IMDb > The List (2007/I) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The List

The List More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]

Outstanding acting by the cast keeps this mystery/thriller moving

Author: metropolis2004 from United States
11 July 2007

The film opens in a manner reminiscent of Law and Order: Criminal Intent, with a record of various events surrounding the creation of "The List." The uncertainty of these events and their relation one to another foreshadows the mystery facing a young lawyer as he pursues the inheritance left him by his late father. As he does, he faces a similar series of mysterious events, deadly but seemingly disconnected. The solution to his own mystery lies in an understanding of the events that opened the film. This film chronicles the battle between power wielded by the greedy and merciless and power wielded by good and Godly people who surround the young lawyer. He is caught between forces competing for his soul and, in the face of uncertainty, must make a decision that will determine the course of his life. This is a quiet thriller, reflective of the challenges and choices that each of us faces in our own lives. The story is enhanced by truly outstanding acting on the part of all of the case members. -- LRD

mcdowell shines

Author: candle7927 from United States
2 June 2008

I got the chance to watch this film at a festival in Florida with Malcolm Mcdowell in attendance. After the film there was a near standing ovation. Malcolm did such a great job and you could tell by his comments that he really was proud of the film.

To us in this audience it was clear that the film had a "faith" message from the beginning. I think going in to the movie knowing that helped.

I thought it was beautifully shot, well directed (director was at the festival too and was a really nice guy - Malcolm seemed to love him) and really well acted. Does walk the "power of prayer" message. So be warned. Good film though.

Impressive

Author: jonnystan1 from United States
11 May 2007

Adapting a novel is no simple task. Having read the book by Robert Whitlow I must say I am truly impressed. Is it exactly the same as the book? No, but it captures the heart of the book's message and I left the theater satisfied from a thrilling tale of good versus evil.

Perhaps even more impressive is the "production value" of the picture. Often low-budget films can really look cheap on screen only to be sent crashing and burning by even cheaper acting. Malcolm McDowell and Chuck Carrington lead the way for an ensemble cast of characters that truly captures the "Old-Money, Deep South" of Charleston. I was particularly impressed with scenes by Pat Hingle (of Gunsmoke fame, as well as Batman) and Will Patton which provided the most touching moments in the film.

I was always concerned that this movie would end up preaching to the audience (like most movies I have seen of this genre). The List is not that movie. A few of the characters talk about their faith and their belief in prayer but it is just a part of who those people are in the greater story of The List. It was nice to see someone on-screen portrayed as a selfless, compassionate human willing to sacrifice themselves for others WITHOUT TURNING TO VIOLENCE (a rare character in Hollywood).

So grab some popcorn and a coke—pull up a chair-- and enjoy this fantastic little Indie- flick!!

I really liked this film, it stays with you and makes you think.

Author: Jonathan Olive from United States
3 June 2008

The List is the type of movie that stays with you. It continues to make you think and ponder certain aspects of life. After viewing this movie I mostly wondered about the true power of prayer and how much effect it can really have on your surroundings. The List focuses mainly on the power of prayer and choices one has to make and overcome. I loved the way these two subjects were woven into the plot. They are not easy things to put into a film without coming across as preachy. The List takes characters that would naturally speak of Christianity rather than use a character that makes you throw your hands up and say, "Where did that come from!" The List sets out with a very specific goal and accomplishes it with greatness. If you are looking for a solid, well made Christian film then this one is for you.

A very good film based on an excellent book

Author: (sschroder) from United States
13 September 2007

A movie rarely top the novel it portrays, especially when the novel is as well written as The List. But this movie adaption stays faithful to the story with a few added interesting twists and turns. If you love civil war history, mysteries, or trying to understand the spiritual dynamics behind every day life, you will be intrigued and entertained by this beautifully shot movie. Malcombe McDowell is especially convincing as a wealthy southerner and Hillary Burton is surprisingly good as the female lead. Watching The List moves the observer to laugh out loud as well as question what new clue will appear that will help unravel the mysteries swirling around Rennie, the lead character. None are fully answered until the end of the film. I heartily recommend it.

surprisingly great film

Author: bksmyth from United States
21 May 2008

Saw this film at a film festival in Georgia. We didn't know what to expect but had heard good things about it. We also heard that there was a faith element to the film which is always a mixed bag.

