IMDb > "The X-Files" Red Museum (1994) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The X-Files" Red Museum (1994)"The X Files" Red Museum (original title)

« Prev | 34 of 201 Episodes | Next »

Clay's BBQ Ribs- Finger Lickin' Good!

Author: Muldernscully from Washington Terrace, Utah
24 April 2006

Rumor has it that Red Museum was just going to be a monster-of-the-week episode. Certain things fell through, though, and some myth/arc elements were added to flesh out the episode. So Red Museum is a unique episode that stands by itself but has a little bit of the mythology in it. It's a really good episode that sees the return of Deep Throat's killer. Red Museum does a good job of misdirection. Unfortunately I can't elaborate on it, because that would spoil the episode. The resolution with the crew-cut man, Deep Throat's killer, is a bit disappointing. I was left wanting for a little bit more. I really like the story and the mysterious "S/he is one" that was written on the backs of the victims. It's funny to see Mulder and Scully hunkering down over a set of dripping barbecue ribs. You don't see them eating a whole lot in the series. It seems like it's humorous when they do show it. You don't need to have seen 'The Erlenmeyer Flask' to enjoy this episode, but viewing it beforehand will help you understand Red Museum more.

A unique episode- a standalone with a mythology tie-in

Author: ametaphysicalshark from
25 November 2008

"Red Museum" is a unique episode in that it is structured like and feels like a standalone 'monster of the week' episode (small town+creepy elements=Mulder and Scully investigation) but has a mythology tie-in that comes late in the episode with Deep Throat's killer.

It's also a very, very good episode. I used to think that this script was all over the place, and that it had too many elements that were brought together too fast at the end. I mean, half-way through this episode you could be forgiven for calling it the "Brand X" of beef. In some ways it still is, but the focus of the episode changes. Still, upon this viewing I found a lot to appreciate in Chris Carter's script- it's intelligent, paranoid as the best of the X-Files tends to be, and creates a genuinely detailed and effective portrait of this small town in just 45 minutes.

"Red Museum" is atmospheric and creepy enough, the acting's good for everyone, the mythology tie-in is handled very well, and the script is strong. The general fan reaction to this episode seems to be 'meh, it's okay' or 'it's good', but I'd go a step further and say that this is an excellent episode, and very enjoyable.

Unexpected Mytharc in a MOTW

Author: XweAponX from United States
30 March 2012

This is almost like an episode of Fringe - That show does a lot of mixing Mytharc Eps into the MOTW eps. They do it in that show probably because they do not know if they'll get Nine seasons to tell their story with, like The X-Files had. This is the age of Reality TV and CSI.

But this was The X-Files second Season, and going strong. X-Files T-Shirts were appearing. Conventions were happening. Comic Books were being written and collected, Topps collectors cards, etc.

This is my day to review the creepier X-Files eps. Mulder and Skully visit a town where there is a "Red Museum" - A town that produces a lot of Beef, and right in the middle of this is a religious Cult that eat no meat and protect Cows, who have bought a Ranch and saved all of the cows.

What is interesting, are the concerns of the Cult - Which are expounded on by Mark Rolston ("Richard Odin") - We learn later are the concerns of this episode. We just haven't been told yet. And so, it gives the Cult just a slight air of Prophecy.

The Red Museum Church is being blamed for Kidnapping teenagers and imprinting them with the words "She is One" or "He is One" - Leaving the kids in a deranged state due to the use of Scopalomine. But in the end, The Red Museum proves to be a viable and valuable member of the Community.

There is a lot of tension between the Cultees and the Townees. It is like a veritable Stew-Pot is going to boil over, real soon unless Mulder and Skully can figure out what the blazes is going on.

The interesting thing, is the connection between this episode and "The Erlenmeyer Flask" - Which is dumped on us at the very end of the 'sode.

Great Writing, if only more eps were like this - But if they had done it that way, The X-Files would have run out of story in 4 years rather than 9. So we'll just accept this one unique MOTW-Arc episode available now at Your Local Red Museum©

Banjos and beef

Author: westside-surfer from Okinawa, Japan
9 August 2014

I can't get enough of X-files in Hickville. It's the perfect combination: ultra-intelligent aliens with country bumpkins. The writers really cranked up the creepiness in this episode. Teens are found wandering around in the woods with mysterious messages on their backs. Meanwhile, a stranger is spying on a family through a peephole inside their house. That's some twisted stuff.

