IMDb > Drive (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Drive

Drive More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 122: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Pretentious movie that tries to act like an art film.

Author: jakej0693 from United States
21 June 2013

Let me start off by saying that I totally disagree with the rating of this movie. I mean, come on! 7.9?!? This movie tries way too hard to be artsy by having long scenes, that in the end, have almost nothing to do with the rest of the movie. One of the reasons people say this movie is great, is the acting and characters. But, I totally disagree with that. Ryan Gosling tries to act cool and mysterious but, comes off as being creepy and weird. HALF of the movie is just "Driver" (Gosling) and "Irene" (Mulligan) staring at each other and barely talking, while some irritatingly boring music plays loudly in the background, acting as filler for what should be taken up by actual acting and emotion.

Okay, so if all the boring artsy stuff had been the whole movie, then it would have been fine. 6.5/10 easy for trying to be interesting and artsy.

But, then the movie tries to make up for the boringness by throwing extremely gory "action" scenes into the mix. Mind you, when I say "throw" I mean they LITERALLY go from boring slow motion bulls**t to blowing a girls head off with a shotgun and stabbing a guy in the eye with a metal pipe. Another example of this is when Driver and Irene are making out in an elevator then, all of the sudden, he starts bashing a guys head in with his foot! It makes no sense and comes out of no where!!!

The most annoying thing about this movie is the driving parts.

This movie is titled "DRIVE" (I do understand that it has two meanings) and has multiple driving scenes in the trailer but, there are maybe 2 or 3 driving scenes worth anything, and the whole part about Shannon telling Bernie that he's "Special" and he's "never seen anything like it" but, we see maybe three full minutes of him actually doing impressive driving. Most of the car scenes are of him just driving around in his car, or driving Irene around in his car, or him tinkering with his car... you get the picture here. Plus the whole "stunt driver" thing is basically just a slap in the face, as there is only ONE F***ING SCENE of him being a stunt driver.

The thing that pisses me off the most is the fact that this has such high reviews and a high rating. When this movie first came out it had a 8.7 and now it has a 7.9, which I think is still too high. When you think about other movies that have much better acting, directing, action scenes, characters, and plot, but have much lower ratings and then you see this piece of cinematic dogs**t get a 7.9, it just shows how terrible the movie industry has become and how stupid the majority of people in the world have are.

The film industry has created so many idiots!

Author: fg_c from Mexico
28 January 2012

I'll make it short I read many bad reviews in here, the more i read the more i get the impression that the film industry has created so much sh*t, so many no substance exploding cars hot chicks flicks that it has created so many unsophisticated moviegoers who will in fact be happier with Avatar or Fast Five to name a few than pieces of art like this, or the artist, or tinker tailor soldier spy... or even shame to name a few done THIS year. I wonder how these would feel about classics like china town or taxi driver which were more about subtlety, drama, pace always trying to justify every piece of violence with emotional background of the characters.

I see people complaining very much about how we know nothing about the Driver or even about how the second car in the heist where standard gets killed has no business there. I have no words for these kinds of people there is nothing to be said when stupidity is so fervent inside of your bodies.

This is my favorite movie of 2011

What was that?

Author: user-425-585559
17 July 2012

I just don't see Gosling's appeal. Looks aside he's played every role I've seen him in the same. Where is the range? He mumbles through this movie lifelessly and this pretty much sets the tone and tempo for the whole movie. None of the actors and actresses shine, much less bring any much needed life to this film. Story is predictable and uninspired. The whole thing is disconnected and unengaging. I love violent movies but some of the violence here is nonsensical. . . . . look I wasted enough time watching this film - I'm not going to waste more reviewing it in minute detail - this is just a warning, one very very miss-able movie.

Seriously?

