« Prev | 94 of 199 Episodes | Next »

Make The Sampo!

Author: blunthead from United States
22 June 2008

I love movies that are well-made, with good acting and direction, and I love good TV shows. I'm 55 years old, have been watching TV since a kid, and Mystery Science Theater 3000 is my second all-time favorite TV show (since I can't demote TAXI). My favorite mst3k episode is The Day the Earth Froze. Joel Hodgson and the other writers were really on their game this time, and he and the bots delivered their commentary in a flowing, effortless way. They seemed to especially enjoy their unfortunate duty with a movie absolutely determined to be ridiculous.

In my favorite part, the hero's quest requires he journey over water. A loud voice instructs him to make a canoe out of a nearby tree, which he begins to cut down as the scene fades out. The same scene fades back in (Servo says, "...eight days later...") as the tree is about to fall, and Joel, as the loud voice, says, "Not that tree".

The Day the Earth Froze provides fans with on of mst3k's great catchwords: Sampo; which is a substance created, only on uniquely demanding occasion for its powerful, magical properties, by certain mythological types--gremlins, trolls witches, and such--who occupy a subterranean commune, and who regard The Sampo as better than cookie dough.

Other fav episodes: The Amazing Colossal Man, Teenagers from Outer Space, I Accuse My Parents, Rocketship X-M, The Sidehackers, and, of course, 'Manos' Hands of Fate.

"The Stay Puft Marshmellow Man in chains!"

Author: Eric Stevenson from United States
9 December 2016

This has to be one of my favorite episodes of the entire show. It's weird how I missed this one. I think I mistook it for "Jack Frost" another movie about a fairy tale in the far North. Gypsy had some really great fun with her singing. I guess "Unhappy Meal" was kind of a given. The last part was especially nice with Crow and Tom Servo floating in those bags! It does make me wonder how they were floating. I was wondering what the third bag was for, but it was actually for the mail. That was a pleasant surprise! I also like when they're asking what Sampo is.

The circus short was absolutely amazing. I especially loved "Here comes the Devil!" and "Our Betty goes both ways!". I love seeing them terrified of the clowns, but at least they had some respect for an Emmett Kelly look alike. Oh yeah, and "They're going clown style!". There were too many great riffs to even mention in the movie. I really liked, "Sister of mine" followed by "You shaved your beard". I also loved, "You'll never see the face of your sister again!" with "Can I see other parts?". I loved the Rocky and Bullwinkle jokes with, "Save me, Rocky! Save me!" and "Will somebody put me out? I seem to be on fire!". ****