A cult of vegetarians exists in the middle of beef town. The writers excellently portrayed the bigotry against them, which exemplified the fear of the unknown. The cult could have been better utilized, so much potential for additional weirdness.

Towards the end the story begins tripping over its shoelaces. Various aspects are left unexplained by plot holes rather than authentic mystery. Luckily, the episode's strong feeling and great acting make the few story glitches entirely forgivable.

Adventures in Cattle country

Author: thebigeasy555 from Ireland
26 April 2006

This is another archetypal x-files episode.Combining an interesting story,solid acting with a neat twist you will be enjoying a fantastic episode. Young adults are being abducted and drugged.they turn up later in a state of confusion and being branded as "he/she is one".A local cult led by an eccentric figure who regards meat eaters as primitive cannibals are immediately blamed for the abductions. However as the agents investigate deeper a web of government deceit and lies is apparent.It is revealed the government has been carrying out secret tests on the town's children with the help of a local corrupt doctor who dies in a plane crash after fleeing the town.

A lone operative has been sent in to remove all evidence of government involvement.He is successful until Mulder tracks him down to the meat plant. the episode culminates in the shooting of the government operative by the local sheriff who's own son was a victim of this shady characters actions.A highly charged emotional moment.

Overall an episode of high quality

Author: Alexander Cappelli
3 October 2015

"They who slaughter the flesh, slaughter their own souls, and must be taught the way." - Richard Odin.

Episode 10, 'Red Museum', original air date December 9th, 1994. Written by Chris Carter, directed by Win Phelps. Mythology episode count, 11. This episode appears at first to be a Monster of the Week until it shifts gear mid-way and ends up tying in to the mythology arc by making reference to season 1 finale, 'The Erlenmeyer Flask'. Carter's script is directed by one time contributor to the show, Win Phelps, and together they manage to deliver a creepy thriller which upon initial viewing can appear somewhat convoluted. However, after revisiting the episode I tend to disagree with the generally unfavourable reviews and argue that while there are certainly many elements to the plot, it's easy enough to follow if you can keep up with the pace.

Teenagers are going missing in a small town and re-appearing, scared and disoriented, stripped to their underwear with the words 'He/She Is One' written across their backs. It's a disturbing and mysterious image that grabs the audience from the opening scene. Mulder and Scully are investigating the presumed kidnappings with the help of local sheriff Mazeroski (Steve Eastin). Mazeroski is convinced that the perpetrator of these crimes is the leader of a religious cult known as the 'Church of the Red Museum', Richard Odin (Mark Rolston). While this group of religious vegetarians certainly appear strange in their white cloaks and red turbans, they are simply misunderstood and wrongly accused. Thanks to a toxicology report from one of the victims, Scully learns that the teenagers have all been injected with what appears to be 'Purity Control'. The government has been working with a local doctor, Jerrold Larson, to conduct human tests in order to study the effects of injecting alien DNA in to the teenagers. A peeping tom who was involved in this experiment has been kidnapping these teenagers and marking them in a bizarre attempt to expose the purity control tests. Meanwhile a figure known as 'The Crew Cut Man' (in 'The Erlenymeyer Flask') and credited here as 'The Cleaner', has been sent to destroy all evidence that could expose his employers. Scully recognises him as the same man who shot and killed Deep Throat and the episode ends with a tense one on one fight between Mulder and The Cleaner which results in his death.

While this episode doesn't offer any significant hard evidence to support Mulder's theory regarding Purity Control, it still offers another alluring glimpse in to this shady conspiracy. Mark Rolston is always convincing at portraying someone who doesn't seem quite right and he's almost wasted in this episode as his engaging performance could have been utilised more. As it stands though, due to the high number of components that are packed in to this episode it would be difficult to see where exactly they could have fit this in. Carter's script highlights the idea of fear of the unknown, particularly in small towns, and the paranoia that follows when presented with something that's difficult to understand without delving below the surface. Despite their appearance the members of the Red Museum Church are in fact harmless and keep to themselves. Though in this small town it's difficult for the community to accept their belief system and the fact that they don't appear to follow the social norms, they are met with undeserved bigotry and judgement. Carter's scripts always contain a broader theme or message and this is the idea he's trying to get across this time.

