IMDb > Oceans (2009) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Océans

Oceans More at IMDbPro »Océans (original title)

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Alice in Aqualand.

Author: The_Fifth_Echo from United States
23 April 2010

Disney introduces a new chapter in its nature films called "Oceans". I wanted to see the film because I wanted to be fascinated and learn more. The movie looked spectacular, I mean they looked way better than some special effects, I've seen from like Transformers, Clash of the Titans. I mean some scenes were utterly breathtaking. Its a shame some people are too busy with work to appreciate Nature's beauty. Although it looked beautiful, it was not perfect. I found that the movie didn't have too much details or informations about the Earth's Oceans and that kind of disappointed me.

Overall I found the movie beautiful and entertaining. 8.0/10

This movie is a definite must-see for children of all ages.

Author: PWNYCNY from United States
25 April 2010

First, if you want to watch a movie featuring incredible cinematography, this is the movie to watch. This is the movie that will cause you to ask: "How DID they get that shot?" The ocean is a big place and there's lots to photograph. The denizens of the deep are portrayed in a respectful and almost reverential manner. One scene in which one of the divers is swimming WITH a great white shark was both spectacular and emotional. This is the first movie this reviewer can recall where a great white shark is portrayed as something other than a wanton killer. The majesty of the sea creatures is awe inspiring. They deserve our protection; they must be preserved and they warrant our undivided admiration and respect. Objects for our amusement in captivity and considered a source of food, this movie shows the audience a different side of these sea creatures, a side that we rarely if ever notice or care about, but nevertheless is there. This movie is a definite must-see for children of all ages.

Visually stunning, subtle, dreamy

Author: chadelle (chadelle.jb@aliceadsl.fr) from france
5 February 2010

Absolutely stunning. Simply the most beautiful underwater imagery I've ever seen. It's hard to remain not too affected when talking about ecology. Here, the off screen speech is quite subtle, not too naive and not boring, because sparingly used, which leaves long lapse of dreamy sequences, without a word. Technically, it's easily one of the best documentary ever made. The camera work and photography are incredible, the montage is very effective, alternating slow and fast paced sequences. The score is not too obtrusive. There is a very striking scene, which reminds me the nautical funerals of Laetitia in "Les Aventuriers" by Robert Enrico, if you see what I'm referring to, you will easily notice it, and I assure this scene will stick to your mind for days... Visually stunning, subtle, very recommended.

Much beauty, little information

Author: Ingo Schwarze from Karlsruhe, Germany
9 March 2010

On the one hand, this movie focuses on showing the unfamiliar, the exotic, the gigantic, the violent, the frightening. Eating and being eaten is among the most frequent activities of the animals in the movie. On the other hand, many images have been selected according to the connotations and emotions they might evoke in the modern urban viewer. Often, these connotations have little to do with the animals being shown or with their behavior. For example, two converging groups of crabs on the sea-floor make you think of attacking armies, and the lonely ice bear passing a gap between two icebergs certainly won't think of a door, a door that *you* are supposed to think of as marking a choice of paths of historical importance. The common aspect of these two pervasive aspects, of the exotic and of the symbolic, is the entertaining effect on the viewer, and that's probably what the movie is ultimately aiming at.

After starting from the explicit question "what are the oceans?", almost nothing is explained, so it's somewhat misleading to call this a documentary. You learn very little about where the animals you see live, how they live, and what is important for them. You learn nothing about how marine life works as a whole, as a set of ecosystems, so the topical question remains unanswered. Even the occasional facts stated remain unexplained - e.g., you learn that most species of large whales travel distances of several thousand kilometers twice a year, but you get no idea why, let alone why some feed near the poles and others in warm waters, just to provide one typical example.

What you learn about ecology and the protection of our environment is mostly old news. Species get extinct, mankind has caused the rate of extinction to grow a lot, diversity is important for ecological stability. Pollution, global warming and industrial fishing contribute to the various problems. Sure, no doubt, but no surprise either.

The film-makers explicitly express their desire that mankind should stop, or at least reduce, the havoc it's causing to wildlife and to our environment. But somehow the style they turned their movie belies their intention. It is well-known by now that you tend to regard with respect and to protect efficiently what you really know: Intimacy is required to care, intellectual understanding is required to find the proper means. This movie gives you neither. The fascination of the exotic and the technical brilliance of the images is not enough. At best it might serve as a teaser to learn more, but that's not what usually happens. When you are shown the exotic, deliberately shown as exotic as possibly, you stare at it in wonder, then get on with your own life.

All the same, the movie is clearly worth viewing, simply for the stunning, beautiful images.

Confusion over two versions of "Oceans"

Author: winstonnc-1 from United States
29 July 2011

It's important to note there are TWO versions of this film. Jacques Perrin's original runs 104 minutes and is narrated by Perrin in French. Disney bought the film, cut 20 minutes (much of it critical of human activity endangering the oceans and animal habitats), junked Perrin's spare narration, which lets you wonder at the sights on view, and substituted a gabby but emotionally chilly commentary by Pierce Brosnan.

Perrin's original version is not available in the US, per contract with Disney. The original is available in Europe on DVD and Blu-Ray (but unplayable on most US machines) but it seems to lack English subtitles. So you're pretty much stuck with Disney edition.

