IMDb > "The X-Files" Chinga (1998) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"The X Files: Chinga (#5.10)"

"The X-Files" Chinga (1998)"The X Files" Chinga (original title)

« Prev | 107 of 207 Episodes | Next »

Or Bunghoney, if you will.

Author: Muldernscully from Roy, Utah
9 November 2006

With Chinga, you know you have something evil going on at the very beginning, when you have a little girl that frowns that much. Freaky! Stephen King, the well-known horror novelist co-wrote this episode with Chris Carter. Thankfully, Chris Carter's contributions save this episode from middle of the road mediocrity. Chris Carter's contributions are apparent with the witty Mulder/Scully dialogue that add some humor to the episode. Chinga isn't a bad story at all, you just expect something a little more original than a killing doll from the King of Horror. Also, I felt that the story was inconsistent with whom the doll chose to kill. It also left unexplained if the doll influenced the daughter to be sullen, or if she was like that before the doll arrived. Unfortunately, the best parts of this episode were the Mulder/Scully moments on the phone. Mulder has no idea what to do when Scully is not around. It was also nice to see Larry Musser return as a guest actor in the roll of Chief Bonsaint. It was slightly reminiscent of his role as Detective Manners in "Jose Chung's 'From Outer Space'", just not as humorous. Chinga is a good episode, but it wasted its potential to be something more.

"do the hokey pokey..."

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
9 August 2006

Chinga isn't one of the very best episodes from the X-Files, but as a piece co-written as the only one by Stephen King, it gives more than few obvious but quite entertaining moments. It's all predicated on something that has been in other King works- the girl who is more than a little 'off'. This time, however, her anger and hatred gets channeled- or just put into place- through a doll that was discovered by her (viciously made dead) father. It's also another in the crop of about 85-90% of King's work taking place in Maine, where Scully gets involved while- as she repeats to many- on vacation. The episode is basically for King fans like a short story not made into some overlong movie but a 45 minute film with lots of style trying to mingle with the very (not always necessarily) sly dialog and, of course, lots of violence.

In fact this might be one of the more violent ones in nature, as the special doll sometimes goes on cue based on the girl, or through a song "Do the hokey pokey", which in and of itself is kind of hokey too. Lots of harsh deaths involving clawing eyes out and ends met by witchcraft of some sort. While there aren't any scenes ala Child's Play with the doll running around doing the murders, there's still something sort of missing from other episodes that Chris Carter as co-writer doesn't quite get into it. If not for King's involvement it might've fared even less. But as it is I was glad I saw it, even out of order from watching all of the episodes now season to season, and there's some dry funny moments involving Mulder back at FBI headquarters with his theories and endless time to kill (I loved the little pencil gag at the end). Worth it for fans of the author, if only for the tongue-in-cheek bits, though X-Files fans thinking his name might mean brilliance might be disappointed.

I'm on vacation.

Author: AngelLysh from United States
30 October 2011

Mulder and Scully decide to take the weekend off and get away for a while and for Scully it means to actually get away, to Maine. I remember really liking this episode when I was younger and thrilled that it was co-written by Stephen King (even though I hadn't read any King yet back then). I watched it now and wasn't as impressed, but it was still a good episode. I read that in earlier drafts, in King's version of the script, Mulder and Scully's characters were way off. I wondered if he even watched the show. I'd love to read the early drafts, but thank goodness for Chris Carter. And while Scully pined for a relaxing vacation throughout the episode, I think she really was on vacation, at least mentally. She took a brief trip into Mulder-land, where the minds are open and the possibility of a doll making people kill themselves could actually be plausible. Mulder called Scully to offer statistics and facts, so very Scully of him. And this episode wasn't even about religion, where this role-reversal kind of phenomena usually takes place. So I guess the real winner of this episode is not so much the doll plot or the fact that it's written by the King of Horror, but our dynamic duo, their vacation from their own self, the beginning of throwing pencils in the ceiling, and their inability to truly be away from each other without some hilarious phone calls.

"Are you aware of the statistics on decapitation?"

Author: bigblue123 from United Kingdom
9 September 2010

Chinga is a good episode but it probably could have been better. Nevertheless it has many positive points.

It has an interesting and creepy storyline involving a little girl with a doll that is capable of causing people to injure and kill themselves. The episode certainly has the creepy X-Files atmosphere and has some rather horrific scenes, notably the scene in the shop when the doll causes people to begin scratching their eyes out.It is scenes such as this that really make this episode worth a watch. I also like the choice of song that goes with some of the death scenes.