Author: Chris Hofman from United States
3 February 2012

Easily one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Anybody who thinks that the car chase scenes in Bullit or The French Connection 1)obviously knows nothing about cars and 2)has never seen Bullit or The French Connection and 3)is as retarded as Ryan Gosling comes off in this movie. I watched this movie with a crowd (10) of people, and we all walked away wishing we had the last 100 minutes of our lives back and feeling that our collective IQs had dropped at least 50 points. Another error that we ALL picked out is that the newer model Impala that he drives in one of the "chase" sequences is making sounds of being manually shifted and we all know that those cars are only available as an automatic. This movie was stupid. Go ahead and watch it if you wish to become stupider.

Arty way of filming, but slow and disappointing

Author: roger-704 from New Zealand
29 October 2011

Interesting....Yes. Exciting and highly entertaining...No. At times the dialog was so slow and non-existent that I felt like laughing as the whole audience waited in silence for something to happen...which of course it didn't.

As for great driving, that was all to brief and slow really...yes, it was more realistic than the flashy filming of say the Fast and Furious films...but, it was no match for the first Transporter movie for sheer americanized entertainment or the more realistic great car chase movie of all time "Ronin".

If you like more Arty films you will enjoy the more realistic way it draws you in to the film. There are a few violent scenes that are very graphic, so I understand why it has the R18 rating.

No way should this film be over 8...perhaps 6 but honestly 5 is more than generous as many of my friends rated it 3-4 !!!

5 minutes of action...followed by boredom and disgust

Author: Bryce Proseus from United States
19 September 2011

If possible, I would rate this movie a 0. I did not pay for my ticket, and I felt bad for the person who did for wasting their money.

The film opened with fairly repetitive music reminiscent of the 1980's, which could be OK, but wasn't really my thing. The credits were done in a bright pink unreadable font that was quite distracting and seemed out of place. It would have fit better opening a movie like 27 Dresses or the like.

After the opening credits, a fairly intense and well planned chase/action scene unfolded. And then the film dropped off a cliff into the abyss of boredom. As another review put it, the film was only 100 or so minutes long, but it felt around 140. The long pauses intended (I think) to be artsy ended up making the audience feel uncomfortable and awkward. The lead character literally only spoke about 30 lines in the whole movie, most of them 5 to 7 word sentences, or an "ok" or a "yeah" that came at least 10 seconds too late.

In the one scene as "Driver" and Irene are riding the elevator to the garage, he notices the mysterious man with them in the elevator has a gun and believes him to be sent to kill them. So what does he do? He pulls Irene aside and a slow motion kiss follows. The elevator stops and he proceeds to slam the other man's head into the wall, then repeatedly stomps on the man's face. One shot actually shows the man's skull being crushed and his face sinking in beneath the blow of the Driver's boot, blood splattering over everything. The entire audience let out an audible "Eww" and could be seen shifting uncomfortably.

This movie was a waste of money for the ticket, and the 13 million dollars spent on making it, not to mention the time of all the audience members. I very rarely watch a movie and say I would never ever consider watching it again, but I say it with Drive.

Artsy? Poorly done. Disgustingly violent, boring, and awkward? Yes.

This movie is terrible.

IMDb rating fiddled big time

Author: Abrar Raza from India
24 January 2012

I ought to watch Drive, the piece by the Amini & Rafn, the to be ambitious soul of Noel & Eastwood, just by the IMDb rating.

A big disappointment.

I better be careful in future.

Rafn better need to understand that a man with just few words in his mouth(Ryan Gosling) needn't made a strong character. And a few new style of killing a human body neither generates any grip, nor reflects the character properly.

The movie lacks: 1. Meaning 2. Drama 3. Thrill 4. Presentation 5. Shadow of all the characters 6. Good Dialogues And many more...

There is nothing to watch this movie for.

Gosling spoiled.

Empty, soulless and sadistic with a pseudo-artistic touch!

