IMDb > What's Your Number? (2011) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
What's Your Number?

What's Your Number? More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Finally a romantic comedy for all

Author: AaronAshton from United States
21 September 2011

My girlfriend got invited to a screening of this movie and though I tried to wiggle my way out of it, I was trapped into going. Walking into the theater with the worst possible predisposition, I have to admit I left smiling.

Men will immediately sympathize with the Chris Evans character: Slacker/musician/womanizer. Not the classic perfect catch man of these type of movies, which is breath of fresh air. I am not particularly fond of Farris, but she was another pleasant surprise. She makes her character very likable and though pursuing a completely ridiculous task she is absolutely relatable. Excellent character development by both, we see them grow and change and their on screen chemistry is just right. The reason I think the movie is perfect for all is that it has the right amount of romantic elements, mixed with a fair amount of raunchy and naked butts to keep everyone laughing. Not once during this movie did I feel it was falling into a sappy whole, and trust me I am the first one to stick two fingers down his throat when that happens (sorry for the image).

This movie definitely brakes the mold of Romantic Comedy, hopefully this is the direction they will take in the future. Let's make one thing clear: If you go see "What's your number?" be ready to laugh, be entertained and have a fun time. Don't expect "The Godfather", cause it ain't.

I'm not much of a review writer but there's something bugging me and I want to get it out. As a person who works in the film industry, I am particularly offended by the comment left below. You can like or dislike a movie for many reasons, obviously nobody has the definite truth. However, these folks create, develop, and put their names out there just to entertain you. You chose to stay behind your computer screen and criticize their work (poorly, I might add). Guess who's the coward?

pleasantly surprised

Author: susiequeue11 from United States
21 September 2011

a friend invited me to a screening of What's Your Number the other night and i went, but thought it was going to be lame. It wasn't! the trailer is so bad - why is it so bad? but the movie is funny! i swear, there are parts that are still making me chuckle days later.

Anna Faris is darling. Chris Evans not as boring as you think he's going to be - he's actually quite charming. (and his body is sick, but that's beside the point.) They have good chemistry and the banter between them is hysterical. they say the things that you think and would never dare to say out loud, which made me laugh and laugh. some people might find that offensive, like my mom, but i'm not recommending this movie to her.

i am recommending it to my girlfriends though. i see a lot of movies and this is waaay better than that No Strings Attached or horrible Justin Timberlake rom-com. this one is cute and has some really funny lines.

also - it's a fun shopping movie. i covet her apartment, i want to go to Boston in springtime, and it made me want to dig up some of my 80's music. is it winning an Oscar? no, but it's cute. i don't think you'll be disappointed.

The Best Movie Katherine Heigl Never Made

Author: Brent Trafton from Long Beach, CA
2 October 2011

"What's Your Number?" follows the standard Rom-Com formula as all the other Katherine Heigl or Jennifer Aniston movies that came before it. The only difference is this one is actually funny and has a bunch of laugh out loud jokes.

The reason this film is so much better than the other R-rated Rom-Com's is that Anna Faris is a true comedienne and is not afraid to show a little butt-cheek to get a laugh. She is essentially the whole reason to see this film.

Chris Evans, Blythe Danner, and Ed Begley Jr. make up the fine supporting cast. The jokes are mostly foul, crude, and unsophisticated but the audience at my showing was laughing throughout most of the film. The ending gets saccharine and sentimental at the end, but most of these types of films do that.

If you have felt cheated by the films of Jennifer Aniston and Katherine Heigl, you should check out "What's Your Number?"

Got Anna Faris' Number!

Author: pturner1010 from bracknell
26 September 2011

Do you looooooove Rom-Coms? Do you looooooove Anna Faris? If the answer is yes to either, then you can add at least another star or two to this rating.

For me, rom-coms are just too damn predictable and therefore never going to get above a six rating (unless you're talking unconventional genre spasms like 500 Days of Summer).

