IMDb > "Friday Night Lights" (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Friday Night Lights"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Friday Night Lights" More at IMDbPro »

Page 19 of 28: [Prev][14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [28] [Next]

Best Show On TV

Author: Mike Monda from North Dakota
17 July 2009

I'm not sure why everyone is ripping this show. Friday Night Lights is the best show on TV. No other show goes as in-depth into the characters. It truly captures the reality of small-town football in Texas, both on and off the field. They have someone for everyone to identify with. It helps that the set is not made just for the show... it's shot on location. The only drawback is the fact that high schoolers are bound to graduate, so they only have a limited time with each character. But, they do a good job of closing out the characters if it is needed. Unfortunately, it looks like it's time will be up after season 5, but that is a pretty good life for a show. Everyone should give this show a chance because there is something for everyone; regardless of whether or not you like football.

Best show ever!

Author: julita236 from Argentina
8 January 2008

This show is the most real, human, funny, heartbreaking show I'd ever seen. NBC has all my love for putting shows like this one and The Office on the air. In times were unexpacted plot points are what people think make "good TV" is great to have a different option. Give this show a chance, you won't be disappointed... The characters are so real you won't be able to hate any of them. Every single one has something to be love for. Don't let the futbol full you. This show is about sooo much more than that. It's a show about family, about friends, about simple people, simple problems, simple life. But simple doesn't mean boring. That's for sure!!!

Best Show on TV

Author: jazyconan from United States
22 April 2008

The best actor's, the best writing, the best filming. It's supposed to look more realistic. It's a live action show! Get the facts!The topics on this show are real from sex to racism to mental illness. I have learned so much from this show about how I want to raise my kids!Football is huge in the US people depend on it for their children's future. It's a show that takes a look at the beauty of life and the sad realities. It affects me every time I watch it. It's a show for deep people who are looking to learn and grow. It's not a show for shallow or narrow-minded people. I guarantee you will find the character's and story lines easy to identify with and it should take you back to when you were sixteen.If you give the show a chance!

One of the best character driven shows on television!

Author: guilex78 from United States
2 February 2008

Friday Night Lights is one of the best character driven shows on television. Unlike shows where the plot drives people to watch again, this show relies on its characters and it does so in such a beautiful way that you can't help but forget that these are actors playing a part instead of real people with real lives.

Many people say that they do not like football and don't want to watch a show about football. The game of football is just another character in this show, part of the background which connects the characters of the show. It is the focus point in this town which keeps these characters interacting with each other.

The acting is beyond superb, with nods to Kyle Chandler, Connie Britton, Scott Porter, Jesse Plemons, and Adrienne Palicki for outstanding performances. They take their scripts and put heart and warmth into the written word.

Each character gets enough screen time that it does not become the "Julie Taylor Show" or the "Matt Saracen Show" - the writers use each member of the ensemble to drive the story along, relying on the strength of each character and the actor's performance to keep viewers returning each week.

Unlike shows which rely on action sequences, expensive special effects, outrageous plot lines, this show relies on the strength of each character and their story. It is this refreshing approach to a drama that propels ahead of the rest of the pack when it comes to quality.

This is a show that all families can get together to watch. If you haven't started watching Friday Night Lights, catch up on the episodes on the NBC website or rent the first season on DVD. You will fall in love with the town of Dillon.

Possibly the Best Show on Network TV

Author: comedian737 from United States
2 February 2008

Possibly the best show on network TV today, and one of the best dramas on television, period.

Every week, there's Emmy-worthy acting from Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton, and Zach Gilford has flashes of heart-breaking brilliance as Matt Saracen. Honestly, it's a uniformly excellent cast in a show with great direction and writing.

It features a raw camera style some complain about, but it doesn't need fancy cinematography. Its focus is on the characters, not the technicality of the production. When watching it, you are totally taken in. These seem to be real people with real problems (most of the time), a rarity on TV, and in fact, basically any form of entertainment today.

It deserves lots of praise, but it's been lacking in the awards department as well as viewership. That's truly a tragedy, because this is a truly great show.

Televisionaries

Author: goodtryerz from United States
20 January 2008

Friday Night Lights is an essay in perfection. Viewers are so drawn to fictional Dillon, Texas and its residents that the rest of the world seems to fade to gray. Brilliant performances are put forth by the best ensemble cast on television, week in and week out. Characters are followed through sets by a trio of seemingly infallible cameramen as the actors are given license to interject their own stylistic opinions, making for a completely natural watching experience. Single shot scenes, roaming cameras, and filled frames make the show the most fascinating visual spectacle this side of the sofa.