Author: Ziya90 from Türkiye
24 November 2011

I believe that the most important element in a movie first is "having heart and soul in the delivery" in other words dramatic structure which leads to impressiveness and effectiveness both. Why the worst film I have ever seen in my life is Federico Fellini's Otto e Mezzo? or Why I hated Darren Aranofsky's The Fountain? Because there were no heart and soul in the delivery and believe me especially critics love that! Cinema without heart. Now, let's talk about Drive. What an original and "never-seen-before" story! A hired driver who doesn't talk much decides to protect a family, a girl and her child and things in his job go awry! Other than such clichés in the plot and lacking of heart and soul, there were other flaws in the movie. Being a "driver" or being a cool hired killer is not that easy! Ryan Gosling's wooden performance and his senseless character are just pointless and has not any interesting or deep element. The violence in the movie was neither artistic nor entertaining, it was sick and sadistic! Also it was pointless! You know Quentin Tarantino makes extremely violent movies like Kill Bill, but it is entertaining and it is artistic at the same time. Drive is not! What about music? Well, oddly, it reminded me Tron, another movie I didn't like, so simply I wasn't impressed by the songs either. Is Drive an action packed? Not at all! The movie has an exciting opening, but then it turns into an empty and dull pseudo-art work with some disgusting violence. The rest of the movie is not a piece of art or an audiovisual feast in contrast with the hype, that's why I was seriously frustrated by the movie! Unfortunately the flaws hasn't finished yet, Drive has an anti climax and pretentious finale that leaves you totally unsatisfied. I am sorry, but the ones who call this as art owe other art house directors an apology.

A Visual Experience, But Could Have Used A Little More Kick

Author: RbDeraj from United States
7 March 2015

This was without a doubt a visual experience. The cinematography was beautiful, everything from the sleek cars to beach scene at night to the character wardrobes. Even the over exaggerated stylized violence and gore was artistic in a dark and sinister sort of way. The shots were appealing and masterfully well made. I can't say the same for the plot though. The story was descent but even for being a relatively short film it moved along at a dragging pace. The emphasis was definitely on the visuals rather than the story which is what audiences are there to see. There should have been a better balance, with the two complimenting each other. Even though there was action it all came across as emotionally flat and dull without much excitement or intensity. Not a bad film by any means but could have used a little more kick.

A Waste of TIme.

Author: NOEL DALE (proof-films) from Durham, NC
21 January 2014

When it comes to film making, I'm all for innovation, and new trends to create a masterpiece or just a good piece of work! Drive is an attempt which tragically fails on all ends.

This film is just wrong on everything! The Character development is a piece of crap! Well there is none. Our protagonist, if you can call him that, had an undeveloped characterization which is used as an excuse for him being mysterious. I'm all for mystery, but not in a movie titled "Drive{ which opens with a car chase and robbery. The main character's emotions were all over the place? Maybe he was psychotic, but usually in a movie you can tell if someone is a psychotic character or not. The characterization contradicts himself by being compassionate at certain times. Is that a socio-path? Maybe. But not quite like any I've ever seen in a film!The development of this character is all over the place and I don't know if any one who viewed it received a clear cut answer on what type of guy the "Driver" is.

The next issue I had with the movie is the script. Now given, some films don't have a solid plot, but those films are usually followed up with pretty strong characterizations, point of views, and action which this film lacked at necessary times to be what I considered a good film. Certain scenes drag out too long not adding to the story of the film. We don't find out what this movie is about until after 45 minutes into it. That's too long to hook you audience. So in my opinion, this film lacked a strong plot, and strong character's. There was no sense or realism associated with the time period as well!

Bad Acting! The acting was shitty! It just wasn't good. Which I'm not saying the actors in the film can't act, I feel that the poorly developed characters led to no real dramatic performances or excitement, which is another contradiction because the film starts off as if it is going to be and action film and gets very melancholy and dramatic.

The Title of the film is misleading! There was not enough driving in this damn film to be called Drive!. It should've been called " Road to Nowhere" or some crap like that! I believe the Director was trying to create a new type of film making, and it just failed! The emotion was all of a certain points in the film!

Also how the hell is a Chrylser 400 supposed to keep up with a mustang 5.0! A major contradiction in this film! It just sucked! I gave it 2 stars because the cinematography was good!

This film made me very angry! I saw it for free! Thank goodness I don't go the movies anymore! I would've demanded my money back or a ticket to see something else.