IMDb > The List (2007/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 4 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

loved this film

Author: wallacewarmwater from United States
16 April 2009

Got this from Netflix the other night to watch as a family.

We were totally surprised to find something we could all watch.

Best McDowell performance in a long time.

Suspenseful... well shot...great character actors too.

It was funny because I couldn't place on of The List members and just saw that he was Tom Cruise's father from Risky Business.

Don't know why there are so many anti-Christian comments but this was a good film.

And as far as it not being Southern... that is crazy and we live in NC.

Never really heard of Hilarie Burton before but she stood out for us as did Will Patton.

Good premise - horrible development and ending

Author: robnaro
15 March 2009

This movie has absolutely no substance. The intriguing premise of the movie is apparent early on and is good enough to keep interest through the end but never gets developed. The viewer is left waiting to see how the list works and what power and influence it brings. The reward for the viewer is the nonsensical supernatural powers the book possesses which are ultimately countered by a combination of prayer and the main character definitively and literally saying "no" to the power of "the list". What an utter and complete waste of a decent premise. There was no resolution to the battle between the members of the list and the main character. They both just went their separate ways. How ridiculous. It would be like the end of the Godfather coming when Michael Corleone storms in front of the Solozzo and McCluskey and says "no" while his family is at home praying (queue curtain). No where does the movie even attempt to explain where the heart attack powers the list has come from or why they stop working. The producer and writer for this movie should mail everyone who wasted money on this movie their money back. Do yourself a favor, read the blurb on the back of the DVD case and make up your own story based on the premise. I guarantee your story and ending will be better than the one in this movie.

Worst movie ever? (psuedo SPOILER later in comments)

Author: jsalwen from San Rafael, CA
26 February 2009

I had the misfortune of seeing this movie while on vacation. It was about the worst movie I've ever seen.

While as an atheist, I found the religion stuff to be over the top, that isn't the problem. If you want to see a good movie with religion in it, check out Frailty.

My problem was with the story/plot, acting, and direction. Visually, it felt like I was watching a low budget TV movie (was it?). The acting was not so bad as to be funny, it was just totally uninspired. The main issue was the story. When the movie ended, I thought I missed something. NOTHING happened, except ...

SPOILER ALERT other than the main character finding his faith, nothing happened. And if the movie is just about somebody re-enforcing his faith, then way have a the whole weird story. I just don't get it.

Sorry, wish I could, but can't recommend this one

Author: luminaire1 from Canada
26 December 2008

My wife and I just finished watching this and we both agreed that it was ultimately disappointing. The main problem we had with it was that the story was disjointed and didn't come to a persuasive and satisfying climax. I can't agree with most of the comments made previously. The acting was OK, the sets were ... fine, though not superlative as most previous reviewers thought. And yes, if you want a film that doesn't have a lot of vulgarity, violence, or gratuitous sex, then this would be a good choice. Unfortunately, the main problem here was the story. It was a confusing mix of a supernatural "thriller", a romance, a courtroom drama, and a "faith story." I'm still not exactly sure what happened in the end.

I was disappointed because I wanted this story to work. It does has an element of religious faith in it and I was hoping that people of faith would be portrayed in a fair light, not as muddle-headed fanatics as so often occurs in films. Unfortunately, while the film portrays people who have some kind of faith fairly, they are not fully fleshed-out human beings, and so in the end fall into tired stereotypes (thus, the ex-missionary who spends most of her time doling out platitudes and praying). Too bad, because there was some promise here.

Insulting

Author: mark-4401 from United States
15 November 2008

As a Southerner this movie was insulting! Some actors/actresses can pull off a southern accent. These actors (especially the son) failed terribly. They butchered all attempts.

Typical stereotyping of the South that one finds in low budget films, or films made by Hollywood which has no clue about the true South, or failed to do research.

Historically inaccurate. Everything from dates to geographic locations.

Typical story of rich white descendants from rich white slave owners. Evil, controlling individuals who are out to control the world.

Movies like this bother me greatly as people who have never visited the South, or have not educated themselves believe that movies like this are as factual as a History Channel documentary. It leads people to think this is how we are "down here". Sad conclusion.

Do I have anything good to say? Well... the photography was very good, sorry that this excellent talent was wasted on this film.

Music was good as well.

The plot (for a fiction novel) had great possibilities... unfortunately the directors fell asleep at the wheel in bringing this "plot" to the surface.

