IMDb > "Friday Night Lights" (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Friday Night Lights"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Friday Night Lights" More at IMDbPro »

Page 19 of 25: [Prev][14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [Next]

A great show

Author: gduclayan-1 from United States
23 January 2007

Most of the negative comments about this show seem to dismiss it because it uses shaky cam technique in the filming. What a bizarre reason to use to pan a show. While I can see that this technique may be distracting to a minority of viewers, it's neither unusual these days nor really worth commenting upon. I mean, so what? It has no bearing on the truly important aspects of any show--the acting, plot, and character development. These elements of Friday Night Lights have all been top notch so far. As my brother-in-law said, most movies or shows about high school football portray it as people think it is. This show shows us high school football as it really is. Not only that, though. I'm not a football or sports fan at all. This show is about life in a small, economically depressed town with a lot of people who are living at or near poverty level. Many of them have broken families. The show is about how they make their lives work. It also shows the real challenges, both within families and within communities, faced by everyone--even those with functioning families. It's not all sad, though, there is a lot of gentle humor in looking at the normal foibles of high school life. I also really like the plot-line about quadriplegia and murder-ball. Very interesting. Check out this great show. If you've missed episodes, they can be watched on-line.

Best new show

Author: Linda from PA
12 January 2007

I was very impressed with the pilot episode and the show has just gotten better with time. I don't understand how anyone could be that distracted by he hand-held cameras; the stories and the acting are phenomenal.

Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton are the most realistic couple I've seen on TV in a long time. The banter between the two of them is priceless.

And what can you say about Zach Gilford who portrays Matt Saracen. This kid is great. From trying to fill the shoes of the former QB, to taking care of his grandmother to his relationship with Julie. This kid doesn't miss a step.

All of the characters seem so real and two dimensional. Even the minor characters like Buddy Garrity are real. He seems to one kind of person then you realize there's a lot more to him than you first see.

The show captures the entire essence of a small Texas town and how much high school football is the identity of the town.

I'm so glad that NBC gave it a full year and I hope more viewers tune in to see this quality show.

One of THE best drama shows out there...

Author: sahil-ganguly from India
21 August 2008

I began watching Friday Night Lights because i like football and i loved the movie...but when i was finished with it,i knew i was watching it for a whole lot more.

There is nothing wrong with this show.PERIOD!I'm not saying this because i just like football so hence i'll be defending shows about football.But this show has got it all,from the very realistic teen drama to the fast paced action of an actual Friday night in Texas.

The actors are nothing short of brilliant here.Each portrays their character to perfection.Kyle Chandler as the coach does THE best job ever,of having to coach a team with huge potential all the while facing the growing up problems of his teenage daughter.His wife Connie Britton possibly is as good as him,if not better.Her character as the caring mother who's losing touch with her growing daughter,the school guidance counselor who tackles every problem that the students face and the best of all,the wife of the high school football team's coach,the one who he turns to for comfort and for direction.She merges all these characters and plays them to perfection,even perfecting the vulnerable side to her character later in the 2nd season.The QB,Matt Gilford does a great job of showing the day-in day-out pressure that he has to fend off to try and become the man of the house.I could go on and on about each character really,but that'd be boring i guess.

I would just like to say that i can't understand how people find the shaky camera not appealing,it adds a sense of realism to the whole show and makes you feel as if you might be there.The music,mainly by Explosions in the Sky is just fabulous,never going out of tune.The intro music is probably one of my favorites,after Veronica Mars and Friends.This show is the complete-est package i've seen in many years.

One of the best shows on TV....unless you're a shakycamaphobic

Author: bobzby from United States
15 January 2009

I realize that everyone has different tastes so I will respect that some of you folks cannot stand the shaky cam style. The office has the same thing but not as much since there are interview sequences. Regardless, I think you should look past the style of shooting and look at the body of work. I usually do not write on IMDb but to balance out the negative reviews and because this is one of my favorite all time shows, I felt compelled to do so.