The original, however, is to my mind better and much more in line with Perrin's "Winged Migration" than the Disney version. The best that can be said for the US edition is that plays down the "humanizing" of animal life that was an annoy hallmark of Disney's True-Life Adventures of the 1950s.

amazing

Author: inunoaozora from Jakarta, Indonesia
7 June 2010

Undescribable movie about wonderful creatures living in the oceans and the surroundings. This movie has superb angles, beautiful scenes, remarkable background music, and deep-meaning little messages. Watching Oceans, our feelings will be touched by the real lives of animals, the events happen to them, and what we - humans - have done to them up till now. It pictures marine life wonderfully.

Mr. Perrin surely is an outstanding director. I can feel the director's love and caring about the ocean and world environment through this movie.

I hope many people could watch this movie. I hope the DVDS are sold throughout the world, cause no doubt I will buy it and watch it again and again with my friends and families. You can also watch it with your children, to acknowledge them to the sea, to expand their horizon about earth, and to give them 'something' that can make them show better care for the future through doings, at least better than us now. Excellent work.

Amazing imagery of the Oceans

Author: Freycinet from Denmark
10 February 2010

This movie enthralls you with the most amazing footage ever captured of the oceans that surround us. The commentary is minimalist, mainly a celebration of the diversity of ocean life, though with a warning at the end: we might be destroying much of that ocean life.

There is hardly any narrative, just as there wasn't in Perrins earlier "Winged Migration", but the succession of scenes is well-crafted and breaks in tempo make for a viewing experience with no dull moments whatsoever. The incredible imagery amply assures that.

Cutting-edge camera technology was used for the movie. Remote-controlled electric helicopters hovering over hump-back whales, cameras dragged by speed boats zoom along with fast-swimming sardines and helicopters brave terrible, stormy weather to capture mesmerizing footage of ships crashing through huge waves.

Not to be missed.

Stunning, without being too political

Author: Ytnair Bahaw from United States
2 May 2010

This is the kind of documentary movie you want to watch it in the theater.. don't wait for DVD, watch it NOW while it's still in theater. Just relax, enjoy breathtaking view, free yourself from Hollywood special effects or thinking too much about why the plot is so stupid. I recommend front seat than back seat so you can feel 'immersed' into the ocean. I like this movie because 1)the camera work is amazing 2) it covers almost every part of the world's ocean; from Artic, Galapagos, to small but high diversity place in Indonesia sea. 3)It's not over-narrated, nor highly political ambitious. Even tough the narration is less informative and sounds a bit strange because it is translated from French, but I believe the stunning visual needs less speech. I saw few kids not really enjoying the movie and left before it's over, probably because it's too sleepy for them, but hey, your kids can experienced more than Hollywood bullshit for a while.

A Nutshell Review: Oceans

Author: DICK STEEL from Singapore
15 July 2010

Making its world premiere at last year's Tokyo International Film Festival, Oceans is the latest enviro-documentary to hit the big screens, highlighting that while outer space is touted as the final frontier to be conquered by man, the waters around our land mass hold just as much fascination with the countless of species available in the depths of the ocean. Oceans, by directors Jacques Perrin and Jacques Cluzaud, provide us that glimpse 20,000 leagues under the sea.

For those, like me, who are absolutely clueless about the sea creatures other than what can be put on the dining table, you'll be left quite flabbergasted as you observe the various species being featured on screen, without any prompt or subtitle to label just exactly what creature they are. Of course for those who are schooled by Finding Nemo, you're likely to be able to name some of what's featured, just as the noisy young boy sitting beside me was able to, being somewhat of a help.

Aside from the usual gorgeous cinematography featuring schools of dolphins in motion, and plenty of synchronized swimming, with creatures big and small ranging from the giant whales to the newly hatched turtles struggling to make it to the waters before being picked up mercilessly by their predators, this is one documentary that allows you to go up close to these creatures since cameras were planted into the depths of all the oceans of the world.

It doesn't come across as preachy, because it doesn't wear its ecological badge in such an obvious manner at all in its sparse narrative. Instead, it does so very subtly, reminding us that there are others with whom we share this Earth with, and if we continue to plunder and pollute the land and treat the sea as sewage (so is that gaping hole capped by BP already?), then these are the creatures that we will lose in the near future, causing a major upset in the balance of Nature, and who can predict how Nature's wrath will be incurred back on us.

Nature documentaries are no longer made for the small screen, but have some mighty budget to be able to bring quality to the making of such films, serving to entertain and to capture beauty so rarely seen.

Cannot Hold A Candle To BBC's "Deep Blue"

Author: vlevensonnd-1 from United States
21 November 2010

I was looking forward to seeing this, since I've always been a fan of quality nature films, however, I found myself very disappointed with this film. If you have ever seen the truly beautiful, artistic, and utterly poetic nature film "Deep Blue", which came out from the English a few years ago, you are going to see far too many ironic similarities in this Disney production. Yes, they are both ocean films, and there are bound to be similarities, of course, but you will notice that Disney seemed to follow far too closely in their footsteps, even down to whom they chose to narrate (Pierce Brosnan)!! There are several actors one can choose to do a compelling narration - you do not have to choose the very same one. I'm not sure I understand why a company like Disney, who once were the masters of imagination, uniqueness, & fantasy, fail so miserably over these past 2 decades. Also, this film had approximately 1/4 of what "Deep Blue" had. If you want to watch a truly remarkable ocean film, see "Deep Blue", and pass over this one.

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]