In Nazareth, teenager Mary is betrothed to the local carpenter, Joseph. Mary is visited by an angel and told that she will fulfill a prophecy and as a virgin give birth to God's son, the savior of the world. Mary's pregnancy brings her the scorn of the community and Joseph struggles to believe her seemingly outlandish story. Meanwhile, a census forces every man and his family to return to his place of birth. Joseph and Mary set out on a long and arduous journey to Bethlehem. This story is based on the Biblical account of the birth of Jesus Christ. Written by
As I write this I am aware that the vote is averaging 6.3. If you could see my voting record you would know that I do not give a high vote easily. So why do I see this so differently than many of you. Is it because I am a devout Christian? I did not give the PAssion of the Christ a very high rating. So i feel that I can be even handed in seeing this as what it is.
1. I think that Ciaran Hinds played Herod as well as I have ever seen. The paranoia, and menace came through so well.
2. I think Elliot Davis' cinematography was beautiful. It made me feel that I was in a renaissance painting.
3. I was moved emotionally - which is not true of the Passion of the Christ movie.
4. The parts of the movie that were based on the Biblw were accurate - although I wished they had shown a choir of the heavenly host.
5. The parts of the movie that were based on conjecture or Catholic traditions were well thought out. I enjoyed the use of the Wise Men as comic relief.
I believe this movie so far is highly underrated.
52 of 65 people found this review helpful.
Was this review helpful to you?