IMDb > The List (2007/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The List

The List More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Gives new meaning to the word "Bomb"

Author: Harold Klein from Philadelphia, PA
28 July 2008

I was almost two-thirds through with this unbelievably bad film before I thought to read user comments. Do not be sucked in by the seemingly-worthless-but-really-valuable-inheritance premise. It goes nowhere, but very, very sloowwwlllyy -- and, even more sadly, ineptly. A couple of really distinguished actors and several supporting actor pros stopped by long enough to pick up what must have been small paychecks (it's unfortunate that for most readers, this film will be only time that they will get to see one of the great Broadway actors of the 50's and 60's, Pat Hingle, in a silly role). They carried really amateurish TV types who unfortunately happen to be the leads. The camera operator knew his business as the film is in sharp focus. But you may not find this a plus. The editing is incompetent; continuity almost doesn't exist. Ultimately though, the script looks like a first draft in the hands of a novice director (the less said about the latter the better). My time in writing this and your time in reading this far will only prove worthwhile if my effort keeps you from wasting as much time as did I in sitting through 67 minutes of this bomb.

The worst move of all time

Author: Len Middleton from United States
26 July 2008

This movie took a good idea and turned it into religious drivel. A good old boys financial cabal is foiled by the power of prayer. I could just puke. That will teach me to watch PG rated movies. Roddy McDowell must be desperate for a check or he is over the deep end into Christianity. The plot was so thin, the good old boys set up the new guy to rise up against the leader of the cabal. Why would someone new to this super rich group accept responsibility for attempting to overthrow the leader of the group? Answer, he wouldn't unless the super thin plot depended on it. Then, they give the leader evil powers to harm the new people the new guy cares about so he has to turn to god with the coercion of others to make all things right in his world. BARF.

Plays like a Lifetime movie

Author: toddg-473-289818
24 May 2015

Even Malcolm McDowell couldn't save this movie. I kept waiting and waiting for the secret of the list to be revealed, but the movie only dabbled into the unexplained, instead turning into a morality play about good vs. evil. The background music was inappropriate to the point of being distracting (the background music in There Will Be Blood is the all time worst, but that's another story). Even the romance between the male and female leads just plodded along. Several of the plot lines could have been further developed, and the amount of time spent on the prayer scenes looked like fill. Very slow moving, and the more you watched, the more disappointed you became.

More to this Secret Society than Meets the Eye

Author: Uriah43 from Amarillo, Texas
11 May 2014

When his wealthy father dies, "Renny Jacobsen" (Chuck Carrington) is alarmed to discover that he will get very little from the will. Even more surprising is the fact that his father was also a member of a secret society called the "Covenant List of South Carolina" which consists of old families from the Confederacy. Since he is the only male heir from one of these families he is then invited to join. But there is more to this secret society than meets the eye and Renny is about to find out all kinds of disturbing things. Anyway, rather than detail the rest of the story and risk ruining the film for those who haven't seen it I will just say that what struck me most about this movie was that for a Christian movie there wasn't much spirituality and for a thriller there wasn't much suspense. At least I didn't think so. On top of that it started a bit slow and seemed a bit too vague in some places. But other than that I suppose it was watchable and I give it a rating of average.

Lame Film should make Every Viewer Cringe

Author: fcline-579-762789 from United States
12 December 2011

So, my teenage daughter and I decided to watch this on DVD one lazy Sunday afternoon. We had never heard of it before deciding to watch it. My wife must have picked up an unopened copy of it at a thrift store or else somebody gave it to us for Christmas. Anyhoo, it started out slow, like a movie on the Lifetime channel, but we decided to give it a chance. It had a professional look to it (lighting,sets, etc.), so I thought. maaaayyybbeeee it would find its legs somewhere in the second act, after all, why would someone spend all this money on a pointless production?? Sadly, those legs never unfolded. The principle actors gave good performances, but the supporting actors were weak. The story lacked dramatic turns of any kind. There were many "WTF" story moments where either my daughter or I would shout, "What"? or "I don't get it"?, "That's so lame"!, etc. But the biggest irk was the obnoxious and misplaced use of prayer as battle against the evil forces coming from who-knows-where. The filmmakers must have really had very little respect for Christianity to abuse it in this manner. The viewer has no choice but to conclude that Christian practice is as fictitious and ridiculous as this story/film within which it finds this very absurd expression.

