IMDb > Doogal (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

RE-RECORDED WITH AN American CAST

Author: karlpaananen from United States
27 February 2006

AAARGH!!! Nobody told me that this U.S. version had been re-recorded WITH AN American CAST!!!!! Lines were definitely changed. The American cast always said "Carousel" instead of "Roundabout". I think that some references to "sugar" were changed to "candy" or "caramels".

The actors kept from the UK version of this movie (released under the title "THE MAGIC ROUNDABOUT") were Judi Dench as the narrator, Ian McKellen as Zebedee and Kylie Minogue as Florence. All the other roles were substituted with the voices of American actors.

The kid who speaks Doogal (why did they change the spelling of this from "Dougal"?) is high pitched and annoying. Substituting the voice of Whoopi Goldberg for the voice of Joanna Lumley (Ermintrude the cow) was a bit strange. But what I thought was unforgivable was substituting the voice of Jon Stewart ("The Daily Show") for that of Tom Baker ("Doctor Who" (and many other roles)). This was the role of "Zeebad" the villainous enemy of Zebedee. There's even a scene where Zeebad and Zebedee have a wizardly duel, like Saruman and Gandalf in Lord of the Rings. But instead of Tom Baker facing Ian McKellen, it's Jon "The Daily Show" Stewart!!! Find a way to see the version with the British cast. Skip the one with the American cast.

Karl

Doogal: Huge Disappointment

Author: Christine from United States
13 March 2006

I'm always looking for a cute movie for my 6 year old son and the characters in the Doogal movie trailer looked adorable. Not to mention a cast of Chevy Chase, Jon Stewart and Whoopi Goldberg, how could one go wrong. Boy was I disappointed. It was terrible. I can't remember the last time I saw a movie this bad. Not only did the characters lack any personality whatsoever, the plot relied solely on corny one-liners referencing countless movies and television shows in every scene. Most of which, children didn't understand and parents just didn't find funny. The theater was empty and those that decided to stay until the end hardly laughed. Do yourself a favor and pass this movie up. Don't even buy the DVD.

1st Razzie of 2006

Author: foight from United States
26 February 2006

Rip-off plot was not funny at all. The dog was completely selfish and unlikeable. The voices(including the English ones left in the film after the dubbing) have no inflection and tone. The talent of Whoopi Goldberg was completely wasted on this "dog" of a movie. You know that the movie is bad when as an adult the only thing mildly amusing is a moose passing gas. There is no fun in this movie, my kids (age 4 and 7) were bored and they are not picky. Valient was a five star masterpiece compared to this schlock. It was an hour and a half of my life I will never get back! I will not go to another Weinstein animated film unless it has topped the charts for weeks - this is not even straight to video quality. Do not waste your hard earned money on this. Even if the kids are dying to see it, wait until it hits video stores next week and put it on while you are vacuuming.

worst kids' movie of all times

Author: Warren Amole (warren@amole.com) from Seattle, WA
26 February 2006

I've found that attending movies with my kids is almost always great fun. Movies that I wouldn't be caught dead watching otherwise are somehow not so bad when the kids are there. In one case, a movie I had seen by myself and been completely bored was actually a lot of my fun watching with my 7 yr old son later.

Doogal has no redeeming value whatsoever. The celebrity voices provide zero added value - Jon Stewart is at best, OK. The rest are definite negatives which I have never seen before. The plot is transparently thin, the characters are extremely weak, and not a single laugh out loud in the entire theater, although it was almost empty on the second day.

Not even a DVD rental. KEEP AWAY!

To be avoided at all costs!

Author: rcrtod from California, USA
8 April 2006

I have been seeing films in theaters for over 50 years and this is only the second time I actually walked out during the movie. I am a big fan of quality animated films, from the early Disney up to the more recent Ice Age, Hoodwinked, Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, etc., and the wonderful Miyazaki films. I thought, with this cast it has to be good. I mean it has Dame Judy Dench, William H. Macy, Whoopie Goldberg. All actors I greatly admire. Unfortunately, the film has absolutely no redeeming qualities whatsoever. There is no humor, adventure, interesting characters or anything else that would keep one interested. I kept saying to myself, it has to get better, but it never did. I finally had enough and walked out. I was not the only one to do so.

boring............

