IMDb > "Friday Night Lights" (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Friday Night Lights"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Friday Night Lights" More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 28: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [Next]

Perfection

Author: Hollywood_doll from United States
12 April 2007

The first word that comes to my mind is "realistic".

1. Every character was casted perfectly. They found 26 year olds who are not only talented, but can pass for 18 as well. (Possibly, with the exception of Matt Saracen who looks more like a senior than a sophomore) Also, it helps that some of them are nice to look at.

2. It's not sappy. When a character is getting ready to break down or blow a fit, we see them look like they are about to cry--when it goes to a commercial. Some call this the inability to act, but I say that it's excellent directing. Let's face it, who likes to watch people break down and cry on screen, especially the big tough football players? I don't. The director leaves it up to you to understand what is going on, how the character is feeling, and picture the rest of their reaction. That's part why I think this show works so well; by doing this is allows us to explore the depths of each person and not just be spoon fed their emotions. It makes us dig so much deeper into their minds.

3. I hate how in movies, there will be tons of extras doing one thing, and then it flashes to the main characters doing something else. But in FNL if you look hard enough, you can see Smash or Riggin's brother, or Tami in a crowd of extras, acting as their character would. Smash is surrounded by guys and girl laughing at him, Tami is talking to some woman, Riggin's brother is alone. I like this because this is what life is really like; the people you know aren't going to be standing off to the side for you, we all blend together with strangers.

4. It's adds humor. Just their facial expressions when they are ticked off, or the Coach's reaction when he finds out his daughter is the quarterback in a powder puff game are enough.

5. The plot is lifelike- each person has issues and handles them in a matter that a normal person would. They don't go doing this outrageous (and stupid) things that people normally do on TV. They act like a person would, and I enjoy that because it makes me feel like I'm not alone in my struggles. I know that there is a "conflict" in every story, but if the character's reaction is unrealistic, I can't see it as anymore than a story. In this show, I really connect with the characters. I understood how Smash felt when he was presented with the steroids and I felt Tami's pain when Julie was talking about having sex. I was never in Tami's position either but she was portrayed so accurately, I felt as though I knew her every move. This goes for the rest of the characters as well.

I can't find any faults. 10/10

The best new TV of 2006

Author: Pro Jury
24 October 2006

= May contain spoilers. =

Most all of the new drama series premiering in the 2006/2007 TV season are far, far above average for network TV. Without a doubt, Friday NIGHT LIGHTS is the very best of the lot.

No car chases. No "unscripted" reality overstuffed with American coffee achievers. No $1.98 GONG SHOW talent search. Friday NIGHT LIGHTS (affectionately known as FNL by fans) combines a serial drama about intense personal pressures together with the striving, determined energy of a Stallone sports movie. Fast pacing. Top shelf quality. Appealing competent actors. Compelling drama.

The always underrated Kyle Chandler skillfully leads a cast of lesser-knowns. Chandler plays Eric Taylor, a high school football coach in the American heartland of Dillon, Texas -- a place where football is not a sport, it is a prideful unchecked obsession. Dillon football squads are longtime state champions, and Eric Taylor is the new coach who is expected to do the impossible with this year's troubled team. By every measure, Coach Taylor is an ideal role model. Although heavily stressed by the pressures of his job, Taylor is a sincere hard-worker, a decent husband, a loving father, and is a tough-as-nails man's man when the need arises. If the Six Million Dollar Man was ever a hero to every American boy, Coach Eric Taylor is the hero for all of these boys who are now middle aged men.

Coach Taylor's wife and daughter are normal, regular people. All of them face a daily onslaught of pushy townsfolk who demand that each Friday night football game ends with a "W" (a win). Come Friday night, the retail businesses of Dillon, Texas, are closed. The streets are deserted. The universe centers around the Friday game. I personally never watch sports, but I love the drama of FNL. Friday NIGHT LIGHTS is a winner!

I loved it

Author: gamerlife2009 from United States
23 April 2007

Personally I loved the show, I thought it was a incredibly accurate portrayal of Texas football (trust me i'm a high school student in Texas). Everyone who doesn't care for the show has one of two reasons. One: they believe the show is based off the move. Not true, NBC simply bought the name, not the story. Two: They complain about the camera shaking. Guess what, if you look at a lot of successful shows, the camera shakes (i.e. the office, arrested development). but really i think if you like the show or not can depend on how your high school was like. If you got beat-up by football players then of course you wont. If your school was more of a baseball, or soccer school then you wont understand it.But if your like me and go to a high school in Texas where Football is king, then you will not only fully understand it, but to'll also love it.