Bottom line... save your time and money.

Even Jesus Hates This Movie

Author: thefunk200 from United States
5 November 2008

Things I learned from "The List".

A decent cinematographer, a hot girl who can act and Malcom McDowell couldn't stop this movie from sucking.

Blockbuster won't give you your money back.

Even when he reads the script and says "Ugh! Really?!", Malcom McDowell still tries.

Chuck Carrington desperately needs acting classes.

Hire a writer.

Jesus hates me too and punished me by making me pay $ 5.50 to see this movie.

When making a movie, you don't need an ending. Just leave everything unexplained, unresolved an uninteresting enough so that the audience falls asleep BEFORE the ending. Genius.

Any random landlord can cure death just by drawing a cross on a window. So make friends.

Your maid can sing you back to life.

Chuck Carrington still needs acting classes.

Your roommate will hate you and make fun of you if you bring home this movie.

Apologies will not be accepted.

Cover is deceiving

Author: dramaqueen795 from United States
17 June 2010

I am a Christian and I will say it always makes me nervous to watch a film that is one-plus I read the book first.

My husband and I couldn't even finish the film for we were almost falling asleep in the middle of it. Its kind of sad to be watching a movie and saying to myself "what was it about this book that actually kept me reading? This film sucks".

It was a cliché Christian film: The main character is semi-attractive but was most likely a JC Penny model and had no previous acting experiences.

The music is too loud for the quiet scenes and is ALWAYS playing.

Surprised that some of these big names signed up for the film.

The plot was missing.

Some of the camera angles made me feel like I was watching some high school film project.

The diaologue felt awkward and made me feel almost embarrassed to be watching it.

Was not suspenseful AT ALL! I have watched films that have had faith play out in them and they were powerful. What is up with the Christians making these films and making all of us look bad? Very disappointing.

A Horrible Movie Turned into a Joke

Author: dilillo1148 from United States
14 March 2010

This is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Not the worst, but up there... one of the top 10 worst, at least.

Anyway, myself and two friends watched this from beginning to end, and sadly, we'll never get that time back.

So, we decided on a way to strike back, so to speak. Misery loves company, so my friends and I hype this movie up to others as a great film. Malcom McDowell is always a good selling point, so there's that. And then we usually say that despite the "Jag guy" being in it, the movie is actually compelling. We even say that though we're not big fans of the show Jag (or the show's star), the "Jag guy" really came into this movie with his A game.

(Yes,I actually own the film) Well, I've officially loaned this movie out to close to ten people (along with the help of my two friends), and each and every one of them hated it as well.

Mission accomplished!

This movie blows.

Made me want to vomit

Author: webmaster-1476 from United States
11 December 2009

A long boring movie that plays like an advertisement for everything 90-year-old southerners love about the deep south from Dixie flags to barbecue to woman-hating to bigotry to Christian Hymns. Horrible dialog - lots of colorful references to southern justice, calling young men "Boy", mixed with secret societies and a vague reference to voodoo. Apparently pressing on a spot of someone's blood with your finger allows you to control them, and only Christian prayer can break the spell. Slow moving, pointless, it's like a Confederate version of "National Treasure" edited together with "Deliverance". Oh, and the bad guy gets off Scott free.

kind of a pentecostal supernatural thriller

Author: john in missouri from United States
3 October 2008

You want to know the real problem with "Christian" films? There are two: first, they usually come with sermons attached (of one kind or another), and sermons generally don't mix well with entertainment. Sermons and entertainment tend to be at odds with each other. And the second problem is that a cut-and-dried world view tends to permeate such movies to the extent of making them all too predictable.

This film is generally well made (Malcolm McDowell does a great job as the slightly-unnerving and ultimately sinister leader of a 150-year-old secret society), and it starts off promising, but in the end it suffers from both of the aforementioned issues.

Because of its nature, it's the kind of movie that usually gets very high ratings from people who passionately go for its whole world view, and very low ratings from people who simply don't.

On the positive side: it's a generally fairly well-produced movie with a PG rating, which is rare these days for a film for grownups, and it does seem to generate a decent enough amount of suspense... particularly if you haven't figured out it's basically a "Christian" film (oops, kinda spoiled that part a little bit). Down side: it ultimately becomes a bit formulaic and slightly "preachy." Still, not an awful movie. I've seen better, and I've seen worse. I give it a 5.

Page 4 of 8: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]