IMDb > The Last Sentinel (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Last Sentinel

The Last Sentinel More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Oh. My. God. What a bad movie.

Author: Benjamin Scott from United States
15 May 2007

This is the worst movie I've seen in some time. It starts off with a mildly interesting -- if rather unoriginal -- premise: Man's technology has turned against it's creator. This has been done a million times, of course, but it can still yield an entertaining action flick if done well.

This was not done well.

The script must have been painful to read. I would feel sorry for any actor asked to work with such excrement. To see Don Wilson and Katee Sackhoff, both of whom have much more potential, forced to wade through this quagmire was just sad. You know you've got script problems when the best dialog comes from a crazy, talking gun.

A plot would have been nice, too. And, no this movie doesn't have a plot. It has a premise. There's a difference. The entire movie consists of: "These are the bad guys. They shoot at us. We shoot at them." There were endless scenes of running and gunning, with a few scenes of sitting talking about the next/previous run-and-gun scene.

One major annoying aspect was that the movie couldn't seem to make up it's mind if Katee Sackhoff was supposed to be the tough, independent type or the "maiden in distress" type.

The absolutely gratuitous and completely unbelievable romantic parts were just pathetic. It was like somebody said, "Insert a romantic gesture here." Monotonous sets, and only two of them. Footage was re-used. Annoying, obvious clichés (storm troopers in masks, bad guys who cannot hit anything they shoot at, tracking device in the skull). Outright contradictions in places.

The only reason I give it 2 and not 1 is that the pyro effects and sets, while totally uninspired, were at least competently done.

The best part of this movie is the ending. Not the final scenes -- the fact that it ended.

Do not waste your time on this...

Author: imdb-7644 from Canada
10 March 2007

Well, if you force yourself to sit thru more than 15 minutes in the beginning, hoping to see something better towards the end -- don't. Not that the movie is in decline -- it's pretty flat with nothing to work for it. By no means the idea (future dominated by armored robots) is original, but that's not the worst part -- the screenplay is just horrible, full of clichés and lines so cheesy, the fat is dripping.

Basically what you're watching is 90 minutes of gunfighting. Gunfighting so badly scripted, you wonder if the writer ever saw the Heat. Crossing the line of fire, shooting from the hip, never reloading and to top it off -- diving in the water to escape the detonation device immersed in the water.

If you're of a military folk, you might watch it as a laughing material, but if you're not, the only reason you might want to watch this movie if you're the family member of the cast/crew.

The writer and director is a brilliant stunt-man who had worked on MI:3, The Terminator, etc. All the sadder to see this movie suck this bad.

unbelievably bad

Author: rcragun from United States
20 May 2007

For some reason I thought going into this that this was a new mini-series on SciFi for Katee Sackholm since Battlestar is supposedly closing up shop after the next season. I probably don't need to tell you that I was wrong, but boy am I glad I was. This was such a terrible movie on so many levels.

First, there is absolutely no character development - None! Seriously! And, of course, that doesn't keep the two main characters from having sex, 'cause, well, that's what a guy and a girl in a super low budget awful film do.

Add to the lack of character development the completely re-hashed plot idea (robots take over the world - Terminator, The Matrix, and hundreds of other films) and the unbelievably undeveloped story line and you get a terrible, terrible film.

As I was watching it I kept looking to my wife and saying, "And this is what happens when you shoot a movie without an actual script. You see, you just set up a whole bunch of fight sequences and then say action and film." I've never been in the military and I could have given the film more realistic guidance on how soldiers behave in war.

Rarely do I sit and hope for a film to end, but I did with this one. Sci-Fi should funnel its money into the programs it cares about - its series, not these ridiculous, written-by-monkeys, movies.

Don't watch this

Author: Jonathan Cressman from Sunnyvale, California
9 March 2007

For those of you who just have to watch this because you are a Battlestar fan or a Don Wilson fan, don't. The plot is incomplete or the last part of the plot was lost in editing, I'm not sure, but I'm grateful that the movie wasn't any longer. Most of the movie is overly long battle scenes. The quality of the gun fights is probably slightly better than a typical Stargate episode. Dialog is awful. You can watch this movie with out the sound. If you are watching the movie for the Katee Sackhoff shower scene it is at minute 32. The movie isn't going to get any better after that. In fact it will finish ***SPOILER*** with the last drone cop running out of ammo and fighting Don Wilson in a sword fight.

Don, Katee, Keith - what did you do ?

Author: devus from Australia
14 April 2007

If I reach for the fast forward during a film then anything above a 1 is just not what people want to hear. Sure this is a low budget flick, but how many mindless men in black storm trooper suits do you kill before the addition of a meaningful plot is necessary. The props in your average furniture store had been looking computers.

Three great leading actors I would offer one piece of advice, Read the script before you commit. Any single episode of BSG, Spawn or don movie is better than this. What happened! Honestly I would give this a miss, there are a whole lot more movies I would rather see twice than recommend this one even once. Sorry dud.

Cheap, unimaginative, boring... waste of time

Author: ribicb
2 November 2007

Where do I start - movie started with an interesting monologue that made me think its actually worth watching. But everything later was one disappointment after another.

For starters, action scenes are too long and repetitive. It seems like they tried to fill the void with guys in black rubber suits and blue goggles marching and some horror music playing in the background... oooooh, so frightening! There are lots of (long) shooting scenes where super-soldiers were too dumb to take cover but instead stood still in plain sight - no wonder they got slaughtered.

Most of the movie is in ruins with the girl and hero guy and very few other actors, lot of survivalist crap one-liners, absolutely predictable plot and cardboard characters.

Storyline is very weak, seems it was either written for a 12-year-old or by a 12-year-old, its hard to tell which is it.

