« Prev | 138 of 199 Episodes | Next »

My predictions were correct!

Author: Eric Stevenson from United States
23 June 2016

I'm going to admit to complete bias in this episode. The main reason I'm giving this the full score is because I got the stinger right. I absolutely knew the scene involving the guy staring at the camera talking about the money would show up at the end. How right I was! Seriously though, this was a hilarious episode. I really love the out of theater segments too. I just find it interesting to see Crow and Tom Servo suffer more damage as they try to open Gypsy's diary. It's just such a funny series of images to see those robots playing with water pistols at the end too.

The preceding short was just great. I was so anxious before they said, "It's the circus of the Devil!". Another great one was, "Everybody down! The bread man is here!". The short was so goofy it was perfect riffing for this show. As for the movie itself, there were tons of great things as usual. I liked when the giant Tom Servo appeared in the theater and kept saying, "Movie bad!". It's great to see interaction in the theater itself. I wish I could remember the specific parts that made me laugh. I loved, "The school called. Everybody hates you" and "What's the idea of trying to make a fool out of me back there?", followed by "I thought it went okay". ****

Above Average MST3K, Not A Bad Flick Either (by bad flick standards)

Author: verbusen from Fahaheel, Kuwait
17 January 2007

This movie is a solid 6 in my book. I watched it as an MST3K episode but could have easily been entertained by it on it's own. I like heist movies and as easily as I knew this one was doomed to failure, I actually was getting nervous for this guy. Throw in a very bad slut, so really stupid greasers (well I guess most greasers are really stupid), and the finishing touch is the safe-cracker with class who I'm pretty sure was the shyster in the Trouble With Tribbles episode of Star Trek (one of the best loved ST TOS episodes ever) and its definitely a 6 rated low budget noir. Hey, Beast of Yucca Flats an under 2 rated movie? Absolutely, but High School Big Shot deserves much higher. The MST3K treatment almost does it a disservice, almost. There are some pretty good one liners to use in this, the MST3K boys did miss some good really spot on jokes but they passed because they are so PC and hold back from things like gay cracks, like in the beginning when the greaser tucks Marv's shirt in his pants (maybe too close to home for them?). High School Big Shot, I rate 6 out of 10, if you like noir see it first without the commentary. As a MST3K episode its one of the above average episodes, comes with a funny bread salesman short before it.