IMDb > "Drive" (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Drive" More at IMDbPro »

A Thrilling Ride Brought to an Unexpected Halt

Author: BernettaThorneWilliams from United States
7 May 2007

Drive had the potential to be a top rated television show. It was not given the time to develop an audience. The writing was superb and the cast performances were simply outstanding. If given more than three weeks to garner fan support, Drive could have proved itself to be the next 24 or House. Television executives are too quick to cancel a show after only a few episodes. Television programs need time to develop a fan base which is often generated by word of mouth buzz. I had spoken with several co-workers about the show and had them eagerly awaiting the next installment of the action packed road sage. Fox, you simple made a mistake by not allowing Drive to rev up your otherwise lagging ratings. NBC made the same mistake with Jag which went on to be a hug success for CBS. NBC also made the came mistake with Fame which Fox, you had the great sense to pick up and the rest was history. I can only hope that Drive will find a new home on a network that is willing to give the show the opportunity to prove what it is made of. As a fan I found it frustrating to invest in a show only to have the plug pulled prematurely. If Fox just had to get rid of something, how about the sagging and long overdue departure of The Simpson's.

One Hell Of A Show

Author: jayshock89 from United States
16 April 2007

Man this show kicks ass. It caught my eyes ever since the first trailer aired, and after the two episodes, I can say for sure that I'm hooked.

The camera work is great, shots from everywhere adds to the intensity of the experience. I heard from somewhere that all the driving were done in front of green screen, but so far, that has been undetectable.

The diverse characters are also brilliant. from the tough Alex, to the vengeful Winston, and the innocent Wendy as well as the sinister Mr.Bright.

Overall, the show is fast-paced, engaging, and leaves viewers dazzled. The great car chases, to the secret organization, to the differrent character story lines, and the clue in each episode all adds up to a great show all around.

I just hope it doesn't get canceled like all the other great FOX shows.

so many cool actors

Author: SnoopyStyle
23 August 2013

Various people participate in an illegal cross-country car race. Some are forced while the rest are after the large prize money.

It's amazing to see so many cool actors in this show. It has Nathan Fillion and incredibly an unknown Emma Stone. That's one of its problems. There are just too many characters. It'd be a lot better to concentrate on one character and much less on everybody else. As a concept, this is fine but it gets tangled up in everybody's problems. It was a summer replacement and quickly canceled. They shot only seven episodes. It never had a chance. It was probably just as well that it was canceled.

A show I actually watch! Also how to still watch it!

Author: frid_n_nedley-1 from United States
28 April 2007

I admit, I'm not a usual TV viewer. My TV is for my PS2, X-Box, and a large DVD collection. I don't have cable, and only regularly watch The Simpsons on TV.

I only saw 2 ads for Drive, and had no interest in the show from them. It just didn't look interesting, though I hoped it would keep giving Nathan Fillion work, he's the kind of actor who just makes things better by being in them. Then I had to visit my family and ended up watching the Sunday premier. And I was hooked from the beginning.

It's not a highly realistic show. And the jokes about the mountains in Florida are easy, but I wanted to watch more. I wanted to know more about the characters, their motivations, and how the race was progressing. In short, I became a fan. Everyone I showed the show to has also become a fan, watched every episode, and wants more. It's the only new show I've really had any interest in this season, and I only saw it by accident (I think this may have more to say about the marketing department on FOX.) This is my kind of "mindless" entertainment, a show with tons of stuff to follow and keep track of, but a plot that is a little unbelievable in itself.

New part of the comment! Since writing this the show has been pulled. Sad. Most fans like to compare it to the treatment Fox gave Firefly. Fox seems determined to build on this rumor by holding the final episodes to show 3 months after it's cancellation, on the 4TH OF JULY, from 8 to 10 PM. In short, it's a throw away time where no one will be watching. I think FOX badly misplayed this hand, and took what could have been a OK show in the ratings into a loss.

This show was not as good as Firefly, I'll say that. But I really liked this show. They did both suffered the same basic treatment from Fox. The ad campaign failed to create much interest in the show, with many people who watch it later saying they had no idea what it was about. About 10 minutes after the premier wasn't the best show of the night they began to prepare for the pull. Also the very short time before moving the show to a time even fans would have a problem following.

