"Zane Grey Theater" Muletown Gold Strike (1956)

« Prev | 12 of 146 Episodes | Next »

A Well-Written Show With A Nice Twist

Author: ccthemovieman-1 from United States
5 September 2010

"Mason Ward" (Rory Calhoun) seems to be a bitter man. He better lighten up a little bit since he just got a job as the school teacher of young kids in a small Wyoming town but the Civil War did numbers on his mind. He's tired of hateful people and seems mad at the world. Can he chill out and start a new life with a new attitude?

What exactly is going to be the story in here? One wonders as one views the first few minutes as the kids and town folks welcome this made with open arms, particularly a young boy who trusts his new teacher with his gold.

Well, without spoiling things it turned out to be a pretty nice story with a neat twist to it, which is why I don't want to say too much about this episode. I'll just say it finishes a lot different than it starts.

This is the kind of intelligent storytelling I'm beginning to expect (and appreciate) out of this great, old television series. Host Dick Powell was no dummy and he had some good writers writing the material on these weekly half-hour shows.