You shall not bear false witness!

Author: Matches Malone from Sweden
28 February 2011

Anyone who praises this movie is lying. The acting, the cinematography, the dialogue, the pacing, everything is amateurish and without any form of suspense or drama. I know that some people wants this to be a masterpiece, because of its very obviously Christian message, but that does not redeem anything! And the acting... Chuck Carrington was passable, Hilarie Burton sleepwalked her way through it, and Malcolm McDowell was the same bug eyed maniac he's been playing the last twenty years. The only one who came out of this alive was Pat Hingle, I've always loved that guy.

Avoid at all costs, unless you're a die-hard Christian with low standards.

This movie is about greed, if is about anything at all.

Author: pkpera from Land of confusion
27 March 2009

Most of comments here says that The List (2007) is Christian movie. I don't see things like that. All, what I saw is request for praying and some Voodoo-like remote people control. This movie could be acceptable some 800 years ago, but in 21st Century... Main character was in fact not much better than old members of covenant. What he wanted ? Money in first place. To live without working. I can 'forgive' him that wanted girl :-), but is Christian wanting to live without doing anything ? Wanting money of pater, who he disliked ? If this was intended as some Christian propaganda, it could not be done worse. But probably someone took some money for that. For other nonsenses see other comments, forum.

Are you kidding me?

Author: anne07876 from United Kingdom
14 August 2008

The story was excellent, really good idea. But, I kept thinking as I watched the film (and I forwarded regularly) that I respect a good editor, and this film didn't have such a person on board.

The acting was alright. I couldn't tell if it was the acting or the editing that was the let down, probably more the editing but I can't say the acting helped matters. Oh, and the ending was a bit of a let down cliché. Tacky.

Standing ovation though at the opening? I think people were being nice and generous. The lead was good, nice face, but couldn't help but think that if he had a solid stylist, he'd have been smoother. A few of his lines were unrealistic, such as he's wooing the girl and he invites her round to his place, "....to meet his landlady." Who the hell is the landlady, and who the hell cares! Her level of importance only became obvious (perhaps a bit too obvious) three-quarters of the way through. Not very elegant. There were a couple of other what-did-he-just-say moments, and I pictured myself - if I were him - arguing with the writers for saying such nonsense.

Only worth a look if you want to see what not to do.

Beware -- Christian propaganda disguised as a "thriller"

Author: Deborah-20 from United States
6 July 2008

I cannot believe I was duped into watching this movie because the DVD cover led you to believe it was a "thriller." Even if I had agreed with the heavy-handed Christian preaching in this, it was still a crappy movie. That's why I can't understand all the glowing reviews. Come on, Christian or not, this was poorly written and shoddily directed. The whole story made no sense -- what was the purpose of this secret society anyway? They said they had power, but I didn't see them using it to influence politics or anything. All they seemed to be about was money.

I am totally incensed that I was misled into watching a two hour sermon. The fact that they had to trick people into watching this by presenting it as something that is wasn't makes these "good Christians" no better than the "evil" people they are preaching against.

Crap of the lowest order.

I registered with this site just so I could give this review

Author: baker_tony from United Kingdom
29 June 2008

A very bad movie, it's just religious rubbish. Actually started off like a normal movie that could've been interesting, but just kept on going nowhere with extra piles of c*** getting pored on top. I can't understand why people have given this movie high ratings, I can only imagine that some church told everyone to log in to IMDb and give the movie a 10 without even seeing it. That or religious people can not only brain wash themselves about God, but can brainwash themselves in to thinking a s*** movie is good. *****repeat****** A very bad movie, it's just religious rubbish. Actually started off like a normal movie that could've been interesting, but just kept on going nowhere with extra piles of c*** getting pored on top. I can't understand why people have given this movie high ratings, I can only imagine that some church told everyone to log in to IMDb and give the movie a 10 without even seeing it. That or religious people can not only brain wash themselves about God, but can brainwash themselves in to thinking a s*** movie is good. *****repeat****** A very bad movie, it's just religious rubbish. Actually started off like a normal movie that could've been interesting, but just kept on going nowhere with extra piles of c*** getting pored on top. I can't understand why people have given this movie high ratings, I can only imagine that some church told everyone to log in to IMDb and give the movie a 10 without even seeing it. That or religious people can not only brain wash themselves about God, but can brainwash themselves in to thinking a s*** movie is good.

Page 5 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]