IMDb > Drive (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Drive

Drive More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 121: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

A Multi-Layered Abuse to the Film Industry

Author: diac228 (diac1987@netscape.net) from Orlando, Florida
19 September 2011

So I walked out of the movie Drive. This is the first time I've ever done such a thing. I've seen a lot of bad movies in my day but there has never been one that infuriated me to a point in which I couldn't continue. And being a film lover, I sat down and analyzed just why exactly this movie ticked me off so much. What was it about this movie that drove me up the wall to a point in which I walked out before I even got to see the conclusion? It wasn't the acting. It wasn't the music. And it wasn't the lush cinematography. What irked me the most was that Drive was disguising itself as an indie flick when in actuality it wanted to become an action movie so badly.

And this strategy while an insult to the entire institution of filmmaking, worked. It got rave reviews at film festivals here and there and got nice reviews from critics, lavishing the acting, supposed tension, and cinematography. I watch this movie because of the rave reviews and literally saw the Transporter movie wrapped in an indie flavor, nothing more. The first half, where we supposedly see "character development," consists of characters engaging in extremely minimal small talk and the rest of the time just staring at each other. I am not kidding. After the tense opening which reveals our main character's secret job (which is familiar to the opening of Transporter), we get nothing for about 40 minutes. Except a lot of pointless scenes.

Drive is about a very good stuntman that doubles as a secret driver at night (Ryan Gosling) who silently falls for his new neighbor (Carey Mulligan) while at the same time gets mixed up in a mob scene (which loosely is a Transporter plot). The first half has all the development, only in the second half is when we see all the action and driving you've been observing in the previews. Based off a novel of the same name, the script must have been easy to write, because it barely has any dialogue while the story is pretty much a mashup of Tarantino-like violence with Transporter-like symptoms.

The movie is so inconsistent, and amongst the small pieces that don't fit together they are all sparkles of what we've seen before—and what we've seen before has all been superior. The supposed amazing chase sequences? Bourne and Ronin does them better----and to a similar budget extent, The Transporter. The supposed amazing violent tension? I can name dozens of movies that do it better. And the extreme violence that is inconsistent with the theme, tone, pace, and characterization of the first half of this slum? Of course, while it doesn't quite match the plot it's been perfected years upon years ago by Tarantino and even to an extent Robert Rodriguez.

But another big reason why I dislike this film so much is because with Drive, we've seen it all before, and yet the critics will not point this out—or choose to avoid it. We've seen these types of movies before (quiet men that has their actions do all the talking), we've seen this type of ultra-action before, and we've seen these stupid attempts at conflicting and blending genres far too many times in the indie and mainstream scene. Drive was originally billed as blockbuster during development so what do they do? Hide the fact that it's the clichéd low-caliber blockbuster that's trying so hard to be a European Tarantino hybrid. They trimmed the dialogue, screen time, and for the Cannes Film Festival nixed the action billing and called it an independent film. They literally were changing the packaging and tone of the movie based off of box office numbers. That's disgusting. They were trying to sway the critics by changing the entire genre.

Bottom Line: Drive, you are a pathetic, pointless, stupid, trite, slow, muggy, grudgy, tasteless, senseless, disposable, forgettable movie with abysmal pacing, abysmal writing, and no sense of direction whatsoever from the first second to the last second I watched before deciding to walk away. You don't know what movie you want to become, as you literally spit yourself through at least three different genres that actually repeal each other like a magnet. You barely clock in at 100 minutes, yet it felt like two hours the first half in. I will not blame the acting, for they had next to nothing to work with. I will not blame the cinematography, which wasn't bad either. I will blame the fact that your crew decided to pretend like your movie was artsy, underground, and indie, when in actuality your movie is this ultraviolent action movie that rears its ugly head long after the audience has fallen asleep through the numbing first half.

Your movie sucks.

Bad.

good for 5 minutes, slow, boring to death, annoying; pointless and violent overall: 1/10

Author: TimLaz from France
21 January 2012

This film could be acceptable with the first 10min only, as a stand-alone short. Otherwise apart from the good photography, the acting is bad, really bad, no story, and slow, so slow development...and so pointless and pretentious. poor dialogues, bad direction. Really bad music, and loud, way too loud. Free violence, pointless and rough, average effects.

This is not a good film, probably the most overrated movie of all times on IMDb.

I give it a 1/10 for photography, otherwise there is nothing to vote for.

they succeeded to compress the entire movie intro the trailer...

