IMDb > "Friday Night Lights" (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Friday Night Lights"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Friday Night Lights" More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 26: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

This show has fallen from my good graces

Author: mbriesch from California
6 March 2008

After watching season 1 I could honestly say this show was worth a 9. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I felt it was a good departure from the every day sitcom and TV shows on broadcast television. Most of the characters were well developed, the stories were varied and hard hitting and the acting was very well done. The only gripe I have had about it are the football scenes. These have been extremely unbelievable because the team has to come from behind in nearly every game. How is it possible that a state championship team barely ever dominates games and has difficulties with nearly every opponent?? The actual game scenes barely consume any of the show though, so it can be taken as a minor flaw.

I was stoked to watch the new season when it came on in the Fall, but I was less than enthralled. The problem I find is that the show has started to focus the stories way too much on the romantic relationships of the characters. At times, I found myself wondering if the show was going to be comprised of anything else. I guess the show is at a high school, and relationships are what high schools tend to gravitate towards, but that wasn't the case as much in the stellar first season. The first season had it's share of boy/ girl drama, but there was much more to the show to keep the viewer intrigued (Streets struggle with the wheelchair, Smash and his superstar dreams, Riggins being parent-less, etc.)I feel this is a tactic that NBC has deployed so that it can appeal more to the teen audience. I will probably give FNL another chance, but if the shows remain love centric, than I'm calling it quits.

well written

Author: maura-miller from United States
12 April 2007

I think this translated really well from the film to a television series. I like the changes they made, I think they left a good amount of room for story lines to grow and to develop the characters. The cast works really well together they have a lot of chemistry. I like the relationship that the coach's family has with the rest of the cast the coach is not only the coach on the team, but he and his family are mentors for the whole town. I like the new character they introduced as a love interest for Jason Street. I think she could be a really great character. I like that the whole focus of the show is not just football, but it does connect everything. I hope this show gets picked up for another season because I found it very entertaining and well written show.

One of the best shows on TV!!

Author: from United States
4 November 2007

First of all..its original..thank God its not another reality show..or a lets analyze this stick of gum to found out whodunnit crime scene murder drama or some hospital-based show. original plot twists, good drama, refreshing characters, entertaining. With the complaining about the filming technique you would think it was filmed during an earthquake..come on people stop whining, its not that bad..and actually adds to the "realness" of the show.No show is perfect but this one is better than most. If you haven't seen it..its still one of the best..even with the annoying murder-plot twist..which is a lot less like FNL and a lot more like CSI.

A great television show about football.

Author: polkadotprude from United States
23 February 2007

'Friday Night Lights' is unlike other TV shows for many reasons, namely being it is not about the glitz and the glamor of other TV shows. I love this show and I'm not even a big football fan or follower.

Parts of the show are slightly far fetched, but the whole premise of the show is about a football team in the small Texan town of Dillon. Football is central to all things in this community. But when the star quarterback (Jason Street played by Scott Porter) is permanently injured in the first game of the season, the new head coach, Eric Taylor (Kyle Chandler) has to readjust the whole team and plans for the season. The whole does not only revolve around this tragedy. It concentrates on various players lives, on and off the field.

Every episode contains some comedy, drama and of course, there is always suspense around the games.

The odd camera working and angles have been one of the central many complaints of this show, but the truth is, it creates an atmosphere of observance. Instead of feeling like an audience member, a viewer can feel more like they're immersed within the lives of these characters themselves.

Don't consider this a television show like others, it shouldn't be compared that way. While watching the show, consider the concept of a mockumentary (although 'Friday Night Lights' is not one), that instead of the viewer watching a prerecorded story progress, they are experiencing it.

Football is about experience. The working of the camera angles, the dialogue of the characters and the story line allow the viewer to become fascinated in all aspects of the lives of this small town and their football team.

One of the most intelligent and touching shows on TV

Author: sadach from Canada
4 June 2007

I disagree with a lot of the comments about this show being "bad" and the shaky camera work. I would suspect that those who don't like Friday Night Lights would tend to prefer the manufactures, soapy qualities of shows like the O.C. The camera work, while shaky, gives the show the gritty feel required to make the plot work. The episodes are well scripted and the show manages to touch on realistic situations that involve both the pleasant and unpleasant sides of life. I would give the show a chance past the first episode, as the show's plot and complexities really take more than one episode to develop. I think you might find that after watching a few episodes, it would be very difficult to not relate at all to a character, to not find the show to be touching. While it's a lot less high drama than Grey's or the OC, it's intelligent and realistic, and certainly more believable.

Some hated it and Some Liked it.

Author: jilliesl
6 June 2007

Well. First of all. The first time I saw FNL I thought it'll be boring. I'm the typical TV watcher who watches what I see is cool or funny or great. Maybe I felt the same way like the others who doesn't like FNL.

Until I continued to watch it for a couple of episodes. I got interested. I don't know why but it seems to be good as it gets along. The story is about a family with the dad having been the football coach. The daughter is the high school teenager who experiences everything a girl should experience. The mom is hardworking and house committed mother. Other subjects include the lives of the football players. The cheerleaders. The conflicts between families and other marital problem. It was kind of like NBC's past series,,, American Dreams (which I love also but they cancelled it.) only that AD's time plot is in the 60's.

Now I've just read the Television Critics Association nominations which also includes 30 Rock, Ugly Betty, Lost, American Idol, The Sopranos and many other great TV series..And there is FNL. I never thought it would be there but I feel great and satisfied about it. Sometimes, TV shows that seemed to be like "BORING" may not be that type anymore when you continue watching it. It's not the typical teenage series like The OC or the One Tree Hill though there's an obvious resemblance to the teenage plot.