However taking into account I don't like rom-coms, this is the highest rating one of these films will get from me. Anna Faris is extremely likable as ever and Chris Evans is very funny and probably a perfect specimen of man in the eyes of many an audience member.

Watch the trailer and you'll know how it ends but the journey provides the kind of rude laughs and romantic moments in iconic locations that are becoming ever more familiar in the modern rom-com.

Like the recent Friends With Benefits (not bad) and the hilarious Bridesmaids, What's Your Number? is ruder and funnier than many older rom-coms with hand-job jokes, potty-mouthed dialogue and a female character who is liberated, crude and played by a star who is definitely not too shy or vain to embarrass herself.

As Faris' character searches for the perfect man among her twenty ex-lovers, cameos from Martin Freeman and Andy Samberg maintain interest but it's Faris and Evans that provide the real laughs and chemistry.

Nothing new if you're not a rom-com fan but ticks all the boxes for the target audience and keeps the genre headed in a dirtier direction.

Eye Candy

Author: gradyharp from United States
12 February 2012

WHAT'S YOU NUMBER? is a flimsy bit of fluff based on the novel '20 Times A Lady' by Karen Bosnak and transformed for the screen by Gabrielle Allan and Jennifer Crittenden. It is a very light comedy that has some observations about today's dating/quasi-relationship scene, but those impressions are a bit too true to be funny, so it is best to just concentrate on the film as a diversion of the kick back, put feet up, and giggle along with it genre.

Ally Darling (!) (Anna Faris) has a history of having many ex-boy connections who turned out to be losers. Reading an article that offers number amounts for judging sexual encounters (Ally has exceeded the norm) she freaks and believes that she can't find THE good guy. Deciding to reevaluate her ex-encounters searching for Mr Right, she decides to look up all of her exs to see if any of them have changed for the better. Finding this task daunting she turns to her apartment neighbor Colin Shea (Chris Evans), a would-be musician who sleeps with women every night and sneaks out the morning after to avoid relating to them, to act as her detective. The rest is a contrived series of ups and downs of the manhunt that has few qualified candidates. And the end is predictable.

For once Anna Faris has snagged a role that shows her talent (and fingernails-on-the- blackboard voice) and she looks terrific. But the biggest treat in the film is Chris Evans appearing in the buff often enough to keep the movie on: not only does he enjoy his Adonis body but he seems happy allowing it to buff up an otherwise routine comedy part. There is another attraction in the wings - Oliver Jackson-Cohen - who seems to have a future in film. Tuck in the always reliable Blythe Danner and Ed Begley, Jr and this is a cast worth an evening's outing. But the treat on top of the confection is the eye candy generously shared by Chris Evans.

Grady Harp

What's your number? Probably higher than the score for this film

Author: bennington13 from London, England
3 October 2011

I'll be honest. This was the least challenging movie showing at the cinema that didn't involve 3D sharks, hence its appeal. In a nutshell, Anna Faris vows not to sleep with anyone else unless he's 'The One' after learning (via the ever reliable medium of the woman's mag) that 96% of women with more than 20 ex-partners are unable to find husbands - I don't deny that it's cinematic candy floss. Unfortunately, even with expectations thus lowered, What's Your Number? still isn't premier league viewing. It's a shame really - Anna Faris and Chris Evans are a likable (and immensely buff) central couple, which makes them easy to root for/drool over. However, the film itself is merely a sequence of plot devices, some of which work, more of which don't. It's a terrible waste - few actresses have as much comic potential and willingness to make an ass of themselves as Faris. Even the open comedy goal of Faris re-visiting her exes is wasted - despite some promisingly perverse material, numerous cameos (including Martin Freeman, and a finger sniffing Joel McHale) are fluffed or wasted. The only positive is that the unmemorable male characters leave Blythe Danner clutching the best supporting actor role (as Faris' demonically elegant mother) by default. As for Evans, while he is effectively rehashing previous roles, most notably The Human Torch, as a cocky but lovable man ho', he (and his magnificent abs) are still worth the price of entry. Plus the basketball scene is probably the sexiest thing involving one ball that you'll see in a cineplex this year. Unfortunately, despite a plausible premise (rare is the woman that hasn't questioned everything about her existence after reading an article in a lifestyle magazine), the film sags. I wasn't expecting an exhaustive treatise on feminism, but What's Your Number? doesn't even acknowledge the irony of a woman 'taking control' of her life on the basis of a single spurious statistic in a Marie Claire article, or the flagrant double standard at play as Faris' character freaks out about her number - a number easily surpassed by her male neighbour. Such omissions push the film beyond light and fluffy, and into outright vacuous territory instead. Sub plots come and go without arousing much interest, the insurmountable obstacle and various declarations of love are extremely contrived (yes, even for a rom com), and then there's the perennial question of how two penniless people can afford such magnificent apartments (I rent a hovel at vast expense, so naturally it bothers me). In short, there were better rom coms released in 2011 and unless you've already seen them, you should probably save this one for a rainy Sunday evening.

