IMDb > Save Me (2007/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Save Me More at IMDbPro »

a beautiful, honest movie

Author: marastar_2002 from United States
6 June 2010

I love gay films, and this is one of the better ones I have seen. I grew up in the Midwest, and I know only too well the struggle to reconcile who you are with the religion you grew up with. It's easy for some to write off religion or to say that it is outdated, or shouldn't matter; the truth is that for many people faith and God are important in their lives. And this movie addresses that struggle. Some won't like the movie because there's not a clear-cut good and bad, and it is clear that although sometimes people acting "for the Lord" can be misguided, there is also a lot of good that can be done. The actors are amazing. I actually was not familiar with any of them before watching this film, but I was very very impressed. Watch it! It's beautiful and truthful all at once.

A different kind of love story

Author: Jay Harris (sirbossman6969@yahoo.com) from United States
21 January 2009

This first screenplay by Robert Desiderio is very commendable,

He is from TV & so are all of the other actors.

Judith Light & Stephen Lang are devout Christians, They run Genesis House, a home to help homosexuals be saved by the love of Jesus. A few years back her own son killed himself because he was gay, & this one of the reasons they run Genesis House, We are concerned with 2 of the guys. Robert Gant (he was Ben in Queer as Folk) & Chad Allen (many TV shows) Judith Light & Stephen Lang are TV Veterans of many years,

Miss Lights role is not that of a bigot,it is one of a devout Christian misguided but definitely not a true bigot.

This excellent performance & the roles done by Allen & Gant, make this a love story to be seen & discussed.

It does have many clichés as one would expect, they are well handled

This is another film made in New Mexico & the scenery is superb.

It had a few month run in only a handful of theatres this fall.It should of had a better run.

There is only one very short sex scene at the beginning & a few uses of the 'F' word.

I recommend SAVE MR for lovers of good love stories.

I am glad I saw this film.

Ratings *** (out of 4) 87points (out of 100) IMDb 8 (out of 10)

A remarkable love story that portrays people with the best intentions, struggling to find themselves.

Author: (alex@worldzoo.com) from San Francisco, CA, United States
25 January 2007

I was grateful to attend the world premier of SAVE ME during the 2007 Sundance Film Festival. After reading about Save Me's incredible premise, I knew that I was in for an incredible experience. I am happy to write that I was blown away and the movie exceeded all of my expectations. Chad Allen's performance was marvelous. Robert Gant's strong performance was as touching as ever. Judith Light absolutely killed it! The story of a young man struggling to find himself amongst a whirlwind of drug addiction and self-abuse, Save Me was a portrait of my teenage years. I related to almost every single thing Chad Allen's character went through. I will write that this film is a must see.

Amen and Hallelujah

Author: Editor-499 from San Francisco
7 October 2008

A labor of love that affirms love. I came expecting something cynical and one-sided, featuring caricatures of anti-gay religious zealots--and imagined I would be vaguely entertained by such a depiction. Instead I was deeply moved by the vulnerable humanity of the characters.

Apparently the producers (who also happen to be the 3 lead actors) worked for years to secure financing and otherwise make this project happen. Obviously they had a clear vision of what the film could be, and their rapport with director Robert Cary helped him achieve that vision although he joined the project relatively late. It is rare for a movie to open my sometimes jaded mind and heart. From now on, thanks to SAVE ME, I will be able to look for the humanity in gay "recovery" crusaders, rather than condemning them out of hand as bigots.

Judith Light deserves an Oscar. SAVE ME is her best work.

A thought provoking drama of Christians and Homosexuality.

Author: mark.waltz from United States
30 September 2010

This film makes a great double bill for the 2008 TV movie "Prayers For Bobby", the story of a gay teenager who killed himself after his Christian mother (Sigourney Weaver) rejected him when he refused to get help and ended up becoming a gay rights activist. Here, "Genesis House" is run by Judith Light, a loving Christian woman whose teenage son came out to her and faced a similar rejection then died of a drug overdose. She has started a home to help gay men find Jesus and change their lives to become straight. When the drug-addicted Chad Allen moves in, he is at first resentful, but slowly comes to be a replacement for her son as he brings Jesus more into his life. Another resident (Robert Gant) becomes friendly with him, and Light fears that they may become romantically involved. She feels it is her duty to prevent them from heading down further sinful paths and does all she can to keep them apart. This is made apparent at a church dance where the church girls do their best to get the men out on the dance floor and find out that just because they have a dance partner, romance won't loom because the men still are what they are. One of them actually adamantly refuses to even look at the girl eying him for a dance and scoots away from her every time she inches towards him. Robert Gant's dying father refuses to accept the fact that Gant could possibly be saved and their farewell scene is very poignant and even heartbreaking. Then one of the men attempts suicide which is the foundation for the film's emotional conclusion.

