IMDb > "'Til Death" (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"'Til Death"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"'Til Death" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

not quite so 'unhappily married'

Author: cherylllr from United States
12 October 2006

I read the first several messages on the board here, and people who don't like this show seem to be doing so for two main reasons - they think the longer-married couple is too bitter and unhappy, and they keep comparing the show to Everybody Loves Raymond. Well, I hope the show gets at least a few more episodes to reveal to those of you who aren't paying enough attention that Brad's character and his wife do really love each other and are trying to make their marriage better. A related idea the writers could emphasize is that the Woodcock's marriage will get stronger when the kids take off the rose-colored glasses and begin to love the people they married, not the idealized version of those people. And as for comparing to ELR, if you feel you absolutely must, this show is a lot kinder and more loving than that one.

Funny show

Author: SonicStuart from Kansas City, MO
7 September 2006

I think this show seems kind of promising, especially since Brad Garrett from "Everybody Loves Raymond" is the star of the show. Brad Garrett plays a guy named Eddie Stamm who is one of those unhappy married guys who has been married for over 8,000 days to his wife, Joy Stamm (Joely Fisher). Then one day a newlywed couple (Eddie Kaye Thomas and Kat Foster) moves in next door and they try to teach the newlyweds on how marriage actually works. I liked the jokes where Brad Garrett is teaching Eddie Kaye Thomas about his marriage life and how everything else is pretty obvious in marriage. I hope this show lasts. This show premiered on FOX, September 2006.

BOTTOM LINE: IF YOU LIKE BRAD GARRETT ON "RAYMOND" THEN YOU WOULD LIKE HIM ON THIS SHOW

Getting Better Every Week

Author: csselden
15 February 2007

Til Death is starting to hit its stride...last week's show which featured the guys at a belated bachelor party was the funniest yet.

Considering the lack of entertaining sitcoms on the air I am surprised FOX would give this show the death slot against Earl and Survivor...not a good idea and one they should reconsider.

I hope FOX figures out a way to attract better ratings or at least gives the show a couple of years...I would hate to see another quality comedy put to rest because of a terrible time slot.

I had my doubts for the first two or three episodes (mildly funny) but the scripts are improving each week...Kudos to Brad Garrett and the rest of the cast...also hope to see more of Will Sasso's character in future episodes.

Nothing New, But Garrett Makes it Funny

Author: asam3122 from United States
8 September 2006

I was never really a huge fan of "Everybody Loves Raymond," but Ray's brother (Garrett) was always my favorite character when I watched the show. Now, after "Raymond" has left the networks, Garrett goes onto his new project "'Til Death." The show is funny. It shows everyday situations that a lot can relate to. It tells about two sets of married couples, one thats been married for 24 years and one that's been married 12 days. While the newlyweds are deeply in love, Garrett and his wife seem to have a strained relationship. I hope this show sticks around for awhile.

With many great one liners, this show is a surefire hit with anyone who's married.

'Till Death + Kenny - Woodcocks = Death

Author: mel-chandler from Long Beach, CA
5 October 2008

I liked the original premise of the two couples, one young, one middle aged and the comedy of the differences between them. Kenny was funny as an occasional guest star, but having him all the time now and losing the Woodcoks (Jeff & Steph) has changed the show altogether to something that just isn't that funny anymore. I find myself hating Kenny more everyday and the show too. I caught one of the episodes they shot last season with the Woodcocks. It is out of place with the current story line, but a welcome break. I do so miss the Woodcocks. I do so hope that they bring the Woodcocks back for good. After these three episodes with them air and they're not back, I don't know how I can continue watching the show with Kenny and their current format.

Watch & See MisGuided Marriages Getting Guided

Author: getyourdander from United States
14 December 2006

Brad Garrett is the glue holding this together. Everybody else is playing off his character & he is doing fine, much the same way he did well on that Raymond series. In a way Garrett is the Raymond of this series. Fox has been giving this show a chance and is getting rewarded as the show is improving and the ratings are going up.

The scripts have had a wide range from somewhat funny to very funny. At first, it looked like these marriages between the two couples were totally different. The Woodcocks marriage was the eyes wide open smitten stage while Garretts union was the yes we've been together forever stage. The comedy was based upon laughing at how naive the Woodcocks were.

What has happened is that we are seeing the two marriages evolve. Woodcocks marriage is finding out it takes more than being smitten to make things work and they are learning to cope. Garretts marriage is finding out that even though they are comfortable they can still find heat and new things in their relationship. This is helping the show evolve into more than it was when it started.

The actress who is playing Garretts wife on this show is really evolving into a much better comedian as this show grows. Woodcocks wife who is supposed to be the young trophy one is still a bit up on the shelf so to speak. What is going to be interesting is to keep watching as the couples continue to change, in funny sort of ways each show.

There is some class warfare comedy undertones here as Garrett is the long time teacher & Woodcock is the young Administrator who is his boss. This helps the show along at times too.

Started out great...

Author: jazebelle from United States
22 August 2010

I've been watching 'Till Death since it's very first episode and I'm at season 4 now.

