IMDb > "Smallville" Fragile (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

« Prev | 107 of 217 Episodes | Next »

Great Job Tom

Author: jon.h.ochiai (jochiai@socal.rr.com) from Los Angeles, CA
17 April 2006

Tom Welling's directorial debut on "Fragile" is very impressive. "Fragile" is one of the best episodes of this season. Emily Hirst as Maddie, who is born with the ability to control glass, is amazing. She is a talented young actress with a promising future. Her performance may largely be inspired by Welling's direction. His style is understated and has a great feel for relationships. Clark (Welling) and Maddie's (Hirst) relationship is touching, never strained, and the strength of "Fragile".

"Fragile" also returns to the distinguishing storyline of "Smallville" that inspires the series. Sure Clark possesses these awesome super powers, but what really distinguishes Clark as a hero is that he always believes in and sees the best in people regardless of circumstance. I believe in my heart that is the legacy of hero. As the story unfolds Clark becomes Maddie's hero, and in turn Clark inspires Maddie to reclaim her innate power and nobility. All this within an hour's time.

Tom Welling has evolved as an accomplished actor in "Smallville", now he demonstrates a gift for directing. May Tom continue to pursue greater accomplishments in his blossoming career.

Shattered Glasses and Heart

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
8 July 2007

When the foster mother and chief of staff of Martha, Naomi, is brutally murdered, her dumb stepdaughter Maddie stays with Martha and Clark. The girl becomes close to Clark and speaks again, but when she discloses her power of shattering glasses, she becomes the prime suspect of Lois for the death of Naomi and her biological mother. While Clark investigates the origin of Maddie, her powerful father leaves the prison and abducts her. Meanwhile, Chloe witnesses Lex and Lana too close to each other and later she accuses Lex of taking advantage of a vulnerable Lana. Martha assigns Lois as her chief of staff.

In this episode, the treatment of Clark with the wounded little girl is amazing. The debut of Tom Welling as a director is a pleasant episode mostly regarding his relationship with Maddie. The attraction of Lana for Lex is disappointing, even considering that her heart is broken for breaking-up with Clark, since the guy is a despicable villain. My vote is eight.

Title (Brazil): "Frágil" ("Fragile")

Fragile

Author: ckballarosa from France
16 October 2006

I really did like this episode. Emily Hurst, (Maddie), was a good actress. In my opinion TW did a VERY good job directing this, I mean it was a LITTLE shaky but good enough for me! I loved seeing how Clark's softer more calm side come out. It was like all the weight of the world wasn't on his shoulders. I've heard, (from sources), that Tom Welling is GREAT with kids and I think it really showed.

This episode was good and should've put a smile on everybody's face. I hope that Smallville keeps up it's good run and see more loving episodes like this in the future... not that I don't love them all... I have them all!

Thanks

Why didn't IMDb credit the original freak?

Author: kiss_me_kent from United States
18 April 2006

A character, who isn't even credited in this episode is the actor who plays Maddie's biological father. The actor is the very same man who played a very philosophical Cylon in Battlestar Galactica who was introduced in the miniseries, and we have come to love and hate at the same time. And through this character, Tom Welling is able to make a point in this episode, a message that he had learned and passed on to this wonderful little girl, that anyone can become a father, but it takes a special person to be a dad, and I could totally see Clark being a great dad. We have seen this with Ryan, Evan, and now Maddie. It was a great episode, and Callum Rennie should be credited for this part.

Maddie the Murderer?

Author: Rcwilkinson123 from United States
21 April 2008

Another filler episode proceeds the fifth season of "Smallville." A woman is shattered by a high-pitched scream, and many believe the culprit to be the woman's foster daughter Maddie. However, Clark doesn't believe that Maddie is the reason behind the death. Though Clark's mother Martha doubts that Maddie can be proved innocent, Clark tries to find the real murderer.

This episode illustrates Clark's great ability to look for the good in people, as he did with a young girl who was blamed by everyone else for the death. It is also similar to previous episodes 'Stray,' 'Ryan' and Ageless,' of Season 1, 1, and 2, respectively. In those episodes, Clark demonstrated his ability to help children, just as he did in proving Maddie's innocence.