I pray for season 2

Author: DirtyGoat from United States
5 April 2007

This is the best show on TV right now. I really hope NBC goes for season 2-- they just need to give this show a chance. I really don't understand where the very few negative reviews are coming from- they seem hung up on the shaky camera work. well guess what: it's shot that way because the scenes are not rehearsed and only roughly blocked so the camera man is simply trying to catch the action. and i DO think it adds to the realism of the show-- and the performances are all excellent. This show has some of the best writing and character relationships of any TV show in recent memory. That's why i watch it-- not because of the football. Honestly I'm not even a sports fan. But these characters are so emotionally involving I'm at the edge of my seat come game time on FNL. Watch it-- you won't be disappointed.

Captures the Drama of Playing High School Football

Author: waynelyle13 from United States
29 November 2007

The first thing I noticed was that the acting was a little shaky, but you have to understand that this is a new show with relatively young actors. So of course, the acting is going to be questionable. I feel that this show does an excellent job at capturing the drama of high school football. The intensity, the anticipation for game night, feuds between teammates, relationships off the field, rivalries, heartbreaking injuries, pressure from the town, etc. If you enjoy football and know what it's like playing high school football, then you will love this show. Just have to be able to look past the questionable acting and camera work.

We LOVE Friday Night Lights!

Author: babyrobsmom from United States
22 October 2007

What a shame it would be if NBC listened to half the comments on here, and did cancel this great show! I can't even understand what there is to hate or complain about it...really. I don't think there are enough realistic, down to earth shows. We absolutely love this show!! The acting is great, the drama, the plot...we love it all! Maybe its because we're from TX, and football IS a big deal here, who knows. Either way this show isn't even all about football...there's so much more to it. To everyone who thinks this show isn't worth watching, should be cancelled, or is "bad" TV...do us all a favor and stop watching! Let us "Friday Night Lights" fans watch our show! NBC, PLEASE DON'T CANCEL Friday NIGHT LIGHTS!!!

This is how TV should be...

Author: jocrane14 from United States
12 October 2007

First of all... all the people writing in and saying that this show is awful are full of it. GO watch Sex and the City for your unrealistic nonsense. This show is real and moving. It's not about football. My wife hates football and she is addicted to FNL. It is emotional and has real people. The actors have real accents and they are actually believable. I don't care what anyone says, this is one of the best shows on Television and it wont make it to Christmas. There are a few flaws in it I admit. (Football scenes are great, the camera moving back and forth makes you dizzy sometimes). But the actors have chemistry and the story seems plausible. I just bought the first season for 20 bucks and that was money well spent...

Full Hearts...

Fantastic show

Author: paclingan from United States
18 October 2007

I'd read the book and loved the movie, but I put off watching the show because I didn't think that there was any way a TV series could deliver the same emotional impact.

I was wrong.

The show is fantastic and I hope it has a long and healthy run.

It's melodrama. It's soap opera. That being said, it rings true and captures the tone and angst of small-town, middle-class America, which is the backbone of its culture.

And the show is beautifully shot.

Actors don't have to worry about hitting their marks in what feels like an artificially stillness in most shows. Rather the camera chases the story and captures the emotion as if it were unfolding right before our eyes through a fractal of hyper-realism.

Beautifully done and totally absorbing

Author: hhmunro1 from United States
16 October 2007

I came into this show late and reluctantly, but I've really fallen in love with it. While FNL is a show that takes some effort to get into, it is one of the few TV shows on these days that offers viewers a really rewarding and thoughtful experience rather than shallow entertainment. Viewers who come in to FNL expecting the traditional still four camera system might be in for a shock; the camera-work on FNL has much more in common with that now in vogue for movies than other television shows, and for this show it appears creative, fluid, and beautiful. It gives it a documentary-style feeling, as if the people depicted truly exist, and if the camera were to wander a little to the left or right it would capture fragments of someone else's story. The characters are rich and multi-faceted, and the dialogue and plot-lines merge intelligent humor with tension and drama. Please do yourself a favor and give this show a chance!

One of the best shows ever!!!!!!!!

Author: ptrlmerkle from United States
12 October 2007

I really have no idea how someone can watch this show and not love it. This is hands down the best drama on TV, and I'm very scared that this will be canceled. It was moved to Friday night, when the people who would be watching it are actually at high school football games, so the only people at home are the people who bash the show and just don't like football. By the way, the show is not just about football. It does an excellent job of letting us get to know the characters, and the acting is superb. I've read some posts on this site, and everyone who is bashing the show is talking about the "shaking" of the camera. That has not bothered me one bit, because it is similar to another one of my favorite dramas in the way it's filmed, "The Shield". I really hope this show lives on, because the last thing we need on TV is another reality or attractive male doctor show.