IMDb > "Doctor Who" Doomsday (2006) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Doctor Who: Doomsday (#2.13)"

"Doctor Who" Doomsday (2006)

« Prev | 27 of 155 Episodes | Next »

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

What a great finish to a great series!

Author: djarmhp from Kent, UK
9 July 2006

This was an episode that brought together everything that is best about the new Doctor Who. David Tennant, alternately comic and dangerous, has completely eclipsed Chris Eccleston despite Eccleston's brilliance in the first series. Billie Piper completed her journey from ingénue to the best assistant that the Doctor has ever had. Jackie, Pete and Mickey all reappeared as the Tyler family group proved its strength in the extreme situations that the Doctor has forced them into. The face off between Daleks and Cybermen was the best moment of the two series so far with the two races bickering hilariously. Finally, in a series that has never been afraid to explore the idea of the Doctor in love there was the most satisfying and tear-jerking ending possible to the great relationship of the last two years. The final teaser for the Christmas episode was as funny as it was totally unexpected and promises much for the programme's long term future. Long live the Doctor!!

What a great finale!

Author: cassandra2006 from Australia
10 July 2006

Loved and cried my way through this episode. Highly satisfactory all round. DT is a truly magnificent actor and a superlative Doctor and Billie was just perfect in the angst of her closing scenes.

And yes, if the Doctor were not such a gabby alien, for whom dozens of words and a gob full of complex sentences are never enough, he *would* have said the three short little words - just 8 letters! - that mean so much! But his two minutes ran out before he was even part the way there.

Rose knew though. Of course she did.

And she is right. She's dead. Dead inside, dead of grief, but dead all the same.

<>SOB<> ETA May 9, 2015. Caught a repeat of this episode on TV a few days ago. Found that I still love it unreservedly. Spent some time noticing how very good Camille Codouri is as Jackie, Rose's mum. I mean, she is REALLY good. And yes, I still cried when Ten closed the breach, leaving a distraught Rose on the other side, locked in the Alt Universe. Thanks, RTD. You are much missed.

<>SOB<>

Season 2: Tries to do some new things with mixed (but mostly good) results but always has the ol' faithfuls to fall back on (and does) (suggestive spoilers)

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
28 December 2006

Fresh from his most recent transformation, the Doctor is back to full strength as he and Rose continue their journey across space and time. Together they face werewolves, clockwork robots, cat-like nuns and other new challenges but their biggest threats come in some all-too-familiar shapes.

With the first new season of Dr Who a comparative smash that left the laughable ITV schedules (Celebrity Wrestling anyone?) trailing miserably in its wake, the second season had a lot to live up to and, in particular David Tennant had to make sure that he wasn't to blame for "blowing it" if the worst did happen. The second season continues with the format re-established by the first in mixing types of stories together and providing a good range of entertainment for the diverse Saturday night viewing audience. The upside of this continues to be that the series does cover a lot of bases and give something for most viewers – sci-fi, monsters, character, romance, comedy and so on, all these are ticked off fairly regularly across the season if not each episode. The downside of this is that almost everyone will hate at least one episode and myself I did think there were one or two poor ones in there.

The writers do an OK job of modernising the series for today but not by scrapping everything that has gone before. I don't think that Davies is the second coming (or even close) but he has produced perfectly serviceable scripts, stories and dialogue for the vehicle; after Torchwood I think his ability to write for strictly adult audiences is questionable to say the least but Dr Who is certainly not aimed at adults exclusively! The creatures and aliens created are mostly not that good. Mostly they fill the episode well enough to do the job but beyond that I didn't really see many of them lasting much beyond that. It is telling that season two repeated season one by bringing back the old characters for the biggest impact (the Daleks again but the Cybermen were very good value as well). This will happen again in season three if the trailers are to be believed and it does work but it would be nice for them to be able to build on the portfolio of memorable characters they have.

Tenant settles into the part well although at times he was just a bit too panto for my liking. It is not all his doing because the script does push him into overdoing some of the elements of the character but he was very good at the smaller moments and intimacy that balanced out this reasonably well. He also does well at showing a darker streak when given the opportunity – something I would like to happen more often. Piper continues to be very good value here and she seems to be better at judging the balance and producing a more stable character. She does produce comedy, fear and character but it is much more consistent for her on the page I think and her delivery is better as a result. She ends her character well and it does make me think that filling her role will be an even bigger challenge than making the leap between Eccleston and Tennant.

Best. Episode. Ever.

Author: Markian Hlynka from Edmonton, Canada
10 July 2006

I've probably seen nearly every Dr. Who episode out there, and this may be the very best. If not, it certainly ranks up there with Adric's death, or Nyssa's departure, or Tegan's struggles. And let's not forget Ace, who had a special relationship with a very erratic doctor.

Others have already written excellent reviews, so I won't be redundant. Doctor Who shows time and again that science fiction can be about people, and not merely about remodulating the polarity of the main deflector's tachyon flow. The structure of Dr. Who allows the producers fabulous flexibility, and keeps an audience on the edge of their seat. Anything could happen to anyone at any time. Whether Rose confronts a Dalek, or Ace attacks a cyberman, we're never sure if that's their last moment.

