IMDb > "Saved" (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Saved"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Saved" More at IMDbPro »

More realistic than you may realize

Author: mpoirier from United States
27 September 2006

As a former paramedic, I cannot say enough regarding how accurate the emotions and dialog are on "Saved (2006)". And there are many small details that EMS personnel will pick-up on right away and enjoy: from putting on sunglasses at the first sign of light in the morning, to the dispatcher complaining that you've been en-route to a call for too long, to name just two. On the flip side, two not-so-realistic aspects are: 1) the near-complete absence of fire department personnel (though this is a secret dream of most ambulance personnel), and 2) Wyatt's nearly complete absence of ever wearing a uniform (rarely happens for more than a few hours before you get narc'ed on).

Each episode has a dozen, or so, connected vignettes; they're realistic and the characters more often than not say what most paramedics just think (but are usually too professional to say). In reality, however, most medics will not encounter as much drama in a normal shift as is portrayed on "Saved". But that is OK; otherwise viewers would have to watch hours of boring television before there would be anything worth watching. Ten normal shifts (a month's worth) might equal one "Saved" episode. A movie covering some of the same ground, "Bringing Out The Dead (1999)", is much darker, but also condenses an inordinate amount of drama into a shortened time frame.

I would expect anyone willing to watch this show will enjoy it, but the medics in the audience will laugh at nearly every dark joke.

Some of the best screen writing i've ever seen

Author: woosa99 from United States
12 June 2006

I have to admit, I was excited about Saved, but I was also worried I would be disappointed. Let's just say I wasn't. I'd been excited all year about seeing the Closer again and I enjoyed Saved much more than I did the Closer. The characters came alive immediately, you feel like you know them, the screen writing is amazing, the acting is great. The show takes a different take on the whole hospital style scene--it goes to the paramedics and the initial trauma and captures the chaos and adrenaline-pumping rush to the scene and then to the hospital with an ambulance crew. It captures the emotion so well, and develops different parts of the characters very deeply, as well as maintaining the traumatic nature of a day in the life of 2 paramedics, yet there is an underlying humor and uplifting turn to it, and while it captures the gritty nature of the emergencies, it does not go into overkill with overly dramatized and exhibited blood or gore as with most shows where it isn't as necessary as it is played up to be. A great show, I recommend it whole heartedly, most of my family were not desiring to watch it at all, but I convinced them to give it a chance, and they ended up loving despite admitting to having premonitions of a total letdown, and they're stubborn people, so it's some doing to get them to admit they were wrong so kudos to Saved and its cast. As a final note, Tom Everett Scott and Omari Hardwick do a fantastic job acting and not just acting, but that higher level of portrayal where it becomes a creation in our imaginations so great do they develop themselves. Akin to John Keats "Ode On a Grecian Urn," they bring it alive to us just as in the phrase "Beauty is truth, truth beauty--that is all ye know on earth and all ye need to know." Enough said. It looks like it will be a fantastic series and I look forward to watching it again and sincerely hope it extends beyond only the summer season into the regular season of television.

Brutal honesty at its finest

Author: thattaylorgirl from United States
31 July 2006

This show is brutally real. Classifying Wyatt Cole as a "slacker hero" is totally on target; and who better to portray that slacker hero than Tom Everett Scott? The character dynamics are honest. The chemistry between Sack and Wyatt leaves little to be desired...it's perfect! They guys work well together, and seem to add a guttural sense of humor to otherwise dire situations. These guys are strong, physically as well as mentally. They obviously know this job inside and out, thanks in part to some great writing and acting! Tom Everett Scott is such a versatile actor, to see him in such a drama is great! He has a way of bringing the viewer into the show. I have to say I'm falling for his portrayal of Wyatt Cole. Thanks to marathon watching this past weekend, I've gotten completely hooked to this amazing drama!!

Terrific Show

Author: wildcardajc from New York
4 September 2006

I have seen many doctor/ER type shows on TV and none of them compare. Most shows take reality and tweak it a bit in order to satisfy the target audience. "Saved" is a work of genius. As a mobile EMT myself, I can relate to MANY things I see in nearly every episode. There is very little artistic license taken. Each of the characters in the series develops his or her own unique personality which can be easily picked up on. The series also contains a web of relationships which is built upon from episode to episode. This alone shows the time and thought that went into writing such a series. The series also properly portrays the stress inherit in the work of an EMT and Paramedic. All in all, "Saved" is a terrific must see series.

my 2 cents.....

