IMDb > Drive (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Drive

Drive More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 122: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

An amazing film with great style.

Author: TheFilmGuy1 from Canada
12 February 2012

When I first saw the trailer to Drive, I instantly thought of Korean cinema. Whether it was the hammer carried by Gosling, or something else, i'm not sure. The influence of foreign film is clear in Drive. The story of Drive is a very simple and perhaps overused one. A silent and reserved getaway driver who doesn't normally get involved with people starts to form a relationship with a woman and her kid, causing everything to go downhill from there. Even though this story has been told before, the way it is told in Drive makes it seem fresh. Drive also has a very 80's feeling to it. The soundtrack is not only amazing but filled with 80's influenced music. It works so well with the movie and will stick out even to people who don't pay much attention to soundtracks. I had heard a lot of good things about Drive and in the end, it lived up to it. Also, I would kill for that scorpion jacket.

If I could travel back in time I would advise me not to see it

Author: (bikerc) from Vancouver, Canada
1 October 2011

Once again critics let me down. I went to this movie after checking out the rottentomatoes reviews, and at around 90+% I thought it's a must see. Well, I was wrong.

Pace - kind of slow, it picks up occasionally

Ryan - cool, intense (he's always playing intense characters or he's rather playing himself), doesn't speak much, but we can guess there something going on in his head and if he didn't care for Carey's character he could have easily been a psychopath in the league with the bad guys. Good driver though. And once again he loves the girl with same obstinacy that we've seen in the other of his movies.

Carey - here I am lost because I am not too sure what was her role besides being cute as a pie (or button) and the object of Ryan's character's affection. Pretty much she didn't have a clue of what's going on. But her face must trigger some deep need to protect feelings in the men around her.

Bad guys - One thing that struck me are Ron Perlman's teeth. They are very long! OK, it's irrelevant. Other than that, the usual, nothing new, they are unnecessarily violent (or belligerent how a character put it) , they don't listen to logic, they like to slash people with objects they care about (which they clean and keep in nice boxes).

Naked girls - yes, there is a scene full of breast enhanced girls that didn't seem to care a guy was about to get his head smashed with a hammer. But hey, we would expect too much from them. Right?

Music - I liked the music, I would give it a 9 or 10

Image - pretty nice in some cases.

To summarize - I didn't see anything new and unforgettable. I would save my money if I were you.

Pretentious crap

Author: Peter Olsson from Sweden
2 April 2012

Could they possibly have made any cut any longer, I don't think so. Gosling makes Keanu Reeves look like Oscar material.

Really liked when he revved through all gears, but he still goes like 35, LOL.

High speed car chase and doing a 180 going in reverse, not much left of your gear box there.

When he finally gets rid of the last person connecting him to the money, he leaves it in a parking lot? Yeah, there will sooner be Martians walking the streets than that ever happening.

Pretentious crap.

8.0 rating, that's the joke of this century. Only shows that the saying, "A million flies can't be wrong -Eat Sh.t", still holds true.

Huge gaps in the plot and improbable details killed the fun

Author: First Last from Canada
29 September 2011

There are so many illogical things in this movie that very quickly I just stopped caring about what's happening on the screen. There are big gaps in plot, and there are totally unrealistic details. And if for the plot holes you may somehow justify them saying that characters are stupid or under stress, there is no justification for physically impossible details: a light mattress is blocking the door, car's headlights are working after several hard head-on crashes, and so on.

I can hardly imagine an intelligent and thinking person would appreciate this movie. Only if somebody stays in a state of trance mindlessly looking at the pretty pictures and listening to the nice music one can probably enjoy it.

I am very surprised by all the positive reviews. Boring and illogical movie, just awful.

Far from a good movie

Author: Ethnic_Tension
13 November 2011

I have watched many movies from a range of countries and decades. I believe every good movie either has a good plot or a good story to tell. Brilliant movies have both.

