IMDb > Aliens in the Attic (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]

If Kids Wrote Reviews, This'd Be Rated Higher

Author: grnth from United States
2 August 2009

I saw this movie with my 2 kids -- ages 3 and 9. Although I can't say I cared for it much, they LOVED it. I've never seen my daughter (the 3 year old) laugh so much or sit so still at a movie.

As a grumpy adult, I couldn't ignore the irrational plot line. My kids could care less, and they adored the clever funny dialogue and the silly slapstick comedy.

I'd strongly recommend that adults stay away. I'd also strongly recommend that anyone with kids go see it.

My rating of 8 is an average. I give it a 4, but both kids give it a 10. That averages out to an 8.

Hey, this isn't a bad movie for little kids!

Author: bill-790 from California
12 August 2009

A couple of days ago I took my 11 and 6 year old grandsons to see this movie in Oceanside, California. Suffice it to say that I did NOT decide to go jump off the nearby Oceanside Pier when the film was over. Sure, it's no world-beater. On the other hand, I was somewhat surprised that the movie was better than I had expected.

Probably most of the criticisms one can read in the other reviews have merit. But over all "Aliens in the Attic" is far from the worst kids movie you have ever seen. Obvious, yes, but enjoyable for the little ones. I'll say this, I took these same grandkids to see "Daddy Day Camp" when it was out and I was completely disgusted and disappointed by that turkey. "Aliens in the Attic" is a couple of notches above that one. At least there are no exploding outhouses or questionable values modeled by adult characters.

No doubt taking little kids to the zoo or going for a walk in the woods would be better for little kids, but if you get stuck for something to do this summer you should not feel hesitant to take them to this film.

Good movie

Author: kpayne27 from United States
2 August 2009

I am a mom with four children. My one-year-old didn't go with us, but my five-year-old, ten-year-old, and twelve-year-old went with me to see this movie. I must say it was refreshing to see a children's movie that was actually suitable for children to watch. We thought certain scenes were very cute and funny, there was no foul language, and my children enjoyed this film. It is sad that so many other movies get attention when this one is entertaining and clean. I would recommend it and think it is better than a lot of other summer films we have seen. On a scale of one to ten, I would probably give it a seven. That is an honest evaluation based on action, entertainment, humor, and story line. Overall, not a bad movie at all.

Underrated and Funny Family Entertainment

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
24 December 2009

Stuart Pearson (Kevin Nealon) heads with his family to spend a summer vacation in Creek Landing, Michigan, with his brother Nathan Pearson (Andy Richter) and his sons and their mother Rose (Doris Roberts) in an old lake house they had rented. When the television has trouble with the image, Stuart's son Tom (Carter Jenkins) and the arrogant boyfriend of his sister Ricky Dillman (Robert Hoffman) go to the attic and then to the roof, where Tom meets his cousin Jake (Austin Butler) and they find the antenna dish totally destroyed. Sooner they discover four alien invaders that are preparing an invasion of the Earth that use a mind control weapon that only affects adults and they lock the quartet in the attic. Now they need to a find a way to force the adults to leave the house and discover the vulnerability of the invaders to plot a defense plan to save our planet.

"Aliens in the Attack" is an underrated and funny family entertainment. I laughed a lot with many moments of this enjoyable story, especially with Robert Hoffman that is hilarious when the kids decide to get even with him using the alien control. The CGI is also good, and Sparks is really a sweet character. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Pequenos Invasores" ("Little Invaders")

An entertaining family film

Author: Argemaluco from Argentina
29 August 2009

I went to see Aliens in the Attic with a bit of distrust,in sight of all the modern family films which are full of special effects,whose screenplays completely lack of any energy or intelligence and whose direction is completely mercenary.However,during the first minutes of Aliens in the Attic,my bad expectations started to disappear because the chemistry between the actors was good and the humor was a bit above the standard of what we are accustomed to see on this kind of film.Besides,during those first minutes,I dared to think that this movie was going to capture the spirit and tone of films like Gremlins,Critters or Small Soldiers,where a group of kids and teenagers also used their intelligence and ability in order to fight against creatures with doubtful intentions.Although Aliens in the Attic did not reach the heights of the previously mentioned movies,I cannot deny it entertained me.

The cast from this film was very well selected.Kevin Nealon and Andy Richter are funny in their roles,while Tim Meadows is credible and very enthusiastic.From the young actors,I think the best one was Robert Hoffman as a teenager who is kidnapped by the aliens.The screenplay from this movie has various fails,like for example,the lack of logic in its premise (if aliens can control people,why did they not start with someone who is powerful,instead of an anonymous family?),but it tells the story at a speed which makes Aliens in the Attic impossible to be boring.However,although it never bores,the film looses some energy near the ending,where director John Schultz generates a forced suspense,at the same time the story brings its obligatory message.

In spite of its various fails,I cannot deny I had a good time watching Aliens in the Attic,so I think this film deserves a recommendation as a good family entertainment.

Entertaining family movie, don't be swayed by the negative comments and rating

Author: Pidge_uk from United Kingdom
14 February 2010

Don't be mislead by the overall rating, we found this movie very entertaining when in needed of some light entertainment for the evening!