Author: pauna_cristian from Romania
1 October 2011

So, i went to see it just because i have liked the trailer.. There were obstacles in my way but nothing stopped me from ...a very big disappointment. I can t understand why in the name of Lord would someone like to watch a semi-psychotic movie with less action than 'saved by the bell'. There are 3 '3 little friends' moments and 1 'easy'car-action scene ...and that's all folks. No dialog, just neurotic atmosphere.. So keep your money, time and do everything else.. Like 'nothing' but at least it s free of charge and relaxing. Just because it is the site politics i have to write some more lines...well...because i hate to write just for the writing i will fill the missing lines with points ..... ....... ....... ......... ....... ..... ...... ........ .... ..... ...... ...... ........... ....... ..... ..... ...... .... .......... ...... .... ..... ..... ..... ... ...... ... ....... ... ........ ..... ......there are like the movie..a lot and useless ...... ....... ........ ........ ........ ........ ......... ........ ......... ......... ......... ....... ...... ........ ............ .......... ........ ....... ....... ............ ....... . .......... ....... ........... ....... ......... ....... ..... . .......... ....... .......... ......... ....... ....... .......

If I could travel back in time I would advise me not to see it

Author: (bikerc) from Vancouver, Canada
1 October 2011

Once again critics let me down. I went to this movie after checking out the rottentomatoes reviews, and at around 90+% I thought it's a must see. Well, I was wrong.

Pace - kind of slow, it picks up occasionally

Ryan - cool, intense (he's always playing intense characters or he's rather playing himself), doesn't speak much, but we can guess there something going on in his head and if he didn't care for Carey's character he could have easily been a psychopath in the league with the bad guys. Good driver though. And once again he loves the girl with same obstinacy that we've seen in the other of his movies.

Carey - here I am lost because I am not too sure what was her role besides being cute as a pie (or button) and the object of Ryan's character's affection. Pretty much she didn't have a clue of what's going on. But her face must trigger some deep need to protect feelings in the men around her.

Bad guys - One thing that struck me are Ron Perlman's teeth. They are very long! OK, it's irrelevant. Other than that, the usual, nothing new, they are unnecessarily violent (or belligerent how a character put it) , they don't listen to logic, they like to slash people with objects they care about (which they clean and keep in nice boxes).

Naked girls - yes, there is a scene full of breast enhanced girls that didn't seem to care a guy was about to get his head smashed with a hammer. But hey, we would expect too much from them. Right?

Music - I liked the music, I would give it a 9 or 10

Image - pretty nice in some cases.

To summarize - I didn't see anything new and unforgettable. I would save my money if I were you.

Far from a good movie

Author: Ethnic_Tension
13 November 2011

I have watched many movies from a range of countries and decades. I believe every good movie either has a good plot or a good story to tell. Brilliant movies have both.

Drive has neither. It lacks a plot and the story is slow, disjointed and lacks believaility.

The first half of the movie establishes that the main character has a crush or is in love with a neighbour with a kid. Seriously, you do not need to spend half a movie establishing something so simple, not to mention the main character is a complete stalker / creep bordering on mentally disabled. The second half of the movie is the main character getting revenge for a robbery gone wrong. All the second half of the movie establishes is how truly dumb the main character is. Btw, it's not because of the unhappy ending (Mind you I prefer unhappy endings).

There are serious plot holes as well. One previous reviewer mentioned that it was never explained why there was a second car at the heist gone wrong, only to be told off by another reviewer who loved the movie. There IS no explanation - why would you rob money from people you have sent to rob it in the first place, especially when you aren't paying two of them, and the one you are paying is in on the second robbery?!?!?!

Further, many reviewers appear to suggest those who do not like the movie would rather see CGI nonsense. I do not like movies which substitute film making with CGI. However, this movie is not a good example of one.

I find it difficult to understand what people see in this movie. It is an attempt at a meaningful, character driven movie which falls flat.

If you want to see a movie with a good plot - watch Ghost Writer or Oldboy If you want to see a movie with a good story - watch Barry Lyndon, Shawshank Redemption, Goodfellas, Casino If you want to see a movie with good driving and limited CGI - watch Initial D, The Legend of Speed, Taxi (French movie) or Grand Prix If you want to see a good artsy action movie - watch A Clockwork Orange

No plot. No characters. No dialogues. 90% silence. 100% bad.

