IMDb > "The Wire" Game Day (2002) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

"The Wire" Game Day (2002)

« Prev | 9 of 60 Episodes | Next »

"Let me understand, Avon loses a hundred large to me on a bet, then you bring me some of his s*** so that I can put your predatory self on his ass. Not his day, is it?"

Author: RainDogJr from Mexico City
30 April 2009

I would put this episode as one of my favourites, and well I will explain more about the dialog that I used for my title. "Game Day" is the title of this the ninth hour of "The Wire" and its first scene shows Avon and Stringer in front of their new talent, the n large and some more and Avon has a real talent that may put an end to the bad patch against the Eastside in the annual basketball battle" between Westside and Eastside. Also during that first scene Avon wants to know what is going on with Omar, Stringer says again that he thinks they should wait and when Omar is comfortable they end with him but Avon can't think in wait or anything like that.

The game day, as you already know after reading my title, won't be a very memorable day for Avon and during that day we get to see for the very first time Robert F. Chew's character Proposition Joe, from the Eastside and who as Avon does for the Westside coaches the basketball team in the annual game. Certainly the dialog from my title is said by Proposition Joe and is said to Omar who has really great and memorable parts in this episode. Omar makes the last minutes of this show truly awesome ones since he is there to once and for all end with Avon and hell Omar was close to do the thing, really close but…

On the other hand the basketball game allows to the detail to get a look at Avon, Daniels says that they should follow him yet McNulty doesn't think like Daniels, he is like "he ain't gonna touch drugs or money anywhere you can see him" but who the boss is. At one point Daniels will say about Avon "this guy's good" (I add they get a million dollars a month), certainly he is and that scene with Avon passing by Daniels is really good. This hour also has the first talk of (played by Wendy Grantham. Shardene is a dancer at Orlando's club and at this point she was dating D'Angelo) with Lester and Greggs. Is a difficult part, Shardene seeing how one of her friends ended; superb performance of Wendy Grantham.

Also there's a very interesting part with Herc and Carver. They took money from Wee-Bey, $22, 000 to be exact and Carver is clever enough to say to his partner why is a bad idea to steal some of the money, certainly the exact quantity that they took is on the wire. And then we have Daniels asking to Herc and Carver where is the rest of the money, he has $15,000 and he knows $22,000 wasn't much of a real lost for the targets so is really interesting, Carver don't trust in Herc and both are looking for the money desperately. They find it, it was in the car but will Daniels believe that? says one them and the other responds by saying "would you?".