IMDb > What's Your Number? (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 4 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Good Date Movie, Better Than I Expected

Author: rcoss2001 (rcoss2001@yahoo.com) from Cleveland Heights, OH
8 October 2011

You will ask "Why have you rated this so high?" It's a non-thinker, right? Well, yes, mostly but it has a bit more depth than you'd expect. And it has Anna Faris, who I had never heard of - except I loved her animated character in 'Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs'. Never saw any of the "Scary Movie" series, nor "Brokeback Mountain". Nor did I watch "Friends".

Betsy and I went to see this movie Thursday after 'The Ides Of March' to "cleanse our palate" as Betsy put it. We wanted a light romantic comedy that fit into the right time slot for us, and this movie was one we hadn't seen but had seen the previews for. In a way it covers some of the same material as "Bridesmaids' (ptooey) and yet in a lighter, funnier non-disgusting manner. Anna plays Ally Darling, a woman who wakes to find she's been sleeping with another jerk, one of many. She then goes to work, only to be fired. On the way home she reads an article that say's the average woman has only had sex with 10.5 men-and those who have had sex with more than that are not likely to marry. Ally counts and finds she has 20 to her credit. OK, in the old days it would have been to her shame, but hey it's 2011. But her younger sister, Daisy, played by Ari Graynor, is getting married to a guy she (Daisy) had once dated, rejected, but now loves. Ally begins to think maybe she should search among her discards to see if she can find the right guy. Meanwhile she has to cope with her across-the-hall neighbor, Colin, played by Chris Evans.Colin is an unstinting womanizer who has no desire to commit. He also likes to pick up his daily paper naked. OK, so all this is a s predictable as can be. And there is a cast of okay to good supporting actors, including Blythe Danner as mama Darling, divorced from papa Darling, played by Ed Begley Jr. So why do I give it 4 stars instead of just 3? Anna's cute little posterior. Her naked, or nearly naked, butt is nearly everywhere in this movie. And she makes the most of her assets, moving and dancing about with great abandon, whether dancing, playing strip horse, or whatever else comes along. I have since learned she has several movies in which she bares it all. Now for you ladies who think I'm being sexist here, I must add you get to see a few men's tushes too. Captain America, oops, I mean Colin has a few bare buns to show, and while I'm not so inclined, I guess they are OK, at least by Betsy's standards. There also seems to be a fun chemistry between Faris and Evans. Both Betsy and I agree the movie was funnier and sweeter than 'Bridesmaids'. It's a good date movie for a date with someone you've been out with before. But it does have an 'R' rating for sexual content, language, and nudity. So if you're a 13 year old boy I give the same advice as I did 'The Creature'.

Some Clever Moments but Unrealistic

Author: Floated2
10 November 2013

Romantic comedy starring Anna Faris playing her typical character in this rather dull and unfunny film. There's a smart, funny, observant comedy- drama to be made about the role our romantic pasts play in determining our futures. Faris and Evans have frisky chemistry until a dire, endless third act separates them for the most arbitrary reasons. Both of them play their part well as it shows, however the rest of the cast suffer. When What's Your Number? works at all, it's a testament to the charm of Faris. She delivers a joyously unashamed performance in a flailing, sputtering rom-com that gives her and the rest of a supremely overqualified cast ample cause for embarrassment. Though many scenes could have been better as it became a bore watching the final product unveil. The trailers for this film made it seem like such a funny comedy but once watching the film, it was not that funny. A few chuckles but not much else to offer. Also predictability is very evident.

bad. bad. bad.

Author: dolanVI from Sweden
11 July 2013

In the beginning I thought that the ending would turn everything around and that the movie would question the silly obsession concerning women's amount of sexual partners. But no! The "happy ending" is that she figures out that she in fact has not slept with "too many". Maybe the purpose of this movie isn't to read too much in to it. But I still think that it is disgusting how it is fine for her male friend to sleep with as many as he likes (a new girl every night) but she becomes a whore if she does the same. Even her best friends tell that to her face. An ongoing issue in society! Have it on in the background maybe, but do not pay any money what so ever for this misogyny movie.

Not a bad chick flick!

Author: apb216 from United States
12 June 2013

I really like Anna Faris and I caught this on HBO the other day while channel surfing. I came in about halfway so I can't fully speak for the entire movie but I actually enjoyed it. It was a good chick flick to watch by myself while doing chores and it held my attention. I didn't fully agree with some of the things that were said about men, and that they don't want to date/marry a woman who has slept with over 20 men...because men get to sleep with lots of women and are basically praised for it, so who are they to judge what a woman has experienced? That just doesn't seem very real life to me.

Basically from what I saw, it was about a woman whose younger sister is getting married and she starts to worry that she won't find a guy in time and doesn't want to make the number of men she's slept with go higher than 20 to find him, so she asks a guy to help her track down the past 19 boyfriends and see if they are worth having another shot with. This is not meant to be a comedy gold mine, or a sappy love story. It was a tiny bit of both, and just the right amount for a movie you're not really taking seriously. It's a great movie to just watch on some down time and I really enjoyed it.

