IMDb > Blue State (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Blue State

Blue State More at IMDbPro »

Funny movie but some of the dialogue sounds like a political debate

Author: Jeff Beachnau (beachna9@gmail.com) from Omena, Michigan
12 June 2007

I saw this at the Waterfront Film Festival in Saugatuck, Michigan.

Funny movie about a political activist John Logue (played by Breckin Meyer) who makes a drunken promise that if George Bush is elected president, he will move to Canada. After John Kerry is defeated by George Bush, it seems like Logue's life has lost its purpose. Finally, after his friends insist that he keeps his promise, Logue decides to take the trip to Canada. To do so he places an ad for a road partner and chooses the mysterious Chloe (Anna Paquin).

In case you didn't notice by the synopsis, this film does rip on President Bush quite often, so don't be upset if you're from a certain political party, you know what was in store before seeing the film. It started out very well but I felt that it lost some steam in the second half and never really recovered. It's still a good movie, but I wish it would have kept its same charm and comedy that it had in its first half.

Breckin Meyer and Anna Paquin were very good together, they were well cast and did a good job acting. However, there are times where it seemed the film was written by someone the day after the 2004 presidential elections. It probably would've been a better film if some of the dialogue didn't sound like people debating on CNN.

It's a nice film and worth looking out for, but just remember to read what it's about before seeing it because it's not for everyone.

Does the writer even know where Canada is???

Author: ChristianDiorScientist from Ontario
20 March 2008

I really wanted to like this film -- it is a great idea! However, the comic undertones of the film quickly gave way to a downbeat drama and the portrayal of one of the most dysfunctional families ever seen on film.

My enjoyment of the movie dwindled as the film went on and on and on. It wasn't really the acting (at least not of the main characters), or even the directing, but rather the writing that was at fault. The script is heavy handed and unbelievable.

On top of this, the writer should have at least visited Canada, or checked out some facts about the country before writing so egregiously. The movie makes it look like Winnipeg is a day's drive from Washington state; Canada border guards do not ask Americans to see their passports at the border - they ask for identification (Social Security number, driver's license, etc.); Winnipeg does not enjoy Chinooks (where weather changes 30 degrees in a day) that's Calgary; By 2004 when this film takes place you would have a hard time finding any Canadian boasting of universal health care; and you really don't hear that tall poppy story up here -- that is a story Americans use to describe Canadians, not a story Canadians use to describe themselves.

Overall, this was a missed opportunity for a very funny, poignant and timely film that really missed its mark. The plot was good, the main actors good, but the actual writing was very clumsy.

Knee-jerk much?

Author: very_soggy_cornflakes from Malaysia
7 November 2008

The people who ripped into the movie for portraying a one-dimensional Canada or taking potshots at Bush are missing the point.

Canada as a locale in the movie is merely a convenient shorthand-- it could have been Mexico or the UK or Australia, the point is that it's a foreign country. Calling 'Blue State' "anti-Canadian propaganda" is a bit like calling South Park's portrayal of egghead Canadians "anti-Canadian propaganda".

And, it may be just me, but I felt that 'Blue State' pokes more fun at the Democrat zealot than of Dubya-- for a considerable portion of the movie, and when he's on tirade-mode, it seems to me that John is portrayed as a sad, almost ridiculous figure.

That aside, the leads are believable and exhibit romantic chemistry, and make their characters likable. Especially Breckin Meyer-- as written, John is a self-important, uptight person for most of the film, but Meyer imbues his character with humanity.

Overall a mild political satire and competent, heartfelt romantic road trip.

after a few festival showings this went direct to DVD

Author: Jay Harris (sirbossman6969@yahoo.com) from United States
4 February 2009

As per my summary, this film had no theatrical play-dates, very rightfully so, This a perfect example of a second feature film & not worth a solo showing especially at todays prices.

I will not go into the political stuff as other reviewers did. What I think of the story line as there really is none? This is another road trip movie. It was filmed in Winnipeg Canada & area for under One Million Dollars. A nice tax write-off for the producers.

This was written & directed by Marshall Lewy,this is his first full-length feature. Let us hope he improves,the script & direction is adequate for this type of film.