Author: stinkyuu from United States
1 May 2006

This was the all-time boring est movie I have ever seen in my short life. The plot line..boring..the jokes..boring..the animals..boring. This movie wasn't even on a long time in the theaters. It would have been better if it was a made for t.v. I would have respected it more and give it 2 stars. It definitely didn't have any qualities for a theatric movie. When I went to the theaters, that was the first time I actually wanted to leave after 10 minutes of watching it.

I can't believe the creators of the 'Fairly Odd Parents' did such an awful job on this movie. And I don't even like the odd parents. I expected more of this movie. I am very aware that this movie was made for little children. But that doesn't mean that older and adults can't say that they didn't like this movie.

At least I got some sleep in the theater! No offense to anyone who like this movie.

Run away...run very far away

Author: isyllt from United States
19 April 2006

if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all, right? well...I have ONE nice thing to say...some of the pop culture references in this movie were fun.

Beyond that. This movie is atrocious. I was hoping for something fun; a good solid kids movie, complete with solid moral grounding.

All my son learned from this movie is, "if you make a mistake...LIE. take other people with you to solve your problem and let THEM do all the work (while you lounge around), make things harder for them, and then YOU take all the credit for their hard work."

I dislike SharkBoy and Lavagirl, but through all its eye-jarring visuals and mind-numbing plot...at least it has some morally redeeming qualities, and my kid walks away having learned a little something about doing the right thing, no matter how hard.

Doogal has NONE of that....

lazy movie. lazy plotting. lazy acting. lazy script. lazy thought.

If I never see this movie again, my life will be better for it.

Eisner could have been right with this crap on a stick

Author: daisydukenator from United States
27 February 2006

This was possibly the worst movie I have ever seen. It makes dukes of hazards look like Gone With The Wind.

The only time I laughed at the movie was from relief, when it ended. The jokes in the movie were horrible. For example, when skeletons came out of the ground they said "Pirates of the Carribian." Thats it. WHAT? This movie was released by the weinstien brothers who were the head of mirimax. Michael Eisner fired them a few years ago, I am starting to think that this was a good idea, because even Eisner would not release stink like this.

Also, the dubbing was horrible. There was a moose in the movie, whose mouth did not move, but he still spoke. Don't see this movie, it sucks.

I would kick that dog if I could

Author: Isaiah53-1 from United States
21 March 2006

Seriously, this is possibly the worst animated feature of all time. Not only is the story LAME, but it jumps around way too much. There is absolutely no character development whatsoever. The voice acting is horrendous; the voices don't fit the characters at all. You would think with Jimmy Fallon and Whoopi Goldberg, the movie would be somewhat amusing…it was just the opposite. I found myself wanting to kick that stupid little dog right in the face. He is obnoxious and condescending. If I hadn't fallen asleep half way through, the entire experience would have been a waste. I would rather watch Ben Affleck as Hamlet for a month straight, then see this "movie" one more time. Don't waste your time…don't waste your money and don't insult your kids by making them choke through this mess.

An insult to the people behind The Magic Roundabout

Author: Chris Horry from Sanford, FL, USA
28 May 2006

Anyone who, like me, assumed this was a modern remake of The Magic Roundabout will be sorely mistaken. The Magic Roundabout was a charming little stop-motion animation from the 1970s that I have loved since childhood (even if the creators where obviously smoking something!).

This movie bears no resemblance to that original animation, apart from lifting the character names. The rest is frankly the worst children's animation I have ever seen. Even Jon Stewart cannot save this turkey (the only reason I even bothered watching it).

Avoid at all costs, it deserves to be in the bottom 100. Go buy a DVD of the original series instead!

Page 1 of 12:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]