IMDb > "The X-Files" Release (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The X-Files" Release (2002)"The X Files" Release (original title)

« Prev | 199 of 201 Episodes | Next »

Well ... every problem has got a solution, right?

Author: Muldernscully from Washington Terrace, Utah
3 December 2007

With the series quickly coming to an end, the X-Files writers decided to tie up all the loose side story lines. Release ties up Doggett's personal story about the abduction and murder of his son.

I've always admired the X-Files' willingness to mix things up. They add the element of titles to various scenes of the episode; namely, The Tip, Ashes, A Message, and Release. It's almost as if they're dividing the episode into chapters of a book.

Mark Snow adds a beautiful piano score to this episode that is very touching. I wish it could have been used in more of the episode. The man is a master. Kim Manners, who directed this episode, has some very poignant shots, especially of Cadet Hayes' apartment. His direction is very fine in this episode.

The guest character of Cadet Rudolph Hayes is very intriguing and interesting. His facial expression is very unique, as if he is purposely trying to keep his mouth shut, whenever he's not talking.

Barbara Patrick, Robert Patrick's real life wife, plays his ex-wife of the same name. She does an all right job, nothing spectacular. The one line of hers I didn't like is when she tells Scully that Doggett could have something with Reyes but he won't let her in. Why would Doggett's ex-wife know anything about his relationship with his female co-worker and why say anything to Scully? The writers just wanted to do one final reference to Doggett and Reyes' relationship. The line doesn't fit and shouldn't have been used.

I felt that the resolution to Doggett's storyline was rushed because of the decision to end the series. Was Follmer meant to be a part of this storyline from the beginning? Maybe this was intentional by the writers, but Cadet Hayes said that he had another message, then he asks to be taken back to the institution. We don't see him again or hear what the message was. Maybe Hayes told Doggett where to find Regali. It felt too abrupt how Hayes left.

Release is a very fine episode resolving Doggett's son storyline. Robert Patrick does a great job, especially when telling the story of his son to Cadet Hayes. However, I felt that this storyline needed to be fleshed out a bit more for it to have more of an emotional impact. As it is, Doggett finally receives closure with his son's death and that's all that matters.

One of Doggett's Best

Author: alex_united2 from United Kingdom
2 August 2008

What a class episode. I know the last 2 seasons of the X-Files have taken their fair share of knocks (not from me!), but you have to agree that although he is no Mulder (the man's a legend!), Doggett bring's something totally new to the series. At the start of season 8, it takes some getting used to seeing him as the main male lead, but after time you get to see that he is not just a typical hard-nosed cop, he has some subtle qualities that makes u warm to him. Robert Patrick does a fine job portraying all sorts of emotions when the wound of who killed his young son is re-opened, ranging from frustration and pain at having to re-live the whole event one more time, to the 'release' and closure he shares with his ex-wife after a great twist at the end means the killer is finally brought to justice in the only way that would deem satisfactory to the viewers (after the death of his son is revealed to be all the more horrific). Would it be more satisfying if the twist was sacrificed and Doggett was the man who pulled the trigger??? Fair play to the T-1000 for holding his own!

Fabulous!

Author: atgcb from Norway
8 March 2012

-- Release --

One of my all time favourite X-Files episodes.

For all those who are complaining about season 9, I recommend them watching the four last episodes (William, Release, Sunshine Days & The Truth) - they are all some of the episodes I remember best from this brilliant TV series.

This episode is not about aliens and UFOs, it's a kind of mystery/detective episode - where Dogget is trying to find a serial killer. Everything in this episode is so well made, the acting is brilliant and the story is truly fascinating. And then it's the music...

.. simply one of the best classical scores I've heard. I get goosebumps whenever I hear the classical anthem in this episode.. it should probably have been played even more. It get's you into the right mood right from the very beginning to the last emotional scene..

I recommend Release highly, even for those who don't like X-Files as well.... Full score from me. A must see!

Like I said, obvious.

Author: Sanpaco13 from Sandy, UT, United States
21 May 2010

I don't really have a lot to say about Release. They had introduced the story of Doggett's son being abducted and then they never really had time to get around to addressing it much other than a few episodes where it turned out to be non-related. So now we get the conclusion to Doggett's "Samantha story" and I have to be honest, at first I was really confused by what the episode is trying to say. All I can really figure out is that some guy who was in with the mob kidnapped Doggett's son and then the mobster guy killed him so he wouldn't be able to be a witness in any sort of upcoming trial. Fullmer was then paid off to keep quiet about it, but years later he can no longer live with the guilt and in the end he kills the alleged murderer and then we never see him again (Fullmer I mean). The strangest part is the addition of the schizophrenic guy posing as an FBI profiler student who is obsessed with details and in particular, Doggett's case. Anyway, those are the basic elements that make up the story. I think the music is great and some of the presentation is really well done, but overall the actual story doesn't quite cut it for me. I can only give this episode a 6 our of 10.

Another could-have-been-better-but-wasn't-that-bad season nine episode

Author: RuthAkien from United Kingdom
6 May 2010

I can't quite bring myself to think of having 'favourites' from season nine (mainly because even in fun eps they still don't know what to do with the three-agents dynamic and usually end up with Scully as a third wheel). But this is OK.

The good:

- It's nice that D's ex-wife still seems to really care about him, but it's a bit random to tell his co-worker (who you've only just met) who he should date. I found this kind-of funny (in face I lmao).

- Closure for D.

- Thought RP's real-life wife was pretty good in this.

- Liked the character of the forensics/trainee agent. Would have enjoyed more of him in a better ep. Would have enjoyed him being in the rest of the ep.

- Cool that D was going to kill, but I'm glad he didn't.

- great acting when D is hoping his ex will make the ID.

The less good:

- On the D & R note: can't we go one ep without pushing their romance (why can't it just be about D's son?). If you have to keep having characters TELLING us, then it doesn't work.

- Didn't buy the Brad Follmer thing: it was out of the blue that he happened to be linked to Luke's disappearance, but I would have bought it if he was the meddling bad-ish guy were promised he would be at the start of season nine. This was something I looked forward to but it never materialised.

- Not enough Scully.

- Didn't believe forensics/trainee agent would have to gone to all that effort to get his lead heard. D might have believed him if he'd brought evidence about other cases, but if f/ta brought it to R she'd have believed him no question (she'd have had feelings about it).

- Follmer mob-money thing out of nowhere as hadn't previously had this impression of the type of 'bad-guy' he is.

An OK ep, but considering it brought closure to one of the characters, should have been one of the best.