IMDb > "The X-Files" Tooms (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The X-Files" Tooms (1994)"The X Files" Tooms (original title)

« Prev | 21 of 207 Episodes | Next »

Liverwurst Sandwich Anyone?

Author: Muldernscully from Roy, Utah
18 April 2006

Tooms has the distinction of being the first sequel to a monster-of-the-week (MOTW) episode. It also has the distinction as being the first appearance of Assistant Director Walter Skinner. Also CSM speaks for the first time in this episode. This is a great episode. It's one of the better sequel episodes. It's not as creepy as Squeeze, but excels in a different way. I love the cinematography used to show Tooms point of view. When he sees a potential victim, he/she is dressed in bright blue and the surroundings turn to black and white. Mulder does his best Columbo impression in this episode. He hounds Tooms and doesn't allow him to kill like he wants. The ending was a bit unbelievable, but other than that, Tooms is another solid season one episode.

Worthy sequel

Author: ametaphysicalshark from prejudicemadeplausible.wordpress.com
5 October 2008

If memory serves well, "Tooms" is the first of three X-Files episodes where old 'monster of the week' characters are brought back for another episode, this featuring Eugene Victor Tooms and the other two featuring Pusher and Donnie Pfaster respectively. Although conventional wisdom holds that "Squeeze" is a classic and "Tooms" merely a satisfying sequel, I find "Tooms" just as enjoyable as "Squeeze" and possibly slightly better, perhaps.

Tooms, mostly thanks to Doug Hutchinson's inspired performance, is a fantastic villain, creepy and effective, and he is used well here with the mythology behind the character being developed further in this script by James Wong and Glen Morgan. In addition the script features some hilarious, inspired, and truly witty exchanges between Mulder and Scully, features CSM actually saying something, a rarity at this point in the series (not sure, but this might be the first time he speaks). The episode also introduces AD Skinner played by Mitch Pileggi, almost everyone's third favorite character after Mulder and Scully.

Creepy, witty, lots of fun, and featuring a great climax, "Tooms" is a worthy sequel to "Squeeze".

8.5/10

Sequel!

Author: TheScottman from United States
1 June 2006

I knew "Squeeze" was too good to end like that. This is not as good as "Squeeze", but most sequels arn't. This is not a bad episode at all, though. Anyway this episode is the triumphant return of Eugene Victor Tooms played by Doug Hutchison (The Green Mile) they also add Paul Ben-Victor (A Civil Action) that plays Dr. Aaron Monte who tries to help Eugene, because he truly believes he is sorry for what he has done.

Mulder can't let this one go, because he knows Tooms will kill again. He is always where Tooms is. It kinda make you feel as annoyed as Eugene must be. You get to see a lot more of what makes him tick and it's a very enjoyable episode. In my opinion Tooms deserved more episodes, but maybe it would get boring. I'll settle for two. It's a great episode, but just don't expect the same as "Squeeze".

Season 1 Gem

Author: wadegraves91 from United States
13 August 2010

X-files undoubtedly captured the hearts of many early into the first season, but truly gained recognition as the "creepiest show on television" with just the second episode (third if you count the pilot) entitled "Squeeze". While a fine episode, it left an open ending.

Fast forward almost 20 episodes. "Tooms" is the first of several X-files sequel episodes, and arguably the best. Doug Hutchinson, best known for his role in the "Green Mile" returns as Eugene Victor Tooms, A monster whom has the ability to shift, or "squeeze" through the smallest of entrances to gain access to his victims whom he murders and feasts on their livers in order to sustain himself and "hibernate". Mulder proceeds to hunt down Tooms after he is released from a psychiatric ward to make sure he does not kill again, and of course Scully comes along for the ride.

Aforementioned, this episode contains many firsts; the appearance of Skinner, the first words spoken by the CSM. It is the first sequel episode, and contains one of the best moments shared between Mulder and Scully in the first season. While it lacks a bit of the creepiness it's predecessor does, it still remains one of my personal favorite monster of the week episodes.

7.8/10

What an improvement over Squeeze

Author: Juan Sarmiento from Netherlands
20 July 2008

Woah, what an improvement over Squeeze. There are a lot of people who like Squeeze better.... seriously, WTF?

