IMDb > "Friday Night Lights" (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Friday Night Lights"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratings

"Friday Night Lights" More at IMDbPro »

Page 17 of 27: [Prev][12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [22] [23] [24] [25] [26] [27] [Next]

Best Show on TV

Author: Clark-W-Gridswald from United States
30 September 2007

Finally there is a television show that teenagers and other young people can actually relate to. This show is more reality than any of the so called reality shows on television. This show depicts what high school is really like and shows what high school life is actually like now. I grew up in a county where High School football was the biggest thing every week and that is what people looked for. I admit the show started off a little slow but as the season went on the show continued to get better and the characters begin to become their characters. For anyone that grew up in a town that made football the biggest part of life. I suggest all parents watch this show so they can see what it is like to be young in today's America!

Fantastic Show, Great Style

Author: nodak88 from United States
20 September 2007

Forget the morons who don't understand that the documentary-style cinematography of this show is indeed a wonderful creative choice on the part of the producers. Clearly those people neither read about film-making nor watch TV or films. It's not a sign of bad camera operators or a style choice that has caused the failure of other shows (hello, "NYPD Blue" was one of the first shows to keep the camera in constant movement and it helped to define a new style -- not to mention the fact the show had a very long and successful run!)

The writing, acting and directing on this show are top-notch and not to be missed. Best show on TV last season.

Amazing Show!

Author: rusty8868 from United States
26 July 2009

Honestly....there are so many negative comments out there...and if you have not watched the show, you would do yourself a favor and ignore them. This show is amazing! Flat out amazing! When one looks on t.v. for something to watch you either have a choice of some stupid reality show or some show about high class rich teens. Friday Night Lights is about the America that I know and love. The teens actually have similar problems to those of a normal teenager who doesn't have money coming out of their ears. Issues with getting to know the other sex, getting one's first job, and dealing with one's parents.

And the acting here is amazing...it is truly enjoyable to watch all of the characters grow on the show. On most shows I'm really only interested in 2 or 3 characters. All of the characters in this show are appealing and interesting.

As for the issue with football....I'm not that big of a football fan, but I do enjoy sports. Sports, no matter the level one plays at, helps to teach life lessons and the show uses that to it's advantage. During games, you can't help but cheer for the Panters.

This is the show you aren't watching that you need to be watching!

Definitely Watchable

Author: Dan Hunt from United States
9 June 2008

I feel that this show is great. A show with so many different characters and all having their own separate story lines, the writers have done a great job not letting you forget about a single one of them. That's a hard task when forced to put that all into an hour long episode with commercials. The nontraditional camera angles give the show its own identity as opposed to conforming to the way things have always been done. They can be fast at times but I feel as though that makes you focus more on what the director actually wants you to see in each scene. My one negative comment is the characters lack of consistency, they change directions quite often and it sometimes makes me wonder if I missed something. All in all though I feel as though this show represents an accurate perception of a Texas town who is dedicated to football, family, and religion and has pride for what they believe. Season three can not get here fast enough.

Engaging characters, moving stories ... I love this show.

Author: crazyjae from PA
17 June 2008

Friday Night Lights is a show with heart - a story about kids trying to live their lives and make something of their lives in a town where people never leave. I love the dynamic between the characters - the players amongst each other, the players and the coach, the coach and his family, and the families of the players. We have some real amazing actors on our hands - and major kudos to Scott Porter for being able to commit to the physical challenges of his character.

Shame on those for judging the TV show so harshly after only watching one or two episodes. This show deserves much more credit than it's getting. And as for the "shaky camera" - it's a style choice, and it's done to involve the audience more by making it seem like we're really seeing the show through someone's eyes. I love the choice the directors made to do this - along with the close-up shots throughout the episodes.

Friday Night Lights still good as ever.

Author: Jill from United States
3 January 2008

One critic said that FNL is not just good, it is good in the way a poem or short story is good. I couldn't agree more. Succinct and vibrant, the stories are rarely overdone. With subtle repetition of themes and verbal/picture irony, the show explores the depths of human emotion and the various ways they are (often clumsily) dealt with.

