IMDb > Escape from Planet Earth (2013) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Average, but entertaining

Author: bclaver1 from United States
18 February 2013

I took my 9yo and 7yo to see it while a friend of mine with a 5yo did not want to expose her child to a PG movie. Honestly, Tom & Jerry, Road Runner, and Popeye cartoons are 10x more violent than this. It easily could have been G rated. The violence was very mild. The movie was pretty good with some funny parts but many references will go over most kids heads while parents will laugh (do any children under 10yo know what "Area 51" refers to??) I would recommend saving yourself money by staying away from the 3D version of this movie. The first comment from my 7yo after the movie was, "there wasn't much 3D" and she was absolutely right. There were some, but by the middle of the movie, you don't notice it. Movie has a pretty good story line. Not a great movie, but not bad either. Good movie to see on a rainy weekend or day off of school.

Escape from Planet Earth — Colorful animation and aliens for kids or simple entertainment

Author: Avid Climber from Montreal, Canada
14 March 2013

Escape from Planet Earth is a good movie for kids. It's funny, and colorful. However, do not think that it's bringing anything new to the table. It's nice entertainment, without any real disappointment, but it's a light meal.

It's real and only strength lies in the slick and extremely colorful graphics. they have their own style and there's not denying the appeal or the design of the alien home world.

The rest is merely acceptable. The story is linear, the scenario unimaginative, and the dialogs simple.

I liked it because it was fun, but don't expect much out of it and you won't be disappointed.

Good animation, but the humor overdoes itself.

Author: DarkVulcan29 (DarkVulcan29@aol.com) from United States
20 February 2013

Blue alien named Scorch(Brendan Fraser) is quite the thrill seeker, every time he goes on a mission. With his brother Gary(Rob Corddry) who is behind the controls guiding him on the missions, Gary is not a thrill seeker like his brother, they are from the planet BAAB. Scorch gets a new mission, to go the forbidden planet AKA Earth. Gary refuses to go along with it. Cause he is tired of being in his brothers shadow. When Scorch gets captured when he does arrive on earth, it's up to Gary to rescue him, but will he?

The animation is almost up there with Wreck It Ralph. The jokes seem run themselves into the ground. Most of the time instead of trying to have a story, I feel it was going more for satire. Not that it was terrible, but not has good as Monters Vs Aliens(2009). Brendan Fraser and Rob Corddry are alright in voice casting.

Excellent cartoon!

Author: DEBI BROWN from United States
18 February 2013

We took our ten year old, and as always, enjoyed a movie made for kids with enough entertainment thrown in for adults. It appears that kids and parents go through the same things, regardless of the planet. Found myself laughing most of the way through, especially when my boyfriend leaned over and said 'you know this is a movie for kids, right?' I guess I'm a kid at heart and this movie was very enjoyable. Loved seeing who played which characters at the end. I only recognized one during the film, but was pleasantly surprised by the rest! Maybe it was the holiday, but our theater was packed, and everyone seemed to walk away having enjoyed the show.

Author: Steve Pulaski from United States
24 February 2013

Escape from Planet Earth is the theatrical debut from a little studio called Rainmaker Entertainment, and shows a tad more promise than the wealth of uninspired animated sequels such as Ice Age: Continental Drift that families have been forced to sit through this past summer. It concerns a place called Planet Baab, where a pair of brothers named Gary and Scorch Supernova (voiced by Rob Corddry and Brendan Fraser, respectively) work for a space program. Gary is the head of mission control, frequently pressing buttons and maintaining different technical jobs, while Scorch has the luxury of experiencing everything firsthand given his role as the astronaut. One day, Gary gets tired of Scorch's carelessness for assignments and his run-of-the-mill planning thanks to his ego, and Scorch is tired of Gary's sophistication and smothering seriousness. To show gumption, bravery, and self-reliance, Scorch decides to venture to a place called "the dark planet" (Earth), where, not long after, he is kidnapped by a group of humans and locked in Area 51. It's up to his brother Gary, who leaves behind his wife and kids, to save his brother's backside, yet again.

Just within the first half of Escape from Planet Earth, we see how this film came to fruition. When Scorch lands on Earth, he noticed a waving balloon in front of a store and mistakes it for another lifeform. The waving balloon is a door-greeter for a 7/11 perfectly adjacent to Area 51. Inside the 7/11, where Gary stops upon his arrival to Earth, two geeky employees try to get him to drink a gorgeous blue Slurpee, shoving more product placement in our faces. Escape from Planet Earth doesn't have the budget of many CGI features (and I highly doubt it will make anywhere near the money they are known for either), so much of the profit and spending money was likely built because of unnecessary, unsubtle advertising.

