IMDb > "The Big Bang Theory" Pilot (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The Big Bang Theory: Pilot (#1.1)"

"The Big Bang Theory" Pilot (2007)

« Prev | 2 of 186 Episodes | Next »

Pilot for "The Big Bang Theory" should be the start of another hit for Chuck Lorre

Author: tavm from Baton Rouge, La.
25 September 2007

A couple of geniuses, Leonard (Johnny Galecki) and Sheldon (Jim Parsons) return to their apartment after leaving a fertility clinic (they had changed their minds about donating sperm) and meet a new next-door-neighbor named Penny (Kaley Cuoco). Leonard, smitten with her, invites her for lunch at his place to the consternation of roommate Sheldon. I'll stop there and mention how funny many of the lines provided by Bill Prady and Chuck Lorre (of "Two and a Half Men" fame) are, especially those written for Sheldon who's hilarious whether analyzing his roommate's more-than-friendly interest in Penny or putting his intellectually superior attitude in overdrive. Should be another hit for CBS Monday Nights!

A Flying Start

Author: eevee_j from United Kingdom
12 November 2010

There are many aspects of the pilot show which serve excellently to comically drive the narrative and introduce the characters. Leonard and Sheldon are shown to dress awkwardly, their apartment is decorated with models of atoms and flip-boards and this fits them perfectly. Penny's colourful character and juxtaposition to their world works excellently. The topics and lexis of the physicist's conversation is shown as obviously abnormal through Penny's reactions and humour at their quirky ways, which we can relate to. Through the editing and use of cutting scenes with atoms, the beginning of their new, different story has a fantastic start.

The First Episode...

Author: Taylor Kingston from Australia
18 June 2015

I love this episode. It's a great series premiere and it's just so funny. All of the cast play their characters very well and it's just a very good concept for a Pilot episode.

In this episode, thirty-something-year-olds Leonard Hofstadter and Sheldon Cooper are friends, who live together in Pasadena, California. They are brilliant. They have a combined IQ of 360. They work as physicists at Cal Tech. They are great friends with engineer, Howard Wolowitz, and astrophysicist, Raj Koothrappali. When a beautiful girl moves across the hall from Leonard and Sheldon, they are friendly and go and meet her. She's an actress named Penny from Nebraska. She's works at The Cheesecake Factory, waiting to get her big break. Leonard is nice and offers to have dinner at their place, since they just ordered take-out. Leonard develops a crush for Penny, as you knew he would. And when he tries to impress her by getting money she's owed from an ex-boyfriend, he and Sheldon both lose their pants.

Overall, I give this episode a 9 out of 10, which in my ratings book is: Amazing.

Great way to start off

Author: peterhill-84900 from England
16 March 2015

When I first discovered TBBT (The Big Bang Theory) it was at a friend's house at dinner. I was instantly drawn into the bizarre world of this dysfunctional yet entertaining friendship between four guys and their new neighbor, Penny.

So I tracked down the first ever episode and boy was I pleased I found it. It's a delight to watch as we're introduced to the awkward and unsociable, Sheldon Cooper, or Leonard who's trying too hard to win over Penny. Then there's the adorable Rajesh who can't speak to women and then Howard who's the comedic womanizer.

This first episode is a ton of fun but is just the tip of a very large iceberg.