complete waste of time and energy to watch.

A Future Classic

Author: AMichaelL from California, United States
13 January 2012

It's hard to describe this film with any other word than classic. It doesn't have a retro look, but it does have a bit of a retro feel.

It also has a brilliant build up of suspense, facilitated with poignant music, insanely smooth camera work, and a perfectly subtle script. Winding Refn is becoming one of my all time favorites quickly - as is Gosling, who stuns here, speaking more words with his eyes than his mouth ever comes close to. The soundtrack, as has been said, is brilliant, although it may take some people repeat viewings to catch why.

All in all, probably the best movie going experience I had this year/

EDIT: I am upset, but not surprised that the Oscars chose to nominate emotional flubber (e.g., Incredibly Loud) over a real film, like Drive.

A stylish, deliberate film that will divide audiences.

Author: witster18 from United States
20 February 2012

"Drive" is one of the years best.

Nicolas Winding Refn has taken a basic story, and injected a huge does of style and realism.

The films first 15 minutes reek of films like "To Live and Die in L.A." and "Heat". The music takes the audience on a ride from the opening credits, to the lighter moments of the film, and eventually into the meat of this violent, isolated tale.

The script is purposefully stripped to the bone to give the up-and-coming director full-artistic freedom in his biggest film to date.

The result is a smashing success; thanks in part to Ryan Gosling, who gives us a restrained, "What is he thinking", great performance as a stunt driver who isn't scared to take risks.

Gosling's character doesn't ask for a place in these people's lives, and he's anything but the a-typical Hollywood hero. The film doesn't stop for one moment of brevity.

The violence of the film balances out the slow-pacing and the lack of dialog. "Drive" moves at a realistic pace. Interaction between characters is slow, and the violence throughout the movie is fast. Gosling and Mulligan's interaction is sweet, under-stated, and brimming with hope and lust. They both have something to offer each other, but they're held back; it's just another way that Refn injects integrity into these characters without dialog or backstory. After the film, you know nearly as little about the lead characters as you did going in.

It's one of the most straight forward movies I've seen in years. The film relies on no gimmicks, and while it has all this rich style, it doesn't seem pretentious. It's gritty, but beautiful. It's heart-breaking, but uplifting at the same time.

It has other influences from all sorts of directions. I've read many Michael Mann comparisons and mentioned one above, but the film reminds me of other films like Boyz in the Hood, and the first 20 minutes of Tron Legacy. BUT, more than any other film this reminds me of Mann's "Thief" starring James Caan. I love both films.

Refn is on a short list of directors whose film's I won't miss any time soon.

You'll like this if you liked: Heat, Manhunter, To Live and Die in L.A., Blue Thunder, and A Better Tomorrow.

Trying to be something it's not - an insult to the greats.

Author: primo-st from Australia
4 November 2011

You enter the movie, excited for 2011's attempt at 'Reservoir Dogs' or 'Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels'. You know it's going to be violent, but you expect that to add to the story, rather than taking away from it.

Gosling plays a jaded stuntman, with an interesting but normal enough profession, but in a day he transforms into a cold blooded psychosomatic killer for a helpless woman whom he barely knows, without any emotional distress whatsoever. Stamping people's heads in, breaking hands with hammers; Gosling spends the whole movie drenched in blood and with a singular facial expression. To say that it is unbelievable would be the understatement of the century.

The rest of the actors are dreadfully cast, Bryan Cranston plays a helpless mechanic whose only purpose is to die a gruesome death. Carey Mulligan is a helpless (and I mean really helpless) female character who waits idly for a mysterious and overtly goodlooking man to solve her problems. Albert Brooks begins to be interesting when the story tries to explain that even the upper-middle class can be gruesome. Just as I was starting to like him, he stabs a fork in one of his suboordinate's eyes and slits his throat, just to justify the line "now you have to clean up after me".

Those one-liners are great in Die Hard 4 and other jam-packed action movies where you are watching it just for the explosions, but in a psychological thriller it becomes cliché and over the top. In fact the biggest problem with this movie is it didn't manage to correctly find a place for it's violence. There is enjoyable gore for the heck of it, see 'Hobo with a shotgun' for an example, and there is well placed and clever gore which you find in some of the better Tarantino movies or 'the clockwork orange' etc. This movie is somewhere in the middle, with sickening images clearly without purple, a sad attempt at reeling in an audience who want to seem both sophisticated but are really there for the explosion.

Overall Drive is not a great movie, and it's sad attempts to look like one just make the production all the more embarrassing.

Drive on

Author: rooee from United Kingdom
24 September 2011

Danish director Nicolas Winding Refn's Bronson was an attempt to do something strange which came across as depressingly ordinary, whereas his latest – starring a stolid Ryan Gosling as the nameless "Driver", and Carey Mulligan as his angelic neighbour, Irene – seems to be something very ordinary made quite strange, mostly through the use of slo-mo in the emotional bits as much as the action.

There isn't all that much action. Certainly very few car chases. When it hits, the violence hits hard, but it's all mired in long stretches punctuated by wordless glances, pregnant with nothing but beauty and elegant framing. It's like some crawling period drama for angrily repressive mechanics. Thankfully it is accompanied by Cliff Martinez's delicious ambient score, so you could just close your eyes.

The plot is first-rate "meh": a one-last-job affair with sexless damsel-in-distress underclothes. The Driver gives his clients a strict five-minute window (the reason for which, even after he's explained it twice, is never entirely clear), before he bails out – but five minutes is all he needs. He doesn't carry a gun; he'd prefer to force-feed his enemies bullets.

We know that Driver is our hero because he's the only man who doesn't shout all the time. Bernie (Albert Brooks) and Nino (Ron Perlman) are particularly perturbed. Their over-the-counter barneys are strongly reminiscent of those Grand Theft Auto cut scenes we tend to skip. In fact, the whole italicised neon credits thing and the 80s-esque synth score is pure Vice City, except without the fun.

At least Mad Max had a reason to be mad. From where does Driver's psychotic streak stem? Valhalla Rising suggested that Refn positions man's capacity for violence somewhere deep in his soul, so I guess a backstory isn't necessary. Bryan Cranston puts on a good show as the half-crippled Shannon, who might as well have an enormous glowing target on his forehead.

Comparisons with Michael Mann are inevitable, particularly the neo-noir nightmarescape of Manhunter, and the homoeroticism of Heat. Difference is, in both cases Mann was shooting a screenplay of quality and distinction. Drive, by comparison, is about as distinct as a cigarette flicked from a passing car.

Bad... with a sparkle.

Author: e-abecassis from Czech Republic
3 November 2011

The scenario is weak. 8.3/10 Really ??

A stunt driver who make money on the side OK good... BUT Ryan speaks less than terminator in this film. When he kills someone it is gore action, such a character should be portrayed in criminal minds...

The love story does not add up : How can a mother fall in love with this character (the guy, when spoken to, waits 10 seconds before answering... Rocky was more poetic in his speeches :) Let's go back to the love story. He loves the woman (Carey) and wants to protect her, and at the end, he leaves with the cash and let her to a sad future.

The mafia bosses : Are they plain stupid ? alone to a "hot" meeting. Unable to defend themselves... As last comment, since when a boss will do a job himself.

In short it is a story about a half autistic psycho who fall in love. This new love leads him to a path of violence and self destruction. At the end he leaves alone with 1 million dollars letting The girl by herself...

"It is illogical Captain"