"The X Files: Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose (#3.4)"

"The X-Files" Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose (1995)"The X Files" Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose (original title)

« Prev | 53 of 217 Episodes | Next »

Everybody Loves Bruckman

Author: Muldernscully from Roy, Utah
27 May 2006

It's amazing how you can feel differently toward an episode by viewing it at a different time in your life. Upon viewing this episode again, I remembered liking this less than Jose Chung's "From Outer Space", another Darin Morgan written episode from later in this season. However, after seeing Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose and the other mentioned episode, I can say I like this one more, both of them being great episodes. What makes this episode a 10 is Peter Boyle's guest performance. This is the best guest star performance I have seen in the x-files. Peter Boyle plays the reluctant seer. There is just such a believability to his character that makes you feel sorry for him. And now to other parts that I like about the episode. At the beginning, the police talking about a man helping them. You think they are describing Mulder, when it turns out to be the Stupendous Yappi, whom they are describing. Yappi is a hilarious character. I love how he uses his eyebrows in his expressions. I like how the killer is seen in the background of all the crime scenes. There is a cheesy deleted scene towards the beginning. You'll understand why it was deleted. They throw in a 'Beyond the Sea' inside joke when Clyde Bruckman says a blue piece of cloth is from Mulder's New York Knicks t-shirt. If, for anything, just watch this episode for Peter Boyle's excellent portrayal of Clyde Bruckman. It's a "can't miss" performance.

What a GREAT episode!

Author: bksutherland from Toronto, Canada
29 December 2006

This is a tremendous story and absolutely one of if not the BEST X-Files episode ever made. Witty wordplay, macabre plot twists, complex threads in a non-linear time sequence that challenges the idea of cause and effect, yet somehow rendered in a simple story which is easy to follow. There are many, many humorous and ironic moments, more than in a 'normal' X-Files episode. Particularly: Mulder stepping in the banana creme pie while pursuing the killer through a kitchen. In my opinion, this is also the best role/performance of Peter Boyle's career: he plays the principal character Clyde Bruckman. Don't miss it! X-Files Season Three, Disk One, fourth item.

Definitely one of the best X-Files episodes ever

Author: malicENBandarland from United States
4 October 2007

Peter Boyle was amazing in this episode and the way Moulder was almost like a little kid absolutely amazed. It was adorable. A very fun episode to watch.

Peter Boyle is always amazing in everything he does but in this episode in particular he gets to act in a very unusual role while maintaining his crazy old man who's adorable in an annoying way and of course just a little bit creepy.

Like the guy above me said, i don't have much else to say except that even if you aren't into the X-Files, this episode will make you want to watch at least a few more episodes.

My Favorite X-Files Episode

Author: loudprincess from United States
29 March 2007

Like many of the comments posted here, I have to say that this is my most favorite X-files episode, for many reasons. Like some of the non-conspiracy episodes, this one has a lot of in-jokes and references for the X-Files fanatics, but is so well-written that even first-time viewers can appreciate it. Peter Boyle's performance is nothing short of fantastic. His performance is subtle, yet he conveys clearly the struggle of his character's cursed clairvoyance and acceptance of fate. His Emmy for this episode is well-deserved. I also love this episode for its focus. Unlike a lot of the stories that concentrate on the romantic tensions between Mulder and Scully or on them getting into trouble with Skinner for doing a case he doesn't approve of, the focus is squarely on Clyde Bruckman's world, with Mudler and Scully as the observers. ***Spoiler*** The scene where Clyde Bruckman talks about his recurring dream of dying and decaying is particularly powerful and well-executed. Unlike many of the X-Files episodes which feature gross-out moments of blood, bile, and gore, it's done with a delicate hand that helps the viewer empathize with Bruckman's inner turmoil. ***End of Spoiler*** If I were to recommend an episode to anyone who's never watched the X-Files before, this would be at the top of my list.

Brilliant

Author: Bill Peter from Malaysia
28 May 2008

Mulder and Scully playing "straightmen" to Peter Boyle is priceless. The quote above about auto-erotic asphyxiation after Mulder has asked the psychic Peter Boyle how he will die is worthy of a T-shirt slogan. Are these quotes copyright protected?

I love the X-Files, but sometimes they can be a bit Poe-faced. This episode added just the right amount of humour, plus a bitter-sweet ending.

Young Frankenstein is one of my favourite films, and Peter Boyle's role here equals the one he had in that film and also acts as a model for his role in Everybody Loves Raymond. Mulder and Scully quite rightly just kept in the background acting as Peter's foils.

Do you have enough dog food?

Author: Sanpaco13 from Sandy, UT, United States
17 April 2007

Clyde Bruckman's final Repose the Limerick:

The incredible Stupendous Yappi

Gives a psychic reading quite crappy

But Clyde Bruckman it seems

Can see death in his dreams

Whenever he's taking a nappy.

Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose is by far one of the best episodes of the entire series. With an Emmy winning performance by Peter Boyle how could you go wrong. He brings in just exactly the right kind of dark humor that I think Darrin Morgan had in mind when he wrote the script and it works perfectly with the X-Files atmosphere. He plays an unlikely psychic who can see how people are going to die and fittingly makes a living as a life insurance salesman. The case is about a serial killer who targets fortune tellers because he feels he is not in control of his actions and is trying to find out why he is killing them. As we find out so eloquently when Clyde and the puppet meet the reason is because he is a homicidal maniac.