Author: aperich from Croatia
13 January 2012

With virtually no plot, interesting characters or intriguing dialogues, all this movie has to offer are a few brutally bloody scenes, but then again, if you're into that, you're still better of watching Kill Bill. Speaking of which, if you thought Kill Bill was an over-rated movie, you obviously still haven't seen Drive. This movie was obviously directed with one purpose and one purpose only - winning the Palme d'Or at Cannes. And, surprisingly, it even failed at that. Could it be that this wannabe-art movie was too fake even for Cannes standards? It's hard to tell. Could it be that the 21st century has already gotten its worst blockbuster? Only time will tell. Even though there are 89 more years to go, I think not a lot of movies will overtake this giant.

Drive Away !!!

Author: overeager-1 from United States
23 September 2011

I'm not sure this movie deserves a 1, but it in no way deserves an 8.6 where it's at now.

My wife and I were so disappointed. I cant believe so many people liked it that much. Almost makes us question trusting reviews any longer. Was poor acting, slow moving, only a couple decent drive scenes and I don't ever want to spoil an ending for anyone, but we even questioned that !!

If you're thinking Transporter and hoping to see Jason step up to the plate and kick some ass...don't. The actor in this one is so slow to speak, and sometimes move...we found ourselves going...OK...time for next....frame....word.... movement.

Just left us in a somber mood.

Huge gaps in the plot and improbable details killed the fun

Author: First Last from Canada
29 September 2011

There are so many illogical things in this movie that very quickly I just stopped caring about what's happening on the screen. There are big gaps in plot, and there are totally unrealistic details. And if for the plot holes you may somehow justify them saying that characters are stupid or under stress, there is no justification for physically impossible details: a light mattress is blocking the door, car's headlights are working after several hard head-on crashes, and so on.

I can hardly imagine an intelligent and thinking person would appreciate this movie. Only if somebody stays in a state of trance mindlessly looking at the pretty pictures and listening to the nice music one can probably enjoy it.

I am very surprised by all the positive reviews. Boring and illogical movie, just awful.

Soo slow and boring!

Author: steph_jt
7 October 2011

I have no idea how this movie has received such glowing reviews. Gosling appears to be heavily sedated throughout the movie, and the virtual lack of dialogue through the majority of the film just adds to the overall boring experience. Overall it's a movie about nothing with no message at all, and it ends by leaving you with no sense of closure or understanding of why you have been subjected to such a depressing experience. If there was any message at all, I would say it was that life sucks and then you die, or crime doesn't pay perhaps, but overall that's a little bit too Disney for my tastes, but perhaps this will appeal to the masses? Do yourself a favour, and spend your time watching something else, or at the very least take some Valium to get yourself in the correct frame of mind for this slow-paced, self-indulgent offering. No Stars.

This is the continuation of the best that action and noir had to offer.

Author: jfcieslak
8 November 2012

What I cannot stand about recent developments in American cinema (whatever genre be it really), are primarily two things. 1. The terrible intellectual laziness, insensitivity, and lack of original vision, which result in copy- pasting attitude. Music, dialogs, acting, casting, shots - all of it are just plaster casts, and all directors and writers seem to have turned into laborers, filling the 'successful film' prescriptions. 2. The "rub it in your face till you understand" attitude, when it comes to laying out the plot. There can be nothing left unsaid, all jokes explained, all mysteries resolved, all romance explicit, to the point of nausea. Of course there are great exceptions, like Cohens, but even more ambitious films, or those branded as, you know, 'avantgarde' seem to be placid and based on cheap in your face effects (vide ''Black Swan"). Drive comes to the rescue. And it comes in big style. It taps right into the core of what once was great about American movies, movies like Duel, Vanishing Point, like Killing of a Chinese Bookie, hell, even like Charles Bronson films. It has vision, it is nuanced, it is stylish, and it contains that special something, the electrifying atmosphere of mystery, darkness, which all crime/noir films must have to deserve their name. I was concerned at first, because a criminal who falls in love and escapes the bad guys is a recipe for banal, teary plot, but it was just all played out with masterful skill and balance. And finally, what a relief! I was spared the irritating details of all those unnecessary cookie-cutter scenes, especially on the romance side. A Man meets Woman? A take of him standing, a take of her, next to her broken car, he approaches, cut. Period. You know the rest, and you don't need to have it explained any more. This film is a gem. And I would say it is the essence of true and great American cinema... if not for the fact that the director is Danish and main character is Canadian. They both could teach the other guys a lesson. I was tempted to give a 10. But let's just leave that score for that one movie which never will be made.