Yes the story is run of the mill seen before stuff but it was well put together and flowed well enough, it certainly took me back to my childhood and the weekly trip to the video shop with my dad to rent a family film for the night, and can only imagine it would be great for kids (unfortunately ours is not old enough yet to appreciate anything other than tellytubies).

I definitely put it up with all the good old 80's classics like goonies, back to the future etc, as a no brains good old adventure... can also recommend spiderwick chronicles as a similar fantasy adventure film!

Silly

Author: kosmasp
29 September 2009

You really have to find your inner child, when you watch this. And really, why would you watch this expecting anything else then a silly little comedy? It delivers on that premise and has either good actors to support some crazy humor (I forgot her name, but one of the "Golden Girls") or some crazy idea (a device that ... well you see, if you watch the movie)!

Maybe the voice of reason, should prevent me from a 6/10 rating and rather give it a 4 or 5. But I actually liked the movie and the charm it developed. The fun, that the cast and crew obviously had, while shooting the movie, translates onto the screen. Sometimes you really need something really silly, to enjoy ... this one definitely fits the bill! (and kids will love it ;o) )

Not everyone's movie, but a lot of fun if it's your kind

Author: fandomfatale from United States
22 July 2010

I'm in my twenties, and I loved this film. If you look at the title and the cover and know for certain you won't like it, then you probably won't. But if you think you might, then I'd recommend giving it a try, because I was a little unsure but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

The plot is pretty simple: while vacationing in a large rental house over the Fourth of July holiday, the Pearson family is forced to stop an advance team of four aliens from bringing eternal enslavement and/or instantaneous death to the human race. The alien technology allows them to control the adults (leading to a lot of slapstick comedy, some of which will be funny to adults, but all of which the kids will enjoy), so it's up to our hero Tom (17 years old or thereabouts), his siblings and his cousins to stop them.

I thought the acting was quite decent. Carter Jenkins brings a lot of good energy to Tom, who is very likable and sympathetic. All of the kids do a great job, and the voice talents behind the aliens bring a lot of personality to those characters in only a few scenes. Thomas Haden Church as Tazer really stood out to me and J.K. Simmons is always fantastic.

The messages I came out of it with were 1) family is cool, 2) fishing can be just as fun as video games, and 3) being different is OK, and being smart is OK. Ashley Tisdale's Bethany doesn't start out as a particularly sympathetic character, especially when taken with her sleazy boyfriend, but she soon shows herself to be a good role model, demanding that her boyfriend respect her and her family.

I laughed plenty – even the jokes which were easy or cheap didn't make me groan or roll my eyes.

I would definitely let my kids watch this movie. Not only do I approve of the general morals espoused by the film, but they'll almost certainly enjoy it. And, except for believing Grandma had gotten into the Pinot Grigio, Miss Tisdale bouncing around in a skimpy bikini, and a scene of Bethany and her boyfriend putting lotion on each other including a reference to "second base", the film is totally clean. And even those things are hardly worth mentioning.

It's not supposed to be smart, it's supposed to be fun. And it's targeted towards kids. I wouldn't recommend it to everyone I know, but I know a couple of people who would definitely enjoy it, so don't discount it so quickly based on other reviews if you think it might be your kind of movie.

Enjoyable Children's Film

Author: matus92 from Canada
13 August 2009

As my title implies, most children will find this film enjoyable. I went to see it with my younger brother and he loved it. Does "Aliens in the Attic" have content the parents would enjoy? Not really, and no it doesn't have the depth of humour that Pixar or the older Disney films have. It's just a fun kids comedy with plenty of slapstick to keep them amused throughout.

Overall, this movie was decently acted, with some very funny moments (and I'll admit I laughed a few times myself). The CGI aliens are pretty poorly done unfortunately and the characters are nothing new; however, if you see this film for what it is- mindless entertainment- you just might enjoy it. At the very least, the children will.

a good film for the whole family

Author: dtucker86 from Germany
8 August 2009

I couldn't believe the mean comments by some of the other people posted here. Every once in a while its good to see a film that makes you feel like a kid again. I think thats called appealing to your inner child. Yes this movie doesn't have a believable story or great special effects, but come on folks. I saw this film today and the kids in the theater were laughing and having a ball. It appeals to them because in the movie that kids are the heroes SPOILER ALERT who stop the aliens, outsmart the adults and save the world. I thought it was so cute in the film how that little girl bonded with one of the aliens. It was sad when they said goodbye, a real tearjerker. I also enjoyed the slapstick in the film especially with the arrogant jock, it was nice seeing him humbled like that. Kevin Nealon, who used to be on Saturday Night Live, has a good part in this as a well meaning but dorky father. I also wanted to mention the noted character actress Doris Roberts who plays the grandmother, she was on my parent's favorite show Everybody Loves Raymond. There is a scene in this film where the aliens possess her and she turns into a superhero and kicks butt. It is the single funniest scene I have witnessed in a film this entire year. I thought I would fall out of my seat! I'll bet Ms. Roberts had a ball making this film. I'm glad I went to see this film and highly recommend it. It wont win any Golden Globes or Oscars and the American Film Institute will never consider it a classic but it will make you laugh and feel good after the credits roll, isn't that why we go to the movies?

Page 1 of 6:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [Next]