Sad but true, shows like Drive, Firefly, and others like them are expensive to make compared to Game Shows, Reality shows, and 3 camera Comedies.

Also to those who haven't seen it yet. Go to www.Fox.com and check the Drive page, you can see all 4 episodes there!

A good promise...

Author: KAYOWAS from Romania
15 April 2007

This show brings a lot of promise and moments of simple good fun.I just saw the first two episodes and the special effects look nice,the soundtrack is awesome,scenario-decent.The cast is well picked.Nathan Fillion fits the bill very good as a leading man.''Drive'' is now a 8/10 for me.But like I said,it has its deal of promise and may become a truly great show if they don't spoil with the story.My concern is the rather very evasive storyline in what concerns the people behind ''The Race''.I don't hurry to judge considering I only saw two episodes.The cars are very well chosen and there is nothing very ''fast&furious'' scifi rocket things in them.The firebird is a kick-ass ride and so is the low-rider.I like Fillion's truck which seems to be as powerful as a dodge charger even though is rusty piece of junk!:)

Not Enough Time to Develop!

Author: ShelbyTMItchell from Seymour Tennessee
1 May 2013

The show had a lot to thrive on and a lot of potential but it really fell through as it had a pre-stardom Emma Stone and a pre-Castle Nathan Fillion as the show just really lacked so much depth and storyline as the show just kept on dragging.

All the show just needed depth and that it lacked charm. Those are two of the ingredients you need to make a show as one reviewer said, another network did not pick it up. Like NBC dumped JAG and guess what, CBS helped it to thrive! Just an example.

The show shows about a race and if you win the race, you win so much money. But also people that need to do it for personal reasons. Like Fillion's character's wife is kidnapped and needs the money to set her free. Is a prime example.

Who knows what could had been just enough time to develop.

A thrill ride that constantly accelerates and never brakes!

Author: AfroThunder242 from United States
23 April 2007

When I first heard about this show I was very skeptical, but then I started warming up to it. I watched the premier and was completely blown away! The characters are introduced in the first 10 minutes and the show kicks off into overdrive! As the plot thickens we learn why other characters are racing. The clues are very intriguing as well as the character development. I normally don't re-watch premiers but I just couldn't help it with this one. This is the most suspenseful show to premier since 24, and the fact that it airs just before it makes Monday nights even sweeter! I seriously hope Fox holds onto this show like they have with 24. I cannot wait for the DVD. More so, I can't wait for the next episode!

Don't Miss This

Author: lmahayni from Eugene, Oregon
14 April 2007

The premier was excellent. Usually, I hate premiers; or at least don't go back and watch them if I can help it. They tend to have too much exposition for my taste. No problem, here. "Drive" was entertaining, and intense, and it fed me just enough information to keep me hopping from one character to the next, wondering if I'd ever decide on a favorite. I was thoroughly expecting to like Alex Tully (Nathan Fillion); but I'm already drawn in by at least 4 other characters. Up here (BC), the station that airs it also shows "Amazing Race" which invites comparison. I'd say the comparison is quite favorable. They hit the same tone and each does things and goes places the other can't.

I recorded the 2 episode premier of "Drive" for a friend who couldn't watch it last night and couldn't resist watching it a second time, myself.

When I first heard the concept, I doubted even Tim Minear could pull it off; but the first two episodes are a home run. I can't wait to see the next one.

great movie

Author: oronara from Israel
4 May 2007

I just hope it doesn't get canceled like all the other great FOX shows.

Now we are rolling!!!

Author: acu761 from United States
24 April 2007

Fresh new series! Not CSI or Law and Order Clone (finally). I watched the two hour premier and was nicely surprised. Then the next two episode really took off. The show kinda spins it's tires (forgive the pun) and then really hits you with a shocking scene or plot twist. Episode 4's car crash really catches you off guard. It should also be noted that this series has two main characters and a bunch of supporting actors. the two main ones being Nathan Fillion and his Dodge Challenger. Everyone else is just there to take up time and support the afore mentioned main characters. Very nicely down new series. I'll be tuning in weekly!