IMDb > We Are Marshall (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Truly Moving Picture

Author: tollini from United States
24 November 2006

I saw this film on November 21st, 2006 in Indianapolis. I am one of the judges for the Heartland Film Festival's Truly Moving Picture Award. A Truly Moving Picture "…explores the human journey by artistically expressing hope and respect for the positive values of life." Heartland gave that award to this film.

This film is based on a true and tragic story. On November 14th, 1970, the Marshall University football team, football coaches, athletic staff, key alumni, and friends were flying home to Huntington, West Virginia after an away game against East Carolina. Their plane crashed killing all seventy five (75) aboard.

How do a University and a small town of 50,000 people respond to a massive tragedy that affected so many students and town residents? This movie is about their struggle to come to grips with that tragedy.

Without bitter rancor and with humility, some felt the University should start up a new football team and persevere through a long rebuilding process to honor the dead. Others, again without rancor and with humility, believed that starting up a football team would be too painful a reminder of the tragedy.

It was decided to start a new football team immediately and play the next season in 1971. This movie is primarily about the difficulties of the development of the team.

Matthew McConaughey plays the new Head Coach brilliantly and believably. He is a combination of country bumpkin enthusiastic huckster and a wise man. And he does it simply because he believes – "Maybe I can help." He displays courage and perseverance and makes sacrifices with a career move that could throw him out of his beloved profession, head football coaching, forever.

The town and University have to quickly break the Vince Lombardi-like notion that you play the game of football for one reason only – to win. They learn how you play the game matters, and even simply showing up is a kind of victory too.

This is a compelling story well told and very moving.

FYI – There is a Truly Moving Pictures web site where there is a listing of past Truly Moving Picture Award winners that are now either at the theater or available on video.

This is not just a sports movie!

Author: llogan1-1 from United States
14 December 2006

I graduated from Marshall University and grew up in Huntington, West Virginia, where the movie takes place, which of course, made this movie especially meaningful to me. I drove 300 miles to see the Premiere in Huntington two days ago, and the audience actually clapped during certain scenes, laughed quite a few times, and there wasn't a dry eye in the house at the end. Though it was extremely poignant for us West Virginians because there were people in the audience whose family members died in that horrible plane crash in 1970, and one of my high school friends was actually there at the crash site with her father who was a State Trooper, and I know other people who lost someone. However, aside from all that, this movie is extremely uplifting. When you are faced with such a horrendous tragedy as losing 75 people, 55 of whom were members of your football team with only a handful of players left as well as the head coach and family members of the football players and other university faculty, etc., it is completely devastating! I remember seeing scenes of the crash on TV, and it was horrible. And then to rebuild a team from scratch when no one even wanted to coach the Thundering Herd (Marshall's football team)? That's totally amazing!

And the way they went about it was ingenious! I didn't know a lot of the details of what happened after the crash or how hard it was to rebuild the team because I was 5 years old at the time, but the director/producer McG, the writer and all the actors really give you a sense of the horrendous loss that my hometown experienced and how they really did rise from the ashes to honor their teammates who perished on November 14, 1970. Even if you're not a sports fan, this movie shows the indelible spirit of the human condition and what you can accomplish if you really give 110%. Matthew McConauhey, Anthony Mackie and Matthew Fox and the entire cast gave absolutely incredible performances, and after the film ended Matt M and Matt Fox were both so choked up they could barely speak. And I guarantee that people who are not a little emotional after watching this film, then those folks didn't "see" what I saw--an Oscar-Winning film whether it gets nominated or not!

Lynne Logan Novelist/Screenwriter and very grateful fan of "We Are Marshall"

Very Surprising

Author: ccxjw from United States
16 December 2006

Wow...I just got back from a preview showing of "We Are Marshall," and I am still in shock I'll admit it, I originally only went to see this movie to see Matthew Fox. I mean I like football, but normally I wouldn't go to the theaters to see a movie on it. I expected it to be like a lot of sports movies--good, but repetitive and forgettable. However, I was completely wrong. The movie is excellent on so many levels. The acting is extremely good. Matthew Mcconaughey is extremely likable as the head coach, Matthew Fox is incredible as the assistant coach (especially his emotional scenes), and so is the supporting cast. The film itself is just extremely well-made as a whole, and extremely touching and moving.

