IMDb > "The X-Files" Je Souhaite (2000) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The X-Files" Je Souhaite (2000)"The X Files" Je Souhaite (original title)

« Prev | 160 of 207 Episodes | Next »

I wish...

Author: Sanpaco13 from Sandy, UT, United States
13 August 2007

Je Souhaite is a great episode. I have said before that Season 7 is one of my favorites even though often times it seems that many didn't like it very much. I think the Je Souhaite is among the great lighthearted episodes. It is always nice to take a break from the serial killers and monsters and just have a simple episode and I think that is one thing that this season does very well although some may argue a little too often. "The Amazing Maleeni", "The Goldberg Variation", and "Fight Club" are other examples of lighthearted episodes that I enjoy from this season. The only complaint I have for Je Souhaite is at times the genie seems to be overacting her boredom. But hey such is life. She does have other good shining moments.

I will only mention a few of my favorite scenes. The whole invisible autopsy and Scully's fun little dust scene are great. This of course leads to one of the other great moments when the body disappears and Scully doubts what she observed when Mulder tells her she can't deny it now because she saw it. I love how Mulder groans at this part. It perfectly sums up 7 years of frustration in dealing with a skeptic partner who won't believe anything she doesn't understand even when she stares it in the face. I also enjoy, as gruesome as it is, watching that poor guy trying to talk without any lips. Haha! This is an entertaining episode and although not necessarily anything super special I still give it a 8/10.

I Dream of Jinniyah

Author: Muldernscully from Roy, Utah
15 July 2007

Vince Gilligan, the master comedy writer for the X-Files, delivers once again with the gem Je Souhaite, French for "I wish". Je Souhaite is Vince Gilligan's directorial debut, and he does a fine job of that.

His directing style is pretty straight forward and he doesn't try any unusual or different shots that might detract from the viewing experience. That's good, because his story his funny enough that it doesn't need any "cool" shots.

The weird sound that played whenever Mr. Damfuse talked from the previous episode "Fight Club" is used once a again a couple of times in this episode. I don't know why they like to use it. It's just strange.

Kevin Weisman and Will Sasso are a riot as the Stokes brothers. These two are dumber than a bag of rocks. The manner in which they waste their three wishes each is comedy gold.

A special treat in this episode is seeing Gillian Anderson's understated comedic acting. From seeing her giddiness at putting the yellow dust on the invisible corpse to her subsequent actions involving the invisible corpse show how well she can do comedy.

I liked how Vince Gilligan worked around the potential censorship of sexual innuendo by using big medical terms. Just by hearing the words themselves, you have no idea what Scully is talking about. Only Mulder's exclamation gives you an indication about what happened to one of the jinniyah's previous owners.

It's interesting to see a genie(or jinniyah) in a rug instead of the classic bottle, as in "I Dream of Jeannie". Mulder even gives a nod to the classic series. In the audio commentary, Vince Gilligan tells how he wrote the part of the jinniyah for Janeane Garofalo. That would have been cool, although Paula Sorge does an excellent job as the jinniyah.

Je Souhaite is fun through and through and I have no complaints about it. Vince Gilligan proves once again that he is the king of the comedy x-files and you'd better wish that we'll be able to see works by him in the future outside of the X-Files.

The X-Files goes postmodern (again)

Author: n-town-smash from United Kingdom
17 June 2008

It's difficult to express how stupid I thought this episode was when I first saw it, knowing how much I've come to love it since. A story about a genie seemed so totally out of character for the show, as if they were desperately trying to find any ideas from the supernatural that they hadn't already done. But in retrospect, it's actually perfectly *in* character.

A lot happens: A guy (Anson Stokes) finds a woman rolled up in a rug in a storage locker. His boss instantly loses his mouth. Anson then gets a boat in his driveway and *then* is found dead, invisible, having been hit by a truck. Cue a wonderful scene of Scully dusting an invisible corpse with lycopodium powder while grinning like an idiot.

And it goes on, in the manner of what I think is called a "romp". And it sounds so profoundly stupid. But it isn't.

Rather than invent some tenuous explanation for the genie (possibly realising that, no matter how seriously they did this episode, it was always going to be *a bit* silly) they instead appear to have gone back to the roots and the whole point of the genie story. Far from simply giving us a parable about being careful what you wish for, by giving the genie to someone we know to be an intelligent, sophisticated person trying to act as selflessly as possible, we get the real message, ultimately, from Scully: these wishes represent not the danger of getting what you want, but of being able to get what you want without trying. Power isn't just dangerous for stupid people; it's even dangerous for people like you.

It seemed a little trite when I was a kid. In fact, it made me downright angry. Because at the time, I guess, I would've been totally convinced that, if I'd had the genie, I would've done things differently. Years later, rewatching it, I'm very aware of how poignant it actually is, in a very devious way, in telling us that basically we'd never be able to deal with all that power, no matter how wise we thought we were, and that the smart thing to do would be to just roll the rug back up. As such, it's a neat little story, deceptively lighthearted but not lightweight.

On another note: Paula Sorge is fantastically beautiful.

I wish for world peace, do I?