This episode is by far the creepiest of the season. Maybe one of the creepiest of the show. Some of it is even surprising compared to the rest of the season. The camera work was also brilliant, some of the best directing in the first season. what else? Yeah, the blossoming relationship between Mulder and Scully. They had so many great scenes together. and the introduction of Skinner.

I almost want to give this episode a FULL PRICE. but i'm giving it a FOUR stars instead because it's not one of my MOST favorites. but it's certainly the third best of the first Season. I loved how Tooms was vanquished =P

If you let him free, he will kill again.

Author: Sanpaco13 from Sandy, UT, United States
20 July 2008

Tooms the Limerick:

Tooms hunting liver again

Has suddenly found a new friend

Mulder close by

On him keeps an eye

And an escalator gives Tooms his end.

Tooms is the first sequel episode and it is the sequel to the first Monster of the Week episode. As such it deserves special recognition regardless of whether one necessarily likes it or not. It helped to set a trend of other Monster of the Week episodes including others which earned sequels such as Irresistible/Orison and Pusher/Kitsunegari. It is even more unique in that it is the only sequel to a Monster of the Week that is seen in the same season as the first one.

That all being said it is just as good as the original. Tooms is in prison still but we soon find out that annoying doctors are for some crazy reason not seeing that he is a very disturbed individual and simply because they can't look past the fact that he is over a hundred years old they instead decide to ignore the evidence against him and let him go. Mulder and Scully stake him out waiting for him to strike his last victim. Unfortunately events lead to a restraining order against Mulder as Scully tries to find evidence against Tooms from the murders that occurred 30 years ago. Soon the evidence is found but too late as Tooms has taken his final victim in the doctor who got him out in the first place. Mulder and Scully find him under the escalator where his apartment used to lie and Tooms is crushed to bile jelly in the end. I don't have much to say about the episode but I did like it. 9 out of 10.

Classic!

Author: koalablue_1993 from Australia
8 August 2008

The most re-watchable X-Files episode of season one. This sequel to "Squeeze" is much superior and creepier. Doug Hutchison is awesome as Tooms! He was the perfect choice to play the character. There is also a great "shipper" moment between Mulder and Scully inside a car. We see Walter Skinner for the first time in this episode, it is a great introduction to the character. Cigarette Smoking Man makes another appearance and he is given his first line (I love Cancer Man he is so cool)! The final scene in the escalator is a must see X-Files moment. Eugene Victor Tooms still deserved more episodes he was killed off too soon. A very entertaining episode.

Eugene, Eugene it's Doctor Monte.

Author: Reiss Ferlance from United Kingdom
1 November 2006

In The episode Squeeze we left off with liver eating mutant Eugene Tooms staring in the Druid Hill Sanitarium one year ago, now it's a year later. Tooms is on parole , and Mulder's not to happy about that, but Tooms is released and continues his search for his fifth and final liver, Mulder determined as ever to stop him, follows his every move, conducting unauthorised surveillance of Tooms. Scully's also their to help Mulder. Mulder puts his job, and even his life at risk, but Tooms manages to find a fifth and final liver. Another brilliant episode of The X Files, everyone knew that Squeeze wasn't going to end like it did, the fans wanted another slice of entertainment. The ending scene scared me senseless when I was younger and hopefully does the same to you

If you release Eugene Tooms he will kill again. It's in his genetic make-up.

Author: Alexander Cappelli
9 August 2015

"If you release Eugene Tooms he will kill again. It's in his genetic make-up." – Fox Mulder.

Episode 21, 'Tooms', original air date April 22nd, 1994. Written by Glen Morgan and James Wong, directed by David Nutter. Monster of the week episode count, 16. 'Tooms' marks the first of only three MOTW episodes that were written as direct sequels to an earlier show. Morgan & Wong return for their final contribution to the first season with a worthy successor to their series debut, 'Squeeze'. Several notable elements contribute to this episode's success, principally Doug Hutchison's inspired performance as the title character. As mentioned in the review for 'Squeeze' it was not surprising that Tooms made a second appearance considering Hutchison's lasting impression. Moreover the writer's introduced a major player to the X-Files cast, Assistant Director Walter Skinner, played by Mitch Pileggi. Watching over his shoulder we have the puppet master pulling the strings, returning for the first time from the pilot and delivering his first line of dialogue in the series, the aptly named 'Cigarette Smoking Man'. Add to that some endearing moments between Mulder and Scully, framed around a skilfully crafted horror motif and 'Tooms' is easily one of the most enjoyable episodes from season one's standalone selection.

