"Mystery Science Theater 3000" Robot Monster (1989)

« Prev | 29 of 199 Episodes | Next »

Satisfactory episode, but makes for a good excuse to sit through such a lame movie

Author: Mr-Fusion from United States
27 May 2015

I've seen "Robot Monster", and if you're going to put yourself through such an ordeal, you may as well have the bots along for the trip. Give this movie credit for creating the lasting image of a lumbering gorilla suit with a space helmet . A costume like that would be a hit at parties. Other than that, you should only watch this movie drunk or stoned (both?).

As an "MST3K" episode, it's good, although not one of my favorites. It was back in the early days, so the green tint is understandable. But I do confess that Tom Servo's old voice is a bit jarring (Kevin Murphy made him my favorite character, and this was before him). That said, the riffs are good and it does the job of making "Robot Monster" manageable.

Watchable

Author: WakenPayne from Valhalla
17 February 2012

I think the segments form Radar Men From The Moon were worse than Robot Monster - I wasn't living in the age of movie serials but one ends with a plane crashing to the ground - then after that you have the same opening credits, the same introduction and then you see that hey look everything's okay - this cliffhanger ending in this is WAY too overused.

Robot Monster was an awful movie to sit through though (I think Santa Claus Conquers The Martians is the worst "worst movie ever made vote" and yes I have seen Manos) the riffing was pretty good - not as good as previous episodes though.

Overall: decent TV Episode - Definitely made both movies watchable (with Radar Men From The Moon that is an achievement) definitely not the best episode though - I felt as though they could have done something more with it though.

MST3K extravaganza

Author: starviewfarm from United States
27 March 2011

In my book, this episode is a must see - not only do you get a really great/awful movie but you get two episodes of the Commander Cody serial Rocket Men from the Moon. Joel, Crow and Tom Servo have a double dose of fun getting through two serial episodes and then there is the movie itself - a real bit of foul poultry that apparently won a Golden Turkey award. You have to love the bubbles and all the related quips - my favorites are when Joel shows how champagne "goes right through him" and the one-liner done in Lawrence Welk's voice.

For those of you who maybe have seen the 2010 flick Megamind, Ro Man appears to have been the inspiration for Megamind's minion - a gorilla body with a diving bell/fish bowl head.

Pretty Weak Episode

Author: Michael_Elliott from Louisville, KY
27 October 2015

Mystery Science Theater 3000: Robot Monster (1989)

* 1/2 (out of 4)

This episode of the series starts off with two RADAR MEN FROM THE MOON chapters and then we get to the main feature ROBOT MONSTER, the 1953 movie which is considered to be one of the worst ever made.

As I've said in what few episodes I've reviewed, I'm really not a fan of the series but I skip around and watch episodes with bad movies that I enjoy. I really thought this episode was really bad and it's certainly the worst that I've seen. The two chapter episodes aren't all that funny and there really aren't many laughs to be found. I was really letdown with the ROBOT MONSTER stuff because while I did laugh a few times there weren't enough to keep me fully entertained. What's worse is that there's actually a lot of time when no one is speaking.

Certainly not one of the best the show has to offer.