The Christians presented here are all very nice people, even if they thoroughly believe that gays are doomed to hell unless they give up homosexuality to fully bring Jesus into their lives. Judith Light is excellent, and it is a tribute to her liberalism and activism on many human right issues that she would take on a role so unlike her real-life persona. You can't fault her character for her feelings on the subject of homosexuality because she is understanding even with all of her bible-thumping Christian mentality. Even in her confrontation scenes with Gant, it is obvious that she only has her client's well being in mind even if she is short-sighted on many aspects of the issue. Stephen Lang is outstanding as her sensitive husband, a recovering addict himself, who actually seems to be more in tuned with the reality of the client's lives. When he stands up to Light, not a lot of words are needed to express this character's feelings on the hypocrisies of the situation. He seems to realize that many of the gay clients quietly hold Christian values to their hearts and honor Jesus in spite of the lashing out at their community by the church.

This is not presented as an attempt to change the minds of Christians who truly believe in everything they read in the bible, but to present the issues as seen through each side of the coin. Hopefully, viewers from each side of the fence will be able to see the points of views of the other and be more understanding as the issue continues to be debated.

We're Saved Already

Author: thesar-2 from United States
26 April 2009

Of course, I couldn't help myself longing to re-watch 'But, I'm a Cheerleader' while viewing 'Save Me.' Though two different genres – 'Save Me' is hard drama, while 'Cheerleader' is strictly comedy – they both present the same premise: unwilling homosexual participants admitted into a "Go Straight for God" isolated home. Sure, 'Save Me' tackles the straight-converted more realistically (RuPaul was just laugh-out-loud as the former gay male leading men to a heterosexual lifestyle) but unfortunately, 90% of the film sides with the Christians. If they were shooting for that, more power to them; they have a right to free speech. However, it was painfully obvious this was a movie about knowing oneself, accepting your sexuality, and tolerance. Equally as apparent was who was going to end up with whom (and this is coming from the very first shot this person was on screen.) Not to give any spoilers, and anyone watching 10 minutes of this will already figure this out, but the one character I would've liked Chad Allen's Mark end up with, was the heavy-set Lester. Too often, the most attractive (and usually, most straight acting/macho) men find love in these gay-themed films. One notable exception, a movie I absolutely loved, 'Big Eden,' and a big kudos goes out to that film for breaking the stereotypical, clichéd and predictable mold, as seen in 'Save Me.' We get some depth into Lester's character, even a Lifetime moment, and learn he's searching for love and the existence of love between men. This would've been a perfect opportunity for the 'Save Me' writers to steer off the beaten path and surprise me and "save" it as an original piece. Well, anyways, they went for the, ah hem, straight path and showed redemption with somewhat good acting. You could do worse than 'Save Me.'

not what i expected...different but better

Author: jakers12367 from United States
21 March 2009

In this genre of film, the flops far outweigh the quality movies. Usually, there is more camp and unnecessary nudity, stereotypes and sex scenes to fill the time. I'm not sure if this is suppose to be related to the audiences the films are produced for, because if so, they are undermining these moviegoers. Now about Save Me. I thoroughly enjoyed this film. I enjoyed the fact that its central theme was more about finding one's self than about depending on someone else. After all, the best relationship one has is with him/her self. I thought the performances were excellent. Judith Light did carry the movie with her incredibly realistic and heart-wrenching performance. However, I also believe that both Chad Allen and the actor that played Lester were great as well. Over the last little while, I have been catching up with Mr. Allen's work, both on and off-screen and he not only seems to be an impressive actor, but an amazing human being. Being a future filmmaker, I do hope to work with him one day. In retrospect, although the summary explains that it about a powerful love between two men at an ex-gay ministry, the title really exemplifies the message. One must find themselves before one can give him/her self in any relationship, be it gay or straight. We must all remember that love doesn't discriminate and that one must live life to its fullest and in a way that makes him/her happiest. They say it was a struggle to get this movie made and to advertise it. I believe it, but I am happy that they persevered and got it produced. It is a movie of fine quality and an important one for anyone to see. Yes it is a movie about sexuality and religion, but it's mostly about choices and healing.