Author: DCJerzeygrl from United States
30 July 2006

Tom Everett Scott is the heart & soul of 'Saved'. He makes this show work. Yes, the rest of the cast was thoughtfully-chosen and they interact wonderfully. However, if T.E. Scott was not the lead character I wouldn't be watching, and I don't believe I'm in the minority. He has that thing you can't turn away from or ignore. Rita Wilson saw it, bless her heart, and because of her he was cast in Tom Hanks, "That Thing You Do." The choice of music is smart and a breathe of fresh air as well. Even Wyatt's t-shirts make a difference. Can't wait till they release the DVD, I want it. 'Saved' is the best show on cable right now, don't miss it!! Oh, and for the record, I work for 2 doctors, both my brothers are doctors and I was set to marry one, but didn't (thank goodness).

Excellent Show

Author: A_Legend_in_the_maki-1 from United States
19 June 2006

This TV is excellent. Viewers make think this is similar to "Rescue Me" but it's not. "Rescue Me" has vulgar language and is not appropriate for all viewers. Granted there are going to be a few people who say this show is just a Rescue Me RIPOFF. It is similar considering they both deal with emergency situations, but the situations are totally different, one situation deals with fires and the other deals with medical emergencies. Although there is blood and other medical problems that may not be suited for those with extremely weak stomachs, although blood is almost normal for most television shows now. If you are looking for an excellent television show that is mostly clean and hardly no vulgar language, this is the show for you. This show and House, MD.

Saved being Canceled

Author: JBing495 from United States
11 May 2007

I am among many who cannot believe the series Saved is not being brought back! This show was so addictive, I never missed an episode and when I was stuck working, I made my husband tape it, he is an EMT and loved the show as well. Most of the people he works with were also watching it or were starting to because they were always discussing the show at work, and now this! I am not going to watch or promote to co-workers, family, or anyone any more shows on TNT, because if I like it, they will surely cancel it! This was a great show, and if it comes out on DVD, I would definitely recommend getting it. And if another network is wise enough to pick it up, WATCH IT!!!!

Apparently very real...for TV

Author: David Valdez from United States
9 August 2006

Love the drama and the real way things emerge and feel...I have a friend who is a trauma nurse, formerly he and his wife were both medics, and they were the ones who got me addicted...

The interaction between Wyatt and Alice is pretty real...it doesn't feel contrived...the frustration between Wyatt and his new boss are startlingly real, too. Wyatt's career decision and how it influences his relationship with his partner is powerful...

I'm not a TV person, so getting hooked is a surprise...

This series further cements the irrelevance of regular broadcast TV.

Where the hell is it filmed, tho?

Love it :)

Author: Stephanie Bell (hornsorhalo) from United States
7 July 2006

At first, I started to watch the show because I had seen Tom Everett Scott on a couple other things and just thought he was a doll. I didn't expect anything amazing from the show, just something to watch whenever I remembered over the summer. But as soon as the pilot had aired, I was immediately addicted. The show has such an amazing storyline.. Its amazing how easily humor and drama walk hand in hand. Yea, the show does have the whole "love triangle" thing going, but its not even a bad, horrible, boring one, as many shows are doing anymore. Granted, you still root for the people involved, but its not all the show focus on.

Over all, I was really impressed with not only the show, but the cast and writers as well.

Amazing!

Author: PunkyD20391 from United States
18 July 2006

Now, when I first heard of "Saved", I thought great, another doctor/hospital show. But it isn't! For once they show the point of view from the Paramedics, who have just as an important of a job. Saved doesn't only follow the life of Wyatt, the gambler with family issues, but the others from the staff. There's Wyatt's partner who is trying to get his son into a very prestigious school on a Paramedics salary. There's also two other partners who couldn't be more opposite. One a soft, loving Christian man, the other a tough, hardworking woman . It's also original in the way they shoot things. Whenever the paramedics go to save someone, it shows flashbacks of that persons life. "Saved" is a very original, entertaining series. I really hope they continue with more seasons.