IMDb > "Perfect Strangers" Bye Bye Biki (1988) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"Perfect Strangers" Bye Bye Biki (1988)

« Prev | 51 of 151 Episodes | Next »

Saddest episode, but well done

Author: Susan1173 from United States
13 November 2008

Originally I found it odd at the beginning that Balki seemed to have forgotten how to dress himself, but by the end of the show I realized that was probably done to throw in a little extra humor to offset the serious tone of most of the episode. It was unusual to see such a sad episode of this show. One of very few to end on a sad note, it was really the only one where we really can't dismiss the sadness as something to get over eventually. Unlike "Falling in Love Is..."(which I felt was the saddest episode up until this one) where you know Balki will eventually get over it and fall in love again, you do not ever really get over the death of a loved one, you only learn to live with it.

I feel this episode really gave both Mark-Linn Baker and Bronson Pinchot an excellent opportunity to display their ability for drama as well as comedy. Bronson does an especially good job here of going from one to the other in an instant. Balki's "conversation" with Yaya Biki, where we learn she was the one who inspired him to follow his dreams and come to America, was very touching. Larry got to display a somewhat softer side than we usually see, with his heartfelt concern for his cousin.

All in all, a very good episode, but just be prepared for a lot less humor and happiness than the typical episode.