At the beginning I truly enjoyed this program and thought, what a fresh new start for Brad Garret playing a main role here instead of a supporting role in Everybody Loves Raymond (The episode where Ray Romano came in as an extra was absolutely hilarious)His character as Eddy is lovable, funny coupled with his dry wit and the bundle of jokes made at him about his height was pretty hilarious. And as for Joely Fisher who played Joy, well I can't really see anyone else in her role, she is great and the chemistry between Eddy and Joy is fantastic. Like some of the reviewers have mentioned here, it's easy to see that this couple are really in love with each other after the many years being married and they're much much kinder to each other compared to Deborah and Ray (Which I found over the board annoying - with her yelling and him cringing.) The series took it's hit after the Woodcocks left the show, but some how was salvaged when Kenny (Smoove) joined the line-up. I found him absolutely funny, natural and rather creative in his role. He brought back a little spark in the show, or may have added on more hilarity to what was already there.

However, the fact that they kept changing Allison Stark's character started making the show plunge even more. Played by various different actresses (Krysten Ritter, Lindsey Broad, Kate Micucci, Laura Clery), with Laura Clery by far being the worst actress on the show and ruined whatever image any of the viewers had for Allison Stark, (plus I don't get how she's the only one who has blond hair in the family), it was difficult to follow and get used to the constant change.

And then I think the show got more and more desperate to stay within it's required ratings so it wouldn't be written off, they kept introducing more new characters to the show which clearly showed how close to pathetic it was getting. Adding on more characters didn't necessarily make it any better, but brought it to an annoying level to which some viewers might just want to shut the T.V off. I'm for one a little sad to see how bad it had gotten since it started. But sometimes, I guess there's no one to blame for the show to go stale, the actors quit their roles to try on bigger things, and in a desperation level, the creators tried very hard to maintain the shows ratings, but alas it wasn't enough. I supposed the kindest thing that can be said about the show is that, the creators tried very hard to keep their audience and fans satisfied through many different lengths, but it just wasn't enough in the end. An A+ for effort.

Great Show then not so much

Author: drumax-759-417828 from United States
7 June 2010

I gave the show a 5 because it started out as a 9 and now is probably about a 2. I liked the show a lot when it was the older couple contrasted with the younger couple. I thought the show was real funny, both me and my wife looked forward to watching it. Now we watch it just to see what time its on now, who is playing the daughter now and try to make sense of all the changes made from show to show. What a disappointment to see such a great show turn into this.

They have made so many changes to the show from when it started till now that its not even the same show anymore. All the supporting characters have changed multiple times. The wife was working as a travel agent...then she seems to be working at the school. His next door neighbor is the principal, now he isn't on the show any more as well as his wife. The daughter has changed 3 or more times and now they seem to just be throwing in new characters willy nilly.

I must say that the show started off great. The juxtaposition between the older married couple and the newly married couple and how the characters worked together was great. The woodcocks (the younger couple) were great characters...the husband somewhat naive and slowly learning about his new wife's somewhat wild past, all the same a happy newly married couple. Then there is Brad Garrett and his wife who have been married forever and the effect this happy newlywed couple has on them...and more importantly the affect they have on the newly wed couple who see their future in the less than romantic life of a long married couple.

I think this show was the best sitcom on (not saying much these days) and genuinely funny until they just started tearing it apart, moving it around, until even people like myself who watched it regularly no longer even knew what it was about anymore. The biggest mistake was to remove the woodcocks, then to add Kenny who wasn't funny and was a poor replacement...I feel for Garrett who started off in what I felt was a funny possible hit and ended up in convoluted mess. How can someone care for characters and a show where the characters are all coming and going...all I can say is its a shame what happened to this funny show. If you can somehow catch the first shows with the woodcocks...watch them, they are worth watching...after that...its a convoluted mess.

Seen it

Author: kitkat61277 from United States
6 April 2006

My husband and I went to the taping of the pilot of this series and we were glad we did. The show was cute, the writing was realistic and funny, and the actors worked together wonderfully. Each line of dialogue was something that we've either heard from a family member or had said to each other in the course of our relationship. (The woman in the older couple asked her husband to look at the really icky paper cut she has on her hand...what wife hasn't done that?)Hopefully this gets picked up by the network and we can see the rest of the episodes. We know we'll watch it. (we saw this on our honeymoon and we thought it was so neat that the younger couple in the show was on day 12 of their marriage and so were we!)

Forget Jumping the Shark this show Adopts a Black Man

Author: skanklover_69 from Brisbane, Aust.
16 September 2013

This was actually quite a funny sitcom comedy for the first two season. The perky newly wed Woodcocks were in sharp contrast to the 20 year married Starks. I frequently laughed out loud and looked forward to watching it. There were plenty of pointed insights into relationships and married life in general.

Then something bizarre happened in season 3. The Woodcocks their next door neighbors disappear with no explanation offered & Eddie becomes big brother to a full grown black man (an absolutely ridiculous story line). Then the black man moves in with them. Then we have a cast of black characters added on. Were the producers including Brad Garrett who is also the lead actor cynically chasing urban African American TV ratings? Would love to know the thinking behind this.

The show becomes desperately unfunny immediately after that. The show then stopped after season 4. A mystery....

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]