Right now, I feel really bad that the movie hasn't gotten more buzz than it has. It was one of the best movies i've seen in a long time. I am surprised that it didn't get nominated for any Golden Globes because it really is probably better than a lot of the movies that got nominated. But really, it is an extremely good movie, and not just your typical, cliché, sports movie. It was such a nice surprise, and I am really glad i decided to see it.

We Are Marshall

Author: Philip Gainsbury from United Kingdom
8 December 2006

I was lucky enough to see an advanced screening of 'We Are Marshall' for audience research purposes therefore being part of the first audience in Britain to see the film.

We were given a brief plot description when offered the tickets which didn't interest me to be honest (I was more interested in seeing a free film!) So when I went to see it I didn't know what to expect, just that apparently it is supposed to be very good and quite emotional.

I was pleased to see that it managed to live up to that, as coming out of the cinema I felt it managed to stand by what I heard in being a very good film, in fact I would go so far as to say brilliant. Staying behind for a quick discussion about the film for research purposes, two people (including myself) rated the film as 'excellent', four rated it 'very good' and two (somewhat miserable and stubborn) people rated it 'good'.

In my opinion, the film manages to portray the death of the football team in a tasteful and respectful way, showing the emotions of the characters in the way the town cared for the team. However, shortly after the plane crash I felt that the film stumbled into a very slow and boring corner. Luckily about twenty minutes later, the film manages to pick up very well. I found the remaining hour of the film very enjoyable and emotional, with a few humorous lines from Matthew McConaughey.

I was also very pleased to see how well Matthew Fox managed starring in a feature film. Being only fifteen, my only knowledge of Fox is Jack form 'Lost'. I feel that he managed to play the character of Red very well - very quickly in the film, the role of Jack was soon forgotten.

The ending to the film is done very well and manages to keep you in suspense, despite a quite predictable result. I was also quite surprised how little knowledge of the game football is needed. Being English, I can't say I have ever seen a game of 'American' Football, let alone understand the rules - I found myself thoroughly enjoying the action packed games despite knowing nothing of the sport.

All in all, in my opinion this is a very, very good film which I strongly recommend. As said, I found a part of the film rather dull but felt 'We Are Marshall' delivered a second half so good, I soon forgot about it.

Go see this film!

Loved it!!!

Author: seagoddess76 from United States
16 December 2006

The critics seem to be trashing this movie, but for those of us who grew up in Huntington, WV, it was an amazing story and an incredible movie. I laughed, cried, cheered, and then cried some more. I have never been more proud of my hometown. This is not just a story about football. I'm sure you will hear that more than once. It is a story about getting back on your feet. Even when you think things are at their worst. This is a point the critics seem to miss. They compare it to Invincible and other football movies. Don't listen. GO SEE THIS MOVIE! I believe you will love it too! Even if you are not from Huntington, you will be able to relate if you have ever lost someone close. As one of the other posters put it...We are...Marshall!!! Go Herd!

Born and Bred Herd Fan comments on We Are Marshall

Author: mugirl25 from United States
14 December 2006

I was taken from the moment it started, crying within the first few minutes. I definitely cried more than I thought I would, but I also laughed and cheered. It is truly an all inclusive movie. I have herd this story on many occasions throughout my life, but I still feel that learned some things by watching the movie. I know that not all of it was historically accurate, but there are always things that Hollywood has to add to make things more interesting. I did notice a few mistakes, but only a couple, and they were things that a movie critic at heart, or someone from Huntington would notice (lucky for me, I am both). I was definitely impressed with the way my hometown was personified. Most films portray West Virginia as nothing but poor redneck hillbillies, but this movie has made a difference. I feel they really showed Huntington for what it is. The most touching moment for me involved our favorite rival...WVU. I do not know if it actually happened, but it took my breath away when I saw it. I won't tell you what it is, but you'll know when you see it. I was completely consumed during this movie. I was incredibly impressed with Matthew McConaughey and Matthew Fox's performances. These men WERE our coach and asst. coach. The only thing that distracted me was the local connections to some of the extras in the film. Other than that, I was completely sucked in. I don't want to give anything away, because I want you to experience it for yourself, but I promise to go see with all of my friends, no matter how many times that takes. Most people I know have told me that I am the biggest Marshall fan they know, and I hope that is true, because this is my passion, my pride. I hope that those of you who aren't as familiar with our history will learn some things and will be touched by the story. It is a wonderful movie. I highly recommend it to everyone. So go see it on Dec 22nd and enjoy! Don't forget to bring tissues, or grab some napkins at the concession stand like we did.

