IMDb > Mexican Werewolf in Texas (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Mexican Werewolf in Texas

Mexican Werewolf in Texas More at IMDbPro »

Some of the worst acting ever!

Author: stepflan from Norway
3 March 2008

First of all "Mexican werewolf in Texas" is not a werewolf movie. This title is bullcrap. The story is actually about a Chupacabra that kills all the local villagers in the little town of Furlough in Texas. I suppose the distributors renamed the original title so that it would make some extra bucks or something. And I guess it actually works because that's the reason why I bought this piece of crap, it sounded so stupid. Anyway the movie isn't any good. Actually it's bloody awful. But I didn't expect anything else when I bought it. It's a low budget horror movie with a Chupacabra monster. If you enjoy low budget horror with bad dialog, actors and some gore then you should check into this movie. But I must warn you, this movie is really baaaaaaad.

This movie has some of the worst acting I have ever seen. The actors try to hard and t it gets completely ridiculous. They almost never say a line in a normal way. They always have this completely wrong tone about just everything they say. It's so stupid it almost looks like a freakin parody. It's like they shot each scene only one single time and were happy about it. The worst of them all is the blond girl which is supposed to play a bimbo. She's the worst of them all. I have never seen an actor as bad as her (And I've seen Pteradactyl). Even when her boyfriend dies she can't stop being a bimbo about it. I hate her.

Some of the shots in this movie were actually quite good. The ones that where shot in the daytime are all pretty decent for a low budget project. But most of the movie is shot in the night when the Chupacabra strikes and the lighting is way too dark. The gore scenes are few and short, but really grizzly and violent. The effects are pretty hilarious really, but that's the way I like it. The Chupacabra looks pretty messed up, and it's easy to see that it's a guy in suit.

Overall this movie should only be watched by extreme fans of low budget flicks and it's very important to not watch this alone because you will probably be bored to death. I recommend watching this flick with your friends and some beer.

Not bad for a low-budget movie

Author: wolfbeast from Sweden
30 October 2006

What could ever happen in a dull Texan town in summer? Well, a bunch of teenagers find out a few things can and do happen.

It turns out the Mexican werewolf of this story is nothing less than el chupacabra, and the movie, unlike the name would suggest, is not a remake or lookalike of the American Werewolf movies, but something completely different.

Overall, for an obviously low-budget movie, it's not bad! Some clever camera work, quite decent looking traditional creature and gore effects, and for once not all-knowing people that can and do make mistakes, like shooting a colleague thinking it's the big bad beast, and are baffled by things they could not possibly know.

Sit down at this expecting a blockbuster million-dollar production, and you will turn it off in disgust after a short while. Sit down at this expecting a bit of entertainment and a relatively simple story, and it's quite good! Overall it gets an 8/10 from me for being creative, having OK acting, and pulling off some good work for the budget this movie had.

Downright Terrible

Author: bubbathom from United States
26 March 2009

First off, Mexican Werewolf in Texas' title is misleading as many others have pointed out. It is actually about El Chupacabra, which is a similar creature to a werewolf, but by no means the same.

The production and editing just plain suck. When it was over, I probably wouldn't be able to give a very accurate description of what exactly the Chupacabra looked like, for whenever it was in a scene(despite one or two exceptions) the camera turned all shaky and you could only see the monster's face clearly. The special effects were laughably bad, but that has to be expected from a low budget horror movie.

Along with the terrible production comes the bad actors. Now a couple give fairly plausible performances(Erika Fay and Martine Hughes), but then there were the bad actors(everybody else), who seemed to have no emotions whatsoever when people died. Then there's the absolutely terrible actor(Sara Erikson), who gives one of the 2 worst performances I've ever seen in a movie. I mean my god, she was indescribably bad.

The plot was very simple. Basically, a Chupacabra is in a small Texan town killing off local residents and a group of teens look to stop it. However, even with the plot being this simple, a few plot holes managed to leak through.

Anyways, horrible movie. However, if you are looking for a movie to make fun of and laugh at with your friends one night, this would be a pretty good one. My friends and I had a good time watching this. Probably the 2nd worst movie I've ever seen, 1/10. Awful.