In a world where the vast majority of TV shows are "reality" shows or fantasy, it is great to see a show which (minus one ridiculous plot twist at the beginning of season 2) resonates with realism. The rough cinematographic tactics, poignant story arches and spot-on improv acting combine to reverberate with meaning, however gritty, however awkward, poetically examining how we continue to move forward despite limited options, growing into people we never imagined we'd be.

Fantastic.

One of the Best

Author: picante007 from United States
4 January 2008

This show is excellent. It's hard to see it struggle in ratings, when it deserves so much more recognition. Despite the fact that this show is centered around football, it appeals to people of all genders, races, and ages. I think it is a scarily realistic depiction of everyday family and school life. The actors are wonderful and the writing is heartfelt without being cheesy or preachy. The Dillon, Texas community that has been created by this show is a wonder to become a part of for an hour every week. The football sequences are mesmerizing and exciting, while the emotional drama is heart wrenching. Friday Night Lights is also surprisingly comical, due to the excellent writing. The bond that the cast has formed while living in Texas together is evident in the amazing chemistry they exhibit on screen. All I have left to say is, WATCH THIS SHOW!

Best Show on TV Right Now

Author: randjplu from United States
20 February 2007

Friday Night Lights is the best show on television right now - bar none. All the the characters are well written, well played, and are very real. The dialog rings true and doesn't resort to the ridiculous witty banter writers like Aaron Sorkin favor so much. The characters and the stories are multi-layered and engrossing week after week.

All of the actors turn in stellar performances with special praise going to Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton as one of the most realistic married couples ever on television.

Scott Porter and Kevin Rankin put so much heart into their disabled characters, they keep them from becoming the stereotypes we so often see in TV and the movies.

This is not just another show filled with teen angst, it is a quality hour of television with outstanding characters, writing, directing, and production values. Do yourself a favor, turn off all the other crap and watch this show now.

Best show on TV - Friday Night Lights is a gem

Author: Marie-Eve from Canada
17 February 2007

Rarely has a TV show been so real. Never has a show made me care so much about its characters. If you're not watching Friday Night Lights, you are missing out on what might be the best TV show ever produced.

Set in a small Texas town where football means everything, you might be surprised to know that this is not a show about sport. Of course, football plays a major role, but each player has a story, has a family, friends and problems to deal with. We follow them, we watch them make mistakes and grow.

Like a NBC publicity said at one point, this is a show about life. And FNL will make you care about the lives of the its characters.

Give it a try, you won't regret it.

Real People with Real Dreams

Author: christopher-basler from United States
1 September 2007

I hate football, plain and simple. I went to a high school where it was huge, and I still hated it. That's why I didn't watch Friday Night Lights when it originally aired. Everyone kept telling me how great it was, so I finally tried it.

I was amazed.

So many shows (West Wing, 24, Lost, Heroes) focus on people in extraordinary circumstances. But it's shows like Friday Night Lights (and , of course, the Wire) that remind people how great television can be by showing normal people in every day situations. When you see how much stock is put in the Dillon players, and how much stock they themselves put in the sport of football, you realize how important dreams are, even if they have nothing to do with your own. This is the story of people trying to make due with the only path they can see, and coming to terms with the problems they encounter when this path leads them astray. It's so difficult to pick a favorite character in this show. Is it Landry, the geeky best friend of the new quarterback? Is it Riggins, the alcoholic teenager who slowly lets his softer side come through? Is it Julie, the coach's intelligent yet naive daughter? Matt, the new quarterback who's insecure and under immense pressure--both at home and on the field? It might be the central couple- Coach Taylor and his wife Tammy, who share every challenge their new life in Dillon presents together. I don't know, it's all fantastic. What I do know is you'll be saying "Clear eyes, full heart CAN'T LOSE" long after the season finale, and hopefully for many more seasons to come.