Writer/Producer Glen Morgan disliked the treatment of 'The Crew Cut Man', feeling that his death scene was glossed over and not afforded the time it deserved. Considering this is the man who killed Deep Throat, who was such an integral component to the mythology, I agree that he could have been given some more screen time to develop his character a little more and I always half expected his return in later episodes. A gripe I could have with the episode is the lack of explanation for why the peeping tom was filming that particular family. At first it seems as though he's simply a psychologically disturbed paedophile but it's also possible that he was studying the boy in regards to the effect the alien DNA was having on him. At the same time though, it's not so bad to leave some things unsaid or unexplained. As I've said previously, if one where to nit pick every unexplained moment on the X-Files they would quickly develop a rather long list. Mystery is an integral part of the show and from another perspective we could ask the question, is it enjoyable to have all the answers laid out in front of you as clear as day? Or does a certain degree of mystery actually serve to draw us deeper in to this fictional world, strengthening our desire for more.

He Is One

Author: Sanpaco13 from Sandy, UT, United States
20 July 2008

Red Museum the Limerick:

"He is one" written onto a boy

By a man who once lent him his toys

Others kidnapped

Until one gets capped

And Scully uncovers the syndicate ploy.

I always forget just how much I LOVE this episode but I do. This is one of the best mythology episodes of the entire series. I think what I like about it so much is how it is sprung on you. The episode appears to be something completely different until about halfway through when Scully discovers the link to Purity Control and recognizes the syndicate's hit-man. The episode just has a very smooth flow despite the twists and turns that occur about every 5-10 minutes. It brings elements of creepy stalker guy with creepy diaper head occult with the same conspiracy theory elements that come from non mythology episodes as well as suddenly throwing in the alien conspiracy at the end. Another great thing about the episode is the idea of the walk ins that Mulder brings up early on. It makes me wonder if Chris Carter knew all along that Samantha's story would eventually wrap up as a walk in and this episode was early foreshadowing. It is the Church of the Red Museum that believes the walk in philosophy and it is the same philosophy that I reference in my review of Sein und Zeit. This is the perfect X-Files episode. 10 out of 10.

I liked was the pedophile-theme

Author: SleepTight666 from Netherlands
20 July 2008

Another pretty good episode, and not as slow moving as most of Season 1's mythology. I also like the fact that the Mythology was very different than it had been until now.

Another thing I liked was the pedophile-theme. It was maturely written and even though the guy who filmed those boys was a creep, I thought he was well acted and felt somewhat of a sympathy towards him. What I didn't understand is whether he raped the kids he kidnapped or not. I'm sure that they were in their underpants for a reason.

as much as I enjoy it, this episode is one of the most forgettable ones of the second season. best scene for me was when the kidnapped girl was hallucinating in the woods. Pretty surreal and creepy. Also liked the plane crash scene a lot.

I'm giving this episode THREE stars.

Smilie's tantra

Author: chaos-rampant from Greece
10 June 2013

In narrative terms X-files has been an astounding failure so far; twenty-something episodes, nearly twenty hours of narrative time, and we basically know that Mulder lost his sister and wants to believe, and Scully lost her father and is sceptical.

It boggles the mind that we're only at around this time beginning to know a third character outside the two with any dimension at all, Skinner.

It boggles the mind that in place of sketching a broader world for the main couple, we've chased around the dumbest monsters for episode after episode. That Scully keeps asserting logical explanations in spite of the many encounters she's had, that we've seen vampires, ghosts, werewolves and alien hybrids and the show hilariously still tries to entertain some ambiguity.

Here, perhaps for the first time we have something of what the show may have been in capable hands. It's all in the prologue—a baffling disappearance and discovery, with someone watching from behind a mirror, responsible for some part of it but we're not sure which. I don't mind that we go on to stitch on that the usual 'secret experiment' and 'government cover-up' plots, because pieces of the larger narrative just fall from the sky as in a film noir.

But we actually seen nothing extraordinary, we are small pawns tossed about in a larger game of control. Hints of broader mystery. Why was the man watching, filming? This is never addressed in its sexual dimension, which only adds. Both leads in the show are so asexual, it is something they'd overlook. It is a powerful causality outside the detective plot, the disappearances linked to secret experiments linked to secret watching each one generating the next level because there is so much pent-up energy in the gears of this world.