Supposed to be scary, could have been funny, instead it's just laughable...

Author: JoeytheBrit from www.2020-movie-reviews.com
25 September 2007

As this film is so bad, let's just narrow things down to two examples:

Firstly, we see one poor guy, after being dragged to a deserted field by his vacuous but pretty girlfriend for a spot of rumpy, eviscerated by the beast. Five minutes later, we see the girl, seemingly unaffected by her ordeal, relaying the events of the attack to the town's sheriff and his 'comedy' sidekick in a diner, and are treated to the entire attack all over again in flashback. The entire attack. Five minutes later. Brilliant idea – really keeps the film flying along..

Secondly, the father of one of the teen heroes decides to gather the pelts of various deer, etc, and fashion himself his own chupacabra suit so that he can kill the Mexican kid who is boffing his daughter and blame it on the monster. Not possessing the requisite pair of fangs, he decides a barbecue fork will do the job just as well and trips off into the desert night in his furry outfit, looking like the cuddly little brother of that cuddly werewolf in Carry On Screaming. If it hadn't have looked so pathetic it would have been funny.

The best thing about this film is the title – and even that's a rip-off of John Landis's American Werewolf in London. Trust me, it's only worth watching if you're a connoisseur of trash and, given that even trash must have its hierarchy, this is some of the worst around.

Mexican Werewolf in Texas

Author: Scarecrow-88 from United States
2 April 2011

In Furlough, Texas, the "goat capital of the world", in a "place where nothing ever happens", a Mexican werewolf is on the rampage and everyone, including dogs, goats, and humans, is on the menu. Narrated by Anna(Erika Fay), looking forward to graduating and getting out of her Podunk town, she informs us of the various characters who occupy Furlough, friends, locals of importance, and family and tells us of the werewolf and the mayhem that results from its appetite. Mexican WEREWOLF IN Texas shows the animosity and racial tension between Mexican-Americans and White-Caucasians in Furlough—Anna is dating a Mexican which is a no-no because her pops (who runs the local morgue and has hick relatives he is ashamed of) is against "mixed relations". The legend of the Chupicabra starts spreading throughout the community and before you know it civil unrest leads to the citizenry packing heat and assembling a search party intended on finding the beast slaughtering the goats. The humor actually, I felt, rescues this movie from utter catastrophe because when the werewolf is introduced, I cringed at its laughable look expecting yet another microbudget trashheap. I think if you are entertained by "redneck" Texans (communicating via hick-speak) in cowboy hats, mouthing off about "wetbacks" they consider the threat of the local community, this might have an appeal. Actually the Mexicans are presented in a more favorable light than the white Texan racists who seem uneducated and naïve. It might seem like this movie is a social commentary on race relations in Texas, but it is all presented in a jokey manner, tongue wagging, not serious in the least. The local law enforcement is inept as you'd expect ("It must be a kiiiiyote or something.") so the beast's onslaught can continue until someone else does something about it. Gabriel Gutierrez is Anna's boyfriend, Miguel, Michael Carreo is wise-ass Tommy, Martine Hughes (as Rosie hoping to receive a scholarship from the University of Texas)and Sara Erikson(as ditsy Jill, prone to sleep around, speaking in Valley girl, always chewing a wad of bubblegum)are Anna's gal-pals. With a cheap movie such as this, the director tries to move the camera around and edit it to hell and back when the goofy werewolf costume is present so that the monster won't be as rib-tickling as it can be when fully on screen.

Awful Amateurish Crap

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
14 August 2007

In the dusty little town of Furlough in Texas, an animal is slaughtering the cattle and the locals. When the teenager Tommy (Michael Carreo) is killed, their friends Anna Furlough (Erika Fay), her Mexican-American boyfriend Miguel Gonzalez (Gabriel Gutierrez), Jill Gillespie (Sara Erikson) and Rosie (Martine Hughes) finds that a Mexican werewolf Chupacabra is the killer and they plot a plan to kill the beast.