We were totally surprised. This was a real movie. Great locations, great look and feel (looked up the DP - how did they get him? Thomas Crown Affair!!!!)... and the cast - it is the best Malcolm Mcdowell part I've seen in years.

As to the faith... it is in there but I didn't find it overwhelming and the characters on screen seemed to be real. Walks a very strong fine line about the power of prayer.

I think it will make a great rental and we'll buy a couple of copies when it comes out.

Great southern film.

Author: sthrn567 from United States
15 January 2008

Heard about this film from a bunch of friends. Didn't know much about the story going in and man was I blown away.

Great cast (McDowell is as good as he's been in recent years... and Hilarie Burton. Where did she come from?), beautifully shot (trust me... I live in the South and this one captures it in all it's beauty) and a really intriguing story. Lot's of great inside Southern jokes. The theater was packed and everyone seemed to have a great time.

Pat Hingle and Will Patton both do great in small roles. My wife cried many times too.

If it is not playing in your area, I'd recommend you rent it the day it comes out.

This film is 10 star all the way!

Author: tinyft10 from Lancaster, SC
21 April 2007

I had the incredible opportunity to see an advance screening of "The List" this morning.

It is the story of a man who finds himself at a cross-road when he learns of his fathers' death, and the secrets he left behind. Renny Jacobsen has some hard lessons to learn in love and life on his incredible journey to the Lord.

The performances were Powerful, Chuck Carrington (of Jag fame) was outstanding in his role as Renny a young man from the south faced with some hard life decisions. The beautiful and talented Hilarie Burton (One Tree Hill) brought a charm to the role of Jo, that anyone who has read Robert Whitlow's novel of the same name, knows her character required. The portrayal of Desmond Larochette by Malcom McDowell was spine tingling, and Pat Hingle a Hollywood Icon for over 50 years (TV and film from Gunsmoke and beyond) was magnificent, but it just might have been Will Patton (Remeber the Titans, Armageddon) that stole the show.

The writing was RIVITING, Robert Whitlow is an incredible writer, and in the tradition of John Grisham his book has been adapted for the big screen with all the passion, and attention to detail that you would expect.

The music was Great, as was the cinematography.

I left the theater with chills up and down my spine, Robert & Gary (Wheeler - Director), God bless you both. You have struck GOLD!

good family film

Author: ruffinpete from United States
17 June 2008

I rented this film to watch with my family. It was really refreshing to watch something together and not worry about language or content.

The kids loved the film too and particularly liked Hilarie Burton. Malcolm Mcdowell was great as well.

I thought the direction and cast were great and the message - we all need to believe in the power of prayer - was timely.

This was a great rental.

As to some of the negative comments - it seems like any movie that mentions God is labeled propaganda.

Ridiculous.

Enjoyable Movie

Author: daveinlondon-1 from United States
24 August 2007

My wife and I and son stayed at the Ballentine Resort in Charlotte. We saw the film. And I have to say I enjoyed this film from start to finish. Malcolm McDowell is an amazing actor. I sure would not want him mad at me. Tim Ware (I think he was in Remember the Titans) and Hillary Burton (she is cute) are outstanding. I liked the plot, and the camera work is really good. How about that section of Will Patton at the church near the graveyard? Could that have been done any better? Will Patton did a super job. I love the film cuts in the church. I also enjoyed the opening scenes back in the 1800's; I think it said it was in Georgetown South Carolina. Overall, a really good movie, with good acting, good editing, and good music.

Page 1 of 8:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [Next]