Drive has neither. It lacks a plot and the story is slow, disjointed and lacks believaility.

The first half of the movie establishes that the main character has a crush or is in love with a neighbour with a kid. Seriously, you do not need to spend half a movie establishing something so simple, not to mention the main character is a complete stalker / creep bordering on mentally disabled. The second half of the movie is the main character getting revenge for a robbery gone wrong. All the second half of the movie establishes is how truly dumb the main character is. Btw, it's not because of the unhappy ending (Mind you I prefer unhappy endings).

There are serious plot holes as well. One previous reviewer mentioned that it was never explained why there was a second car at the heist gone wrong, only to be told off by another reviewer who loved the movie. There IS no explanation - why would you rob money from people you have sent to rob it in the first place, especially when you aren't paying two of them, and the one you are paying is in on the second robbery?!?!?!

Further, many reviewers appear to suggest those who do not like the movie would rather see CGI nonsense. I do not like movies which substitute film making with CGI. However, this movie is not a good example of one.

I find it difficult to understand what people see in this movie. It is an attempt at a meaningful, character driven movie which falls flat.

If you want to see a movie with a good plot - watch Ghost Writer or Oldboy If you want to see a movie with a good story - watch Barry Lyndon, Shawshank Redemption, Goodfellas, Casino If you want to see a movie with good driving and limited CGI - watch Initial D, The Legend of Speed, Taxi (French movie) or Grand Prix If you want to see a good artsy action movie - watch A Clockwork Orange

No plot. No characters. No dialogues. 90% silence. 100% bad.

Author: aperich from Croatia
13 January 2012

With virtually no plot, interesting characters or intriguing dialogues, all this movie has to offer are a few brutally bloody scenes, but then again, if you're into that, you're still better of watching Kill Bill. Speaking of which, if you thought Kill Bill was an over-rated movie, you obviously still haven't seen Drive. This movie was obviously directed with one purpose and one purpose only - winning the Palme d'Or at Cannes. And, surprisingly, it even failed at that. Could it be that this wannabe-art movie was too fake even for Cannes standards? It's hard to tell. Could it be that the 21st century has already gotten its worst blockbuster? Only time will tell. Even though there are 89 more years to go, I think not a lot of movies will overtake this giant.

Drive Away !!!

Author: overeager-1 from United States
23 September 2011

I'm not sure this movie deserves a 1, but it in no way deserves an 8.6 where it's at now.

My wife and I were so disappointed. I cant believe so many people liked it that much. Almost makes us question trusting reviews any longer. Was poor acting, slow moving, only a couple decent drive scenes and I don't ever want to spoil an ending for anyone, but we even questioned that !!

If you're thinking Transporter and hoping to see Jason step up to the plate and kick some ass...don't. The actor in this one is so slow to speak, and sometimes move...we found ourselves going...OK...time for next....frame....word.... movement.

Just left us in a somber mood.

Soo slow and boring!

Author: steph_jt
7 October 2011

I have no idea how this movie has received such glowing reviews. Gosling appears to be heavily sedated throughout the movie, and the virtual lack of dialogue through the majority of the film just adds to the overall boring experience. Overall it's a movie about nothing with no message at all, and it ends by leaving you with no sense of closure or understanding of why you have been subjected to such a depressing experience. If there was any message at all, I would say it was that life sucks and then you die, or crime doesn't pay perhaps, but overall that's a little bit too Disney for my tastes, but perhaps this will appeal to the masses? Do yourself a favour, and spend your time watching something else, or at the very least take some Valium to get yourself in the correct frame of mind for this slow-paced, self-indulgent offering. No Stars.

One of the worst films in history!