The stars are Breckin Meyer (from TV), His performance is' not bad, but not that good either, and Anna Paquin who as child actress won a supporting role Oscar (The Piano) has done better adult roles. The rest of the cast also is adequate.

The cinematography was mostly by hand-held cameras & it was very annoying,. The song score was not too bad. The movie runs 92 LONG minutes.

Ratings: ** (out of 4) 61 points (out of 100) IMDb 5 (out of 10)

An opportunity sadly missed

Author: totalofseven from Canada
3 January 2009

The summary for this movie sounded promising. Immediately following the two consecutive Bush elections there was, indeed-- if the media is to be believed-- somewhat of an exodus of Democrats heading north. Whether these "disgruntled Democrats" were political activists, or just scared, is beside the point. It's a story that I think begged to be told.

I'm an American citizen who has lived in Canada many years. I would advise the writer/director, if he is to succeed in any way, shape or form, in depicting characters beyond his borders, that he do some research. If he had used such shameless stereotypes in portraying Indian or Chinese citizens he would have been a laughing stock, if not blacklisted. I thought "Knocked Up" set the bar in that regard in the last couple of years, but Blue State wins the award. I've never seen so many ridiculous stereotypes utilized in the space of nearly two painful hours. This movie didn't just stumble into the indignity, it took every opportunity to embrace it. For what? To make their American characters look good and reasoned and noble? As an American, I was thoroughly embarrassed.

This movie was outright offensive to Canadians and informed Americans; in particular, *real* political activists who wouldn't have succumbed to a pretty face, but may have had a more serious agenda in mind. I would have liked to see a much more thoughtful exploration of the lead characters, living at a time of great political conflict, in a more realistic setting, not this backwards gong show disguised as a politically aware love story. To be perfectly frank, this movie is a perfect example of why Americans have such a hard time endearing themselves to people outside their borders. It is self-serving, ill-informed, arrogant crap. It may have tried to depict the characters returning home as a result of their own political/emotional conflicts, but it ended up looking like a narrow escape from a life in the circus, i.e. Canada.

The writer/director completely missed the mark, here. And may have offended a few million people in the process. Not that a few million would have even bothered to see this movie. I certainly hope not.

Nothing Stand Out

Author: Mr_Sensitive from THAILAND, BANGKOK
11 April 2009

At first I find it pretty entertaining, but then after sometime it just keep dragging on and it end up to be pretty much --- boring. I have no idea was the movie about when I first watch it, it seem like a nice independent production movie but in the end it was way too average propaganda movie with an American point of view of Canada.

The main reason I watch it was because I pretty much familiar with the actors Anna Paquin and Breckin Meyer. Most of their movie is pretty much watchable so I went along with it in this one. The story is so-so; nothing great can be said about it; except it makes Canada look like a really dreadful place and people are very much a freak.

Nothing much developed during the course of the movie except we get to learn the reasons why they wanted to move to Canada, and the rest is just gap filler. The paces of the film never change but keep constantly slow and somehow not one single moment of memorable scene.

I say the film might have work a whole lot better with other direction (and better script), cause this is way too simple and boring and nothing much has been added to help to set the mood of the film any better.

The best of the film got to be the casting and that what might be the only things that attract people to watch this movie. Their acting that was kept me watching it and nothing else.

Overall it is not a movie I would recommend to anyone, cause it just plain boring and one sided. There are some potential but the film has been made and it is not up to the par.

Reason To Watch: Anna Paquin and Breckin.

Reason Not To: Dreadful.

Rating: 4/10 (Grade: F)

Blue State = awesome movie

Author: from United States
12 February 2008

I saw this movie at the Tribeca Film Festival in 2007. I think it won the audience award there. The atmosphere in the theater was electric (Anna Paquin, the director and producer were all there). It is a really great movie. I walked out of the theater feeling uplifted by the experience and in a better mood for it. Not only are the performances spot on (I think this is some of Anna Paquin's best work), but the movie manages the rare feat of being both funny, warm and thought-provoking at the same time. I would describe it as part road movie, part romantic comedy - with some acute political commentary thrown in for good measure. This is not, however, a movie that preaches its politics. The (few) political points it does make are balanced and more importantly very funny. The portrayal of Canadians and Americans view of them is hilarious. It's out on DVD and on netflix, etc. so go ahead and see it. You won't regret it. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Just Bad...