~Kelli~ WE ARE MARSHALL!!! 4 ever!

We Are ... Marshall is a must see

Author: jdp512 from United States
17 December 2006

As a parent of an existing student at MU, I feel every currently enrolled student, potential future student and their parents should see this film. Prior to my daughter's enrollment at MU, I had no idea of this tragedy. Even though one of the assistant coaches killed lived 5 minutes from me. In my daughter's years so far at MU, I've learned MU stands for tradition, history, and pride. This film depicts that in a most inspiring way. Matthew Fox deserves an award for his portrayal of Coach Red Dawson. Matthew McC. brings Coach Lengyel's personality alive on the big screen. The Director, McG, truly captured the emotion of the entire town. After seeing this film, I will never sit at that football stadium again without feeling the presence of 75 people looking down upon that field and smiling.

I have never been in a theater where complete silence occurred. Within 10 minutes of the start of the movie, the only sounds you heard were the sniffles of the audience. Yes, its tragic but this movie shows you never let the "licks" life hands you get the best of you and win. Not only on the football field but in real life. Go see the movie but bring tissues.

Great inspiring movie.. We Are Marshall

Author: JLeighSD from United States
22 December 2006

I went to watch the movie here in New York State. I absolutely loved the movie as did my entire family. I cried a lot but also laughed here and there. The movie was well done with only a few little things I noticed that were changed, but overall it was very true to the story I grew up with and the facts I know.

Matthew McConaughey and Matthew Fox did a wonderful job in their parts. I was quite impressed with every actor in the movie actually, they all did a fantastic job. McG did a great job in bringing the story to the screen. You were there in that time and during the tragedy and felt what Huntington went through.

As I left the movie, I thought about the ones who died in the plane crash and cried again. For those of you who haven't seen the movie or know the story this isn't just a story about loosing a football team. The crash also claimed members of the football staff and prominent people of the town of Huntington. The other players in other sports lived in the dorms with the football players who perished. They felt the impact when returning to school and all those faces now gone from their halls. The staff was down to almost nothing. The citizens that died included doctors, lawyers, a car dealership owner, dentist,a council member for Huntington and radio announcers for the herd. So, you can see this impacted the town in a way most won't or don't understand. If you watch the movie you can see how it effects everyone. I would like to now take a moment to remember those who passed .................................................................. We will never forget you.

In the end this movie is about moving on, dealing with your grief or loss and how to live again. How as to rise above the ashes and move forward as it is said in the movie.

I think people of 20 years of age and older will love this movie. I ran into several people of these age ranges that asked me questions and told of how they were going to tell their friends to go see the movie as well. I hope this movie touches and shows everyone how to rise from the ashes and move forward. In today's world of tragedies this is a movie that will touch you if you have dealt with a tragedy yourself. So, I think several people will be able to relate to this movie and find it inspiring.

Being a Huntington native I will always bleed green. GO HERD!!!! We Are ......................................... Marshall.

Great Movie!

Author: treywolfe from United States
11 December 2006

This was really a great movie for anyone that's spent time in West Virginia. I was very surprised at some of the things McG chose to cover in the movie. For instance, the Marshall coaching staff took a trip to Morgantown to ask Bobby Bowden (WVU) to teach them the veer. Everyone I've spoken to that is a WVU student or fan had no idea that happened, nor did anyone from Huntington. Very Emotional on many levels and I thought the writers, producers, and director really did the town of Huntington some justice by making it as real as possible and not "hollywoodville." There were some things that you could tell were thrown in there to make the story more dramatic, but the story was dramatic from the very beginning. You should really waste the 7 bucks to see this one....cause its absolutely worth it.

Better than Rudy

Author: JEBeezie52 from Georgia
22 December 2006

While I understand some Marshall alumni, students, and fans may have bitter feelings toward the movie, I do not think McG could have produced or directed a better film! The feeling you get when watching the movie is indescribable and can certainly touch those of us who were not alive when the crash happened. After seeing this and crying so much I can't even imagine what it must have been like nearly forty years ago. It is an amazing and truly inspiring story that has touched my heart greatly! The actors showed amazing emotions and attitudes which honestly made the movie. This is a must see for everyone - whether you like sports, are a WVU fan, or were around or not around when the crash occurred.

Page 1 of 18:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]