IMDb > Drive (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Drive

Drive More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 119: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Great use of Subtlety

Author: kgprophet
21 October 2011

It would be difficult to write about parts of the storyline in this film, because many expectations change when the consequences of one event folds upon another. A terrific original screenplay defies Hollywood conventions of over-the-top plot convolutions and unrealistic twists. Sure, there are a couple coincidences, but there are many rewards for keeping the story simplified and enhance the characters' arcs. The director borrows heavily from Michael Mann in painting a cool atmosphere with glistening city lights at night and a throbbing synthesiser soundtrack. The film elevates itself above any other similar film in it's drama, perhaps better than the character rich film "The Town" from 2010. The editing emphasises the main character's withdrawn persona, hiding his emotions (indirectly hinting at his criminal past) while romancing his neighbour. Moments in conversation where a 'normal' person would express their feelings or be more extroverted, are instead tension filled passages of silence that speak louder than words. With great use of subtlety, the film does wonders in terms of depicting the main character's withdrawn mental state, but still visualising his thoughts and intentions without direct exposition.

Another accolade must be given to actor Ryan Gosling in the lead role. We the audience must invest time into this character, which the film keeps in the first person narrative, most activities outside of his knowledge are outside of ours. He must show realistic reactions to danger, even though his past is never quite explained. The right emphasis is given to revealing moments of his capabilities, so when he is set in harm's way, we believe he can stand up to the test. The rest of the cast is well heeled in talent, allowing the sense of naturalism to provide the tone. As you may notice in critical reviews, when a film exposes no obvious weaknesses, the positive rating goes up. I myself am having a hard time exposing any weakness in this film, I felt I was in good hands, and was not annoyed by any plot contrivances. I happen to be a fan of Michael Mann, as must the director of this film, and the right homage elements work for me. I think of this perhaps of the antithesis of "Fast & Furious". One of the best films I have seen this year, could even get an Oscar nod with the screenplay or editing.

Emperors New Clothes

Author: jasper-173-283049 from United Kingdom
30 January 2012

Seriously people, don't believe the ridiculous hype about this movie, it is without doubt one of the worst movies I have seen in the last year. My wife and I are huge movie fans and watch on average 5 new films a week, 10 minutes into this film we are both looking at each other with a 'is this movie for real' look on our faces, and by the end we realised we had just wasted 2 hours of our lives we would never get back again.

Rylan Gosling is a total joke from start to finish, his total lack of any script is just the start, in fact by the end of the film (and yes we did make it to the end, somehow) I was glad he still wasn't saying much, and the little that did come from it was just clichéd nonsense. This man cannot do the strong silent brooding type at all, especially not wearing a daft white satin jacket with, wait for it ..... a scorpion on the back, and a toothpick in his mouth.

The plot, what there was of it, is so old and tired and so overdone, the whole film was completely predictable. None of the characters have any depth or interest to them, probably due to the lack of any script. Even Carey Mulligan, who is a real favourite of ours, was wasted and looked rather uncomfortable in her rather dull character - the single mum at home. And the clichés just continued at Ryan became the child's new 'best friend'.

The violence is also completely at odds with the rest of the film. It is extreme, graphic and vicious, which is fine and dandy if the rest of the film demands it, unfortunately this film doesn't and it looks like it's been thrown in just for shock value.

I really cannot understand why such a piece of second rate and boring drivel has got such amazing reviews on here and from some critics. Just before this we watched The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly again, now that has everything this movie doesn't but seems to be trying so hard to emulate - characters that aren't black and white, minimal dialogue to add to the tension, and stunning camera-work to keep you captivated.

Save your time and money and watch this classic instead, Drive has nothing to offer but annoyance and the WORST soundtrack I've ever heard.

Reminder on why we love movies

Author: Kristine (kristinedrama14@msn.com) from Chicago, Illinois
11 February 2012

Last year one of the big films that I think was a surprise hit was called Drive. I was always curious to see this movie, but unfortunately missed it. From what I had heard it was a must see so I rented it and absolutely fell in love with it. Reminding me a bit of the old action movies from the 70's and 80's with those great old cars that could take one heck of a beating with the anti-hero who wins your heart over and then we get a million sequels trying to out bank the previous film. Anyways, Drive offers something different, a new cult classic for a generation that is a bit ADD, this gives you something exciting or great to watch each second. I can't tell you what an amazing opening chase scene they choreographed, not to mention some very exciting action scenes. Ryan Gosling continues to be a star on the high rise proving his leading man qualities and to be an action star, he just steals the show as Driver.

