IMDb > Drive (2011/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Drive

Drive More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 122: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Brilliantely done!

Author: siminel from Switzerland
15 March 2012

This is my first review ever because I got annoyed by some nasty comments I've read here.

I think humankind has lost its perception about what's good and what's bad in movie industry. With all the Transporters, Transformers, all the Fast and Furious series and the look alike, they give bad reviews about Drive because it lacks all the clichés from the previous mentioned. I feel bad for them because they're blind in front of a masterpiece and cheerful and encouraging to blockbusters made only to appear in cinema just for the money and fame.

I admit, I wanted to see this movie because of Ryan Gosling. And once again, he did not disappoint me. I've seen most of his movies and I think this is his best role, yet. I rarely see a performance like his in Drive and when I see it, I know it will be stuck in my mind for a long time. If I wasn't already a fan, I would've become after Drive. The way he plays The Driver was worthy of an Oscar and it's a pity he was not put in the race for the award.

I loved everything about it. The director did an amazing job, making this movie. All of the actors were wonderful in their roles and there were some moments absolutely breathtaking. I give it 10/10.

2 hours of my life wasted

Author: monahmed from London
16 April 2012

I decided to watch this movie after looking at the reviews on IMDb. Firstly, how on earth can someone rate this movie more than 1 out of 10? This is by far the slowest ever movie in existence. And never before have I seen a movie with no meaningful storyline what so ever.

The acting was diabolical, the plot is as dry as a southern Arizona prune plucked in the prime of July, the suspense... what suspense? How this movie received such positive ratings by reputable critics, let alone the laymen, has left me dumbfounded! People like AK have commented on just how brilliant this movie is, but honestly, take it from me, it is a waste of two hours of your life.

In my honest opinion, a slug race is faster than this movie, and if you truly value your time, then steer clear of this movie!!!

Truly breathtaking if you can stomach it

Author: MovieShrink7 from United States
12 February 2012

Drive is surely not for everyone. What starts out as a mild film evolves into a genuine bloodbath with a quirky, sort of eighties, soundtrack.

If you can handle the gore, by all means, see this film. It is beautiful and haunting. Gosling delivers an incredible performance even though his character is unnamed and barely speaks throughout the movie. He brings the character of "the driver" a depth that I would not have thought possible before seeing it myself. While watching this movie you to come to respect, fear and love Gosling all at once. Stacking up nicely is Bryan Cranston in his supporting role, which is a far cry from his character on Breaking Bad. Carey Mulligan is not brilliant in this film but the great thing is that she doesn't need to be.

Aside from the acting, the film is a beautiful masterpiece. The driving sequences are incredible and the music, though unorthodox, fits in somehow. The directer conveys a story to the audience by using visuals and conveying emotion without heavy dialogue. It truly is what makes this film a stunning work of art.

If you're looking for a stereotypical action flick, this is not it, if you're looking for a beautiful doe eyed love story, this isn't it either. If you're ready for something different, beautiful, intense, and mesmerizing, this is what you should see. It definitely deserved more than one Oscar nod.

Mostly meaningless, but a good soundtrack and feel

Author: hamon89
15 December 2011

It's OK.

Seriously, this is for people who think they're all artsy because it has some quiet scenes and disturbing violence packed into one movie. Several scenes are meaningless and try to provoke the viewer without giving further boost to the story. The lack of substance and dialog from the main character is not exciting or smart in any way.

It's just another "american-man-saving-a-defenceless-woman" kind of movie with no character depth and the story is very predictable. Not even an exciting twist at the end..

Nice filming and setting though. And I have to say that the soundtrack is the best thing with this movie. It's really good actually. They should've shortened it down and made it a music video instead.

Flat variation on the so called "Homage" genre

Author: nielsijzerman from 's-Hertogenbosch, Nederland
13 December 2011

This movie, or so I've read, has to been seen in a certain perspective.

It's meant to be an homage to a certain genre of 70's/80's flicks in which the silent man with no name who has a possibly violent past kicks the behinds of evil crime lords who want to evict the really nice family from their premises. Like in "Shane", but different. In the sense that this is kind of bad.

The first 10 minutes where promising, showing off with camera angles, riders and the lot. Acting wise, there's not a whole lot wrong with it, it's the directing or perhaps editing that killed the momentum. It's just too slow at times. After a while though, the camera tricks (especially the dramatic riders, zooms and extended no motion close-ups) tend to annoy you just enough to stay awake for the unnecessarily complicated, but still boring storyline.

Edit: I will watch this film another time. There have been films in the past that I didn't like the first time, including "Full Metal Jacket". So maybe I just don't recognize a masterpiece first time I see it.

, and had similar strong feelings about them, and turned after re

Worst movie of the year

Author: Alexey from Israel
13 November 2011

Before the the starting credits, there's a great, even thrilling, sequence of driving. Turns out it's the only interesting and worthwhile scene in the whole movie!

