"The Simpsons" The War of the Simpsons (1991)

« Prev | 33 of 619 Episodes | Next »

Solid Episode!

Author: g-bodyl from United States
2 May 2014

The twentieth episode in the second season of the Simpsons is a fairly good one that has some amusing moments. It's another one of those episodes where the marriage of Homer and Marge seems to be in disarray and we seem to be getting many of these episodes in the first two seasons. But nonetheless, this was a solid and funny episode.

In this episode, "The War of the Simpsons," Homer embarrasses Marge at a party so they head off to a mountain retreat with Reverend Lovejoy for couples counseling. Much to the anger of Marge, Homer decides to go fishing to capture the legendary General Sherman. Meanwhile, Bart and Lisa throws a huge party while under the care of Grampa.

Overall, this is a solid episode. I loved the interaction between Homer and the fish, Sherman. Definitely the best part of this episode. I rate this episode 9/10.

General Sherman, McBain, LOL moments - petrol tank, deeper meaning, uplifting ending

Author: Parker Lewis from United States
13 September 2016

This was one of the episodes at the end of season 2, and was part of a string of episodes that would define The Simpsons as a touchstone of our American society and culture, and beyond.

So many trademark Simpsons moments. McBain making an appearance "Bye book" he deadpans, love it!! McBain is the man! Lisa being the decent one compared to Bart, when he runs amok with his own party at home. Also the New Yorker reference was funny when Homer thought he was being witty at the family party.

The primary plot is Margie seeking to save her marriage after a dinner party gone wrong where Homer had a few too much to drink after Ned, who has a PhD in mixology, started serving drinks. Related is Homer's goal to catch General Sherman, a 500 pound catfish. Homer redeems himself at the end by demonstrating to Marge that he believes in his marriage by tossing General Sherman back in the lake. I loved the denouement when the regular patrons at the general store lauded Homer, 7 feet tall, arms like tree trunks, shock of hair, red like the fires of hell.

I wonder how today's generation feel about the season 2 episodes, but still, they must watch them!