Aside from that fact, this animated feature isn't half bad. It's first half is slow, methodical, and a tad too chaotic, where its second and third half are a delightful mix of humor and colors. At least for me. The rows in front of me which were occupied with about fourteen kids rarely chuckled or even so much as laughed. I fear that kids are reaching a phase where they've "seen it all," what with being bombarded by constant new animated programs and films, and because of that, this film inevitably feels like a genial, yet uninspired rehash of material. This I can agree with; my chuckles never stemmed past that nor were my smiles held for very long. There was no gripping attachment to these characters unlike what I've seen in Disney, Dreamworks, or Pixar films, and because of that, this falls flat in the impact and character departments.

Yet I still can't neglect the high level of imagination this film possesses and the overall smoothness of its production. Rainmaker Entertainment has long produced direct-to-DVD features that have been met with mixed public reception. Scrolling through titles like Scary Godmother, Stuart Little 3: Call of the Wild, and a never-ending onslaught of Barbie-trademarked films gives the impression to an unfamiliar consumer that they specialize in digital babysitters rather than impacting adventures. However, if there's one thing they seemed to hit home with here, it's the level of surprise, style, and motion that was put into picture. This doesn't quite look like a direct-to-DVD movie, and its adventure translates nicely to the big screen. Even the animation doesn't seem like it would blend in with other medium-budget CGI features often found on Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon. It's a surprisingly very tasteful endeavor.

As far as the storyline, which seems reminiscent of a film called Planet 51, unseen by me, there's not enough interest to make you analyze every possible outcome the characters could end up in, but there's not enough distance to where you absolutely don't care either. By the final act of the film, I wasn't deep into the mindset of loathe and actually found myself giggling at plot-points and certain details. Take for example the justification for imprisonment one of the aliens makes when Gary is thrown into Area 51 while trying to rescue his brother; he states that it was aliens who created revolutionary technology like the smartphone, the computer, the search engine, and even animated films. The reason we weren't told that was the evil-head of Area 51 named Shanker (William Shatner) imprisoned the aliens and gave credit to men like Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, and John Lasseter. "C'mon, man, do you really think a human could've made all that stuff?" one alien asks.

Escape from Planet Earth isn't really the most ideal viewing for children, especially considering even at eighty-nine minutes it treads the fine-line of being much of a muchness. But there's a good heart, a somewhat interesting story, solid visual flair, tolerable characters, a recognizable and capable cast of voices, and the generic but welcomed warmth animated films so innocently bare. If it's the worst animated film I'll see this year, I'll be quietly content; if it's the best I'll be concerned.

And do I even need to conclude with a statement about the inert and mediocre nature of the 3D?

NOTE: Escape from Planet Earth marks the first film of the year that I will do a companion-video review for on Youtube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mH0WOZfi9Y

Voiced by: Rob Corddry, Brendan Fraser, Sarah Jessica Parker, Jessica Alba, William Shatner, Craig Robinson, George Lopez, Jane Lynch, Sofía Vergara, Jonathan Morgan Heit, Ricky Gervais, Steve Zahn, and Gregg Binkley. Directed by: Cal Brunker.

Featherweight children's entertainment

Author: Jonny 99 from United States
4 March 2013

Much like the, certainly better, "A Cat in Paris", the generically titled "Escape from Planet Earth" inhabits the lower bounds of what can be considered a theatrical release. Essentially, the movie is Sesame Street's Earnie and Burt were aliens from the planet Bob (spelled "BAAB") held captive on "the Dark Planet" (earth) by "Dr. Stangelove's..." General Turgidson (voiced by the incomparable William Shatner) with predictable outcomes. Dissimilar from similar recent children's cartoon fair ("Monsters vs. Aliens", "Hotel Transylvania", etc.) the film does not contain referential humor and smart asides aimed at the supervising adults or the brighter little nippers. The film does contain all of the color and motion you would expect from bringing to the kids to see the "Madgascar" series and the soundtrack here is actually slightly superior as it relies less on 1990's dance tunes (yes, there is the requisite dance number at the end that all the animated characters - whether they survived or not - participate in). In short, wait for this short, empty calorie trifle to make it to pay-per-view on your cable box for a fraction of the cost.

