IMDb > The Man from Earth (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Man from Earth

The Man from Earth More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 61:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Make absolutely certain you do not miss this film

Author: brmelez from United States
9 November 2007

This is by far the most unusual movie I have ever seen. I am a die hard Sci-Fi buff and found myself wondering why no one has released a movie like this before. I was totally engrossed... the story pulled me in like a Black Hole, I found myself wanting more and more.

This film is tantalizing, not to your eyes, not to your ears, but rather where it counts the most...your brain. What a breath of fresh air, I felt satisfied in the end and invigorated. If I had paid 50 dollars to see this film I would not have been disappointed.

For anyone who has an intellect, is open minded and ready for an adventure born of thought, Ideas and possibilities, make absolutely certain you do not miss this film.

One of the most thoughtful and well written scripts put to film in ages.

Author: rareandfirsts from United States
16 November 2007

I cannot speak about the depth and art put forth in this film without giving away details that will rob enjoyment from you if you have not seen this film. Suffice it to say that I highly recommend this film for anyone who enjoys a film that reaches to the stars and does not depend on CGI.

This is a film without pretense or smoke and mirrors.

It is so nice to see a film that depends solely on story and dialogue. I highly recommend this to SF readers before viewers.

A true masterpiece.

A true shame this film never got any publicity to speak of. All though it did not cost tens of millions to put to film, it is a winner in any category.

A movie for people who aren't afraid to use their brains

Author: dianadiehl from United States
14 October 2007

I, too, saw this movie at San Diego Comic-Con 2007, and was incredibly happy that I did. I would, however, in no way consider this a thriller, as another reviewer did. This is a movie to provoke deep thought and conversation and that dares to challenge mainstream beliefs. It is one of the most intensely engaging dramas that I have had the pleasure to see. Excellent ensemble performances created believably real characters, each with his or her own fallibilities, personal credo, and enthusiasms.

The movie is basically a conversation amongst college professors. So if you are looking for serial murders, chase scenes, or shoot-outs, you won't find it here. If you enjoy thought experiments and intelligent discourse, and appreciate what it means to accept your friends for who they are, see this.

I will buy several copies to give to friends.

Educational

Author: phalanges1 from United Kingdom
9 November 2007

A seriously engaging film with a small twist at the end. Lots of small inputs of educational facts and figures but stay alert as they come quick and fast. I thought the mix of characters was excellent and the tale outstanding, but that is down to Bixby the writer. The acting was a little wooden but the story-line was fast enough (after a slightly slow start) to save dwelling on this. A sci-fi film with absolutely no special effects, relying solely on the story and a room-full of actors.

A highly recommended film that needs some concentration and thought to fully appreciate, and that might even cause a tear if you become fully immersed. A nice change from the usual no-brainer special effects charged tear-aways.

My Grandfather and Father did very well

Author: Brian Bixby (Brian@manchastores.com) from United States
15 November 2007

My grandfather started this when I was a little boy. All I remember at that time was my grandfather sitting in his room all day everyday. He was so creative. When he and my father (Emerson Bixby)would talk about It, I could see A glow in both their eyes and knew something special was coming. This movie represents the true art of science fiction and I believe It will surprise allot of people on how many different ways entertainment can form itself. It Is well put together and scripted. Great cast...(GREAT) cast. Directer was great and most off all. The man who made sure my grandfather's story never died, Mr Emerson Bixby who I'm positive will bring us fun and interesting films for years to come.

The epitome of good science fiction

Author: Gerald Martin (scifiguy@live.com) from United States
9 November 2007

Jerome Bixby's "The Man from Earth" stands proudly among the best science fiction films ever made. However, unlike "2001", "CE3K" and "Blade Runner," this little movie relies not on outstanding set design and mind-blowing visual effects, but rather on ideas; the very foundation of science fiction.

I've been a fan of Mr. Bixby's ever since "Star Trek", and I must say this equals if not surpasses "Mirror, "Mirror". I agree that some of the acting was stilted, and the music partially drowned out dialogue in one scene, but my family and I were mesmerized throughout. As to my personal beliefs regarding God and faith; "Man from Earth" in no way offended me, but rather challenged me. Challenged me with historical facts (several of which I've since checked online, and thus far, all of which appear 100% accurate.) This is a chess game of a film, forcing the viewer not only to listen and to think, but to understand.

I highly recommend "Man from Earth" to any and all who love intelligent science fiction. A friend downloaded the film, illegally no doubt. I've watched it three times thus far, and I'll be the first in line to buy the DVD (legally =) this coming Tuesday.

brilliant story

Author: kristianystad from Norway
7 November 2007

...every so often you will see a film or hear a story that will take your breath away and leave you wondering...this is one of those stories.

That said it is probably not for everyone. If you don't want your believes challenged you should probably stay away from this one. The film is all about the characters and their dialog, it is what makes or breaks the film, and I must say they did an excellent job, it kept me on the edge of my seat the whole time, wanting to hear more. All this topped with great acting makes this a film really worth seeing.

It goes to show that you can make great films these days without explosions and killings...so simple yet so effective. Great movie!

Fantastic!

Author: one_seven_zero_one from United States
16 November 2007

If not the "best" science-fiction film ever made, Jerome Bixby's Man From Earth is certainly one of the most thoughtful. This movie reminds me of Close Encounters of the Third Kind. Not with spaceships and effects, but with intelligent characters and exceptional dialogue, and that it left me with a sense of true wonder and joy, long after the credits ended. If the movie had been two hours longer I still would not have been bored, even though most of the film takes place in one small room. It's like watching a ninety minute Twilight Zone, with a perfect surprise ending. John Billingsly stands out, as does David Lee Smith, who may or may not be a caveman. The rest of the cast is good, but the script is the true star. And to anyone claiming this film is boring because we never leave the one room; Some of the very best Twilight Zones were just that. Good actors, good scripts, one or two locations. To anyone who's fed up with spaceships and explosions and Jar-Jar Binks, see this movie as a reminder of what science fiction has always been about.

Triumph

Author: viddihelga from at home
8 November 2007

This is a brilliant tale and a writers triumph over the thirst of hearing a good story! At first i was not sure of what a was to expect from the movie but like the characters i was drawn into the story. As the film goes on it shorter to the end, i don't under stand why it is necessary to write ten lines about the film, i just wanted to say a few words about it. I don't think it will do very well in the cinema because most people don't appreciate a good story for just that. They want to see some action in the film, but this film does not have much of that in the physical sense,but maybe in the intellectual :) grate movie....

Different

Author: paulyozz from United Kingdom
14 November 2007

Hi this is my first comment on any movie but i was compelled to write this. The man from earth was the best film i have seen this year in the terms of originality. It may not be action packed but it makes up for this in intrigue,it kept me watching and is a must see for genuine movie buffs.The acting at the first couple of minutes had me a little worried but after that i thought the film flowed and it soon eased my worries i am notorious to friends for giving up on movies before they begin.I would not recommend this film for kids it would be more suited to anyone over the age of 25 but hey what do i know you can make up your own mind by watching it in the cinemas

Overall i rated this film 9/10