IMDb > "Dexter" (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Dexter"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Dexter" More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 52: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Best show I never expected to like

Author: scott_weishaar from Chicago, IL
11 June 2016

When you read that a show is about a serial killer it is (IMHO) natural to question how you could identify and like the main character and show. But in the case of Dexter I had the benefit of the ratings being exceptionally high on IMDb to peak my interest enough to give it a try. I'm very glad I did as they come up with a somewhat far fetched back story, but having it based on an orphaned child under horrific circumstances of seeing his family chainsawed to death causing a cop to adopt him and raise him anticipating problems based on his sick tendencies who responds by setting up the Dexter with a "code" to kill bad guys who slip through the system making him a "lovable vigilante serial killer" who gets rid of disgusting people the system doesn't punish. So Dexter is a human scavenger focusing his desires on scum of the earth people the audience sees as deserving, making him a good guy not a psycho.

So while a serial killer, they have a fairly good back story that allows us to grow to like the serial killer and root for him because while he is sticking big knives in people's chest and cutting them up to dump into the Atlantic from his boat, they are the kind of people you wanted Dirty Harry to shoot in all those Clint Eastwood movies where (especially in the first) when he gets the chance to blow them away with that big 44 magnum at which time you now want him to blow the bad guy away (and make it hurt if possible).

That leaves us with a base story that allows for some interesting season and episode level stories. Dexter is pretty consistent in the season having a story that they did a good job of building to a climax at the end that was intense. Some I liked more than others, and while I hated when they let Rita get killed because Dexter dragged his feet killing the bad guy for the season. But as the show progressed it did open the coming seasons for more interesting developments in the show, stories and in Dexter as a human being.

That leaves the end of the show that I was not pleased with at all. They dragged us through all the evolution to see Dexter set free from his "dark passenger" finally at the series finale (or last few shows). But they just couldn't let a serial killer go off happy and in love. They took care of Harrison as he told Dexter he loved his new girlfriend soon to be wife as they prepared to leave. I could even accept them taking out Deb. But why leave her a vegetable that Dexter couldn't leave? I understand need for closure on that end, but why not just let her get shot and die a hero so he could go on? I liked that he wouldn't let her live a veggie as we all know after all those seasons that wasn't his sisters way, she wouldn't want to burden anyone and was brain dead. She would have wanted to have Dexter pull the plug on her. But why couldn't he have simply gone on to meet up with the new girlfriend whose love healed his heart so he could feel emotion? I could have even accepted him dying in the storm better than what they did. Having him wind up out west as a logger was a horrible end. He cleaned up everything and could and should have had him connect with his love and let them end the show living happily ever after in Argentina. But having him battle his demons, win, and then just live alone in a shack heart broke when he simply had to go marry his love and father Harrison was a maddening ending that lowered my opinion of the show a great deal. I'm a romantic, even in a serial killer main character I wanted Dexter to wind up with his cute serial killer wife and raise Harrison living off their riches as their love healed each others need to whack innocents or anyone else.

Given the way they dodged and wrote around the other obstacles for the rest of the major stumbling blocks in the story why not let our main character come out happy? I gave myself weeks to allow the initial anger dissipate so I could write this without the initial anger laced through. Dexter is unique and would be a 10, but after finding a way for him to dump his darkness, heal his heart and live with real feelings deeply in love with his new wife and son having him wind up alone in a logging camp was a crappy way to end the series. With so much that I adored about the show and characters I've never been so disappointed in the ending of a show. One of those times when I think the writers gave the viewers a very poor ending when there was a spectrum of endings they could have given us from him dead or in jail and would have rated them higher than the 1 star ending they gave us. After all those hours of good entertainment and in 8 minutes the writers stuck it to the audience with a 1 star ending that could have been a 10. 8 minutes; Guess Breaking Bad endings are just really rare where we get it all.

Great first season

Author: dougvanbenthuysen from Albuquerque
25 April 2016

I broke an oath I made to myself a few years ago by rewatching the first season of _Dexter_. When that show ended, and that *spoileralert* sicko sat that in that pathetic room looking at us through the screen, I was happy it ended. I wanted him sitting there forever, unable to move. *endspoileraltert*, but had to give season one a revisit, because it was so damn good.

Dexter embodies the fantasies many men in our generation. We just want to be the perfect gentleman all the time (while working a cool job, banging a hottie), except when we are unleashed to go buck-wild on (mostly) sexual predators who have so offended the ladies we love. That character Paul: perfect caricature of the bad ex-husband. The moment I really got back into this show, where I just paused to write this, is when I felt along with Dexter the desire to track down Paul and kill him. A literary work is great when it sucks you in.

Definitely not watching past season two, though. The series dies with Doakes's death.

5/10 for the series, but +1 because season one was a ten.

Loved the concept and the whole series except for the last episode!