Chick flick

Author: Raul Faust from Joinville, Brazil
21 April 2012

Anna Faris plays a typical woman who has self problems because she slept with too many guys in her life. I know thousand of girls like her, and I really would like to understand why they're so concerned about it. Anna Faris, thought almost 13 years later, still looks much like Cindy Campbell. I know, she is over that phase, but many of her expressions still reminds me of the unforgettable (and dumb) Cindy. The story is pretty simple, and many girls in this world might feel just like her. Women usually think men only care about sex-- and many times, we really do. This plot is original, I don't remember seeing a movie with such subject. I just don't like that sometimes it gets so cliché; in the first 30 minutes we can already see that, in the end, Ally would marry Colin. Even the soundtrack is cliché, specially when it plays "Bizarre Love Triangle". But I have to admit it's strongly entertaining, mostly because of how funny Anna Faris can be. I wouldn't enjoy this picture if the main character wasn't her. All in all, "What's Your Number?" is a good movie, but ends up being cliché.

20 Times a Lady (book screenplay based on)

Author: DA Dailey (dadailey@yahoo.com) from United States
14 October 2011

It was such an unseasonably warm fall day that Teddy and I cooled down in the movie theater this afternoon. Well, there were no 3D glasses that fit Teddy and the others' synopses seemed too frightening.

We had choices of Lion King in 3D, Dolphin Tale in 3D, Dream House, Abduction, Loosefoot, Drive, and What's Your Number. In "What's Your Number", a young thirty-something woman played by Anna Faris (who incidentally will be hosting Saturday Night Live this weekend), having hit her limit at 20 partners, decides to track down the other 19 men in hopes that she's overlooked a guy who could be "the one" marrying kind.

Ally Darling (cute name) embarks on a quest to find the best "ex" of her life, by any means necessary (a sexually promiscuous neighbor played by Chris Evans agrees to be her private investigator), when she reads a Hearst magazine article warning that people who have had 20 or more relationships have already missed their chance at true love and will never get married.

I don't want to spoil the ending nor do I want to give it two thumbs up.

Great supporting parts were written for Ed Begley, Jr. and Blythe Danner.

What was impressive was the direction and choreography. The scenes of Boston were terrific! The only thing missing was an outing in Fenway Park. One scene had the Darling character outplaying her male private investigator at strip-horse in the Boston Garden after hours.

Cheap humor and a lot of sexism, YAY!

Author: Alex L. (myyyemail@yahoo.com) from Romania
15 December 2011

The movie's about this blond-hot-not-good-at-her-job girl type character that somehow get's it into her head that sleeping with more than 20 guys will ruin her chances of ever getting married or finding someone decent, so she tracks down the men she has slept with, to see if they've become better marriage material.

Now... I'm not even a girl and I'm sitting through this movie, watching about half way and I start getting annoyed... They portray her as this desperate, blindly stupid woman. Not to mention trying to make it sound like this 'sleep with more than 20 guys and you'll be ruined' statistic is based on something real. They go through all the usual classic teen movie steps, confused girl is... confused, handsome guy tries to help her, she doesn't see him as a potential partner at all, montage(using a few popular songs)... They should just stop the playback and write 'cliche' on the screen.

It's an alright movie if you want something to sleep through, or if you're fifteen.

Great rom-com!

Author: jdm100 from Los Angeles, CA
20 September 2011

Attended a screening of "What's Your Number" and the the movie I saw had the audience roaring with laughter. I was expecting to see a standard "Something Borrowed" / "The Proposal" / "How To Loose A Guy in 10 Days" type chick-flick comedy but instead saw a hilarious and surprisingly moving, really fresh film. Anna Faris is the next queen of romantic comedies. Her previous films have not let her shine like this one has. Chris Evans is charming and likable and totally HOT! Supporting cast was really good too. This will be a great date movie. "What's Your Number" is a well acted, well directed, well crafted, film that is far from cliché.

The ex-files

Author: Jackpollins from United States
13 October 2011

What's Your Number stars Anna Faris as Ally, a woman who's tracking down her exes, and Chris Evans as Colin, who's helping her track down her exes. These are two very talented and funny actors, and I was hoping for something amusing when these two were put together on screen. Without further ado, I have to say that What's Your Number is lowest common denominator garbage. The film has only reprehensible characters and only bad things to say about them. It's the type of movie where no one person can have a conversation without talking about some sort of sexual activity. Humorist Erma Bombeck once had a quote that went "There is a thin line that separates laughter and pain, comedy and tragedy, humor and hurt." Unfortunately, What's Your Number is only the latter. This film feels like it doesn't even care, and therefore doesn't even try to get any laughs, and it doesn't. Not one laugh is presented in this film, not one smile is earned in this film, and a lot of anger is deserved in this film. What's Your Number goes through the cliché cycles that every other romantic comedy has been through this year. What's the point to all of this? Why waste millions of dollars and talented people to just make the same old same old? Why do movies like this get green lit? These are all questions that should be asked from studios after having seen What's Your Number.

Great movie!!

Author: burmon321 from United States
22 September 2011

I saw this movie the other night when a friend invited me to the premiere. To tell you the truth, I wasn't really into the idea, since I am not your stereotypical "rom-com" fan - just an excuse to get dressed up. Well, to my surprise, this was not your stereotypical "rom-com"! It was smart, hilarious and very well crafted and thought out (my biggest problem with most of those big budget messes - they think we are stupid!). Anna Faris is so adorable and likable - and the ex-boyfriends were terrific! I found myself waiting to see who would be doing a cameo next - they were so well cast! Chris Evans was also so cute - I am a new fan!!

I am so sick of movies that claim to be set in a certain city - when you know they are shot in LA or Canada (in other words - on a set). This was obviously not the case with WYN. It really felt like Boston was another character in the movie - sort of like New York was in Sex and the City. Such beautiful shots of the city.

This was a terrific movie - hilarious and well done by all!!

Page 4 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]