Superb Ensemble Cast

Author: donwc1996 from United States
20 March 2009

This is a superb film all the way around. The script is top-notch with writing that has the sound of truth throughout. This production is a labor of love and this can only be attributed to the principals behind it, Chad Allen, Judith Light and Robert Gant. Most importantly, it tells a relevant story in terms that are clearly understood and hits every note just right. It is very timely and has a feeling of being right out of today's headlines. The cast is uniformly excellent and the two male leads, Chad Allen and Robert Gant really light up the screen with sparks flying the moment they lay eyes on each other. Gant, of course, is the stud from "Queen As Folk", the main reason I watched the series. But he and Chad Allen play off each other in a very effective and dramatic manner which really grips the viewer and makes you want to know what is going to happen. Judith Light, one of my very favorites from daytime television, nearly steals the film from everyone she is so wonderful. And it is utterly shocking how unglamorized she is. One aspect of the script that works is how it keeps you at the edge of your seat so that you really do not know what is going to happen until the very end when it does happen.

excellent independent film

Author: blanche-2 from United States
8 March 2009

Robert Desiderio wrote a wonderful role for his wife, Judith Light, in "Save Me," a 2007 film about a religious group, Genesis. At Genesis, the idea is to make gay men straight. One of the heads of Genesis, played by Light, blames her son's suicide on the fact that he was gay, unable to face up to the fact that it was her rejection of him that helped him along. Her second husband (Steven Lang), not the boy's father, is a little more lenient in his views, and this causes conflict. When it's obvious that two of the men at Genesis (Jeremy Glazer and Chad Allen) are attracted to one another, she becomes increasingly more disturbed.

This is a very good film about, as far as I'm concerned, a misguided attempt by fundamentalists to "straighten out" gay men on the premise that it's in the Bible. There's so much in the Bible that contradicts itself, but there's one thing pretty obvious in the New Testament - judgment is to be left to a higher power. A religious group that condemns someone not of their belief system isn't, in my opinion, Christian or religious.

So much for that. The film beautifully demonstrates its own point of view - love and meaningful relationships are what matter, whether between the same or the opposite sex. Jeremy Glazer and Chad Allen give fine performances as two men who have found their way to clean lifestyles but still need to be who they are and seek love with another human being.

The star, of course, is Light, who, deglamorized and with darker hair, bears NO resemblance to the elegant Mrs. Mead on "Ugly Betty." What a performance - and she's been giving great performances for 30 years. One hates her prejudice but realizes that it's born out of her own denial at the same time. Her husband's attempts to understand her, his loyalty to her, and his desire to help her, are very touching. But he doesn't feel as she does.

In "Save Me," we're shown that a place like Genesis has its good points - there's nothing wrong with getting off of drugs and booze and contributing to the community - but it needs to stop there. You can be gay without drugs, booze, and indiscriminate sex. You can also, as so well shown in the film, be gay and religious at the same time. No matter what anyone says, God doesn't discriminate.

Excellent cast, excellent script, excellent acting.

Author: musamusa
16 July 2012

After reading all the reviews, I started watching the first 10 minutes of this movie with an eyebrow raised. I wasn't sure what I was going to find, and I was afraid it was a clash of titans between god and gay and a constant confrontation between the factions, which is just more of the same stuff we've seen, but I was wrong.

Think of the dynamics between the opposites of this movie as the sand and the sea: while being separated entities, there's always something that remains in the sand when the sea pulls back, and there's something of sand in the sea when it retreats from it.

One of the greatest examples of a -very- clever direction work in LGBT filming. Kudos to the entire working group of director, writers, actors and photography team because they perfectly blend an intense story with a very detailed palette of grays with the characters and situations.