Enjoyable, but nothing spectacular

Author: Ghostninja from Australia
22 June 2013

Good story, if a little bit uninspired. Some good moral points and impressive twists. As far as animations go, quality is right up there and an interesting ideas on how extra terrestrials could look. great variety in shape and sizes as well as a believable planet network. enjoyable graphics and great voice acting with a few celebs Took me forever to figure out who one of the characters were! but got there in the end. Nothing extra ordinary about it, some good takes on human way of life for the adults to chuckle at. All in all an enjoyable movie, and while its not up with the best animations i've ever seen i certainly enjoyed it and will recommend it to any kid/kid at heart who likes scifi!

Chix Chat on Film Review: Great Sci-fi animation; not very engaging.

Author: Emma Dinkins (emmadinkins@chixchatonfilm.com) from Texas, United States
19 February 2013

As a fan of animated features, I figured that this was a good opportunity to start the year off with some fun and fancy. Escape from Planet Earth looked from the trailer as if it was a story of captured aliens farmed out to work for free, inventing all the convenient gadgets that mere Earthlings could never have conceived. That concept was taken directly from Men in Black but that didn't dismay me I still expected a pretty good story to unfold. It turned out that this was one of the best looking worst written stories that I have had an opportunity to view lately. The animation was first rate, and I thought that would translate into a first rate film. It was sometimes hard to stay in the moment, my thoughts strayed numerous times. The first half hour was just a series of animated physical comedy that was not particularly funny, stepping on a broom and being popped in the face is just plain unoriginal and old. I believe that the issue with this story was that it was trying so hard to be good by adding in all the elements that make for a good movie that it somehow missed the mark. There was at the very foundation of the story the sibling rivalry between Gary Supernova (Rob Corddry) and his younger bigger brother Scorch Supernova (Brendan Frazier) and with them the brain versus brawn was at the core of their contention. There was some tongue in cheek Area 51, trailer park behavior, and a number of other hijinks that should have been fun or funny but just weren't. I suppose I expect a story to make sense and the opening scene with Scorch saving babies who happen to be in an unmanned crashed spacecraft was just ridiculous, so the rest just seemed like fodder. I did like the fact that Sofia Vergara (Gabby) was not just there for her sex appeal. As I mentioned before even without seeing the film in 3D which I didn't it looked great, the animation with all the pretty colors would be appealing to a small child, and they may find the broom in the face funny once or twice, but thrice! I don't think so. This is definitely a good rental to keep the little ones entertained in the comfort of your own home, but you can't leave them unattended since there is that PG rating. I give this film a red light.

Entertaining animated movie, aliens invade Area 51.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
27 June 2013

We saw this on DVD from our public library. As with virtually all animated movies, it is just an extended cartoon just for fun. There are many sight gags and slapstick, plus a few funny lines.

The main character has Brendan Fraser voicing Scorch Supernova, who looks and sounds a bit like Buzz Lightyear from the Toy Story movies. But where Buzz was a toy, Scorch is an actual blue alien living on a world many light years away from Earth. He gets the emergency call and heads to Earth for a rescue.

It is funny the way these aliens describe Earth, calling it the "dark planet" because aliens who go there never escape, like they get sucked into a black hole. The aliens use old films to show some Earth facts, and in their interpretation it is the only planet where evolution happened in reverse. It started with intelligent dinosaurs and now is inhabited by an inferior species, humans.

In a stroke of irony Scorch ends up at the 7-11 store near Area 51, that region famous for alien sightings. It turns out the US government has a secret fortress where various aliens are imprisoned and studied. In fact most of the new technology, cell phones, the internet, etc were results of technology stolen from those captured aliens. So Scorch with the help of his geeky brother has to free everyone and escape Earth.

Other great voice actors include Rob Corddry , Ricky Gervais, Jessica Alba, Sofía Vergara, and Sarah Jessica, plus a number of lesser-known talents.

Enjoyable Movie

Author: jezza248 from Australia
9 June 2013

well we will start off on one negative. the voices for some of the characters just didn't fit. George Lopez's character and Jane lynch's characters just annoyed me, i reckon George Lopez would be good if he was playing a more, tough and bulky character, unlike the alien he played named "Thurman". and to be honest Jane lynch should just stick to glee. her voice is just incredibly annoying when it comes to her character "Lo". but all of the other character's voices fitted perfectly and delivered solid performances. although the movie is enjoyable, it has it's flaws. as entered the second half of this movie, i began to lose interest. but what kept me going was a hilarious performance by Craig Robinson, as a Small and what he thinks, heroic mouse. I did like the fact, that it shows issues between the two brothers Scorch Supernova and Gary Supernova, and in the end how they fix those issues, and realize how much they need each other. in the end it was a enjoyable family movie that kids will love. I would give this movie a 6.4, if IMDb would let me for the review.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]