The episode revolves around the release of Eugeune Victor Tooms, a monstrous serial killer who feeds on human livers for sustenance, enabling him to hibernate for extended periods of time. Dr. Aaron Monte (Paul Ben-Victor), a psychiatrist who has been working with Tooms and genuinely believes he no longer poses any threat, aids in his release from a psychiatric institution. Mulder tries to warn the panel that Eugene will kill again but thanks to his his outlandish theories about Tooms' true nature his plea falls on deaf ears. Mulder is stubbornly dedicated to the pursuit of truth, sometimes to his own detriment. He once again ignores F.B.I protocol and proceeds to conduct round the clock surveillance on Tooms. Eventually thanks to the help of retired Detective Frank Briggs (Henry Beckman), who returns from 'Squeeze', Scully uncovers one of Tooms' missing victims that proves definitively that he committed the murders in the 1930's. However this isn't enough to warrant an official arrest and Mulder and Scully end up tracking Tooms to his hideout where they end up in a fight that ultimately leads to his demise.

Great sequels are always able to recognise what worked the first time and expand upon the concept, offering up something fresh and exciting that is still born from the foundation set by the original. 'Tooms' does exactly that as Morgan & Wong give us more of an insight in to the mind of their monster. We literally see through his eyes while we stalks his prey. We learn that he is more intelligent and devious than he first appeared. In 'Squeeze' he was presented more as an instinctual creature driven by his insatiable hunger. This time around however, we see that he is far more cunning and manipulative. He is able to convince Dr. Monte to release him and even attempts to frame Mulder by entering his apartment and carefully manufacturing evidence to support his claim. This deeper insight into the character makes the sequel worthwhile, as it provides something new to the story. If Morgan & Wong had simply delivered another 'Squeeze' it would have felt stale and unnecessary, despite the success of the original.

Skinner will become a fan favourite and an integral character to the X-Files mythology in particular. While his role in this episode is small it still provides an intriguing suggestion at the depth of the looming conspiracy against Mulder and the X-Files unit. Skinner was originally conceived as a counterpoint to Mulder and Scully, who would hinder their operations and actively work to obstruct their investigations. However as the series progressed, the character became a crucial ally to the agents, possibly their only true friend within the F.B.I. It's possible to argue that Skinner was always more supportive of Mulder's work than he appeared and that his initial opinions to the contrary were solely for the benefit of his watchful superior, the Cigarette Smoking Man. CSM is present during all the meetings between the Assistant Director and the X-Files agents and although he utters only one single line in the episode, it's clear that he wields the power in this relationship. It's a testament to the charismatic performance by William B. Davis that his character has such weight and presence, despite barely speaking. We are instantly drawn to him, though we know practically nothing of his background or true intentions, we're suitably intrigued by his inclusion in these scenes.

The relationship between Mulder and Scully has a seen a great deal of growth since we last saw Eugene Tooms. In a highlight of the episode, the agents share a touching moment in Mulder's car as he conducts the surveillance. Scully, for the first and only time in the series, directly refers to the Mulder as Fox. "I wouldn't put myself on the line for anybody but you," she declares to him. This is huge confession for Scully and shows us just how far she has come from the beginning of the series. 'Shippers', fans who are deeply invested in the romantic relationship between Mulder and Scully, would consider this moment a key turning point in their burgeoning relationship. She defends Mulder's unorthodox approach to investigation and openly admits her involvement in his unsanctioned surveillance to her superiors. There is no doubt at this point that Scully is invested in the X-Files unit and believes their work is justified.

Liver Boy 2: Return Of The Fox

Author: Dresden_Doll_101 from United Kingdom
5 September 2007

Tooms is a worthy sequel to Squeeze. Usually, sequels don't go good, but this one carried off quite nicely. Creepy, Liver Boy returns and Mulder is doing everything to stop him taking any more livers. =O =] It is not as thrilling as Squeeze, but it does live up to expectations. Anyway, now I shall say the good and bad points about this episode,

The Good: I love how what he wants if coloured and everything else is black and white. x]

That escalator scene.

He beats himself up and says Mulder does it. XD

The Bad: Isn't eating his therapists liver a but obvious?

Conclusion: Great sequel. Tooms is pure evil. 8/10