"Mexican Werewolf in Texas" is an amateurish crap and among the worse movies I have ever seen, if not the worst. Nothing works in this movie: the screenplay is laughable, with some of the most terrible lines I have ever heard. The direction does not exist and the camera follows the "style" of "The Blair Witch Project". The amateurish acting seems to be a prank of high-school students or a high school play. The "special effects" are gruesome and extremely poor and the "werewolf" is the cheapest I have ever seen. Ed Wood movies are cult, but this "Mexican Werewolf in Texas" is pure garbage. In the end, Jill says that no man can resist her teats (actually the most beautiful thing in this flick). But I believe the correct quote should be "no man (or woman) can resist to watch this movie to the end". I was driven by my curiosity to see how bad a movie can be and I lost 88 minutes of my life, but I believe most of the viewers will stop seeing with less than 20 minutes running time. My vote is one (awful).

Title (Brazil): "Um Lobisomen Mexicano no Texas" ("A Mexican Werewolf in Texas")

A Small Town in Texas "Where Nothing Ever Happens"

Author: Uriah43 from Amarillo, Texas
8 March 2016

In the small, Texas town of Furlough, "where nothing ever happens", a strange creature is killing goats on a massive scale and the local citizens are baffled by what it could be. For starters, it isn't eating any of the meat but rather draining them of their blood. Further, the number of goats killed isn't normal for any particular species endemic to the area. And the people begin to get even more concerned when it starts attacking humans. Now rather than reveal any more I will just say that this particular film was definitely a low-budget operation and this was clearly highlighted by some of the special effects. Yet, in spite of the fact that it was actually filmed in California, I was extremely impressed by the amazingly accurate manner in which the characters of southern Texas were portrayed. Although perhaps not as openly apparent, the racism is really that strong and the younger generation definitely yearns to leave these towns at the first opportunity. Be that as it may, I thought the acting was adequate enough and I liked the manner which the horror was mixed with comedy here and there. In short, although this film clearly suffered from a lack of funding, the director (Scott Maginnis) improvised quite nicely and I have rated this film accordingly. Average.

Enjoyable low-budget horror monster outing

13 March 2012

The sleepy small town of Furlough, Texas is terrorized by a savage creature of local Mexican legend known as the chupacabra (Collin Pulsipher in a gnarly suit). A group of teenagers decide to track the beast down and kill it after it kills one of their friends. Writer/director Scott Maginnis relates the entertaining story at a snappy pace, builds a good deal of tension, offers a flavorsome evocation of the dusty desert town, creates and sustains a pleasingly creepy atmosphere, delivers a handy helping of graphic gore, and stages the ferocious attack set pieces with rip-roaring flair. The competent acting from the capable no-name cast rates as another definite asset: Erika Fay contributes a winningly vibrant turn as the spunky Anna, cute blonde Sara Erikson nearly steals the show with her hilarious portrayal of the ditsy Jill (the scene with Jill flashing the monster is simply sidesplitting!), plus there are solid turns by Gabriel Gutierrez as Anna's nice boyfriend Miguel, Michael Carreo as antagonistic jerk Tommy, Martine Hughes as the sweet Rosie, Mark Halvorson as Anna's freaky mortician father Brad, Leslie Marshall as Anna's bitchy busybody mother Carol, and Louie Cruz Beltran as sensible veterinarian Manny Gonzalez. Matthew J. Siegal's sharp cinematography gives the picture an impressive slick look. Matthew McGhaughey's ominous ratting score hits the shuddery spot. A fun fright flick.

Sht

Author: dusan-22 from Serbia
26 April 2011

I don't understand how can someone get into the feature film making and cannot gather a crew that is at least eager to act! This is a bunch of most untalented and unmotivated actors I have ever seen!! Everything else speaking of bads is in the shadow of bad acting. Then, the movie lacks the suspense or even the scary scenes. It looks like a very sloppy and unintelligent work. The only good thing I found good in this said movie making is some nice camera work - especially in the very beginning in the scene with sheep. I am really not into criticizing the low budget movies or amateur work but since I was hooked to watching by many positive reviews I want to write this one to make you guys aware of spending 15 minutes of your life the better way. Oh, yeah, exactly 15 minutes is how long I could watch this crp.

Not bad, but nothing special

Author: slayrrr666 (slayrrr666@yahoo.com) from Los Angeles, Ca
15 February 2009

"Mexican Werewolf in Texas" isn't all that bad, but not that great either.

