IMDb > What's Your Number? (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
What's Your Number?

What's Your Number? More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 10: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]

What's your I.Q?

Author: Howlin Wolf from Oldham, Gtr Manchester, England.
19 December 2011

... The answer you give is a fairly reliable indicator of whether or not you will like this film.

After sitting patiently through 105 minutes of this film, I can't believe that its resolution has the audacity to claim that the outmoded initial premise actually MATTERS. It seems as though all I ever hear is that Hollywood is liberal, freethinking, and - according to some harbingers of doom - immoral. Well, certainly not in this case.

... I was expecting the ending to promote the idea that all that matters is finding the right person, and it doesn't matter how many false starts you have to make in order to get to them... but instead, the main relationship is given legitimacy because of a technicality, and she's STILL hung up on the number thing?! Ugh. How juvenile. Who cares how many people you have - or haven't - slept with. Is society as a whole really still that prescriptive?!

Faris and Evans are both likable, but the script does nothing at all to serve the chemistry between them.

Stereotypes, bad acting and sexual repression

Author: Geremias Correa from Brazil
28 November 2015

A film that tells the story of a girl reading a magazine article that says that 96% of women who had more than 20 sexual partners will not find a husband. The film starts to be very bad for having this issue, where in addition to catch a ridiculous stereotype of dumb blonde, played by Anna Faris, who seems to speak like a drunk the entire movie, is extremely predictable, especially in the relationship between her and Chris Evans.

The film is funny in some scenes, despite being a comedy with nothing more and differently, it's a common romantic comedy and stereotyped - and poorly made. The few funny scenes is what ensures even some laughs and your time to watch, but his rest is not worth their time, from scenes of failures, such as in apartment difference between at the end of the film, when all the film shows Anna Faris living in the penultimate floor of a building, in the final scene she appears on the top floor, jumping on the bed.

But the main theme is the same, in addition to not convince me, is very poorly chosen and produced. A film to be totally based on a girl who really believe that an article in a magazine that says she can not have sex with more than 20 guys, if you want to get married, is extremely ridiculous. And impose an ugly moral and judgmental, she really is ridiculous to take seriously the thought, as if it were a "bitch", that it seems the film tries to make the viewer think.

Concluding, the film yields a few laughs, but all their weak-themed, romantic comedy stereotypes and bad acting - especially Anna Faris - lead me to say that it is not worth spending your time with him.

Some Clever Moments but Unrealistic

Author: Floated2
10 November 2013

Romantic comedy starring Anna Faris playing her typical character in this rather dull and unfunny film. There's a smart, funny, observant comedy- drama to be made about the role our romantic pasts play in determining our futures. Faris and Evans have frisky chemistry until a dire, endless third act separates them for the most arbitrary reasons. Both of them play their part well as it shows, however the rest of the cast suffer. When What's Your Number? works at all, it's a testament to the charm of Faris. She delivers a joyously unashamed performance in a flailing, sputtering rom-com that gives her and the rest of a supremely overqualified cast ample cause for embarrassment. Though many scenes could have been better as it became a bore watching the final product unveil. The trailers for this film made it seem like such a funny comedy but once watching the film, it was not that funny. A few chuckles but not much else to offer. Also predictability is very evident.

Not a bad chick flick!

Author: apb216 from United States
12 June 2013

I really like Anna Faris and I caught this on HBO the other day while channel surfing. I came in about halfway so I can't fully speak for the entire movie but I actually enjoyed it. It was a good chick flick to watch by myself while doing chores and it held my attention. I didn't fully agree with some of the things that were said about men, and that they don't want to date/marry a woman who has slept with over 20 men...because men get to sleep with lots of women and are basically praised for it, so who are they to judge what a woman has experienced? That just doesn't seem very real life to me.

Basically from what I saw, it was about a woman whose younger sister is getting married and she starts to worry that she won't find a guy in time and doesn't want to make the number of men she's slept with go higher than 20 to find him, so she asks a guy to help her track down the past 19 boyfriends and see if they are worth having another shot with. This is not meant to be a comedy gold mine, or a sappy love story. It was a tiny bit of both, and just the right amount for a movie you're not really taking seriously. It's a great movie to just watch on some down time and I really enjoyed it.

Chick flick

Author: Raul Faust from Joinville, Brazil
21 April 2012

Anna Faris plays a typical woman who has self problems because she slept with too many guys in her life. I know thousand of girls like her, and I really would like to understand why they're so concerned about it. Anna Faris, thought almost 13 years later, still looks much like Cindy Campbell. I know, she is over that phase, but many of her expressions still reminds me of the unforgettable (and dumb) Cindy. The story is pretty simple, and many girls in this world might feel just like her. Women usually think men only care about sex-- and many times, we really do. This plot is original, I don't remember seeing a movie with such subject. I just don't like that sometimes it gets so cliché; in the first 30 minutes we can already see that, in the end, Ally would marry Colin. Even the soundtrack is cliché, specially when it plays "Bizarre Love Triangle". But I have to admit it's strongly entertaining, mostly because of how funny Anna Faris can be. I wouldn't enjoy this picture if the main character wasn't her. All in all, "What's Your Number?" is a good movie, but ends up being cliché.