Has it occurred to anyone else that the whole time-war background story might be the seed for a truly excellent Dr. Who movie? Also, I think that it's time for the Doctor to have a crew again. I don't think he'll be able to commit to a single assistant for a while now, and I believe I would be disappointed to see him do so.

In conclusion, I'll say it once again: Best episode ever!

Doctor Who - Doomsday

Author: from United Kingdom
8 July 2006

This Episode is superb, and i must say a fine and delightful way to end the series.

It has the emotion value from "The Girl in The Fireplace", and has the action value from "The Parting of Ways" and "Dalek".

The overall main plot finish's at 35minutes and the last 10minutes show the after events that aren't relevant to the story but if they weren't there it would be an outrage to all viewers (i.e Bad Ending).

The series ends on a high and thankfully doesn't end with a cliffhanger, well a relevant one (The Runaway Bride, Christmas Special). It's worth the wait to see each Doctor Who episode and this one fills a nice gap that we all had for the finale - that it was a good one!

The first word I uttered as the end credits started rolling - "Excellent..."

Author: newtondkc from Morgantown, WV, United States
8 July 2006

After last week's superior "Army of Ghosts" introduced so many plot points, my main fear was there'd be no way to resolve them and give enough time to Rose's departure to do the character justice. I am happy to say I needn't have worried as this episode resolved everything (and satisfactorily at that!) and gave a pleasing amount of time for the "death" of Rose.

After reading so many rumors about what the death could mean (bringing in everything from Sunset Blvd to theories of bad writing), I didn't know what to think. I truly love the character of Rose, and especially Piper's portrayal. Giving her equal billing with the Doctor himself would have been impossible in the old days; I'm glad the new series broke new ground in this respect - it allows the new series to be easily digested by old die hard fans and new fans and casual viewers alike, not to mention allowing us all a more developed perspective of the Doctor, the way the adventures are told, and a level of identification with "real" characters never seen before (and, sadly, not even seen in many series today!).

For that, and countless other reasons, I have to tip my hat (or curtsey, or take off something, or whatever the proper "display of respect and admiration" is in vogue in Britain these days) to Russel T. Davies. We are so very fortunate to have him helming the Doctor's comeback and continuing adventures. Not only is he a fan, he is amazingly talented, and he uses his innate creativity to bring so many varying aspects of the world - nay, universe...err, "Multiverse" of Doctor Who to life. In his hands, the simplest action or scene can bring an astonishing amount of depth to any character. I first noticed this in "Rose" when the Doctor gives Rose his little speech about being able to sense the rotation of the Earth. Little speech; infinite depth. When I saw that, this shaved headed man - who bore no resemblance to any previous Doctor, or even the imagined "style" of how I perceived the character - suddenly became real to me unquestionably as "The Doctor" - that same (but always different) Time Lord from my youth.

As such, I had become so attached to Rose that I could actually envision the Doctor leaving Rose the TARDIS more easily than Rose leaving! And so the thought of killing her off was not something I wanted to see happen, and when she makes the noble sacrifice and lunges for the lever and, having "saved the world" starts the inexorable slide into "hell" - with the look on her face and the Docs - I swear I couldn't move, just sort of stuttered "N-n-NO!" I couldn't bear the thought of her facing such a fate, which inarguably would be worse than death...

All I will say, to avoid any true spoilers, is that I am 100% satisfied with Rose's exit. It did the character justice, having made her such a real and tangible "person", and gives her an honorable departure. And yes, I cried - I wonder how many people did? The last scenes of the Doctor in the TARDIS, alone with tears running down his face, saying his own personal farewell to Rose in his own uniquely Doctor-ish way, was a first for the Doctor, whose character has grown in directions never before imagined - or indeed possible - in the old series. Much of this is due - to R. T. Davies' writing and characterization skill, as well as his willingness to break the mold of what defines a companion and happily surpassing all previous boundaries. As such, the Doctor's character has also grown and allowed to become more, yet still remain an alien with his secrets, and distant while at the same time moving getting closer - possibly only by being told primarily from the companion's perspective.

I really wonder who the next companion (or companions - it's always possible they may go for an expanded crew again) will be, not only in terms of actress (is the Torchwood employee that died from the "earPod" really who will portray her or is that rumor? Or is it the Bride? I noticed an "Introducing..." in the credits - is that a red herring to make us believe this is THE new companion or something else? Yes, we had a cliffhanger - not so sure I'd rate it as the previously described "massive", and it's almost a welcome one simply to know the Doc wouldn't be left to his lonely misery which we would be endlessly contemplating until Christmas!

In any case, this truly was an incredible episode, and right now it's easy to vote it the Best Episode Ever.

Here's to the future, and I hope whoever we get will be as "real" as Rose - though obviously Billie Piper leaves some big (and talented!) shoes to fill. But half the fun is getting to know a character - and in Rose's case, we're not just losing Rose, but for all practical purposes, a cast of 2 other "recurring" companions of Mickey and Jackie (and to a lesser extent Pete), both bringing quite a bit of welcome familiarity and entertaining perspectives of their own. The TARDIS will seem very empty indeed...