There are so many wonderful lines and moments in this episode that trying to list them or mention them all would make this a very long review so I will just name a few. I like in the beginning when the detectives are talking about hiring a specialist in to help with the case and specifically describe him as "spooky" which is a commonly known nickname at the FBI for Mulder and then when Mulder and Scully enter gracefully as is they were expected Cline only says "Who the hell are you?" and then "Oh I forgot you were coming." The episode also brings in a number of in-jokes and myths that will be used throughout the series. One of course is the Stupendous Yappi, then we have the introduction of Queequeg who will soon after be taken from us *sniff*, and finally the first hint that Scully is immortal and/or won't ever die.

This episode of course gets a 10/10 from me because you just can't get much better.

Best. Episode. Ever.

Author: n-town-smash from United Kingdom
17 June 2008

"Small Potatoes" got way more attention than it deserved. Yes, it was good, but it was very obviously meant to be a joke, from start to finish.

I say this because a lot of people don't realise that "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose" is one of the finest pieces of television ever made. What the aforementioned episode does with a sledgehammer, this episode does with sophistication, subtlety and care. The result is a very intricate, gradually unfolding piece of dramatic, emotional and tragicomical origami, which can make you laugh out loud and mist up in the space of seconds.

The story goes that one man is murdering psychics, cutting out their eyes and reading their entrails, because he believes he has predicted that he will. So far so odd, but then enter the psychic detectives, in the form of a wonderfully weird caricature of Yuri Geller, and his exact opposite, the old, unglamorous and awkward Clyde Bruckman, an apparently totally genuine psychic who is totally dismissive of his ability to see the future. While his obvious hindrance - that he can only see how people are going to die - is referred to, the story gains its real beauty from his belief that he cannot do anything about the futures he predicts, and from the agents' attempts to motivate him to actually help them.

The little insights the story shows into the characters - Mulder's inability to sleep after Bruckman describes his recurring dream, or Bruckman's little comment that he wishes he knew why he sells insurance, obvious given his gift, or the strangely endearing exchange between the killer and the psychic - elevate this episode above its quirks and gags, creating something which is genuinely very emotionally powerful as well as being very thought- provoking. Unlike episodes which rely on visual surprises, "Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose" benefits from repeat viewings, since details emerge which can only be understood in retrospect - something entirely appropriate, given the theme of the episode.

A gleaming paragon of excellence.

Author: BooHarv from United States
23 April 2010

If you haven't seen this episode do yourself a favor and watch it now. The writing is perfect, and the depth is nearly immeasurable. After reading about this episode on the internet, I found considerable amazing touches I had not seen the first few times I watched it. Yes, I've watched it several times, and I'm not usually the type to watch something over and over again. But, this one's different it's just perfect in its own little way. One thing I will say, and maybe it will drive some people away, but I would be negligent to leave it out, is that it is very dialogue driven. If you're looking for more of an action based episode look elsewhere.

"Maybe he's just lucky"

Author: bring_me_tp from United States
21 January 2011

I found this episode great. In some ways it was similar to the Twilight Zone episode, "One for the Angels" where a great salesmen talks death into giving him more time so he can make one great sale before he dies. It's really involving emotionally and the mystery builds and pulls you into more and more which builds the plot well. And of course, it is really that Mr. Bruckman is a life insurance salesman.

The character development is great, the opening with the killer is very creepy and plausible and concise; his lack of vision and frustration contrasts brightly with Mr. Bruckman's reluctant use of his gift.

Some great examples of the subtle character details: - how happy Mr. Bruckman is to conclude that the pie he senses in his vision is banana cream instead of coconut cream or lemon meringue -how the killer compliments the tarot card reader and lets him know he's going to kill him in the same sentence -how Mr. Jappy quickly seizes on Mulder and harasses him 'til he's out of the room -and, as always, Scully's slight reactions. I think it's the eyes or her mouth, but yeah... too cool.

There are great lines in this episode for sure, but there is also quite a bit of talking, which hurts the re-watch value.

This is one of my favorite X-Files episodes...

Author: calvinnme from United States
19 May 2013

... along with "Home" from Season 4, and I guess that's strange because it does nothing to advance any of the story arcs on X-Files, it is just a very smartly done episode.

In this episode Scully and Mulder run across Clyde Bruckman (Peter Boyle) who can see how everyone dies, but can't seem to do anything about it. He has no where and when and how details that will stop things. Even Mulder mentions that Bruckman's gift is a rather useless one when he and Scully are alone.

One particular poignant moment is when Scully is alone with Bruckman and he tells her of one premonition that involve the two of them. He says the two are in bed together and she is gently wiping a tear from his eye. Scully smiles, and tries to diplomatically tell him that's just not going to happen. But you know it does happen, but not the way that you think and not the way that Scully thinks. Check it out, I think you'll like this standalone episode of X-Files. When the X-Files came up with inventive episodes, nobody could beat them.

Just a note, and maybe somebody else mentioned it - Clyde Bruckman was an actual person. In his prime he was a writer for Buster Keaton and spent many a night making hamburgers in Keaton's mansion in the 20's coming up with ideas for his films when Keaton was still an independent artist. After Keaton went to MGM, Bruckman wrote for Harold Lloyd and then other comedy teams including the Three Stooges. Problem is, Bruckman's ideas began to dry up and he began to recycle material. No problem until he recycled Lloyd's material who sued Bruckman and his studio ... every...single...time. The end result? In 1955 Bruckman had a bad rep in Hollywood for being a lawsuit magnet, he was 60 years old, and nobody would hire him. He borrowed his old friend Buster Keaton's gun saying he was going on a hunting trip to Montana, went to his favorite restaurant down the street, ate his last meal for which he could not pay - he was that broke, and shot himself in the men's room, leaving a note apologizing for the mess. So to me, just say the name "Clyde Bruckman" in an episode title and I know you are not going to have a happy ending.