469th Review: Solid Rom-Com - liked it a lot

Author: intelearts from the big screen
22 December 2011

What's Your Number simply is better than most rom-coms. It's a lot of fun, and puts some sizzle into the shizzle by giving it a little bit more sexyback than most. It's saved by two cute lead performances, a solid script, and a nod to the world that life ain't the 1950s anymore.

We really enjoyed this - it has a lot of heart, some genuine laughs, nothing too crude, it's sassy, even sexy, without being anything dangerous, and it's main plot device - what if you could go back and meet all your Exes - is one that has to ring true with a wide swathe of people.

All in all, if you like rom-coms then this is going to be exactly what you like; it makes you feel romantic, like true love is possible, and does so without being either prissy or crude; and it scores points for pointing out what really matters in life.... all in all a fun outing that both the heart and the mind can enjoy.

What's your angle?

Author: kosmasp
3 April 2012

I know I shouldn't have liked or enjoyed it. Especially because I'm not really a big fan of Anna Faris (as an actress that is). But you can't fault her in this one. She really gets the most of many scenes (as stupid as they seem and feel like). And while this isn't really something that should be accounted for (as a positive), it really is nice, that it does not pull any punches (talking about the R-rating, although there is a longer cut to be released later on).

Of course you know where this is heading and while the ending again might fall short of all the swagger that has come up to that point it still feels like a nice comedy. Or should I say "raunchy" instead of nice? But both words fit the bill here. Both lead actors are obviously having fun and it translates and really transcends to the viewer. Not comedy gold, but entertaining enough

Romantic comedy with a pinch of extra topping...

Author: Paul Magne Haakonsen from Denmark
26 December 2011

For a typical romantic comedy, "What's Your Number" sort of surprised me, as it was just a tad more than your average movie of this sort.

What initially made me watch it was Anna Faris (playing Ally), because she usually makes funny comedies, and I have always found her acting to be enjoyable, and her selection of characters is usually great as well. Her performance in "What's Your Number", however, wasn't her best performance in her career, in my opinion. It wasn't bad either, it was just that she are better off in straight comedies in my opinion, not these romantic comedies. But hey, we all have different likes and dislikes.

Working with Farris was Chris Evans (playing Collin), whom I can't claim to be a big fan of. I think I have only seen him in the previous couple of superhero movies that he did. And I think he was better cut out for action movies of that sort compared to the romantic comedies. I will say that Farris and Evans did have a certain good amount of on-screen chemistry that worked out well enough.

As for the story in "What's Your Number", well it is basically your average standard run-of-the-mill plot line here. An unlikely couple starting out as strangers, then eventually becoming closer and closer, until they realize that the right one was right there in front of them all along. So nothing new to be seen here in that department. The plot did thicken with the layer added when the story was given the part with how many sexual partners does a woman have in her lifetime. That aspect was kind of fun and did add some pretty awkward situations here and there.

For a comedy, there wasn't all that many laughs throughout this movie. The best scene, and the best laugh (for me), was the very last phone call that Ally got while they were in the apartment. That cracked me up.