The acting and atmosphere of this show is great. Like all shows, storyline and plausibility can get out of hand sometimes but people need to keep in mind that this is television and suspension of disbelief is at times required. But not so much, because the uniqueness of the show is grounded in the down to earthiness that the show touts as its central theme. I implore you to watch the show if you're a sports fan, drama fan, or a fan of television.

One of the few shows I schedule time to watch.

Author: radiomann from Virginia, U.S.A.
12 January 2007

Friday Night Lights is excellent. The development of characters is done in a manner not only better than most TV shows but better than most movies. The pressures on young QB1 Matt and Coach Taylor, like all the characters, are revealed carefully by showing some of their day to day situations over time, not quickly going over the top and slapping you in the face as so often done on TV and movies. The audience is smart and been there, we get it, don't insult us.

For those who may have avoided this show for fear it was all about football, take another look, I'm sure you'll like it. There is a rich and broad cast in this show most of whom are not involved directly with the football team, and in fact the football players themselves are mostly shown outside the narrow scope of the football team. But behind everything that goes on in the town there is always the shadow and impact that the Dillon Panthers have on the town, for after all, this is small town Texas.

I look forward to this show every week and you can probably catch up by watching episodes on line.

What ?

Author: crazymase0828 from United States
16 March 2008

I believe this show is wonderful. It not only has the drama that goes on now in schools but it makes the viewers feel as if they are in the show. Some viewers can also relate to it or have been threw the drama and situations that go on in the episodes. It also shows what most family's go threw in some hard situations. To my knowledge it's one of the best shows out right now and i feel that they should carry on with this television show as long as they can. If it was up to me I think I could see at least four seasons maybe even at least five. Their is so much more that you can add to this television hit. I know it brings me and my family together.

Best TV Show Since Everwood

Author: (star9_11206@yahoo.com) from United States
13 March 2008

This series captures perfectly the essence of living in a small, Southern town. I saw 5 minutes of one episode of Season 1 and immediately declared it one of my favorite shows ever. Because I work crazy hours in a not small town, I haven't been able to see the series as it airs. I watched all of the Season 1 box set in the space of two days...addictive. The hand-held, documentary-style camera work lends the series an additional layer of authenticity. The show incorporates a diverse cast and gives real plot lines to African-Americans. Difficult topics were handled unflinchingly - no cutaways to insinuate what happens next. Bold, refreshing and risk-taking television. I wish I had written this series.

Great show, amazing cast... who cares about the camera work?

Author: redhaiku from Canada
6 April 2008

Honestly, if the only thing you're looking at on a show is the camera work, you're watching the wrong thing, Scorsese.

This show tells about many main issues of the day like drugs, alcohol, peer pressure, cyber bullying, rape and many others.

The only complaint I have is that people overcome their issues just a little too quickly... very TV showish.

I am not a football fan whatsoever... but you don't need to be for this show. The well-acted characters draw you in and make you never want to leave.

Watch a couple of episodes... it'll suck you in.

Give It A Chance

Author: Alendil from United States
21 November 2008

People hate shaky cameras, I get it. But give the show a chance. Among the plethora of unemotive garbage on television these days, this series stands alone for subtle story-telling and authentic relationships. I would hazard my reputation and say it would be impossible for this show to jump the shark. And don't worry...you don't have to understand or care about football in order to understand or care about this show. All you have to do is watch two or three episodes.

P.S.: I'm the kind of person who enjoys premium television to regular cable. I love Deadwood, The Wire, Dexter, Californication, Brotherhood, etc. --When I watch regular cable, I watch two shows and two shows only...Mad Men and Friday Night Lights.

Fantastic Show

Author: Michael McGeehan from United States
10 November 2008

Wow, what a surprise this show was for me. I am NOT a football fan at all, but this show is fantastic. In no way do you have to be a fan of football to enjoy this series.

The acting by the entire cast is nothing short of stellar. The writing is slick and engaging. The story lines are moving and realistic.

Some people may not like the "hand-held" camera look, but I think it makes it very intimate and pulls you closer to the characters! I hope the show continues; bravo.

I may have to check out the motion picture and see what that was all about.