IMDb > "Kyle XY" (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Kyle XY"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Kyle XY" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Pretty Good

Author: trapt_headstrong06 from United States
28 June 2006

I'm thinking that this was a pretty good show. The first time I saw the previews, I didn't think too much of it. I figured that the guy playing Kyle was pretty cute, but it didn't get my attention enough for the show. However, the more they came on, the more it got me to wondering why he didn't have a belly-button, so I decided to watch it. I'm really glad that I did. It was extremely interesting. It was the best. If you are really into shows that give off a bit of a mysterious air, then Kyle XY is definitely for you. I'm definitely going to be watching the next episodes, it's got me in suspense, and I want to know what is going to happen next. I give Kyle XY a 10 out of 10, it is an excellent show.

Terribly Endearing

Author: trackstar195 from United States
5 July 2006

I recently had the chance to watch the pilot for Kyle XY, and to my surprise, I enjoyed it very much. Of course, this topic has been experimented with before: mysterious figure with no past, relatives, etc. But something in this circumstance struck my interest. To be perfectly honest, I don't know exactly what did it. The mother, a psychiatrist, or paranormal psychologist of sorts, decides to take the stranger in, seeing as there are no other options as of the present time. The family, which is made evident of having its own problems, takes in the boy, and of course has difficulty with him, are reluctant to accept him into household goings-on, etc. Now, I know this concept seems predictable and juvenile, as stated previously. But to me, its both invigorating and intriguing for a person, or thing, to have the rare behavior to come to the aid of those whom he has hardly met-displaying the purity of the human heart, and conversely, the wretchedness of the impurities around him. The conclusion of the episode had to be the most enjoyable though. As the family members who had once merely discarded Kyle from their lives welcomed him into their household, the viewer is acquainted with the kindness of strangers in an effort to put others before themselves--a notion brought about so rarely on both television, and in life. And while not perfect, Kyle XY has thusfar, that is in the pilot, exhibited inter-familial machinations as well as captivating abilities of observing one's surroundings, and all without ever losing itself along the way. It is curious where this plot will lead, how all the mystery will be concluded, and we will all be there to see it...every step of the way. Afterall, it's part mathematics, and part....euphoria.

excellent show

Author: chrstngal03 from United States
3 July 2006

This show is excellent. The writers have a way of giving you the information you crave in just tiny doses at a time, kind of like 24. They keep you wanting to continue watching so you can try and gather more pieces of the puzzle to find out who exactly Kyle XY is. If you're one for suspense and mystery and a little science fiction then this show is definitely for you. I can't wait for each new show so we can find out a little more about Kyle's past. Who is he, where is he from, why can't he remember anything at all about his past? How is it that he can do all these magnificent things but can't demonstrate simple human emotions? I guess we just have to tune in next week and subsequent weeks to find out.

Interesting

Author: Jackie_Michele (chele2382@yahoo.com) from Arizona
30 June 2006

You know, after the whole Roswell and X Files debacle I really wasn't all too interested about the "alien" television show. The aforementioned shows were good but they were definitely lacking.

I personally think Kyle XY has found the *it* factor.

Imagine taking a 17 year old kid who is from a different country and is suddenly plunked down in the middle of America with no means of communication. Well then, you've got Kyle. He is about as strange as they come. A human shaped being and no belly button and no information to draw from as to how to interact with other beings.

Now it would be boring to just watch a show about a kid who is seemingly another life form and doesn't know how to communicate, just as it would be boring to watch a foreign exchange student during your lunch period right before chem class. The interesting thing about this show is that the voice overs done by Kyle walks the audience through his emotions and his thoughts as he is remembering his first days as a human.

It is the most beautiful experience; almost as if you looking at the world through a newborn's eyes. You see what they see and you hear what their first thoughts were. Beautiful.

Since ABC doesn't really have a good Friday line up coming in the Fall, I'd like them to keep this show around to see what comes of it. It sucks you in with wondering what Kyle is.

Not bad at all

Author: unicornpeg2003 from United States
30 June 2006

I must confess that I'm a nut for supernatural fare and was not expecting to enjoy Kyle XY but it's summer and there's nothing much on. I was pleasantly surprised at how much this pilot teased my interest. Sure the script might seem a bit familiar but the story is tantalizing and I'm hungry for more. It originally aired on ABC Family but don't let that fool you. It is not a strictly kid's show. Give it a chance especially if you have a taste for the unusual. This show is a combination of drama, family fare and supernatural. Any X-Files fans will have a pleasant jolt when you see the mysterious man watching our hero. I also have to admit that I felt a slight tug at my heart at the sight of how this family takes to helping this strange...and I do mean strange...teenager who appears from out of nowhere.