"What's Your Number" isn't a boring movie, and it does have some more substance compared to other romantic comedies. However, I think you have to be a woman to fully appreciate this movie. As a guy, I can now say that I have seen it, and it is doubtful that I will be putting the movie on a second time, unless wifey wants to watch it again.

A Nutshell Review: What's Your Number

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
8 October 2011

I wonder if any girl out there really do sneak off from the bed to the bathroom to freshen up, before their partner wakes up to see them in a state sans hair all over the place, morning breath and probably a drool hanging off somewhere. At least it's something that's worth putting on film, in both Bridesmaid and What's Your Number, where the protagonist does just that to impress I suppose. Maybe everyone does it and it's life's greatest secret that I'm oblivious to.

While Bridesmaid was a sleeper hit with a cast of relative unknowns on the big screen, What's Your Number is that typical romantic comedy where you can safely bet your entire fortune on the nice little outcome of an ending, and just about how girl meets boy and they fall in love inevitably in the shortest time span possible where the stars align for everything magical to happen. What's probably unique here is that the lead characters are both promiscuous, with Anna Faris' Ally sleeping with at least 19 men in her life so far, and finding that her lack of a love life and with random lovers every now and then going way over the national average of 10.5, the magic figure an average American woman dates before finally settling down. Fearful of being labelled a slut after a straw poll conducted with her soon-to-be-married sister Daisy (Ari Graynor) and friends, she's taking a vow of celibacy and is determined to make the next person she sleeps with, her husband.

Chris Evans' Colin is her next door neighbour whom she enlists her from in tracking down her exes, since there could be someone from her past who would have made it good, and better yet, doing so doesn't increase her number of men she slept with, which provides plenty of comical flashbacks providing Anna Faris an opportunity to ham it up, together with a select group of supporting characters, some of whom are completely different from the time she once knew them, while others will make you wonder just what she saw in them, ranging from support acts by the likes of Martin Freeman, Andy Samberg, Anthony Mackie and even Zachary Quinto amongst others. Ally strikes a win-win deal with Colin, centered around being able to hideout at her apartment so that he doesn't have to deal in the aftermath of his one night stands, making a clean exit and sending a signal to his flings it's all over. Talk about a mutually beneficial relationship that you know will head somewhere between the two.

And if the film works, which it does, it boils down to two words. Anna Faris. She's building a career based upon ditzy characters, and frankly she's finding a knack at hitting on all the right places and delivering punchlines without missing a beat, and having what it takes to take on physical, slapstick comedy without looking too dorky, nor embarrassed with the need to dabble in toilet humour. It's watching a quintessential comedian going through her repertoire of tricks that on one hand you've seen most before, yet still eagerly anticipating more from the performer to deliver her routine once more. Evans was wonderful as her co- star and the strip-basketball date was something that could raise temperatures, allowing the actor to continuously show off in this film his Captain America buffed up physique that will either make you drool at, or look on with envy.

For all the glossy fashion rags teaching women how to lead their lives, perhaps this movie says it best with the aged old message of happiness being able to be oneself, instead of living up to expectations set by others, be it friends or family, and to find someone who will accept you for who you are, and not what you have to try to be. Which is very frequent in Ally's life as the various man-hunt episodes reveal, where she has to learn to cook, speak with an accent, and so on. And it's true how miserable one will be in the long run, despite short termed bliss, if one can call it as that.

I was half expecting a wicked twist to happen at the final act since there's an elusive Jake Adams (Dave Annable) that Ally is desperately looking for which Colin constantly runs into zilch in his findings, and what played out was pretty straightforward, and careful as well since it took some pains to explicitly address a plot loophole that you'll forgive it for since that will spell some anti-climatic finale. But as I said, what held the movie together is Anna Faris as the one woman tour de force playing to her strengths in a typical stereotyped role, and the very easy on screen chemistry shared with Chris Evans. Definitely a date-movie any couple can consider.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]