Author: Rodolfo Anzaldua from Mexico
22 December 2006

I am watching for the third time the X Files now, one episode after another. It isn't until now, that I have study a little about screen writing that I understand a lot new things an some other I understand better.

The script is the soul of the episode, without it It would be like a zombie or something like that. Well Vince Gilligan is an unsung hero. It was his writing that placed the X Files where they were, as the No. 1 Television Drama for a long time.

When I first saw at the beginning of this episode that it was written by Gilligan I thought It was going to be a marvelous episode, I wasn't mistaken.

When it come to writing, It's not the story itself, it is how you tell the story. So we can watch a lot of movies with a Romeo & Juliet spit but there are only a few that are good enough to be discussed at reunions. The same thing happened here. A story of a Genie, yes the same Genie, different place to live, but a Genie anyway. The story was great, watch it, live it, admire it.

Way to go Vince!

What's the occasion at the end

Author: tracetn from United States
20 January 2012

I do love this episode. I laughed my head off. I love Mulder's reaction when he gets three wishes. And, him cussing out the genie, while unknowingly being in the presence of an audience in Skinner's office is hilarious. The irony of the wishes is quite enjoyable. As usual, the actors are perfect for their roles. The brothers are so perfectly outrageous, yet so frighteningly real.

So, what's the occasion for Mulder and Scully to have a beer and watch Caddyshack? That's so out of character. Why was this written into the script? It's delightful to see them letting their hair down together, but I don't understand where it fits with the episode. Is there a purpose?

Funny...and so frustrating.

Author: John RossStar
8 August 2013

I couldn't help but be so excruciatingly frustrated at bros Dumb & Dumbest attempts at making meaningful wishes - like watching a slow motion wreck of stupidity. You can't help but wonder 'what would i wish for?'. The fact she couldn't care less about the outcome much less offered any guidance was telling.

It was really easy to miss but when the trailer blows up she falls back to earth already rolled up in the carpet and hits quite hard, letting out a muffled yelp.

They said at this point of the series, they were writing without knowing whether there would be a new season approved or not. So you can see why they'd tend to take routes even further from the beaten X-Files path.

(I'm in the middle of binge watching every episode as they are all free on Amazon Prime)

The X-Files knew how to be hilarious!

Author: rrvtjd from United States
31 January 2011

In the X-Files season 7 episode "Je Souhaite" ("I wish" in French), a listless employee at a self-storage facility in suburban St. Louis finds a Genie in a rug. But far from being a blessing, this Genie has become completely cynical after 500 years of granting wishes to the selfish and greedy. As a result, she grants people's wishes using the most negative interpretation possible, (ie., a man wishing for a yacht has it dumped unceremoniously on his front lawn, miles away from the nearest water). This is one of the wishes Jenn the Genie (Paula Sorge) grants to brothers Anson and Leslie Stokes (Kevin Weisman and Will Sasso). These wishes result great misfortune, due in no small part to their own stupidity. Agents Mulder and Scully, already investigating strange events surrounding the 2 brothers, question the Genie. Mulder experiences her cynical attitude firsthand, and learns of her wish to be released from the responsibility of granting wishes to undeserving simpletons. The story ends with Mulder having to choose between fulfilling his own wish, or granting the Genie with hers.

One of my top ten favorites.

Author: gonzosintheair from United States
6 April 2010

I love this episode because it supports my opinion that expecting peace out of the blue is just plain ignorant. Right now we have approximately 6.8 BIL people in the world. In order to achieve peace, all 6.8 BIL will have to agree with every Religious belief, every value system, every code of ethics, etc, etc, etc. Get the point? How, pray tell, can that happen. To those who believe it can and will happen, do you have some sort of top secret info to which you alone are privy??? Consider what happens, almost every time, when a new government takes over. Those who oppose are hunted down and silenced (killed). Like I said, LOVE this episode. I have a comment about Mulder's three wishes. I thought he would wish for his sister. He could have said to hell with being altruistic and wished for the complete truth about his sister. He could have worded them so that he could get his sister back, exposed the "Evil Group", destroyed the "Evil EBEs" and saved any more people from being abducted and tested. Hey, it's just a thought.

Je Souhaite Pour Quelques Chose Meilleur

Author: (andyetris@yahoo.com) from Philadelphia, PA
25 October 2006

It's the maw of the Monkey's Paw when a lazy dimwit cleans out an abandoned storage unit, getting three wishes from Jenn, a genie who only wanted a donkey and instead has gotten a lot of jackasses! When Mulder gets the chance to make wishes of his own he discovers... oh, YOU know! The ending is sort of a mild twist, though of course you could see it coming - the assumption being that no previous wish had affected the course of world history...

This is only an OK story, and wouldn't have been more than semi-comic filler in previous seasons. In THIS thriller-forsaken season is stands out like a beacon of quality! We have, of course, long passed the threshold of whether or not the X-Files happens in an alternative universe: magic happens here, get over it!

What really strikes ME about this Arabian-Nights-inspired subject matter is the degree to which non-Christian ideas have been overlooked in the X-Files. Muslim ideas about the nature of reality? How about Djinn as aliens? No, just some throwaway nonsense about magic in medieval France as we're dragged off in pursuit of cheap laughs and philosophical clichés.