And I only gave it a three (and watched the whole thing) because of Katee Sackhoff aka Starbuck, because I like BSG series a lot and respect the actors there - this movie is total and utter nonsense that deserves subzero ratings.

Last soldier...

Author: Frank Markland from United States
13 May 2007

Don Wilson stars as Tallis an elite soldier who is sent in to wipe out the drones. Seems the drones are robotic police officers who are trying to wipe out humans (Although they aren't seen doing anything outside of shooting at Wilson) and our burned out hero is aided by Katee Sackhoff who inspires him to fight to the death, in this completely routine Sci-Fi action flick. The only thing The Last Sentinel has in its favor is that it far exceeds any Sci-Fi channel movie, however the reason is because The Last Sentinel wasn't made for the Sci-Fi channel and hence why the movie is competently made even if it isn't all that interesting. Don Wilson is okay in the lead role and some of the shootouts are well staged, but generally this is mediocre stuff that doesn't leave much of an impression. The movie is so underwritten that one can't get into it, while surprisingly Wilson doesn't use any of his kick-boxing skills. Well he might kick somebody once but generally he uses his talking gun to fight these assembly line villains without so much as breaking a sweat. The cast includes Steven Bauer (Far away from his Scarface days, poor Steven) Bokeem Woodbine (Far away from his Freeway days) and Keith David (Far away from his The Thing and They Live days) who only contribute cameos. Once again this is a fairly well made B.movie but it's really nothing you haven't seen before and for the most part this is forgettable fodder only for undemanding viewers or fans of the star.

* * out of 4-(Fair)

A very decent entry from a genre over populated with lesser films

Author: gdpwatson from United Kingdom
24 March 2007

Phew! After reading some of the heavy handed 'reviews' here I thought i'd drop by and add my two cents.

Whilst i feel that "The Last Sentinel" fails to live up to the standard set by director Jesse Johnson in his previous film i still think that it ranks as a top notch low budget action film. What turned me onto Johnson was his previous film "Pit Fighter" which i thoroughly enjoyed due to the intensity and rawness of the fight scenes. With Don Wilson on board for this i was expected some more of the same but in hindsight as a newish director i prefer the fact that he's not trying to rest on his laurels and is trying new things as far as he himself is concerned.

So what's so great about "The Last Sentinel"? Well for a low budget film it looks great. Admittedly the majority of the film is quite clearly set in the back lot of some film studio, but what it succeeds in doing is creating a gritty atmosphere that matches the imagery used within the film. I actually feel that "The Last Sentinel" manages to successfully convey an epic feel to proceedings and would go so far as to say that this alone raises this film above many similar entries within the genre.

What else works in favour of the film? Well i have to say that i never thought i'd be able to see Katee Sackhoff as anything other than Starbuck, and with this film being a sci-fi actioner i thought it'd be even harder to see a distinction, but in "The Last Sentinel" Sackhoff delivers a performance that manages to separate her character in every respect from the cigar smoking, hot-headed viper pilot from the Galactica. Fans of Katee might not be happy with her acting in a low budget action flick for fear of this holding her back from a more mainstream audience and to this i have 2 things to say; first of all you have to start somewhere and, as great an actress as Katee is, you can't really expect someone whose first break through role is in a science fiction television series (regardless of the critical acclaim its been receiving) to land Oscar worthy material; secondly Katee delivers a quality performance here and if you are a Katee fan then you'll not be disappointed.

Just to wrap this up i'd like to mention Wilson's performance in this. Let's face it the biggest draw for this flick will be to fans of 'The Dragon' so it's only fair the man gets some mention considering so many people have focused on Katee Sackhoff. It's disappointing that Wilson doesn't get to unleash a barrage of kick ass kick-boxing moves but in every other respect he delivers. Don't get me wrong, his performance in the film is on an even standing with the standards set by himself throughout his career however here he has never looked so good! He's a rough, tough battle hardened veteran and he looks it!

So in conclusion people let's not forget what we have here, a low budget action film starring Don 'The Dragon' Wilson and Katee Sackhoff, directed by a man fresh in his (directing) career where the intention is to deliver a fun trip for all involved. Sure it might not be the most original of films but in a genre defined by such things how can you mark this against it? I've watched loads of similar films in my time and this is one of the few times where i find myself genuinely happy when the credits rolled. Sure it could have done with some decent martial arts fights but that's my personal opinion and i'll not hold that against it. Fans of the genre should check this out and rest assured you're gonna be getting one of the better offerings that the market has to offer.

really quite appalling

Author: john_twigger-1 from Brazil
19 March 2007

I decided to check this film out because I am a fan of battlestar . After about 15 minutes I thought "this is dire" and had a quick look onto IMDb which didn't make me feel any better. The plot makes little sense, the film just moves from one absurd gunfight to another. Wooden acting, inane dialogue, props that could belong in a school play, good grief, even a steven seagal movie rates better than this, and that's saying something. You will really kick yourself for a waste of time watching this. I am so dumbstruck by the mediocrity of this movie that I'm having trouble meeting the minimum comment length requirements of IMDb.

Who thought that this movie was a good idea

Author: jmacefield2001 from United Kingdom
16 March 2007

Please, please do not punish yourself by watching this movie. I wonder why i actually sat through this movie, maybe because i thought it mite get better. i was wrong and it doesn't get better.

It is like watching paint dry, you think if you sit there long enough you may see something happen. the talking gun was fun at first but then you wanted something horrible to happen to it.

It starts cheesy, continues cheesy and ends withe more cheese. i thought this film would have had something good to offer. sadly it doesn't.

Please do not watch this movie it could put you off them for life

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]