The youth of the show is often praised, and rightfully so, but its the chemistry between Coach Eric (Kyle Chandler) and Tami Taylor (Connie Britton) on which the show finds its foundation.

Cross patterns and nickel packages exist in the rear-view of this show that deals less with the technicalities of football, but rather beautifully captures the life of a town so very dependent on its team.

The New York Times' Virginia Heffernan wrote of the show "If the season is anything like the pilot, this new drama about high school football could be great — and not just television great, but great in the way of a poem or painting." Following the pilot, the show has only continued to climb, reaching a level few, if any, shows have ever managed.

Real life. Real people. Real lessons. A flawless combination.

Author: Colby Koch
13 December 2008

Friday Night Lights is a breath of fresh air in a world of cookie-cutter writing and acting. The series is phenomenal in it's deliverance of honest real world issues. The writing and acting are unpredictable, but true to the characters and their circumstances. The hand-held cinematography, though some might disregard as amateur, is perfectly professional for the overall tone, building a very organic feel for the whole experience. I am completely blown away by the consistently honest and unpredictable acting. Connie Britton, Kyle Chandler, and the rest of the cast are stellar. The acting has so many layers, it immediately captures your attention not because it is filled with sex, gore, and violence, but because it is real. It is believable. You fall in love with this town of Dillon. You become a member of it. The writing is thoroughly committed and true to the characters and the overall theme, addressing completely unpredictable real life conflict and issues. The directing makes the series completely organic, from the hidden and hand-held camera work, to the natural lighting design, to the shooting without rehearsals. It's from the heart. Friday Night Lights has set a new standard for television encapsulating the very essence of life relaying the message that in an unpredictable world of highs and lows, when life has fallen out from under you, each moment is worth living to the fullest; people, relations, family, and friends are the building blocks to success and happiness.

Easily the most moral and inspirational show on television.

Author: Robert Meyer Burnett (Rmburnett1701@gmail.com) from Los Angeles
2 June 2009

Folks,

I just finished mainlining all of season three over a 24 hour period. Once again, this show establishes itself in the pantheon of one of the best television series of all time.

From a stellar cast to story lines which celebrate the potential greatness of the human condition, I can't recommend this show enough.

And...this show is EXPERTLY made, despite what these no nothings have to say. How many shows establish a look and feel uniquely their own?

Finally, season three ends on one of the greatest and subtle cliffhangers ever. I had no idea how the writers would salvage losing most of their principal cast, but MAN did they ever!

This show is beautiful to me, and I don't know if I can explain it

Author: foxymoxy116 from United States
6 January 2008

I don't know what it is that compels me to watch this show, when so many other people thought it was only 'meh'. Maybe it's because I'm from Texas, and I live in town that loves football (but not as hardcore as Dillon), but this show is dead on to me. Explosions in The Sky provides a beautiful backing instrumental soundtrack to the Texas landscape, which, like the camera, is almost a character in it's own.

Maybe I just 'get' the show better being from Texas, and knowing how close to reality this show comes to every week.

Speaking of which, it was dumb of NBC to move FNL to Fridays, because on Friday nights? I'm at a real football game! FNL takes on a different persona from the movie, it's own style, it's not trying to 'be' the movie, and the showrunner is well aware of that, he was attached to both projects.

Interesting

Author: R. Kellam from United States
10 January 2008

I have noticed as well that directors are going more towards the hand held type of presentation to try to Imitate the sense of reality. While this can be distracting if it is used to much, I think it is a great tool for a movie. Friday Night Lights I think does a great job of offering a good balance between the two. Lots of times this is over used, Tony Scott for example seems to like this way of filming a lot in his latest movies (Man on Fire, and Domino) I think there is a more recent one but I don't remember. Anyways I think directors should keep pushing the envelope of filming. Just because people like to see the special effects and big budget actors, there are lots of us who like to see the more creative side of movies. One movie I think the hand held technique sort of ruins it for the viewer is the Bourne Identity. Fantastic series, but some of the fighting scenes are just horrible to watch because the camera man is to close to the action and it gives you a headache, it also kind of creates a unreal feeling to Matt Damon's character. it almost makes you feel that if the camera wasn't making all these quick movements Bourne would be just another James Bond flick and we wouldn't think nearly as much of Damon being a true butt-kicker. Either way these films are both great and the use of hand held filming I think should continue.