IMDb > "The X-Files" Two Fathers (1999) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The X-Files" Two Fathers (1999)"The X Files" Two Fathers (original title)

« Prev | 128 of 207 Episodes | Next »

Confessions Of A Smoking Man

Author: Muldernscully from Roy, Utah
9 February 2007

For the fans that had been waiting patiently or impatiently for 5 1/2 years for answers, they received a lot of them in Two Fathers. Two Fathers does a unique approach to this episode in that it is framed throughout with the Cigarette Smoking Man(CSM) unraveling the details of the alien conspiracy to an unknown person. I like the different approach. Using this storytelling style, the episode is interspersed with several flashback scenes detailing how the syndicate came to be. It's odd but refreshing to finally have all these answers given to us about the plans for colonization, especially since it comes from CSM's mouth. Before he dies, Dr. Openshaw tells CSM that a man shouldn't live long enough to see his children or his work destroyed. It's interesting because it foreshadows future events. Krycek appears as CSM's right-hand man in this episode. Krycek talks about CSM needing a successor to continue the work of the syndicate when he passes on. CSM tells Krycek that he's already chosen a successor. You can tell this disappoints Krycek, since he wanted to be the one. An interesting deleted scene shows Krycek expounding to CSM how great he thinks he is, doing a huge kiss-up job. Two Fathers lacks a little bit in the action department, but what makes it so good is all the answers we finally get. It holds your attention from beginning to end, not wanting to miss a word of all the information that is being dispensed, by none other than the Cigarette Smoking Man.

Our job was to secretly prepare the way for their invasion.

Author: Sanpaco13 from Sandy, UT, United States
28 June 2009

This episode seems to really pick right up where Patient X/The Red and the Black left off. We find out what happened with Cassandra Spender, what happened to Marita Covarrubias, we're back to the faceless aliens and Jeffrey Spender dealing with his mother and all that same old jazz. Cassandra is found again in a train car where doctors have finally turned her into "The One". The first successful alien human hybrid. This is seen by the viewer through an interesting sequence in which she is cut open with a laser and the wound self heals. She of course immediately wants to speak to Agent Mulder who unlike his previous appearance has rekindled his belief in extra terrestrials. The story of the episode really seems to be more about Jeffrey Spender and his father as he deals with performing henchman tasks and ultimately finding out that he has been working for the very people he thought he was working against. I was led to wonder about CSM's motives in sending Jeffrey to kill the imposter alien. He says that it was his last chance to carry on his legacy, but I don't quite see how having Jeffrey kill an alien carries on CSM's legacy. The only thing I could come up with is that by finally convincing his son of the truth about extra terrestrials that he would in fact become fully convinced of the importance of his father's work and follow in his footsteps. But of course Krycek decides to throw a wrench in the workings as always and reveals the full truth to Jeffrey about his mother and he ends up turning against his father instead. The episode ends with Cassandra escaping from the hospital and frantically begging Mulder to shoot her so that "they" can't get her. I have to admit the ending was a little hokey and unbelievable. I sincerely doubt that Mulder honestly would have shot her or even been tempted to as is implied. And for some reason Cassandra just bugs me. I mean she really is kind of a nut even if she is telling the truth about everything. Another thing I didn't quite understand was the significance of the picture of Bill Mulder and CGB Spender together. Didn't they know since a long time ago that Bill Mulder was part of the syndicate? Anyway. I give the episode a 7 out of 10

The Cigarette-Smoking Man Tells All

Author: (andyetris@yahoo.com) from Philadelphia, PA
19 October 2006

Part I of two. Patient X, Cassandra Spender, reappears as does "the syndicate" and the "alien rebels." C.G.B Spender, aka cancer man, explains the conspiracy to his secret agent at the FBI as the "mythology" seems to be heading to a climax. Cassandra isn't the only one convinced that she is the key to the aliens plans as Mulder and Scully scramble to protect her from those who want her dead... and those who want her alive!

After more than five seasons of developing suspense, it's a tad frustrating to have it all just laid out cold! Even as a stand-alone thriller, this is just too much explanation that should have been woven into a story whose climactic event, dealing with the rebel alien, is simply ridiculous in terms of what "the Syndicate" has been capable of before.