It all got what we wanted. A family, A group of Friends, Boyfriends/Girlfriends, Marital Problems, School, Work, Team, and the aura of a good television program.

I say Friday Night Lights deserve some watchers.

Perfection

Author: Hollywood_doll from United States
12 April 2007

The first word that comes to my mind is "realistic".

1. Every character was casted perfectly. They found 26 year olds who are not only talented, but can pass for 18 as well. (Possibly, with the exception of Matt Saracen who looks more like a senior than a sophomore) Also, it helps that some of them are nice to look at.

2. It's not sappy. When a character is getting ready to break down or blow a fit, we see them look like they are about to cry--when it goes to a commercial. Some call this the inability to act, but I say that it's excellent directing. Let's face it, who likes to watch people break down and cry on screen, especially the big tough football players? I don't. The director leaves it up to you to understand what is going on, how the character is feeling, and picture the rest of their reaction. That's part why I think this show works so well; by doing this is allows us to explore the depths of each person and not just be spoon fed their emotions. It makes us dig so much deeper into their minds.

3. I hate how in movies, there will be tons of extras doing one thing, and then it flashes to the main characters doing something else. But in FNL if you look hard enough, you can see Smash or Riggin's brother, or Tami in a crowd of extras, acting as their character would. Smash is surrounded by guys and girl laughing at him, Tami is talking to some woman, Riggin's brother is alone. I like this because this is what life is really like; the people you know aren't going to be standing off to the side for you, we all blend together with strangers.

4. It's adds humor. Just their facial expressions when they are ticked off, or the Coach's reaction when he finds out his daughter is the quarterback in a powder puff game are enough.

5. The plot is lifelike- each person has issues and handles them in a matter that a normal person would. They don't go doing this outrageous (and stupid) things that people normally do on TV. They act like a person would, and I enjoy that because it makes me feel like I'm not alone in my struggles. I know that there is a "conflict" in every story, but if the character's reaction is unrealistic, I can't see it as anymore than a story. In this show, I really connect with the characters. I understood how Smash felt when he was presented with the steroids and I felt Tami's pain when Julie was talking about having sex. I was never in Tami's position either but she was portrayed so accurately, I felt as though I knew her every move. This goes for the rest of the characters as well.

I can't find any faults. 10/10

The best new TV of 2006

Author: Pro Jury
24 October 2006

= May contain spoilers. =

Most all of the new drama series premiering in the 2006/2007 TV season are far, far above average for network TV. Without a doubt, Friday NIGHT LIGHTS is the very best of the lot.

No car chases. No "unscripted" reality overstuffed with American coffee achievers. No $1.98 GONG SHOW talent search. Friday NIGHT LIGHTS (affectionately known as FNL by fans) combines a serial drama about intense personal pressures together with the striving, determined energy of a Stallone sports movie. Fast pacing. Top shelf quality. Appealing competent actors. Compelling drama.

The always underrated Kyle Chandler skillfully leads a cast of lesser-knowns. Chandler plays Eric Taylor, a high school football coach in the American heartland of Dillon, Texas -- a place where football is not a sport, it is a prideful unchecked obsession. Dillon football squads are longtime state champions, and Eric Taylor is the new coach who is expected to do the impossible with this year's troubled team. By every measure, Coach Taylor is an ideal role model. Although heavily stressed by the pressures of his job, Taylor is a sincere hard-worker, a decent husband, a loving father, and is a tough-as-nails man's man when the need arises. If the Six Million Dollar Man was ever a hero to every American boy, Coach Eric Taylor is the hero for all of these boys who are now middle aged men.

Coach Taylor's wife and daughter are normal, regular people. All of them face a daily onslaught of pushy townsfolk who demand that each Friday night football game ends with a "W" (a win). Come Friday night, the retail businesses of Dillon, Texas, are closed. The streets are deserted. The universe centers around the Friday game. I personally never watch sports, but I love the drama of FNL. Friday NIGHT LIGHTS is a winner!

I loved it

Author: gamerlife2009 from United States
23 April 2007

Personally I loved the show, I thought it was a incredibly accurate portrayal of Texas football (trust me i'm a high school student in Texas). Everyone who doesn't care for the show has one of two reasons. One: they believe the show is based off the move. Not true, NBC simply bought the name, not the story. Two: They complain about the camera shaking. Guess what, if you look at a lot of successful shows, the camera shakes (i.e. the office, arrested development). but really i think if you like the show or not can depend on how your high school was like. If you got beat-up by football players then of course you wont. If your school was more of a baseball, or soccer school then you wont understand it.But if your like me and go to a high school in Texas where Football is king, then you will not only fully understand it, but to'll also love it.

I pray for season 2

Author: DirtyGoat from United States
5 April 2007

This is the best show on TV right now. I really hope NBC goes for season 2-- they just need to give this show a chance. I really don't understand where the very few negative reviews are coming from- they seem hung up on the shaky camera work. well guess what: it's shot that way because the scenes are not rehearsed and only roughly blocked so the camera man is simply trying to catch the action. and i DO think it adds to the realism of the show-- and the performances are all excellent. This show has some of the best writing and character relationships of any TV show in recent memory. That's why i watch it-- not because of the football. Honestly I'm not even a sports fan. But these characters are so emotionally involving I'm at the edge of my seat come game time on FNL. Watch it-- you won't be disappointed.