IMDb > How to Rob a Bank (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

How to Rob a Bank More at IMDbPro »

A Fun Romp!

Author: review-7 from Los Angeles, CA
28 June 2007

It's difficult to make a film where nothing happens exciting to the viewer, but the filmmakers have done that here. Because nothing happens. And it works anyway. The cinematography is original and well done. The way the DP has the camera move gives you a real feel for the location and the claustrophobia the characters must feel. One shot in particular stands out. The camera moves from the vault back through the bank, out a bullet hole, and ends with the cops.

The dialogue is sharp and often funny. You might not be repeating any lines to your friends but the dialogue feels real. Okay, there was a little exposition, but not a lot. The exchange that ends with "I have his number if you want it" cracked me up.

The situations with cell phone use feel authentic in how they play out. The characters' frustrations and lack of cleverness is a refreshing change from most films. The editing is fairly tight. Scenes don't drag.

Erm.... Now I know how to rob a bank

Author: ichocolat from i1chocolat.blogspot.com
22 March 2009

This film is not your typical run of the mill weekend show on TV, this film is different than what the cable television channels are showing feeding the masses these days.

This film is original, creative, quirky and funny. The cast are amazing, and the storyline is simply fantastically (is that even a word, I do not know, but I used it anyway, in lack of a better word) made.

I wouldn't recommend this as a thriller, as I think this is more of a dark comedy, entwined with actions and clever conversations.

This film, whilst not Oscar worthy, is good nonetheless. Issues regarding bank security, of our dislikes of banks charging us for services they were supposed to give for free to the customers, is mentioned here.

I like the way the story is told, and of the tips given. For the record, I have no intention to rob any banks (yet), but the tips do come in handy should I decide to change my career in the future.

more clever than accomplished

Author: Roland E. Zwick (magneteach@aol.com) from United States
14 March 2010

"How to Rob a Bank" is a low-budget oddity in which a young private citizen (Nick Stahl) gets accidentally locked in a bank vault with a hot-and-sexy would-be robber (Erika Christensen). The trick is it's hard to tell whose side young Jinx is really on - the bank robbers' who are holding the employees and customers hostage on the other side of the steel door, or the cops', led by Officer Degepse (Terry Crews of "Everybody Hates Chris"), who are stuck outside the bank trying to defuse the situation. Jinx is a customer mightily ticked off at how banks literally nickel-and-dime their depositors at every opportunity - and it is anger at this outrage that may inspire him to shift his loyalties to the malefactors in the final stretch.

Written and directed by Andrews Jenkins, the movie earns more points for creativity than it does for execution. The story is often needlessly gimmicky and confusing, the direction unpolished and lacking in finesse, and the performances low on subtlety and shading (though Stahl is very good). Plus, what with its made-on-the-cheap appearance, collection of pseudo-profundities and single-set mise-en-scene, "How to Rob a Bank" definitely has a film-school-project feel to it.

Still, it's kind of fun watching the movie turn the bank-robbery formula on its head, particularly in its blurring of the lines between the hostages and the hostage-takers, the law-breakers and the law-enforcers. Plus, for a little added kick, it has the late David Carradine appearing in a cameo role right at the closing moments.

Simple but Beautiful Enough!

Author: Nazim Mahmood (nazim_mahmood@ymail.com) from Bangladesh
2 September 2011

This movie is simply beautiful and surely this is not what you are expecting after hearing the title.

Though nothing remarkable happens, but it will definitely keep you in track as sufficient suspense is presented there. It reminds me of "The Blair Witch Project (1999)" where the mental pressure of fear, mystery and suspense was more intense than those were graphically presented.

Erika Christensen (Jessica) and Nick Stahl (Jinx) looks perfect in it. Especially sweet and very sexy Erika did a decent job with the role. The unspoken chemistry between them was pleasurable.

Debutant Andrews Jenkins was creative both in writing the script and directing the movie. The theme with something new in it worked well.

Not highly recommended but yet enjoyable.

A well paced and lighthearted masterpiece.

Author: Alexander Blair-Turner from Australia
13 May 2011

The first thing I did after watching this film was take it to my friends house and watch it again. I was so taken up with the cast the witty lines and the hand to mouth existence that the main character personifies. The acting was superb with the feelings of each character portrayed so well that it's almost impossible to take your eyes off the screen. The timing of each line was done so masterfully you're drawn even further into the story. I've read some of the other reviews and I honestly believe that this film is worth far more than they're giving. It's lighthearted nature, range of believable and identifiable characters as well as the sheer brilliance of its time and pacing has made this one of my favorite films of all time.