**SPOILERS**

Contemplating graduating from High School, Anna Furlough, (Erika Fay) Miguel Gonzalez, (Gabriel Gutierrez) Rosie, (Martine Hughes) and Jill Gillespie, (Sara Erikson) try to find something meaningful with their lives stuck in a small Texas town. When the town is suddenly undertaken by a series of strange animal deaths, the residents blame a legendary animal called a chupacabra, only for the town to believe that their Mexican heritage is causing them to confuse the creature when it's been a series of coyote attacks, and when the attacks turns to human residents, it makes them believe even more that the attacks are wild animals and not the chupacabra. Knowing better than to accept their racist views, they manage to put all the pieces of the mystery together and set out to capture the creature to end it's rampage through town once and for all.

The Good News: There was some good stuff to this one when it matters. One of the best features with this one is that there's a really nice-looking creature in here that is an actual monster on the screen rather than simply atrocious-looking CGI. It would've been so easy to have used that for the creature, especially with all the attacks being edited to pieces so as to make them mostly impossible to figure out and would've hid the creature even more, yet the decision not to follow that is a great plus since it manages to feel like the creature is really there in the shot, and that almost never happens. It really lends the creature a lot of credence and acceptance, and that's not even getting into how cool it's design is. This is a really neat design in what few scenes we can get a clear shot at the creature, with a large reptilian head, huge fang-like teeth, large claws, hairy, rat-like body and ability to walk around on all fours, which gives it a unique appearance and makes for an intriguing creature that really works well in here. The attack scenes, when we get to see them, are actually a lot of fun and certainly add a lot to the film. Especially worthwhile are the scenes early on, when no one knows anything about the creature's existence and it's allowed to run wild on the citizens. The goat massacre is simply fun, with the chaos of them running around in a panic while the citizens are stuck inside unsure of what to do, and the scene itself is a real standout. Also really good is another big scene later on when it attacks a campground with a witness stuck inside a car before the creature turns it's attention to it, but the main thing here, which is where most of the film's good points are held, is inside the finale, which is just full of fun and good points. From the stand-off in the shack to the big chase out in the open to the creature's stalking and more, there's just a lot to like in the scene and it's a long, natural one that doesn't disappoint. It's also where we get the clearest look at the gore, which, while mostly limited to incredibly vicious scratch-marks along the back and stomach, leave it nice enough. Even other scenes, as the rednecks' search for the creature or the first attempt at killing it in the desert aren't bad either. These here are the film's good points.

The Bad News: There was a couple of rather big flaws to this one. One of the biggest flaws present here is the fact that this one is just incredibly racist with how the town's characters are with each other. Despite the constant racial slurs that are brandied apart with reckless abandon, the general attitude of many of the residents, simply looking down the other race enough to dismiss anything they said as part of their cultural hysteria and believing their own views to be the right one, despite the evidence pointing so far away from them it's laughable to assume the view-point could be kept. Perhaps the biggest, and easily the most illogical one, is the subplot involving the father's dislike of the boyfriend, which isn't bad but leads into what is the scene that leads to the wrong, watching him don a chupacabra costume and sneak over to the hideout intending to scare the two of them, since it makes no sense, isn't pulled off at all well and seems incredibly short-sighted and bigoted to be in the film at all. The voice-over narration setting up the scene does it little favors, and in the end, serves to up the body count anyway, leaving it's inclusion all the more confusing. That leads into the second big flaw from this one, the inability to really tell what's going on during the kill sequences. Just about every single kill or attack scene is shot so that it's impossible to determine what has happened since it's so quick-cut it's hard to tell. By editing it in such a way, you lose everything in the sense of what's going on. It leaves no idea as to what's happening, and that's not something you want in the main reason to see the film. In fact, the first few attacks are so jolting and impossible-to-see it's impossible to see anything in them. These are bad enough to hold it down considerably.

The Final Verdict: Had it eliminated one of it's problematic flaws, the film would've been a lot more interesting and entertaining than it is. Worthwhile look for those interested in the genre or can overlook the flaws, while those who can't or who aren't big fans of this style should heed caution.

Rated R: Graphic Violence and Graphic Language