Driver lives in a low-rent apartment building and works as a mechanic, stuntman and getaway driver. The Driver works anonymously, never for the same people twice, and allows them only five minutes to do their business. He meets his neighbor Irene in the apartment building elevator and later helps her and her young son when Irene has car trouble at a local market. Shannon owns the garage the Driver works at and arranges his other jobs. Shannon persuades the mobster Bernie Rose to purchase a stock car for the Driver to race after seeing the Driver's skill. Bernie's business partner is Nino, a Jewish mobster. But when Driver has been set up he realizes that not only does he have to protect himself but those he cares about most.

The car chase scenes are so well put together, I haven't been this excited since Death Proof. I also loved how Driver's face in the first scene just stayed emotionless, he knows he's good and that no matter what how to out run the cops. He's a man with a mission who doesn't have anyone in his life, but when a woman and her son come into his, he will fight for them because they're worth it. He has a man, who's his boss, who is almost like his father figure and their relationship is not only believable but relatable for anyone. Bryan Cranston has come quite a way since Malcolm in the Middle, he does a great job and conveys such a likability to what could have been a bland and boring character. The bloodshed in the movie is absolutely insane, like I said, this reminds you a bit of a 70's action drive in movie. There's buckets of blood and tons of violence. I also loved having Ron Pearlman as this typical mobster who's terrifying to cross paths with but you can't forget that he's Jewish. What a great addition to the character. I think Drive was one of the better movies that came out of 2011, it has everything that you could want in an action movie. Action, romance, great soundtrack, cool cars and awesome chase scenes. Let's put it this way, I rented it, watched it, the next day I bought it, it was totally worth it.

Whats the fuss about?

Author: lawlessd from Ireland
31 October 2011

I'm not sure if this movie falls into a particular genre that just grates with me, but from early on in this movie I realised I was not enjoying it. But I watched all the way through to see if I was indeed just me.

I'm not sure what style of movie making Drive falls into, but I find that you don't care about the characters. Exisitential, Surreal? More emphasis is put on the filming of the movie than the story of the movie itself The movie-goer is just an observer who sits on the sidelines and is not encouraged to engage with the characters at all. The overly long lingering shots of single scene, are no addition to the movie, as is the continuous drone which I assume was put there to increase anticipation, but just irritates.

I found myself disliking Gosling's character as he says so little to the point where you ask " did someone forget to tell Ryan Gosling he is in a movie and needs to act? " Several idiotic flaws run through the movie - Gosling's character wearing a white jacket, which becomes blood stained mid way through, yet he continues to wear it in public without consequences. His car which he rams into the bad guys vehicle with enough force to flip it onto a beach, is still pretty drivable for the remainder of the movie.

A pretty decent cast was assembled for this movie, Ron Perlman, Christina Hendricks, Albert Brooks, and Bryan Cranston, so I expected more.

I'm sure there are those who will call this movie a classic, and I'm sure it is by a certain set of standards, but for a Joe Soap guy like me, it was a waste of my time

Pretentious crap

Author: Peter Olsson from Sweden
2 April 2012

Could they possibly have made any cut any longer, I don't think so. Gosling makes Keanu Reeves look like Oscar material.

Really liked when he revved through all gears, but he still goes like 35, LOL.

High speed car chase and doing a 180 going in reverse, not much left of your gear box there.

When he finally gets rid of the last person connecting him to the money, he leaves it in a parking lot? Yeah, there will sooner be Martians walking the streets than that ever happening.

Pretentious crap.

8.0 rating, that's the joke of this century. Only shows that the saying, "A million flies can't be wrong -Eat Sh.t", still holds true.

Worst movie in a long time

Author: kleadbe from United States
28 September 2011

Some people think that movies consisting of "serious looks", awkward silences, bloody sick brutal gore depicting the "barbaric nature" of man are artistic. However if don't find things like that enjoyable to watch and you go to the movies to be entertained then this not the movie for you.

The movie consists of very little driving, which given the title one would thing an entertaining blockbuster from Hollywood would contain. But rather it consists of bad people brutally killing other bad people. And that's it. There's the plot. I know, I wish I had more detail to say...but I don't. To put it another way, out of the 20 people that were in the theater I heard each and every one of them say something along the lines of "well that was waste" or "well you picked it *exasperated sigh*" upon exiting the theater.

wtf?

Author: traveljunkie1990 from Australia
6 November 2011

This movie was bad. Really Bad. Don't See It.

Sorry if this review reflects the complexity of the dialog of this horrendous movie. I have never walked out of a movie before it finished, even if I'm busting for a leak, I never leave the cinema, but I had to make an exception for this amazing piece of trash. The only movie I have ever seen with less dialog is a silent film. They may as well have gotten wooden mannequins to do the acting, they would have had the same effect. Pointless nothing to pointless gore, mad for a totally pointless movie

The only reason I even give this movie 1 star is for the boobs.