20 Times a Lady (book screenplay based on)

Author: DA Dailey (dadailey@yahoo.com) from United States
14 October 2011

It was such an unseasonably warm fall day that Teddy and I cooled down in the movie theater this afternoon. Well, there were no 3D glasses that fit Teddy and the others' synopses seemed too frightening.

We had choices of Lion King in 3D, Dolphin Tale in 3D, Dream House, Abduction, Loosefoot, Drive, and What's Your Number. In "What's Your Number", a young thirty-something woman played by Anna Faris (who incidentally will be hosting Saturday Night Live this weekend), having hit her limit at 20 partners, decides to track down the other 19 men in hopes that she's overlooked a guy who could be "the one" marrying kind.

Ally Darling (cute name) embarks on a quest to find the best "ex" of her life, by any means necessary (a sexually promiscuous neighbor played by Chris Evans agrees to be her private investigator), when she reads a Hearst magazine article warning that people who have had 20 or more relationships have already missed their chance at true love and will never get married.

I don't want to spoil the ending nor do I want to give it two thumbs up.

Great supporting parts were written for Ed Begley, Jr. and Blythe Danner.

What was impressive was the direction and choreography. The scenes of Boston were terrific! The only thing missing was an outing in Fenway Park. One scene had the Darling character outplaying her male private investigator at strip-horse in the Boston Garden after hours.

Cheap humor and a lot of sexism, YAY!

Author: Alex L. (myyyemail@yahoo.com) from Romania
15 December 2011

The movie's about this blond-hot-not-good-at-her-job girl type character that somehow get's it into her head that sleeping with more than 20 guys will ruin her chances of ever getting married or finding someone decent, so she tracks down the men she has slept with, to see if they've become better marriage material.

Now... I'm not even a girl and I'm sitting through this movie, watching about half way and I start getting annoyed... They portray her as this desperate, blindly stupid woman. Not to mention trying to make it sound like this 'sleep with more than 20 guys and you'll be ruined' statistic is based on something real. They go through all the usual classic teen movie steps, confused girl is... confused, handsome guy tries to help her, she doesn't see him as a potential partner at all, montage(using a few popular songs)... They should just stop the playback and write 'cliche' on the screen.

It's an alright movie if you want something to sleep through, or if you're fifteen.

The ex-files

Author: Jackpollins from United States
13 October 2011

What's Your Number stars Anna Faris as Ally, a woman who's tracking down her exes, and Chris Evans as Colin, who's helping her track down her exes. These are two very talented and funny actors, and I was hoping for something amusing when these two were put together on screen. Without further ado, I have to say that What's Your Number is lowest common denominator garbage. The film has only reprehensible characters and only bad things to say about them. It's the type of movie where no one person can have a conversation without talking about some sort of sexual activity. Humorist Erma Bombeck once had a quote that went "There is a thin line that separates laughter and pain, comedy and tragedy, humor and hurt." Unfortunately, What's Your Number is only the latter. This film feels like it doesn't even care, and therefore doesn't even try to get any laughs, and it doesn't. Not one laugh is presented in this film, not one smile is earned in this film, and a lot of anger is deserved in this film. What's Your Number goes through the cliché cycles that every other romantic comedy has been through this year. What's the point to all of this? Why waste millions of dollars and talented people to just make the same old same old? Why do movies like this get green lit? These are all questions that should be asked from studios after having seen What's Your Number.

Great movie!!

Author: burmon321 from United States
22 September 2011

I saw this movie the other night when a friend invited me to the premiere. To tell you the truth, I wasn't really into the idea, since I am not your stereotypical "rom-com" fan - just an excuse to get dressed up. Well, to my surprise, this was not your stereotypical "rom-com"! It was smart, hilarious and very well crafted and thought out (my biggest problem with most of those big budget messes - they think we are stupid!). Anna Faris is so adorable and likable - and the ex-boyfriends were terrific! I found myself waiting to see who would be doing a cameo next - they were so well cast! Chris Evans was also so cute - I am a new fan!!

I am so sick of movies that claim to be set in a certain city - when you know they are shot in LA or Canada (in other words - on a set). This was obviously not the case with WYN. It really felt like Boston was another character in the movie - sort of like New York was in Sex and the City. Such beautiful shots of the city.

This was a terrific movie - hilarious and well done by all!!

Meh

Author: mariondowning-427-469344 from America
1 June 2017

So the female reads a story in a magazine (always a credible source of research there) that tells her she won't be likely to get married if she's slept with more than 20 guys. So she tries to get married to one of the former guys she slept with for the sake of making it in under 21. Yet, the guy she ends up with slept with 300+ women before her and he's a great guy? Another movie telling women they're the s word if they sleep around, and it's OK for guys to do it.

Page 4 of 10: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [Next]