Just sit back and enjoy yourself...and don't trust IBMD critics who vote 1 star

Author: Jon Doe from yourhdd
14 December 2010

The movie itself...Not a classic, not very memorable, and very, I mean VERY unrealistic.

Still, I say who cares? Some people take every issue so seriously. I was reading one reviewer who was whining about the screens on the computers in the movie that were on for probably a whole 30 seconds...huh? People take things way to seriously. As stated the movie itself isn't the best and the ending is kind of rushed, but it has some great actors(including the late David Carradine) and its a fun flick. So, If your like me and you don't care that someone's tie didn't match their shirt then check it out.

I give it a 6 and It deserves no less then a 5

Hot chick meets dude in vault

Author: p-stepien from United Kingdom
15 March 2010

My summary basically points out the only reason this movie may be worth the watch. Erika Christensen is extremely hot and she gets an enormous amount of screen time. If that's enough for you to watch a movie go for it. Else - pass on the experience.

Jinx (Nick Stahl) is having a bad day. Hungry and frustrated he tries to retrieve his 20 dollars from the ATM machine only to find out that he doesn't have enough funds to pay the $1.50 surcharge. Angry he heads to his local bank unaware it was being robbed. Panicking he locks himself in the bank vault with bank robber Jessica (Erika Christensen), whom he quickly ties up. The robbers want in, whilst Jinx wants out... and his 20 bucks.

The plot actually sounds promising and given a proper director with some feel for building the suspense it might actually work. This director however went for Fight Club type editing and a script trying so hard to be intelligent, that it fails to notice how stupid it is. Add to that some really poorly acted sequences and an absolute lack of suspense and this is what you get... One of the worse bank robbery movies in living memory.

It's okay..

Author: blaze9847 from United States
20 May 2008

This movie is okay for a rainy day.

The slow plot development can somewhat get annoying and the plot is overused and predictable with few minor changes. Not much thrill into the story, just slow. The ending was somewhat lame and left much to be hanging. The acting was decent with some slight humor from Terry Crews.

"Plot" About a man named Jason Taylor who was going into a bank to use the ATM to get money for food. As he learns the bank is being robbed and somehow manages to get locked in the vault with the robbers on the outside. Basically a cry of surplus charges and taking from the little guy.

Dialog is pretty cheesy at best...

If you're bored and there is nothing better.. Go for it.

Like getting little moments stolen from you until you have nothing left.

Author: Charlesc-5 from United States
4 June 2008

Sure this MAY contain spoilers, but the thing that will be more spoiled is your time by watching it. It took me a while to realize it was a "PG-13" movie, but then I realized I didn't hear any "naughty" words. This is a teenage bank robbery / hostage flick.

That would explain why people talk like teenagers, and that the cop in charge acts like a teenager, instead of like all of other hostage negotiators you may have seen in all of those "R" rated bank hostage movies. ("R" for "realistic") The biggest problem was that it was trying SO HARD to be funny, or witty, or whatever, and it was just STUPID.

Quick question for those who've seen the film. Do banks have PHONES any more? I believe they DO, but you wouldn't know it if you saw this movie. I just remember one ringing RIGHT AWAY with the cop in charge calling in like the first 3 minutes of just about every other bank hostage flick I've ever seen. I also remember the cop-in-charge REALLY knowing what he's doing, too, you know, like he's taken a class or something.

The thing that I find a real shame about this is that, technically, it was well made - all the pieces where there. The story wasn't really bad, as an outline. The DIALOG was a BIG problem, along with the lack of believable characters, and editing that was too smart for itself by way of "lock, stock and two smoking barrels" whose self-conscience style has infected cinema with its small-screen editing and overlays. Please give me a long shot and some atmosphere! There's one good thing about this film, however, Erika Christensen is HOT, and seriously, if it weren't for her, I would have stopped this within the first half hour.

An allegorical take on social dynamics.

Author: Avihoo Ilan from Israel
24 October 2009

While the title of this movie is "How to Rob a Bank", it had only scenic reference to bank robbing. This movie really is an allegory about social dynamics; how to be a master of your own destiny (rob a bank) instead of being moderated into a meaningless controlled life by society (pretty much having very little money after paying for charges, etc...). "How to Rob a Bank" is a good movie that can be easily misunderstood if taken as either an action movie, a thriller or a straight on comedy. It has a genre of its own and a powerful message. The acting is the strongest aspect of the movie and rightly so, in order to deliver that message. The movie could have been better if it had more time to emphasize and elaborate, but then the rather short runtime of the movie (81 minutes) were quite effective. If you do watch that movie, pay attention to social dynamics instead of technical bank robbing details.