Author: anasmich
9 November 2015

I really loved the concept. There was no other series in which you could love the bad guy! Very nice plot! Nice cast and interesting characters! Dexter is a amazing character, well played by Michael C. Hall, who seemed to have a "normal" life in general! And that is the best on the plot.. that if I didn't know that he's a serial killer I could never imagine it. In addition, another thing I liked in this series was that there was a connection to the plot between the episodes. However, in my opinion, Dexter was a unique character and he deserved a better end in his story! That's actually the only reason why I voted 7 out of 10!

Dexter is must watch!!!

Author: kiralariviere from United States
6 May 2015

I just finished Dexter. Wow! What a great show! I highly recommend it if you like crime dramas on an intense level. It's about a forensics expert who moonlights as a serial killer who only kills those who have escaped justice. In my personal opinion, Dexter is much more. He struggles with his dark side and his humanity, in the end his humanity wins out when he leaves his job, family, friends and leaves his 4 year old son with his girlfriend who is living in Argentina, all to start over and create a new self. I musty say though the ending was not what I expected, it could have been more epic, but otherwise a decent ending. Over all Dexter is a must watch show.

They put something in the water

Author: TBJCSKCNRRQTreviews from Earth
25 March 2015

Miami, Florida. There are a lot of people doing very evil things. And when they slip through the cracks of the legal system, that's where our titular lead(C. Hall, subtle, meticulous), and his Code, comes in. He investigates them to ensure he doesn't off anyone innocent. Drugs them and wakes them back up in a secluded room. They, and the room, are taped down with plastic – no DNA evidence left behind. With photos, he ensures their victims will be the very last thing they see, before he bludgeons or stabs them. Up close and personal. Not the noise and distance of a gun, or the "soft", almost indirect way of poison. No, he wants to feel it. If there's an ironic or poetic way or place to take them out, he'll find it. And he saves a blood slide from each of them: a trophy. Dismembered and dumped off the Bay, no one knows about it. Murder. It's one heck of a way to make a living.

Of course, he wasn't always like this. Actually, OK, he totally was. But as awful as this side of him is, he does try to channel it so it might help. Of course, in my opinion, it's not "terminate people who do wrong" that solves problems with people's criminal behavior. It's social issues, making sure everyone can get by without resorting to crime: wages for poor people that allow them to thrive, education for everyone, etc. That would greatly limit how many criminals there would be, and then the police could focus all their energy on just them. This does explore whether it's justice or a need, revenge. And there's, of course, the element of it being a power fantasy.

Before landing the blow, he may have a short conversation with his target. After all, they share some similarities… both have intentionally slaughtered other people, and more than once – except for some of the rapists and the like. How do they deal with this or that? What choices have they made, and were they happy before their current predicament? And the serial killers herein, the many different types of what this calls monsters(I feel that only actions can be terrible, people may have the option to either do them or not, no one is inherently wicked) are explored in great detail – this is, at its core, a psychological thriller.

Learning the craft took years, and a mentor. That's where his adoptive father Harry(Remar, the weight of such responsibility, coupled with the hope for the better) comes in. The hero cop crafted the ruleset that I've mentioned above. He died before this is set, living on in Dexter's mind, this shown via both actors interacting, which we realize is only what is imagined to be taking place. Every major decision is "discussed" with him, and he'll argue, show pride, express disappointment, etc. How long should we follow our parents' guidance? Where do we set the line, what is a healthy way of rebelling?

Thus, his stepsister, Debra(Carpenter, nervous in spite of competency), got the short end of the dad's attention-stick. It pushed her to join the force, and she now fights to get into Homicide, from Vice. One of the only women in a male-dominated field, she's masculine, and tries but fails to hide her insecurities, indecisiveness, and her deep emotions… usually with an obscene, pun intended, amount of swearing, which can get awkward, and feel like they had a quota to fill. The two of them together is sweet, always looking out for each other. She's the closest he has to a human connection.

His girlfriend, Rita(Benz, scared, not pathetic) is scarred. Figuratively speaking. Her ex, who left her with two kids, that she takes great care of, is an abusive junkie. She isn't comfortable with intimacy, which is how he prefers it – he's wary of letting people in, thinking they won't want the real him. With just a little mishandling, she could have been very frustrating. If she had been continuously stuck in her pain, someone for others to help with no end in sight, that's not really something we want to see. And that's not what we got. She has stories of her own. As does almost every regular in this, many of them found in the department, some of whom will change rank over the years, their families strained by the job and the like. This is stock-full of dynamic, detailed characters and their interpersonal relationships, that grow and develop over time. Every performance is compelling.