Author: Kara from Canada
15 August 2010

I don't care that this movie pokes fun at Canadians even though they completely over-exaggerated EVERYTHING about Canada; some parts were slightly humorous while most all of it was absolutely ridiculous.

Overall the movie was really boring. The script was poorly written and the scenes just dragged on forever. There was somewhat of a plot with the fact that the main character was moving to Canada because he wanted to "escape" from America, but there was no climax, nothing to anticipate really, and rather predictable.

I was really disappointed and bored and would never ever recommend this to anyone.

If anyone is looking for a cute romantic comedy to watch, this is not your movie.

An Unromantic Comedy

Author: Roedy Green from Victoria, BC. Canada
8 December 2013

This is a typical formula romantic comedy in that the couple fight and insult each other for most of the film then suddenly get the hots for each other at the end after getting plastered on home made Canadian beer. It is an unusual romantic comedy in that I found myself hoping the whole film he would escape from her. She was totally wrong for him. She was an soldier in Iraq. He is a rabid peace activist. She lives on junk food and meat. He is a vegetarian. He is highly idealistic. She is totally self centred. He easy going and rational. She is erratic and touchy. There is no attraction besides sex. Usually such differences just create fodder for humour, but in this movie, it turns into a mild horror.

The movie is mostly them sniping at each other. There are two other notable scenes.

In one they go to meet the boy's father, who seems to think he is Rush Limbaugh, or at least a worshipper. It is quite over the top, packing in every Republican stereotype into a few minutes. It is hilarious, horrifying and depressing.

In another scene, he almost marries a gigantic older woman besotted with him that he just met to help him toward Canadian citizenship. It is just creepy.

Other than those two scenes, not much happens. It is like travels of a handsome young man with his cranky cat companion. She is not intelligent enough to say anything interesting, and not stupid enough to be amusing.

This is a strongly anti-Bush film. It was made by Canadians. It has fun with the stereotypes Americans and Canadians have about each other.

Blue you will not be, for the most of the film, its quite funny but, there is some heart-wrenching drama, too

Author: Amy Adler from Toledo, Ohio
14 February 2011

Its late in the year 2004 and John (Breckin Meyer) is in despair. After working very hard on John Kerry's presidential campaign, our man John is astounded that "W" was re-elected. Not only this, Johnny promised friends at a bar, during the pre-election period, that he would move to Canada, should Senator Kerry lose. Uh oh. Packing up, John advertises for a travel companion, to help with expenses and for company, as he will be going from California to Winnipeg. Soon, a beautiful young lady, Chloe (Anna Paguin) responds to the ad and agrees to go with John. However, she is rather mysterious about why she is leaving the USA. No matter, off the two go. John is somewhat disappointed that on their first hotel stop, Chloe insists on separate rooms, for he can't deny his interest in the young lady. They also make a stop in Washington to see John's parents, since its "on the way", but, it is a dismal and nerve-jangling visit. This is so because John's political views and eating preferences are the complete opposite of his folks. The two younger people leave in a hurry. As they near the border, Chloe suddenly gets cold feet and some secrets surface, ones that startle John. Will the two make it to Winnipeg, where the woman who runs "marry a Canadian for residency" is waiting for them? This is a wonderful film, with plenty of humor and heart. As the two principal stars, Meyer and Paquin are terrific and compliment each other well. The supporting cast, mostly unknowns, is fine, also. The scenery is vibrantly lovely while the costumes, camera work, and steady direction add much to the movie's success. Then, too, the script is relevant, humorous, and touching, although those with conservative political views may not care for it too much and yank it out of the machine. Nevertheless, it has some interesting points to convey that every viewer can admire, no matter what their persuasion. So, if you love romantic comedy and/or films with an abundance of weighty topics, get this one tonight.