The movie is actually extremely boring, but not "arthouse" boring - it's just slow with nothing interesting happening, no plot, no dialogs, just idiotic, tormented and extremely phony long stares from both Gosling and Mulligan most of the time. And to top it off, some of the most unjustified and unnecessary violence that I've seen (even more than in Irreversible, which is also bad, but at least has some concept).

I'm really surprised that Gosling decided to appear in this. From such genius movies like "The Believer" to this, what a decline...

Crock of poop

Author: toriacarr03 from United Kingdom
1 October 2011

Ill be honest i never finished the film, it was too awful to finish.

I always give the 20minute rule however this film got the slight benefit of the doubt considering its mega over hyped status. It got 30 minutes out of me before i simply couldn't take it any longer.

I cant really add to the already split reviews on is film, its seems you either love it or hate it!

To conclude - soundtrack = horrific, acting = unbearable, storyline = boring and pointless, overall = a complete waste of my valuable time, id rather watch insidious again and thats saying something!

save your money folks or even your download time, it really isn't worth the effort.

Wanted it to end after only 15 minutes!!

Author: wobbs1 from Australia
6 November 2011

This is the first review I have done...and I was so disappointed with this move that I had to get it out of my system!

Its the storyline that kills this movie. After the first action driving scene, I was left wondering - ..'surely thats not it.... really...that was an action driving scene ??..'

If you are thinking of high action driving movies like the Transporter series (as an example only).... forget it.. this movie is mis-titled and should not be called DRIVE...

I cringe when I say this - but I felt this movie was a try hard love story... with some violence thrown in just to try and appease any blokes in the audience...

By all means - take a look... but don't expect a big action driving movie like the trailers suggest!! You will be very disappointed...

I just don't get it.

Author: Steve from United States
20 October 2011

Alright I didn't know much about this movie going in. From the opening title credits and first scene it looked pretty promising. It reminded me a bit of the classic film noire movies from way back when, mixed with modern film making.

After that... it all went downhill from there.

The first problem that starts, and plagues the entire film throughout is the acting. I don't know why everyone on the set of this movie was instructed to show absolutely no emotion or any positive aspects to their characters and personalities.

But you soon realize that no one has character and personality!

Even through the moments of "exposition" where you're supposed to become attached to the characters, it's literally non-existent.

Examples: "Oh no the Driver is in trouble... who really cares?" "Oh no the girl the Driver likes might get killed... I actually wouldn't mind."

Seriously, The Terminators and the Replicants from Blade Runner had more character and personality, and they weren't even human.

The action scenes are short, and nothing fancy. Though I like how they made them over-the-top gory, it's like they knew they were uncreative, so here's a bunch of blood to keep you entertained!

The plot is generic, the "mob" wants to eliminate a "loose end." Except this mob is composed of the biggest retards I've ever seen, and you literally find yourself hoping that the good guys and the bad guys will all just die in a fiery wreck as painfully as possible.

Last but not least, the music. My God is it the most unfitting and awful crap I've ever heard in a movie. How do you screw up a sound track this badly?

Drive in the end is a generic film with an overused plot, bad acting, unlikable characters, and just overall poor sense of direction. I don't know what the hell people see in this movie.

Drive on

Author: rooee from United Kingdom
24 September 2011

Danish director Nicolas Winding Refn's Bronson was an attempt to do something strange which came across as depressingly ordinary, whereas his latest – starring a stolid Ryan Gosling as the nameless "Driver", and Carey Mulligan as his angelic neighbour, Irene – seems to be something very ordinary made quite strange, mostly through the use of slo-mo in the emotional bits as much as the action.

There isn't all that much action. Certainly very few car chases. When it hits, the violence hits hard, but it's all mired in long stretches punctuated by wordless glances, pregnant with nothing but beauty and elegant framing. It's like some crawling period drama for angrily repressive mechanics. Thankfully it is accompanied by Cliff Martinez's delicious ambient score, so you could just close your eyes.

The plot is first-rate "meh": a one-last-job affair with sexless damsel-in-distress underclothes. The Driver gives his clients a strict five-minute window (the reason for which, even after he's explained it twice, is never entirely clear), before he bails out – but five minutes is all he needs. He doesn't carry a gun; he'd prefer to force-feed his enemies bullets.

We know that Driver is our hero because he's the only man who doesn't shout all the time. Bernie (Albert Brooks) and Nino (Ron Perlman) are particularly perturbed. Their over-the-counter barneys are strongly reminiscent of those Grand Theft Auto cut scenes we tend to skip. In fact, the whole italicised neon credits thing and the 80s-esque synth score is pure Vice City, except without the fun.

At least Mad Max had a reason to be mad. From where does Driver's psychotic streak stem? Valhalla Rising suggested that Refn positions man's capacity for violence somewhere deep in his soul, so I guess a backstory isn't necessary. Bryan Cranston puts on a good show as the half-crippled Shannon, who might as well have an enormous glowing target on his forehead.

Comparisons with Michael Mann are inevitable, particularly the neo-noir nightmarescape of Manhunter, and the homoeroticism of Heat. Difference is, in both cases Mann was shooting a screenplay of quality and distinction. Drive, by comparison, is about as distinct as a cigarette flicked from a passing car.