This is tense, dramatic, addictive, binge-inducing and crazy fast-paced, a ton happens in a short space of time, without it being exhausting or feeling forced. This is almost always good, it's even better when its stuff that relates to the whole season(each of which is a chapter in the overall plot. 1 and 4 are amazing, 2 and 3 are great, 5-8 are good, but skippable. And the finale is only OK), and it's at its best when it's to the entire show. A lot is communicated in little time. Scenes "turn", someone loving turns out to be a psycho or vice versa. Still, this doesn't rely too heavily on fake-outs, twists or the like. The production values are high. This goes into what "normal" is, whether or not it's possible to have a fulfilling life while secretly engaging in destructive behavior, among other themes. Can it be controlled? Could anyone accept it? Can it remain hidden?

In addition to what I've already noted, there is a lot of brutal, bloody, disturbing and violent content in this. That makes sense given the nature of this. What does not always, and gets unpleasant, is the many prostitutes, strip clubs, and general nudity and sexualization, including of the deceased(!), and the many fridges full of girls, not treated as individuals, rather, there to get sympathy. I recommend this to anyone attracted by the subject matter. 8/10

My Favorite Of All Time.

Author: Mohamad Bellamy from United States
21 January 2015

Unique experience. Perhaps Dexter is my only favourite TV series i have ever seen in my life. It reminded of me. I may not be a killer but i felt like him, i never understood people. I connected with this amazing TV series, it made me think once again about life and be happy for the people who can easily smile and pretend. I felt the life that those actors and actress has in this TV series, it made me believe they are real.. because they had been chosen really good for their characteristic. Dexter thought he will not find happiness, but he did. Dexter lost all of it. The ending was great, it was not happy ending but it was realistic, perhaps if i were him i would do the same thing, he never wanted to destroy people around him but he hurt them all and then he face the truth... at the end he left infinitely and utterly alone. Overall, the ending made me upset, cause i always wanted him to felt something constantly.. maybe because he is like me. Watched so many movies and TV series, there will not be anything like Dexter.

A Really Good TV Series

Author: blakepatterson2000 from tennessee
1 January 2015

This Show is awesome and excellent with a great story that has an excellent cast. I've seen all 8 seasons and my favorites were 2 and 4 because they had some pretty intense stuff but awesome things like the Trinity Killer and The Bay Harbor Butcher. This show started in 2006 and became one of my favorite shows with others like Breaking Bad and The Walking Dead. If you have not seen this show you will need to see it because it is a really intense and great show. One thing is if you want your kids to watch this show they need to be able to handle the language and violence. Also this show has Nudity and some sex scenes so you might want to close your kids eyes. But this is a great show and will be a fan of Dexter

Dexter: Best serial Killer ever

Author: umaroid from Pakistan
18 September 2014

Everything about this show is just amazing. The concept of a serial killer who kills to actually make the world a better place, take out the trash as Dex would say, it's very powerful. The dark passenger, the code, the boat, the knives, the ritual, blood spatter etc.

But the best thing was the relationship Dex and Deb share as brother and sister, it's so intense and it was the one consistent thing in both of their lives. Overtime you start to feel the characters, I actually felt bad when Dex let Hannah in his life despite Deb telling him not to. You develop a strong attachment to the characters very quickly.

Yes, the end was kind of tame. But the characters, Rita, Harry, Vince, Angel, Harrison... especially Deb and Dex are gonna stay in mind forever. It was totally worth it, gonna miss watching it.

Bring Back DEXTER!!

Author: sidhukingofkings from India
26 August 2014

WoW WoW WoW

The best series I have ever seen.. Don't end show with disappointed season 8 we need more form dexter.. It's a hard accomplishment to get someone to actually love a serial killer. But Dexter is one of those few attempts that works. It's not forced upon you- the show doesn't shove the whole "well this serial killer had a terrible childhood..." in your face. And it doesn't need to in order to get you to love its main character. You just do.

Michael C. Hall can play any emotion he's handed. Jennifer Carpenter fits her character perfectly, as does everyone else in the cast.

Then there's the actual story lines. It's not cliché. It's actually scary and chilling. It keeps you guessing. It's one of those mysteries that is very difficult to solve, but it still keeps your interest.

'Dexter' can also be hilarious when it wants to be, depressing when it wants to be and especially thrilling when it wants to be. And it doesn't come across as trying too hard.. DEXTER series is masterpiece on TV it can't end like that.. Bring back DEXTER!!! A highly recommend one of the few good series on TV worth watching.

Excellent - Must see!!!

Author: landaudan15 from United States
19 August 2014

As each season of Dexter comes around, the acting gets better, the story gets better, the production values get better, the show as a whole just keeps getting better.

The new season is easily the best of the series. Without giving anything away, the characters are being shown in a different light. I find it weird that I am beginning to warm to a serial killer and don't want him to get caught out. All I can say is that after watching the final episode I could not sleep a wink!!! (I don't want to spoil it for you, so you will just have to see it) This is entertainment at it's very finest - but definitely NOT for the faint hearted.