The entire crew are all awesome!

Author: juggernaut1977 from United States
28 August 2006

This is a show with pizazz and originality supreme. It is superbly cast. The star, Matt Dallas is truly a star. His eyes beam with sincerity and believability. He has a very warm and sincere personality. The family's interactions remind me of my own family. I came from a family of 8. The family interaction is totally believable and superbly acted by all parties. They make you want to belong to the family. Jean-Luc Bilodeau portrayal of the ding bat brother is supremely done. His character reminds me of me at his age. I just heard that there will probably be another season and I am elated. I hope this family continues in the new season. Can't wait. Next year it way too long! Next week would be much better.

A new take on sci-fi

Author: huitzilipochtli from United States
29 August 2006

Being somewhat of a mix of a soap-opera, "The Pretender", and "Dawson's Creek", this show certainly surprised me, especially since I don't much care for those three.

We start with a basic mysterious boy story - he has some exceptional abilities, no memory, a caring psychiatrist, a newly acquired family to take him in, and a mysterious stalker - within which setting he must try to discover his identity.

This premise sounds pretty boring and even overdone in movies and TV, but the show grew on me, and I was hooked by the end of the season. Though many comments complain about the poor script and wooden acting, I beg to differ. Matt Dallas is well cast as a juvenile and naive character. He is supposed to have that doe-eyed-in-on-coming-head-lights look. I have to admit that some of the overall dialogue approaches cheesiness at times, but for the most part, the story stands well on its own and makes up for that.

I also thought this had nowhere to go after the first season, but the writers managed to put in a decent finale that will keep fans interested for the next season.

Some people have complained about the "adultness" of the material. I suppose this isn't the type of show for children to watch if they aren't yet familiar with typical teenager topics like sex, drinking, relationships, drugs, and general mischief; all the stuff that I'm sure many parents want to turn a blind eye to. Is it appropriate for ABC Family channel? You be the judge. Try it out, though. I think you'll enjoy the series. 7/10

Positive review

Author: mtnmanvt from United States
16 July 2006

I didn't know what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised to find that for the most part, the show is interesting. It combines a number of concepts including that of the outsider, and the "alien's" eye view of humanity. The main character is at once an alien, an alienated teen, and a baby in an adolescent's body. These different experiential views combine to offer some commentary on humanity, particularly US culture (since that's where the story takes place). There are some hokey cheesy moments, but overall I think "Kyle XY" offers viewers multiple opportunities to ask meaningful questions about the nature of life, reality, and our own values.

Fun show

Author: One_Blaze_Of_Glory from United States
26 July 2006

"Kyle XY" is a fun and interesting show. Perhaps it's not the best ever, but personally, I quite enjoy it. The mystery of Kyle's past keeps unfolding in each episode, and keeps you enticed and wanting to watch more. Matt Dallas gives a good performance as Kyle, with a believable supporting cast. Though it can get a bit risqué at times, it is still fun to watch. I'd recommend it to anyone thirteen or older who enjoys a good mystery. It might not be for everyone, but those who I know that have seen it like it. You should try it out. As I said before, it's not the best show ever, but it's a guilty pleasure of mine. :) Thus, I give it an 8 out of 10.

A Parable for Foster Care

Author: Tim Shaw (teejayniles2345) from USA
1 July 2006

This mystery-science fiction series pilot shows a lot of promise as far as commentary on how far can the "helping professions" go; it is definitely a "blue state" kind of show (set in Washington State) since it implies a kind of alien visitor who can be plopped in front of "old style" computers and assumed to be techno-adept without much sense of what language he speaks or their importance. The director knows how to fold in a certain sense of threat and danger without going off in bizarre or grotesque scenarios. The helping family is seemingly ready to become the means to socialize the alien/savant and they are "instant foster parents/siblings" since the mother is apparently a state social worker/psychologist at Children/Family services of that state/county. The alien (Kyle is a "name" which seems a little too quickly attached to him) doesn't come with supernatural tools as did the "STARMAN" of a few years ago but he isn't quite a full amnesiac either since he is capable of narrating the first episode at least. For those of you looking for a mildly entertaining made-for-network series, on the basis of its pilot (June 30) I give it a 9 * rating). I hope the next episodes get shown on ABC main network and the creative thinking is given its full credit.

Page 1 of 13:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]