A Multi-Layered Abuse to the Film Industry

Author: diac228 (diac1987@netscape.net) from Orlando, Florida
19 September 2011

So I walked out of the movie Drive. This is the first time I've ever done such a thing. I've seen a lot of bad movies in my day but there has never been one that infuriated me to a point in which I couldn't continue. And being a film lover, I sat down and analyzed just why exactly this movie ticked me off so much. What was it about this movie that drove me up the wall to a point in which I walked out before I even got to see the conclusion? It wasn't the acting. It wasn't the music. And it wasn't the lush cinematography. What irked me the most was that Drive was disguising itself as an indie flick when in actuality it wanted to become an action movie so badly.

And this strategy while an insult to the entire institution of filmmaking, worked. It got rave reviews at film festivals here and there and got nice reviews from critics, lavishing the acting, supposed tension, and cinematography. I watch this movie because of the rave reviews and literally saw the Transporter movie wrapped in an indie flavor, nothing more. The first half, where we supposedly see "character development," consists of characters engaging in extremely minimal small talk and the rest of the time just staring at each other. I am not kidding. After the tense opening which reveals our main character's secret job (which is familiar to the opening of Transporter), we get nothing for about 40 minutes. Except a lot of pointless scenes.

Drive is about a very good stuntman that doubles as a secret driver at night (Ryan Gosling) who silently falls for his new neighbor (Carey Mulligan) while at the same time gets mixed up in a mob scene (which loosely is a Transporter plot). The first half has all the development, only in the second half is when we see all the action and driving you've been observing in the previews. Based off a novel of the same name, the script must have been easy to write, because it barely has any dialogue while the story is pretty much a mashup of Tarantino-like violence with Transporter-like symptoms.

The movie is so inconsistent, and amongst the small pieces that don't fit together they are all sparkles of what we've seen before—and what we've seen before has all been superior. The supposed amazing chase sequences? Bourne and Ronin does them better----and to a similar budget extent, The Transporter. The supposed amazing violent tension? I can name dozens of movies that do it better. And the extreme violence that is inconsistent with the theme, tone, pace, and characterization of the first half of this slum? Of course, while it doesn't quite match the plot it's been perfected years upon years ago by Tarantino and even to an extent Robert Rodriguez.

But another big reason why I dislike this film so much is because with Drive, we've seen it all before, and yet the critics will not point this out—or choose to avoid it. We've seen these types of movies before (quiet men that has their actions do all the talking), we've seen this type of ultra-action before, and we've seen these stupid attempts at conflicting and blending genres far too many times in the indie and mainstream scene. Drive was originally billed as blockbuster during development so what do they do? Hide the fact that it's the clichéd low-caliber blockbuster that's trying so hard to be a European Tarantino hybrid. They trimmed the dialogue, screen time, and for the Cannes Film Festival nixed the action billing and called it an independent film. They literally were changing the packaging and tone of the movie based off of box office numbers. That's disgusting. They were trying to sway the critics by changing the entire genre.

Bottom Line: Drive, you are a pathetic, pointless, stupid, trite, slow, muggy, grudgy, tasteless, senseless, disposable, forgettable movie with abysmal pacing, abysmal writing, and no sense of direction whatsoever from the first second to the last second I watched before deciding to walk away. You don't know what movie you want to become, as you literally spit yourself through at least three different genres that actually repeal each other like a magnet. You barely clock in at 100 minutes, yet it felt like two hours the first half in. I will not blame the acting, for they had next to nothing to work with. I will not blame the cinematography, which wasn't bad either. I will blame the fact that your crew decided to pretend like your movie was artsy, underground, and indie, when in actuality your movie is this ultraviolent action movie that rears its ugly head long after the audience has fallen asleep through the numbing first half.

Your movie sucks.

Bad.

good for 5 minutes, slow, boring to death, annoying; pointless and violent overall: 1/10

Author: TimLaz from France
21 January 2012

This film could be acceptable with the first 10min only, as a stand-alone short. Otherwise apart from the good photography, the acting is bad, really bad, no story, and slow, so slow development...and so pointless and pretentious. poor dialogues, bad direction. Really bad music, and loud, way too loud. Free violence, pointless and rough, average effects.

This is not a good film, probably the most overrated movie of all times on IMDb.

I give it a 1/10 for photography, otherwise there is nothing to vote for.

Drive Away !!!

Author: overeager-1 from United States
23 September 2011

I'm not sure this movie deserves a 1, but it in no way deserves an 8.6 where it's at now.

My wife and I were so disappointed. I cant believe so many people liked it that much. Almost makes us question trusting reviews any longer. Was poor acting, slow moving, only a couple decent drive scenes and I don't ever want to spoil an ending for anyone, but we even questioned that !!

If you're thinking Transporter and hoping to see Jason step up to the plate and kick some ass...don't. The actor in this one is so slow to speak, and sometimes move...we found ourselves going...OK...time for next....frame....word.... movement.

Just left us in a somber mood.