Here's hoping Russel and the Gang keep the quality and the entertainment stakes equally high - if so, then I will be an eager viewer of WHO for many seasons to come.

NewtonDKC@msn.com

An amazingly powerful close to the episode.

Author: crazyman-5 from United States
23 December 2006

If you take Rose Tyler out, you make an all to familiar error in episodic television. People want a face, a person, an emotional investment for the show to carry, cherish even protect. This show moves from danger to danger and a new generation of viewers is following and Rose is our steady link to this chaotic light speed introduction into "the Doctor's" world. With so many things that we're asked to accept you must give us our constant attachment to Billie Piper's face and Rose's innocence turned confidence in the face of multiple calamities. If you move on without giving us our face, I may still follow but you'll never get the same emotional investment nor the same desire to follow.

Billie Piper, oooh. Well played. I'm not some renowned critic or some stiff aristocrat spouting opinions in the Queen's English. I'm not going to effect your life in the slightest way with my feelings. But by golly that was some impressive acting, for TV or any other medium. Brava!

Annoyed... but a great episode nonetheless

Author: Dark_Side_Mistress from United Kingdom
10 July 2006

I was really upset that Billie decided to leave, but what a great way for her to go! The only thing I was annoyed with is the fact that the link to the Christmas episode was harsh, considering it followed a moment of such high emotion. Oh, and having the new assistant play a character other than that? A little confusing...

Overall, this was a fantastic finale! Can't wait until Christmas, but it won't be the same without Rose Tyler!

Just a personal thing... If David Tennant decides to leave next season, I will scream! He is the best Doctor yet, and the on-screen partnership with Billie is the best I have ever seen. If they wanted chemistry with the new assistant, I say bring back Madame Du Pompadour!

Sometimes Awful . Sometimes Brilliant

Author: Theo Robertson from Isle Of Bute, Scotland
25 June 2008

Boy oh boy . Daleks versus Cybermen . Has there ever been a fan who hasn't dreamed about this battle royal ? I don't think so either but watching this episode it becomes rather obvious why previous producers haven't come up with this before and that is you've got to sacrifice plot . Even so there's much to dislike bout this episode such as the dialogue between the Daleks and Cybermen which borders on the ridiculous . I honestly kept expecting one or the other to screech " OH CHECK HER . I'LL SCRATCH YOUR EYES OUT DUCKIE " There's another flawed aspect and that is RTD has made the Daleks invulnerable to weaponry . Anyone else feel themselves getting bored as the Daleks exterminated millions of CGI Cybermen without a single loss ? I also thought that director Harper could have used a much longer battle sequence between the Cybermen and the soldiers on the bridge . What about those big rayguns the freedom fighters from the parallel universe brought with them ? Didn't they look ridiculous ? What about that sequence where the " Cyberwomen " suddenly regains her humanity to let the good guys out of a hot spot . Was RTD writing this as he was going along ?

On second thoughts I shouldn't be getting too cynical because while Russell T Davies is a far from brilliant writer he does at least know what makes the show a success and that is imagery . He also knows that if you convert a child in to being a fan of the show they'll follow it for life . So what can be more compelling than seeing literally thousands of Daleks flying above the London skyline exterminating everything that moves ? I promise you any child watching this scene will never be able to forget it as with the Daleks being sucked in to Torchwood Tower . Yes they'll never think of Canary Wharf , it'll always be known as Torchwood Tower

I doubt if any younger fan of the show will be able to forget the departure of Rose either . The first season of the revival made Rose th focus of the show rather than the ninth Doctor and she was superbly played by Billie Piper . I remember feeling very , very sad in 1973 when Jo Grant was written out of the how nd totally empathised with the third Doctor as he drove in to the sunset alone . But even so this pales compared with the departure scene here . Again you could be cynical and claim Davies has over egged the pudding but again any child fan would like the Doctor be reduced to tears . Congratulations are also in order for introducing Catherine Tate without any pre publicity

Totally Excellent

Author: jane-337 from United Kingdom
31 October 2006

I have been an avid Sci Fi fan for as long as I can remember. At the age of 5 I had a toy Dalek and I have followed the Doctor and his adventures ever since. When it was announced that there was to be a new Doctor for a new Millennium, I was eager to see what the BBC could produce. They have not disappointed me in the slightest. I have watched this particular episode something approaching 10 times and every single time I cry buckets for Yvonne doing her duty for Queen and Country, for Rose losing the man she totally loves, for the Doctor losing a huge part of himself and quite selfishly, for myself. Apart from the quite amazing (for TV budgets) CGI the story line is very carefully crafted dipping between fun, madness, scariness and the total despair of Rose as the void closes. I have been told that crying for Rose and the Doctor is a "girl thing" but watching the Doctor's face as he sees Rose's fingers slip from the lever, or the possibility that Rose was pregnant is a human thing and quite honestly I have never cried so much at a piece of TV or film since "Silent Running" Long may this roller-coaster of emotion and action continue .... and as for being a "girl thing" I don't care and will continue to be one and continue to love Sci Fi in all its guises.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]