Author: brianbinkle123 from United States
2 May 2013

This movie is so bad that I would rather do anything then to have to watch this movie again, yes I would rather die. There is this strange euphoric music playing in the background scene to scene that is just pointless but it's there for God only knows why. All the actors are talking like the have taken very large amounts of sedatives and almost every scenes cuts before the conclusion of each scene happens. As a viewer you can still put the pieces together but it's just retarded. Here's an idea: finish the scene! Oh and have the actors act like they are awake and talk to each other like they are normal people who talk like normal people do, not doped up mental patients. Wow, maybe I should become a director? I sure as he!! could have made something better than this pile of horse 5hit!

The Rise of Refn and Gosling

Author: silentman01 from Bangladesh
19 January 2012

"Drive" is a story about a young man with no name who works as a stuntman during the day and works as a getaway driver, at times, during the night. A man with no attachments to his past, he wandered through his days unnoticed with a determination to stay so. All of this changes when he meets Irene creating a shift in his priorities leading to situations and circumstances he would never before involve himself in. We know nothing about his past and the motives of his present are as mysterious. The perfect "Anti-Hero", he hits a strange balance of being a combination of a Western Hero (personified by Gary Cooper, Clint Eastwood) with a darkness close to that of Henry Fonda's "Frank" in "Once Upon a Time in the West" and Javier Bardem's Anton Chigurh in "No Country For Old Men".

Nicholas Winding Refn directs this picture and it really shows how far he has come as a film-maker. His use of colours are brilliant as he shifts through darkness and light with an artistic manipulation that contributed to the great cinematography which was essential to create the varying moods. It was predominantly eerie and helped the transitions smoothly leaving a touch of suspense all the way through it's end. The screenplay, written by Hossein Amini, is sufficient in it's brevity adding to the enigma, which was the Driver, enhancing the mystery to his motives by sufficiently cloaking who he is.

The star of the show, except Refn, was Ryan Gosling who continues to build a reputation as one of the actors to look out for. His evolution, which was slowly in the works, hit a new height with his portrayal as "Driver". To be so convincing with such few words and relying only on expressions and mannerisms to be the basis of a great performance is an art which is almost lost today. He is loving, caring, generous and loyal to only a few people but at the same time he is also ruthless, fearless and unflinching in his determination, which sometimes led to "justified cruelty" on those who stood in his way. He is never over-the-top, however out of hand a situation might get, thus building a character who had enviable serenity in testing situations. Ryan Gosling will in all likelihood not be nominated for an Oscar for his best performance to date for what was undoubtedly one of the best performances of 2011 (personally this was my favourite). This, I fear, would be the first of many crimes the Academy will undoubtedly pull on this film in the year.

Gosling is supported more than capably by a great cast. It includes the rising star Carey Mulligan, the love interest, played her torn character with such simplicity and an under-tone of complexity that bringing out a sense of realism would have been very arduous. But, the talent she has, has helped her to find the balance and give one of the most under-rated performances (along with Gosling's) of the year. There is also the brilliant Bryan Cranston whose evolution is just extraordinary. This character actor tests another variation to provide a great supporting role of a man who with his desperation has lost all his dignity clinging on to the last straw of hope which is Gosling. Cranston played the anti-thesis of Walter White (Breaking Bad), with such guile that you forgot it was Mr. White. For a TV actor that is hard to shake off, ask James Gandolfini. Ron Perlman's screen time was small but his significance to the plot was not and he did justice to the role re-enacting his own persona of the "bad guy" he has done so successfully and predominantly in action films.Then, there is the rejuvenated Albert Brooks who gives the performance of his career (and seems the only likely nominee) as mob boss Bernie Ross, who is more like the anti-hero than we would like to admit. A man who is calculating in his ruthlessness and terribly frightening in it's deliverance is the perfect nemesis to the grey hero. They both fight for what they care about and none of them would hesitate to stand up against anyone who would try to destroy what was most important to them.

"Drive" is a must-see for all who want to something different in a year which has been all about recycling and few rare pieces of originality. If you can stomach the violence and the long periods without dialogue then make sure you watch it, otherwise just stay away, it won't be your cup of tea. Let's hope Nick Refn will be able to keep this form for the future