However, arguably the best thing in this episode is the banter between Mulder and Scully. It is Scully who helps on this particular case (even though she is on vacation, as she stresses numerous times) and Mulder is back at FBI headquarters. Nevertheless their conversations over the phone are brilliant and really add to our understanding of their relationship. The end scene is one of the funniest ever in the X-Files. The supporting actors are all good too.

Other than the conversations between Mulder and Scully, the script is OK and the episode is ably directed.

Not one of the best but certainly an entertaining episode.

There's gotta be an explanation...

Author: Snipes from Netherlands
10 October 2008

Although co-written by Stephen King, the plot of this episode feels like a cheap horror flick. I'm a big fan of all of King's stories, but especially the ones in which he makes you scared of normal things or people. This episode had little "Stephen King" and lots of "Chucky". This is the first time that I've seen this episode (I've missed a lot when it was aired here) and I think it's worth seeing it for a second time, but only for the jokes and not for the plot. So 7 stars for the jokes.

****SPOILERS*****

The weak plot aside (I mean, why would they throw the burnt doll in the water?), I really liked the jokes. The one where you only hear the sound of the movie that Mulder is watching. And knowing what kinda movies he likes, you would think he's watching one of those. Only to find out it really was "The World's Deadliest Swarms". It was also fun to see that Mulder doesn't know what to do when Scully is not around.

Well, I'm off to work...Where's my pencil sharpener...

Unfortunately boring and annoying.

Author: noorutin from Cyberspace
11 January 2016

Of the entirety of The X-Files, I hate this episode the most, and it's mostly down to how annoying the main child character is. It's not a badly written episode per se, but it just misses the spark and intrigue that we all love The X-Files' cases for.

The opening in the store looks pretty cool, but we very soon learn that there's simply no meat on the bones of this lackluster story. The plot consists of the cheapest recycled elements and no twists are to be found.

The story revolves around a little girl and her mother, around whom other people seem to get hurt an awful lot for no apparent reason. I've seen all 9 seasons of the X-Files for at least five times, and the child character in this episode still infuriates me beyond belief, as does her mother's absolute ineptitude to put her brat in check. I guess some people find little children scary, but I only ever found myself extremely annoyed.

The only saving grace here is some funny and heartfelt dialogue between Scully and Mulder, no doubt written by Chris Carter.

Scully, marry me.

Author: Sanpaco13 from Sandy, UT, United States
13 August 2009

What can I say about Chinga? I like the episode as a stand-alone, but there are parts that kind of bug me. I like the fact that Stephen King was a guest writer but unfortunately it doesn't really seem like there is too much of Stephen King's influence other than it being set in Maine and having a creepy child in it. It could also have done without the doll silhouette everywhere. I thought the story would have been much better if instead of trying to portray it as this doll that goes around physically killing people, they portrayed it as a doll through which the autistic child manifests her bizarre ability to make people do what she wants. There are all kinds of accounts of autistic people having strange abilities including telekinesis. Anyway, it does have some great Scully shots, some good comedy, and some genuinely creepy scenes so I give the episode a 7 out of 10.

Tired plot stolen from an awful movie.

Author: erky82 from Minnesota
19 March 2013

This is one of the worst episodes of the show, right in the middle of one of the best stretches in its history. Unoriginal and predictable, you're better off watching the "Mystery Science Theater 3000" episode where they riffed "Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders," a movie made two years earlier with the exact same plot. At least the MST3K episode is will make you laugh.

Creepy kids + dolls + olde-timey songs do not necessarily equal quality suspense. This episode has a tired plot ripped off from a horrible Ernest Borgnine movie. The only redeeming aspect is that Gillian Anderson is looking super fly.

Skip it.

chinga episode.......

Author: JoBilodeau34 from United States
13 March 2009

Does anyone know where this episode was filmed ? I'm curious because i live in Maine. It says in the short summary of it, that its a small Maine town, it looks very familiar to me, is anyone from Maine so they can comment ? I did like this episode, it shows that, not only is Chris Carter is talented, but that he has a great imagination, along with Stephen King, to make great television. And the dialogue back and forth between Mulder and Scully is so funny, as usual. Its very spooky when they doll opens her eyes, i had dolls like that when i was a kid, no wonder some people hate dolls, LOL.

Thanks.